Gone With or Without fanfare

Discussion of programming on TCM.
moira finnie
Administrator

Re: Gone With or Without fanfare

Post by moira finnie »

MissGoddess wrote:The (original) 60 Minutes cast seems to have all died now. I've never seen "Night Beat", thanks for the links...I'm curious about it because the description in the NY Times obit makes it sound as though it might have been the basis for an episode of "The Dick Van Dyke Show", where Rob (DVD) unwittingly is grilled by a hard boiled TV journalist into making his wife, Laura (Mary Tyler Moore) sound like a lunatic. I've always wondered what show might have been its inspiration.
I think I'll have to look for that episode, Miss G. How anyone would ever want to browbeat Laura is puzzling--though that show could magically weave real laughs out of the unlikeliest material.
RedRiver wrote:Oddly, I best remember Mr. Wallace from radio. I listened to MIKE WALLACE AT LARGE in the 1970's. A brief, daily broadcast, it didn't attempt the depth of his TV work. But it was direct and pointed. And theatrical!
I'd forgotten about those radio spots, Red. I now recall liking them, since it often gave Wallace a chance to reflect on issues of the day and spotlight smaller stories that would never have been deemed "hot enough" for 60 Minutes.
CharlieT wrote:I remember Mike Wallace as the host and narrator of the original David Wolper Biography series from the early 60's. My history teacher during my sophomore year used these episodes to showcase the major movers in world history of the 20th century.
Oh, yeah, Charlie! Now I remember them--with Wallace delivering the stories of everyone from Mussolini to Helen Keller to John Barrymore in a bombastic, but very effective punchy style and illustrated with vivid photographic footage. I think this and the old "You Are There" books were the kind of presentations that made me love history. A & E and the History Channel used to run these early in the morning in the '80s, though they may still be on youtube and on DVD.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Lord, yes. I'd forgotten about BIOGRAPHY. My family never missed it!
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

moirafinnie wrote: I think I'll have to look for that episode, Miss G. How anyone would ever want to browbeat Laura is puzzling--though that show could magically weave real laughs out of the unlikeliest material.
It was called "Ray Murdoch's X-Ray". No one browbeats Laura, Ray (played by Gene Lyons) just uses tricky, confrontational questioning to trip poor Rob into implying all the crazy stunts he writes about were inspired by Laura. It's really clever and funny, like most of them. :)

You can watch it here:
http://www.imdb.com/video/hulu/vi2680225817/
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Exactly. Laura's turn comes on The Stevie Parsons Show, where she admits that ALAN BRADY IS BALD?
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

That's right, Red, I'd forgotten how they both got tripped up on television by tricky hosts. I wonder if there was a game show host around at the time who was like that. I always assume they're satirizing real life people.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Thanks for the info and link about the episode, Miss G. I'll check it out.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Bob Schieffer is the only one left, I think, with his quiet southern voice and that intellect shining through his eyes. And Barbara Walters.

What I miss most about the hardboiled journalists of that era, that I grew up watching, is their unique "battleground" humor. Wallace calling he and his pals The Blues Brothers is a case in point. "Murrow's boys" I think some of them were, they all had such great and different personalities. You would never mistake a Mike Wallace for a Dan Rather, or a David Brinkley for a Charles Kuralt. They smoked too much, on air, which seems weird now, and exhibited a tough but humorous comraderie and bravado that no one seems to have anymore. These older men all seemed to be on some kind of a quest, they tried to walk that fine line of "objectivity" which seems to have been trod into the dirt until people don't even know what it means nowadays. I never hear of anyone actually trying to remain "objective" in the news today, which, now that I think of it, isn't news either.

I can only tell the announcers (I don't think you can truly call them reporters anymore) by their hairstyles. I sound like an old curmudgeon now, don't I? :D
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

The journalists of early TV went through a lot in WW2. They brought that rough, scrappy style into our living rooms.

I never hear of anyone actually trying to remain "objective" in the news today

Just today I read a story in the paper. I agree with the position it supported, so at first, I was pleased. Then I thought, Um...aren't they supposed to just tell us the facts?
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

moirafinnie wrote:Thanks for the info and link about the episode, Miss G. I'll check it out.
Me too.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Sad news from Santa Monica. Eternal teenager Dick Clark died today after suffering a massive heart attack. He was in the hospital for an outpatient procedure when he had the heart attack:

From the Hollywood Reporter:

Dick Clark, the successful TV producer and host of American Bandstand and New Year's Rockin' Eve, died Wednesday morning of a massive heart attack, a representative confirms to The Hollywood Reporter.

The 82-year-old died in the hospital following an in-patient procedure, according to a release from his family. "Entertainment icon Dick Clark passed away this morning (Wednesday) at the age of 82 following a massive heart attack,” the statement said. “Clark, 82, had entered St. John’s Hospital in Santa Monica on Tuesday night for an outpatient procedure. Attempts to resuscitate were unsuccessful. He is survived by his wife, Kari, and his three children, RAC, Duane and Cindy."

Clark had a massive stroke in 2004. Following that, he retired from hosting Rockin' Eve, handing over his duties to Ryan Seacrest and only appearing for part of the broadcast and to kiss his wife, Kari Wigton, at the stroke of midnight.

He also suffered from Type 2 diabetes.

____

Longer obits will likely appear on the web before dinner time.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

mrsl

Post by mrsl »

.To me, some people deserve special attention which is why I started a topic for Dick Clark down in General TV and Media. Many of the folks who belong to this particular site learned how to dress, do their hair, dance and just be teenagers from Dick and his shows. My good wishes go out to his family. I hope Dick is still spinning those disks wherever he is. Thanks for the teenaged memories!.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

I suspect that this one may touch a number of us of a certain age who remember running home from school to watch Dark Shadows in the late 1960s:

Jonathan Frid, who played the role of Barnabas Collins in the ABC daytime drama Dark Shadows, has died at the age of 87 years old on April 14, 2012 according to his former co-star Kathryn Leigh Scott.

Frid, born in Canada, was theatrically trained at the Royal Academy for the Dramatic Arts in London and received a master’s degree in directing from the Yale School of Drama. Before joining Dark Shadows, Frid had a successful stage career including a performance of Much Ado About Nothing that co-starred Katharine Hepburn and was directed by John Houseman.

Barnabas Collins made his first appearance on Shadows in 1966 after the show had already run for 211 episodes. The character was created in the hope of energizing the show and increasing ratings but Frid had only a 13-week commitment….he ended up on the show for nearly 600 more episodes, and transforming Barnabas from a guest into the show’s protagonist.

After the show ended in 1971 - the run included a 1970 movie, House of the Dark Shadows - Frid returned to the stage including a successful run as the murderous nephew in the dark comedy Arsenic and Old Lace. His co-star was Jean Stapleton of All in the Family fame.

Frid and the rest of the original cast will all make appearances in the Tim Burton-directed Dark Shadows film starring Johnny Depp as Barnabas. (Coincidentally, the film opens on May 11.)
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

The Phantom of the Paradise has died:

Actor William Finley, who starred as the title character in Brian De Palma's "Phantom of the Paradise" and appeared in many other films by the director, died Saturday, April 14. He was 69.

Finley's character of the Phantom in the 1974 De Palma pic, an updating of "The Phantom of the Opera" that also starred Paul Williams, is sometimes credited as an inspiration for Darth Vader in George Lucas' "Star Wars" films.

Finley appeared in several of De Palma's early films, including the helmer's 1962 short "Woton's Wake"; features "Murder a la Mod," "Dionysus" (which captured the seminal Performance Garage production of "Dionysus in '69" that starred Finley) and "The Wedding Party"; and the film that first brought the director to prominence, 1973's "Sisters," in which Finley played the ex-husband of Margot Kidder's character.

The actor also appeared in De Palma's 1978 film "The Fury," with Kirk Douglas, and in 1980's "Dressed to Kill," Finley provided the voice for the murderous female alter ego of Michael Caine's psychiatrist character.

Finley returned to work with the director for the final time in 2006's "The Black Dahlia."

The actor also appeared in a number of movies by other directors, including "Eaten Alive," Marshall Brickman's sci-fi comedy "Simon," Tobe Hooper's "The Funhouse," "Silent Rage" and Hooper's "Night Terrors."

As W. Franklin Finley, he contributed to the script for the 1983 comedy "The First Time."

William Franklin Finley was born in New York City and graduated from Columbia U. in 1963. He subsequently met De Palma while both were doing graduate work at the newly coeducational Sarah Lawrence College.

Finley and De Palma appeared in the 2006 documentary "Paradise Regained: Brian de Palma's 'Phantom of the Paradise.'"

Finley is survived by his wife of 39 years, Susan, and a son.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Paul Bogart, a director of television (The Defenders, All in the Family, and a Sondheim musical gem, Evening Primrose), and movies (The Three Sisters, Marlowe, The Skin Game), as well as a writer and producer of groundbreaking work has died. [As far as I know he was no relation to Humphrey B.] Below is the obit from the LA Times:
Paul Bogart dies at 92; Emmy-winning TV director
By Dennis McLellan, Los Angeles Times

April 18, 2012

Paul Bogart, an Emmy Award-winning director who launched his career during the days of live television in New York and later was a prolific director on the groundbreaking 1970s sitcom "All in the Family," has died. He was 92.

Bogart died of age-related causes Sunday at his home in Chapel Hill, N.C., said his son, Peter.

Beginning as a stage manager and associate director in the early 1950s, Bogart progressed to directing shows such as "Kraft Theatre," "The United States Steel Hour" and "Armstrong Circle Theatre."

He later directed numerous episodes of the acclaimed 1960s dramatic series"The Defenders,"for which he won an Emmy in 1965.

He also won Emmys in 1968 and 1970 for directing episodes of "CBS Playhouse" and shared an Emmy in 1986 as supervising producer of "The Golden Girls" when it won as outstanding comedy series.

From 1975 to 1979, Bogart directed nearly 100 episodes of producer Norman Lear's "All in the Family," the award-winning series starring Carroll O'Connor as lovable bigot Archie Bunker and Jean Stapleton as his sweet-natured, "dingbat" wife, Edith.

"Paul was a wonderful man; a wonderful, sensitive director who understood comedy brilliantly," Lear said Tuesday. "If there was a noble man among comedy directors, that was Paul."

Lear said Bogart was the "kind of thoughtful director who found humor in the nooks and crannies of things, so you were always surprised to find laughs where you didn't realize might be possible."

Bogart won an Emmy for outstanding directing in a comedy series for "Edith's 50th Birthday," a two-part 1977 "All in the Family" episode in which Edith encounters a rapist.

In a 2001 interview with the Archive of American Television, Bogart recalled suggesting a different approach for that memorable episode of the series, which was taped before a live studio audience.

Ordinarily, he said, "people shoot [a] scene and then they stop, the audience applauds, the actors go get some water, change their clothes, whatever they have to do, and we start another scene."

But he recalled saying, "If we're going to raise any tension here, we can't give the audience a chance to release their tension until the very end. So we have to do it straight through, going from scene to scene to scene to scene without a stop. So that's what we did.

"By the time Jean evaded this man, threw a hot pan of biscuits on him or something, and he screamed and fell back, the audience went wild, started to stamp on the bleachers and scream as she ran out of the house. That was the one place where I couldn't go into the next scene right away because they were still screaming."

The episode "was a big success and to do it that way was the wise thing," Bogart said. "I'm sure I did something good then because the audience did not have a chance to release its feelings until the crucial moment."

Bogart said in the same interview that he had joined "All in the Family" at the urging of O'Connor — "He liked me from the old days" — but he was "very hesitant because I did not like the half-hour comedy experience. It eats you up."

"You start on Monday, you struggle with a script, it's sent for repairs. It comes back, you work on it — you fix it, you fix it, you fix it. On Friday you'll do it twice before an audience. It works or it doesn't work. Or if it works and you think, 'God, I pulled that one out of the fire,' and you're happy and you go home satisfied, you just have to think that on Monday you're coming back to start this process all over again.

"It's endless. It's the Chinese water torture."

Bogart's many credits as a director include the series "Get Smart," "Archie Bunker's Place"and "Bagdad Café" —as well as the 1967 TV re-creation of Hal Holbrook's one-man show "Mark Twain Tonight!" and TV movies, including "You Can't Take It With You" (1979) and "The Heidi Chronicles" (1995).

Among his films as a director are "Marlowe" (1969), "Skin Game" (1971) and "Torch Song Trilogy" (1988).

Born in New York City on Nov. 21, 1919, Bogart served in the Army Air Forces during World War II as a tail gunner but never saw action.

Before the war, he answered an ad to become a puppeteer with the Berkeley Marionettes in New York, where he met his wife, Jane, the daughter of the puppet creators who put on shows in area schools. They had three children, Peter, Tracy and Jennifer, and were later divorced.

Bogart is survived by his children; his sister, Jeanette Gavaris; five grandchildren and four great-grandchildren.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks