Re: What are you listening to?

Post by CinemaInternational »

Dargo

Post by Dargo »

jimimac71 wrote: April 12th, 2023, 2:43 pm
jamesjazzguitar wrote: April 11th, 2023, 7:34 pm
...Anyhow carry on...
I've only used the quote function for and from one of James' earlier postings in this thread in order to prompt him and grab his attention and so to ask our resident guitarist a question about jimimac's posting of this Ten Years After recording, but primarily about its lead guitarist.

So James, why do you think is it that Alvin Lee's name often seems to go missing when lists of the greatest guitarists of all time are compiled and then posted?

(...I can't think of a reason, anyway)
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

. . . and here's the flip side of the Columbia 45 disc -- a, IMO, superior release because both A and B sides were solid gold!

"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Dargo wrote: April 12th, 2023, 6:13 pm . . . So James, why do you think is it that Alvin Lee's name often seems to go missing when lists of the greatest guitarists of all time are compiled and then posted? . . .
I don't know about Alvin Lee being one of the greatest guitarists of all time. But IMO, he was one of the greatest face-makers of all time. I found his mugging in Woodstock a turn-off.

"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

THE DOORS Waiting For The Sun

jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

Way back when, my brother purchased the album on an 8-track.
I enjoyed I’d Love To Change The World.
Think about it, American Pie also came from 1971.
The 10 Years After song was good then and still relevant now.
I love this Don McLean song:

Love this one too!:
Woof! You've Got Mail!
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

Love this one too!
Woof! You've Got Mail!
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

THE DOORS Strange Days

Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

ALVIN LEE may be left off lists of greatest guitarists because TEN YEARS AFTER had only moderate USA success.
Intrepid37

Post by Intrepid37 »

Sepiatone

Post by Sepiatone »

Allhallowsday wrote: April 12th, 2023, 12:46 pm ^ In a pure sense, a poem is a song... a song is a poem...
Well, remember in the movie SPARTACUS, also in which the Tony Curtis character is claimed to be a "singer" there's a segment in which he is asked to sing a song. And what he ends up doing is just walk around reciting words. Apparently, that was what "singing" was considered to be in those times?

DARGO: I couldn't begin to guess why Lee was left off of those lists you mentioned. Except possibly those who make them were told by others who to put on them, and those guys aren't too well familiar with him. I also wonder the same about Mick Taylor being left off those lists.

MILLSTONE: A lot of rock guitarists make funny faces. But yeah, Lee's take the prize.

To the others-----

I'm not necessarily big on country music, but I did prefer it more when it was more country and less rock.

Sepiatone
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Dargo wrote: April 12th, 2023, 6:13 pm
jamesjazzguitar wrote: April 11th, 2023, 7:34 pm
...Anyhow carry on...
I've only used the quote function for and from one of James' earlier postings in this thread in order to prompt him and grab his attention and so to ask our resident guitarist a question about jimimac's posting of this Ten Years After recording, but primarily about its lead guitarist.

So James, why do you think is it that Alvin Lee's name often seems to go missing when lists of the greatest guitarists of all time are compiled and then posted?

(...I can't think of a reason, anyway)

One would have to be specific about the type of list related to "greatest". E.g. top 25 rock\blues guitarist? top 25 guitarists, any genre?

I have created many listing of top 10, top 25, top 50 jazz guitarist, but when it comes to rock\blues guitarist I'm not qualified (due to lack of interest\listening), to create a list.

As for Alvin Lee: I saw Allhollowsday post, and his point looks solid: 10 Years After wasn't that "big" in the USA (and I would add the band and Lee had a fairly short run in the spotlight). I do recall listening to Good Morning Little School Girl. Has that song been canceled? It's getting cold outside!
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

MARTY ROBBINS Gunfighter Ballads and Trail Songs

norfious

Post by norfious »

Allhallowsday wrote: April 13th, 2023, 12:13 pm MARTY ROBBINS Gunfighter Ballads and Trail Songs

I am not a country music fan in general, but I really love this album. "El Paso" is probably my favorite song from it.
_Broadway_ from the TCM forums.
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

^I have long known "El Paso" and have it on at least one collection, but I only recently got a copy of Gunfighter Ballads because someone here turned me on to it... a big hit in its day, it's cool.