This Is Dedicated to the Ones We Love

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

How about Ron & Nancy's nasty little secret: their son is a Democrat, just like Dear Old Dad used to be. And the boy can dance.

You go, Ron. And stay as goofily cute as you are. (Sigh)
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

:oops: Excuse my ignorance but I must ask, who is your secret crush Judith. Am I right in thinking he is Ronald and Nancy's son?
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Yes. That is Ron Reagan, and a lovely man he is, too.

He started out as a dancer, but his parents and their political advisors made him stop because they thought it was too "sissy" an occupation for the son of a manly president. He is a radio broadcaster, and appears occasionally as a TV presenter. He used to be the host of the broadcasts of one of the major dog shows (I forget now - was it Westminster?). He is a proponent of stem-cell research, and made an excellent speech at the last Democratic presidential nominating convention, making a plea for more funds. I find him a very personable and decent human being.

And he looks just like Nancy, before she had her extensive plastic surgery.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

A birthday today -- Dennis Weaver
Here's a question: Which came first, the screen persona of Tony Perkins, or Weaver's performance in Touch of Evil?

Photos revoked. Sigh.
Last edited by jdb1 on July 17th, 2008, 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Happy Birthday, Hoppy!

a/k/a William Boyd
Last edited by jdb1 on July 17th, 2008, 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
charliechaplinfan

Thanks for filling me in Judith, he's not really know this side of the pond.

What's sissy about dancing, had Ron and Nancy never heard of Fred Astaire, Gene Kelly and James Cagney, nothing sissy there :lol:
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Ah, Hoppy...my very favorite cowboy. Roy Rogers, Lash LaRue, Bob Steele, Dale Robertson, Jim Garner, Steve McQueen, Richard Boone....nobody could hold a candle to Hoppy.

I saw a docu on him not too long ago, it sounds like he was a very nice man in real life, too.

Happy Birthday, hero!
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

charliechaplinfan wrote:Thanks for filling me in Judith, he's not really know this side of the pond.

What's sissy about dancing, had Ron and Nancy never heard of Fred Astaire, Gene Kelly and James Cagney, nothing sissy there :lol:
Actually, I don't really think that either Pres. Ron or Nancy, being show folk themselves, would have had much objection to their son's career as a dancer. It was more likely the lunatic fringe of advisors around them who thought that it wasn't a manly enough profession. They also insisted that young Ron marry his live-in girlfriend, just so no one would think him too "artistic."

I saw him dance, only one time, on some TV show, and I thought he was very good - atheletic and graceful, like Gene Kelly in his balletic mode.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Today's birthday: Cole Porter.
Broadway and Hollywood (and so many others) owe him a lot.

Well, they take back some, but not others. Who can say why?
Last edited by jdb1 on July 17th, 2008, 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
charliechaplinfan

jdb1 wrote:
charliechaplinfan wrote:Thanks for filling me in Judith, he's not really know this side of the pond.

Actually, I don't really think that either Pres. Ron or Nancy, being show folk themselves, would have had much objection to their son's career as a dancer. It was more likely the lunatic fringe of advisors around them who thought that it wasn't a manly enough profession. They also insisted that young Ron marry his live-in girlfriend, just so no one would think him too "artistic."

I saw him dance, only one time, on some TV show, and I thought he was very good - atheletic and graceful, like Gene Kelly in his balletic mode.
Advisors, what do they know?
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

charliechaplinfan

Happy birthday Judy.

What a lovely picture of her :D
myrnaloyisdope

Post by myrnaloyisdope »

I just ordered a copy of Meet Me In St. Louis off of Amazon about 10 minutes ago.

She's a gooder.