BBC Suggestions

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
charliechaplinfan

Re: BBC Suggestions

Post by charliechaplinfan »

North and South was a very important novel in terms of who it talked about and what it achieved before this time books didn't dwell in the working man's house. Elizabeth Gaskell was a clergyman's wife who went amongst the poor and highlighted their plight. Her books, particularly this and Mary Barton both set in Manchster had questions being asked in Parliament and Queen Victoria raising the issue with the Primeminister of the day. I'm glad you're enjoying it Fernando, I particularly enjoyed Mr Thornton in this adaptation :wink:
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
feaito

Post by feaito »

Thanks for your valuable feedback Alison; today I watched the third chapter :D
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I've heard some good things about North and South, though I haven't seen it yet. I like Gaskell a lot. I have had the show in my Netflix queue for a long time now, maybe I should bump it up.

I can't wait for Downton Abbey this week!
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Say, Your Highness :wink:
What did you think of this week's episode? I have to say, I was squirming in my seat, waiting for the chauffeur to make his move! Whew! Wouldn't you love to have some one like Carson running your household for you? Love him! and LOVE the series. Poor Isobel, isn't she a terror? She certainly wants to take over the Abbey, doesn't she?
feaito

Post by feaito »

I finished "N&S" and I must say that it is one of the great miniseries ever produced...and those fans of the "Pride and Prejudice" miniseries with Jennifer Ehle and Colin Firth will enjoy "N&S" because the love story of the leads is quite reminiscent of the Elizabeth & Darcy story.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Fer - Now I have to rent N&S! I have a few movies that I promised to watch, so it will be a little while before I can get to it. Maybe I can sneak it in between movies!

Nan - I really love the way that Cora sideswiped Isobel so delicately, without ever being obvious about it. She used her charm and good looks to captivate the military doctor while Isobel was left in the dust.

I think I like that they are taking certain characters and making them less or more likeable this season. I like Mary more and more.

I really like Edith now too, and Thomas has shown a glimmer of humanity, though he's a cad through and through! And Isobel is probably the one most changed in my mind. Before, I liked her for her forthrightness, now it's becoming more threatening.

Below stairs, I like Anna and this new girl, Ethel, who is going to get herself in trouble. I wish Edith's farmer would come back, though my friend said she hated that part of the show and didn't know why they put that in. I thought he was charming. :D
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Jacks, I must have sneezed when they set up the farmer's story. I thought he was married to the woman at the farm? No? She certainly was jealous, didn't she 'fire' Edith? I agree about her likability, she is finding her way with ministering to the soldiers. And dear old Violet, only Dame Maggie could pull her off with such relish.

Did you know you can visit Masterpiece's website, read about each character and the actor who inhabits him/her, and also vote for that likability factor? Quite fun, and the press photos of some of the ladies are either airbrushed, or the make up artists are better than I realized!

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/dow ... _vote.html
feaito

Post by feaito »

Glad to read about your interest in N&S Wendy.

As for DA, I'm going to keep my mouth shut, because I saw the 2nd season during past December. I'm eager to watch the Xmas special which I got this week.

I only will say that I lent Downton's 2nd Season to my sister and that she's such a fan that she bought a Multi-Area Blu Ray player, because the one she had did not play Blu Rays from UK (the 2nd Season and Xmas special I bought it on Amazon UK). And she's liked this 2nd Season much more than the 1st one. My favorite characters are the Dowager Countess of Grantham, Lady Mary, Matthew, Mr. Bates and Anna.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

The farmer man was married, unfortunately for edith. I don't think they'll be following that storyline again, unfortunately. But I loved the way they laughed together and just had fun working.

So far, I like the 2nd season better.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

There were times I wanted to give the Edith and Mary a good spanking. TO be so cutthroat to each other is hard to imagine among sisters. Of course, I never had any sisters but still.....

How is Mr. Bates doing? I like Anna.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Mr. Bates uttered the infamous, event-fortelling (is that a word?) line, "I can get rid of her". he was referring to his evil wife, and how he could buy her off....but YOU KNOW what will happen.......oh, dear, oh dear......
feaito

Post by feaito »

I have just finished "Christmas and Downton Abbey" or the "Christmas Special", the last episode of the Season, which was aired in Britain, a month and a half after the "regular" 2nd Season finished, on Christmas Day, and I can only say that you're in for a treat in terms of plot advancing -and that as usual, all the witty sarcastic lines belong to dear Violet!! :D :wink: I thought it was going to be just a kind of "filler" episode, but I'm glad I was proved wrong!...I gather that in the US they're going to show this "special" episode immediately after the last episode of the "official" 2nd Season and that you all will not have to wait until Xmas day 2012?! Will you?...The Xmas episode is sold separately in the UK.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Yesterday I watched two episodes of the 2002 BBC Miniseries "Daniel Deronda", based upon George S.Eliot's work. It's a wonderful and completely absorbing feature, in which Hugh Bonneville (aka as the Earl of Grantham) plays a pretty despicable character. Also in the cast: Hugh Dancy, Romola Garai, Amanda Root, Greta Scacchi, etc. My wife and I are becoming addicted to BBC's miniseries! :D
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I remember when that one was on, I didn't get to see much of it. It has a great cast. I wonder what's happened to Hugh Dancy, he was in everything for a while, but I haven't seen him lately.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Hello Wendy, You should revisit it :wink: