*CANDIDS*

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
JackFavell

Re: *CANDIDS*

Post by JackFavell »

Glenda Farrell - that's the best photo I have ever seen of one of my favorite actresses....she looks all soft and sweet.
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Ronald Reagan & Ann Sheridan during a break on "King's Row" set

Jack Benny attempts to measure up to Gary Cooper
Joseph Goodheart
klondike

Post by klondike »

Wow, what a unique pic of Susan Hayward :shock: - soft, alluring, playful, almost kittenish - virtually no trace of that sleek-but-steely toughness that so swiftly became part of her stock-in-trade!
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Producer Robert Evans visits John Wayne on the Paramount lot
Joseph Goodheart
klondike

Post by klondike »

Is it just me, or does Robert Evans not strongly resemble Laurence Harvey? :shock:
Moraldo Rubini

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

klondike wrote:Is it just me, or does Robert Evans not strongly resemble Laurence Harvey? :shock:
I thought he looked like James Drury there; but maybe it was the western ambiance... I love that we can see where the top of the cyclorama ends and the industry buildings behind it.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Vecchiolarry wrote:Hi Joe & Alison,

Yes, I too like Mr. Chaplin in colour. He looks good and very debonaire - I can see why Paulette Goddard loved him.
And, Martha Raye always said he was an extremely good looking man - - I don't know why she never married him (she married every other man in town!!!)....

Larry
I can see why Paulette Goddard loved him too, I think he got more attractive as he got older, I honestly don't think I've seen him in colour before. Martha Raye is so good in Monsieur Verdoux, she creates so much of the comedy, I think Chaplin was quite a generous comedian, he didn't mind others getting the laugh if that is what suited the construction of the film.

Martha Raye isn't very well known here, was she more of a TV star in the US.

The picture of Carroll Baker is very reminscient of some of the last shots of Marilyn. I think they both look a little undernourished but it was probably in vogue at the time.

The wrestling scene in Women in Love, I know it's in the book but I feel Ken Russell made it a little cheap. Alan Bates is one of my favorite British actors but I really didn't need to see that much of him to appreciate his acting talent :roll:
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi Alison,

Martha Raye did have a good movie career at Paramount and starred with Bing Crosby and Bob Hope in some films. She then went off to entertain the troops during WWII and came back to a lesser movie career.
In the early 50's, she had her own TV show and then worked mostly in cabaret & Las Vegas shows. Her Vietnam troops entertainment shows earned her a Presidential citation.
Unfortunately, her last years were spent as a 'semi invalid' with kidney and circulation problems and she was going blind & deaf.
In the end both her legs were amputated and the shock of the last amputation killed her.

She had a tendency to marry in haste and repent at leisure and some of those 6 or 7 husbands were brutes and very mean creatures who took advantage of her sweet and rather nieve nature.
Martha was a very attractive woman in person and had an ample busom (Mae West) and beautiful legs (Marlene Dietrich) and quite resembled Ava Gardner when she wasn't hamming it up.... Her 'big mouth' did spoil the Ava affect a great deal!!!

"Monsieur Verdoux" is probably her best movie - IMO but "Jumbo" (1964) is a pretty good one too....

Larry
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Didn't I read somewhere that Martha toured more extensively during wartime than almost any other performer? Please correct me if I am wrong, it's been years since I read it....
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

JULY 1st. BIRTHDAYS

LESLIE CARON is 78 today

FARLEY GRANGER is 84 today

OLIVIA de HAVILLAND is 93 today

SYDNEY POLLACK (1934 - 2008)

CONSTANCE FORD (1923 - 1993)

MADGE EVANS (1909 - 1981)

WILLIAM WYLER (1902 - 1981)

CHARLES LAUGHTON (1899 - 1962)

DON BEDDOE (1891 - 1991)
Joseph Goodheart
klondike

Post by klondike »

Somehow, Don Beddoe just never looks "complete" to me without a billiard-style briar pipe clenched in his middle-management Kiwanis teeth.
(You just know that his secret mission in life is to cajole Hugh Beaumont out of that brooding funk at the office Xmas party by clapping him on the shoulder & pushing a tumbler of Seagram's into his hand!)
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Hi Larry,

Thanks for the info on Martha, she made Monsieur Verdoux, it wouldn't be as good without her. I think her and Chaplin were a great match, thank heavens Paulette convinced her. It's no surprise to me that she found that many men to marry her, she looks like she had plenty of charm and a big heart.

I haven't watched any Bob Hope movies so that's why I've missed her before. In Monsieur Verdoux she is once seen, never forgotten. Did you know her personally? Did she tell you Chaplin was attractive?

I can't believe I know someone who has spoken to someone who has met Charlie Chaplin.

Alison
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Klondike, how about Beddoe with a cigar?
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Pat O'Brien with his son at a Hollywood lawn party for kids in 1953

Mamie Van Doren with her son Perry in 1958
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

KARL MALDEN (1912 - 2009) RIP
Joseph Goodheart