'Round the World Weather Report

Chit-chat, current events
ChiO

Re: 'Round the World Weather Report

Post by ChiO »

At about 7am, minding my own business while sipping coffee and reading a newspaper at the local Starbucks, sudden hysteria broke out.

Those wet globules were falling again. For 5-10 minutes, the world seemed a different place.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Thunder in the distance, and I'm hoping the rain coming our way isn't going to wash away all the dried up plants holding our topsoil in place.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

7pm, and its still 103....
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oh Lordy, knitty. Keep drinking that water. Golly, I don't envy you. Is it like Oklahoma out there, where everyone absolutely has to have central AC?
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

I actually burned my hand this afternoon on a metal thermal coffee cup left in the car. :shock:

yes, a/c is a must. There are so many poor souls without it, you hear about people dying in the heat, almost always elderly, who couldn't afford the cost of air conditioning. Frightening, and heartbreaking.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

We don't have a/c, but live in "the cave of the winds" with fans in most windows--though it still feels oppressive, even after a brief thunderstorm last night.

The state has asked everyone to quit burning brush, to refrain from leaving grills unattended, and to stop burning wood and leaves in backyard fire pits and fireplaces. We have had brush fires four times in my area, which is very unusual around this usually lush green area.

Knitty, do you think it would help prevent another accident with the metal thermal coffee cup and keep your car a bit cooler if you had one of those windshield screens when you have to leave it parked? I have never used one, but they are starting to look more practical. Please take care of your hand.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

I do use the screens. I have 2 that are on thin wire frames. You twist them to put them into a tight little circle for storage, and just 'pop' them open when you want to place them inside the windshield. They really do cut down the inside temperature. The problem is, you can't put them everywhere you want them (in all the windows) I guess you could try it with enough of the little buggers, but you use the sun visors to help hold them in place...
I think I'll go back and watch your snow videos... 8)
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Stepped out of the local revival theater at 9:45pm -- high winds and a blinding rainstorm. It was 77 degrees and I was shivering as I walked the two blocks to the car -- those 20 degree drops can be a shock.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

I can't say I miss the snow, blizzard and sub-zero tempertures that New York is susceptible to. But all of you take care of yourselves in this heat. Drink plenty of fluids, take a cool shower to bring down your body's temperature, and do be careful. Please click on this picture while I dive into a nice...cold...

"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I loved that Theresa, you are game for anything as they say over here :wink:
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
rohanaka

Post by rohanaka »

knitwit45 wrote:yes, a/c is a must. There are so many poor souls without it, you hear about people dying in the heat, almost always elderly, who couldn't afford the cost of air conditioning. Frightening, and heartbreaking.
Howdy Neighbor.. it has been a bit on the hot side around ole KC lately, hasn't it?? I hope we have heard the last of the heat related deaths.. but I fear the longer this goes on, the more there will be. I feel bad for the folks who have to work outside in it all too...or the folks who work in places where they don't have A/C. (my husband's job does have a/c in the office, but they do not have it out in the shop area.. they have big overhead fans and keep the loading dock doors open.. but it doesn't help much. Fortunately for him, he is the inspector so he gets to be in the office a bit.. but he does go out in the shop a good portion of the day too. They've been going in two hours early lately.. just to get a start earlier in the day so they can get out before the worst of the heat hits in the later afternoon.

Did you see the other day one of the local stations (channel five maybe?) was saying 108 for MTW next week???????????????????????????????????? And I believe it was this past Wednesday they said Lawrence, Kansas was the hottest spot in the US with 107. Oh me.. what a mess. You know, I am getting mighty forgetful in my old age.. and lately I keep asking myself.. "HMM.. did we move to Death Valley and somebody just forgot to tell me???" :roll:

Stay cool if you can.. maybe you need to install an oven mit to your drink holder to help you pick that travel mug up next time.. ouchy!
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

[u][color=#4000BF]charliechaplinfan[/color][/u] wrote:I loved that Theresa, you are game for anything as they say over here :wink:
HA! "Girl you are a hot mess," is what friends say of me over HERE.

Thanx! :)
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I guess it's the same compliment :) and it's a good thing to be.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Hi Ro!!

I'm so glad you are posting again. I've really missed your wit and wisdom..
Next time a TCM movie is showing locally, let's meet! We can ooooh and aaaah together... :D
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Ro and I went to see Singing in the Rain together.....well, at the same time anyway, she in KC and me in Mystic CT. It was fun knowing she was watching too.

I hope you guys do get together for the next group of movies, it's too bad there isn't one playing this next week to get you out of the 108 degree heat. Good golly!