Gone With or Without fanfare

Discussion of programming on TCM.
JackFavell

Re: Gone With or Without fanfare

Post by JackFavell »

My gosh! :cry:

My daughter was watching a Nickolodeon show about a "4 guys in a band just starting out and their antics" yesterday, and I said "You should watch The Monkees. This show would never be here if it weren't for the Monkees TV show back when I was a kid."

I could cry. He seems to me still far too young.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

On the other hand Mike Nesmith now looks like someone's grandfather.

I still have the first four albums I bought (or rather my parents bought) in 1966 and 1967. And another thing is that both seasons of the show can be had from Netflix.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I had them all and wore them out. Cherished Christmas presents.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

The weird thing is, I just put the first disc of Monkees episodes at the top of my queue, because of that conversation with my daughter yesterday.

Davey had a powerful, yet very sweet voice. Watching those clips I posted over at Dewey's Record Party, I was struck by how genuine a performer he was, just enough stage presence to put over a song, while still seeming good-natured. And as far as I know, he never acted like he was embarrassed to have been one of the Monkees.

I remember those albums, my friend Pammy had them at her house and we would dance all over listening to them over and over again.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

I love the Monkees ... This is my favorite Monkees Song ...

[youtube][/youtube]

Last Train to Clarksville ...
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Surprising and very sad news. RIP Davy Jones.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
Maricatrin

Post by Maricatrin »

He had a house in Beavertown, which is near to my neck of the woods. There was a front page obituary for him in the local newspaper, with warm recollections shared by people who knew him, or had met him during the Monkees reunion tours at the Bloomsburg Fair in 1986 and 1990. Here are a few excerpts:
He has also resided for many years in Snyder County after purchasing a farmhouse in Beavertown near Selinsgrove and continued to perform locally at venues like The Front Street Station in Northumberland, said former Fair President Fred Trump.
"I remember him as being fun. He liked to laugh. And he loved the fair. He cared a lot about it," Trump said.
"He was really good with the fans, particularly the handicapped children. There would be a line of wheelchairs and parents out there, and he would say, 'Definitely, bring them in'. And they would all get pictures or an autograph," said longtime backstage manager Bill Barratt.
"He took care of people. He took time and met with a lot of people he didn't have to. He did a lot of requests," Barratt said of The Monkees' time at the Bloomsburg Fair.
Barratt said he had recently discussed trying to invite Jones back to the fairgrounds for a post-flood* fundraiser, but he never got a chance to call him.
"Being he was in the local area, I'm sure he would have done it. I think he was that type of person. But it didn't happen," Barratt said.
Trump was saddened and shocked when he heard of the popular performer's death. "Last time I spoke with him, he was in great shape. This was very sudden. He'll be remembered as a gentleman and a fine entertainer," Trump said.
*Bloomsburg was hit last year with the worst flood in town history, causing the first cancellation ever in the history of the Fair.
https://www.youtube.com/c/MaricatrinsMusicVideos
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Only five years ago, somebody pointed out to me that "Last Train to Clarksville" contains a Viet Nam theme. "And I don't klnow if I'm ever coming home." I never got that!
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

So far, there's no talk of drug abuse. I hope it stays that way. It would be nice if this performer with a light, wholesome style lived a relatively healthy life. It would contrast with other celebrity deaths that, with all respect, we hear too much about.

It's surprising how this has affected me. It's said that when a childhood hero passes, you come face to face with your own mortality. This 20 year-old super star was only nine years my senior.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I agree, Red. I think that's how it's hitting me too.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

At some level me as well. I had the same feeling when George Harrison died. It was a natural death, a normal death, if you will. It is one that could happen to anyone at any time. It's a much different effect then Lennon's death had. It's a shock of a different kind.

It's all in what they mean to you. Andrew Breibart died this morning. Whatever one thinks of his professional work the sad part of is it he was only 43. He collapsed while out walking.

All life is fleeting.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Someone said the object is to die young as late as possible.
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

I am a "Daydream Believer" and always will be. Davy is forever our sweetheart!
:cry:
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

And our good times started then
Without dollar one to spend.
But how much, baby, do we really need?
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

He's not someone I'd have thought would be in danger of leaving us just yet. I still feel sad, I'm not old enough to have caught the Monkees the first time around but lucky enough to catch them on repeat in the early eighties and I loved Davy the best, I don't think it was the Brit thing, that barely registered, I think it was that big smile, it did it everytime.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin