MissGoddess

Re: Members to be TCM Guest Programmers

Post by MissGoddess »

"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

MissG, I had such a good time watching you last night -- don't worry about the giggle, it made you seem enthusiastic; that's the whole idea of this Guest Programmer thing, is it not? To promote enthusiasm about classic film.

But tell me -- since you look 18 years old now, what did you look like when you were 18? (Actually, you reminded me a bit of the young Carol Lynley. Anyone ever tell you that?)
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

jdb1 wrote:MissG, I had such a good time watching you last night -- don't worry about the giggle, it made you seem enthusiastic; that's the whole idea of this Guest Programmer thing, is it not? To promote enthusiasm about classic film.

But tell me -- since you look 18 years old now, what did you look like when you were 18? (Actually, you reminded me a bit of the young Carol Lynley. Anyone ever tell you that?)
Oh my goodness you are TOO kind (and my new best friend :lol: ) Yes, I've heard Carol before---and
it's extremely flattering (unless it were a comparison in terms of acting talent, HA!) Thank you, Judith. :oops:

Thanks to everyone, you are all so lovely. On to tonight! I've got my DVD-R primed and ready!
-- Will Rogers
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Darn you, Miss G.!
You made me look at GWTW all over again! I usually only watch pieces of this movie--if at all, anymore--but your heartfelt charm bewitched me into having the movie on for four solid hours while doing my taxes, (I guess I half-hoped you would show up again during the Intermission too). Now, if the IRS calls me up for an audit, I expect you to accompany me to that meeting and explain to the bureaucrats that your persuasive powers, warmth, and graceful expressiveness are responsible for any multi-tasking math mistakes I may have committed. Based on your performance last night, you can rest assured that those bean-counters would definitely understand once they find themselves under your spell as well.

Really, April, you were enchanting, as were Lisa M. with her apt comments about Gene "The Guy" Kelly and Rome's wonderful comparisons of Cagney to his family members. One of the things that I am enjoying the most about this event is that everyone is so individual in their comments and presentation. RO really showed his interviewing abilities too, drawing each person out as much as time permitted and showing his own apparent delight in this occasion.

Now for tonight's feast, with two of the best loved members of any message board where they hang their clever hats, Lzcutter/Lynn and Mongo/Joe, along with young Juan Castro, giving us hope that a new generation of classic cinephiles is coming along. Plus we get to revel in three movie genre at their best with exemplary choices covering film noir, a musical and a western:

Wednesday, April 15
8 p.m. ET/ 5 p.m. PT
Guest Programmer: Joe/ Mongo
Film: Double Indemnity (1944)

10 p.m. ET/ 7 p.m. PT
Guest Programmer: Juan Castro
Film: Swing Time (1936)

12 a.m.
Guest Programmer: Lynn/Lzcutter
Film: She Wore a Yellow Ribbon (1949)

Let the celebration continue!
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Hi Moira!

You make me laugh! I'm afraid the IRS would lock us both up if they saw you walk
in with me, ha haa!

Wasn't LISA MORDENTE marvelous?? I just can't stop talking about how much she
made me laugh. She and I had the early morning shoot on the second day and we
were both nervous as cats but she kept making me bust out laughing. She's very
"New Yawk" with her wisecracks and quick wit and had me rolling the entire trip.
Love her.

I passed out before Rome's turn but I have it recorded to watch, perhaps on my
lunch break today. I love his demeanor and authority in his TCM promo, so I know
he did great.

I also think it's FANtastic that we have a musical, a noir and a western on tonight.
Such happy diversity. Lynnie I'm so excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!
-- Will Rogers
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Many thanks for the promo of "Double Indemnity", April. It is cool, to say the least.
Again, you were wonderful last evening.

Thank you Moira, although I just wish that my hair wasn't pasted down and that I remembered to wear my glasses. Let the good times roll.
Joseph Goodheart
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Miss Goddess:

I hope the references to your giggle are not regarding the opening of my post. Whenever we talk, whether it's on the public boards or in P/M's I imagine you giggling and I was so happy you proved me correct in my minds' photo of you. I'm wondering how Lynn will do in my mind later tonight. Just so you know, your giggle was part of your charm last night and it is extremely infectious and made me smile and downright laugh out loud one time. I hope you never lose it. Like Lynn, I kind of expected you would be on again during the intermission and was kind of disappointed that you weren't. Terrific choice by the way.

I watch NCIS all the time, but guess who I'll be looking for in the background from now on, I probably won't even know what the case is about, I'll be so busy looking for Rome.

Does everyone realize this week is our own first anniversary here on SSO?

* * * * * HAPPY ANNIVERSARY ALL SSO MEMBERS * * * * *
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Thank you, Anne!

And let me extend my felicitations on SSO's FIRST ANNIVERSARY as well!

-- Will Rogers
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

I wonder how long MissG has heard comments about that wonderful giggle? I can only pray that, in her self-talks, she will realize she's probably got tons more fans of that giggle that it would ever have detractors. Maybe 99 to 1? 999 to 1? And the detractors would complain about something anyway. I kept watching the film liking of "lane" and "April", thinking I'd seen a perfect embodiment of that concept, so graciously converted to human form. Boy... Rita Hayworth looked good coming down from On High, too! ha ha...

Does anyone have negative feedback about this TCM "project" so far? I hope TCM will hear 100% positives, incredibly enthusiastic positives, too.

There are comments about having Robert O reconsider the Baldwin Hosting Contract. I hope that isn't an issue - I would LOVE for TCM to understand that their movie-fan hordes could provide an interestingly hosted program themselves, however. Hearing an enthusiastic and detailed discussion of OUT OF THE PAST, and being rather swept along by MissG's GWTW comments, it's obvious I'd watch many of these folks' intro's and outro's to their selected films.

Heck, I'd like to see the ensuing debates about their choices!
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Miss Goddess said "And let me extend my felicitations on SSO's FIRST ANNIVERSARY as well!
Uh, it's actually our 2nd Anniversary this month, but who's counting when we have such a big, wonderful celebration going on next door? On with the general revels, mes amis...

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Ho haaaaaaa! The years fly by like rabbits, what can I say, Moira! It FEELS like only ONE year. :lol:

Ollie---I'd PAY to see you on TCM, especially if Robert Osborne could get you going
on the subject of COMMERCIAL DVD RELEASING.
:mrgreen:
-- Will Rogers
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

I watch NCIS all the time, but guess who I'll be looking for in the background from now on, I probably won't even know what the case is about, I'll be so busy looking for Rome.
Anne,

You aren't alone! Mr Cutter and I have been looking for (and occasionally spotting) Rome on NCIS since we met him in November.

I learned at at the TCM sponsored screening of The Birds that we aren't alone, The VP of Original Programming at TCM does the same thing!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Joe!

Your socks were good but you were great!

Kudos for being so relaxed!

Loved the story about your grandpa knowing that you were at the movies but not knowing which theater.

I'm off to watch Double Indemnity and will pay close attention to the signs in the market this time!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Bravissimo, JOE aka "MONGO". You and Robert Osborne look like
you've known each other for years!

Oooh boy, I think you will soon have a lot of people looking for the "Ask Mongo"
thread!
:D
-- Will Rogers
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Joe, my longest lasting friend on the TCM boards, you were so charming during your sit-down with RO. I just knew you'd have an endearing Brooklyn accent since you've been writing with one for years. And btw, I won't mention your socks, but your hair looked fine! I loved your story about your Grandfather hunting for you with the matron and her flashlight and was practically cheering when you said "And Edward G. Robinson got rooked out of an Oscar" again!
Ain't it the truth. Somewhere Eddie is smiling.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks