What are you listening to?

Chit-chat, current events
Intrepid37

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by Intrepid37 »

Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: April 11th, 2023, 7:34 pm ... I'm going to listen to a truly brilliant lyricist and songwriter, John Lennon.
NOW you are talking. :smiley_clap:
Intrepid37

Post by Intrepid37 »

Yes, Dylan may have had songs like It's Alright Ma (I'm Only Bleeding) and Like a Rolling Stone, but John followed Bob with his best Dylan song You've Got to Hide Your love Away. Very similar lyrical capacity, to be sure.

EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Intrepid37 wrote: April 11th, 2023, 3:25 pm Why does my not understanding how people can disagree that the writer of such songs as mentioned is a brilliant lyricist (when that's clearly self-evident if one is actually aware of those lyrics) . . .
Let us agree to disagree.
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

Watch Out TCM Wizards!
Woof! You've Got Mail!
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

My favorite Mashup:

Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

THE DOORS

Intrepid37

Post by Intrepid37 »

Great find! on that Doors/Blondie video, Allhallowsday. Excellent!
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

Intrepid37 wrote: April 11th, 2023, 10:18 pm Great find! on that Doors/Blondie video, Allhallowsday. Excellent!
It's nine years old. :)
Sepiatone

Post by Sepiatone »

TikiSoo wrote: April 11th, 2023, 4:06 pm Haha, this thread has turned into a general thoughts/musings one.

Funny it's taken such an esoteric bend, but I too lament the loss of smoking. It was a ritual I enjoyed, but gave it up at age 30 so not to add wrinkles but maybe years instead.
I took up cigars in the 2000's or so, but no guy wanted to kiss a woman with cigar breath. I have a photo of my great grandmother smoking a pipe & if I ever own a Meerschaum would take it up in a second.

I'm a Scotch drinker and currently enjoying Ardbeg, Peat Monster & my all time favorite Talisker Storm.

And I also agree song lyrics aren't poetry, although some can work well for both like Sheryl Crow's "All I Wanna Do".

I like debate and don't care what your argument is as long as you're arguing about a subject, not another poster.
C'mon, we all make mistakes and our intended meanings can be misconstrued, but we dob't need to resort to name calling or singling anyone out.
Well stated considering it's from a cigar chomping drunk. ;)

But seriously, I miss smoking too. But if I never quit due to health issues I'd certainly would have quit more recently due to what tobacco products cost these days. Seems not that long ago that smoking dope was far less expensive that what it costs to smoke cigarettes today. And I don't drink, but don't really think less of those that do except for those that constantly drink to excess and think it makes them more "manly"(for the men that do) or more "friendly"(for the women that do) and for some reason think less of me because I don't.

The song lyrics aren't poetry statement reminded me of something from the past. The liner notes on Bob Dylan's first few albums were entirely taken up with his odd "free verse" poetry. And there was his claim that he considered his poetry as "songs" and thought of his songs as poems.I eventually settled on believing he was just messing with people by saying that.

Sepiatone
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

^ In a pure sense, a poem is a song... a song is a poem...
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

Woof! You've Got Mail!
Intrepid37

Post by Intrepid37 »

Thompson wrote: April 12th, 2023, 2:35 pm If anybody has attempted to read Tarantula by Dylan it will be clear as glass he is a songwriter and not any kind of other writer. His liner notes on the early albums are somewhat clever but, let’s face it, they are simple ramblings, they don’t have any oomph - when he sings “How Does It Feel?” there is plenty oomph. Song lyrics most of the time in the mind are associated with the actual song. You hear the song at the same time you consider the lyrics, they go hand in hand. Plus in a song there is melody harmony rhythm etc. and voice. When you think “Once Upon a Time You Dressed So Fine / Threw the Bums a Dime / In Your Prime / Didn’t You?” you are singing it at the same time in your mind. Same thing with Jim Morrison. His ramblings on paper are essentially meaningless, but when he sings, when those ramblings are put to song, they are captivating as all get out.
I read it.

Heavy slogging. I was confused - but I've never been particularly smart. Just an average intelligence quotient in all likelihood.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

Thompson wrote: April 12th, 2023, 3:23 pm Me too 37, we all like what we like, but we LIKE it, and that’s what counts. And music is very personal. It speaks to the “something or other” in the back of the brain. Sort of like food, if it taste good, goes down good, doesn’t bloat you up too much, we’ll heck, you are going to eat (listen) to that AGAIN!
Well said Thompson.
As a Country Music Fan, the songs about beer are endless. Here is one:
Woof! You've Got Mail!
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

Thompson, I don’t really listen to any modern music, except Smooth Jazz.
Don’t know any of the songs/artists mentioned.
Don’t care what anyone else thinks, I am do not care for Taylor Swift.
Everything Taylor Swift isn’t, Diana Krall is!
I have a couple more songs in the Cue Master for a little later.
The label reads, “LEAVE IN NEUTRAL.” There’s a reason for that.
Way back when, radio stations were not 24 hours a day.
Before turntables were belt or direct drive, they were “idler” or “rim” drive.
The idler wheel was metal on the inside and rubber on the outside.
It would press up against the inside (rim) of the turntable platter.
Leaving the turntable “in gear,” when not in use, would put a little dent in the rubber.
It really was like a gear shift from 33 to 45 to 78.
Using the turntable would eventually soften the rubber and the idler would be fine again.
Early on, it would make a little thump sound a trained ear could hear and laugh at.
Any questions?
Wake up Thompson!
Idler Wheel:
Woof! You've Got Mail!