Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
JackFavell

Re: BBC Suggestions

Post by JackFavell »

It's always nice to look at Hugh's face for an hour at a time. :D
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

The BBC have just dramatised Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks, it's gone down a storm here, I didn't watch it because I've loved the book so much the characters didn't look right. However to anyone who isn't as fussy as me it's meant to have been really good and got lots of people talking.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I just saw Birdsong listed when I went to look for the Virginia Cherrill book. I usually don't care for popular novels but this one really caught my eye.
charliechaplinfan

It comes highly recommended by me, it was quite a big hit here a few years ago, the same author wrote Charlotte Gray but that book isn't a patch on this. It's a love story coupled with the First WW, the descriptions of life in the trenches stayed with me, I had no idea it was that bad, I knew it was pretty bad but this really makes you appreciate history. Plus the love story is a good one.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

So many books, so little time! I'll check for it on the book machine. :D
charliechaplinfan

I know the feeling, it's nice to know they're out there though.
feaito

Post by feaito »

I finished watching "Daniel Deronda" (2002) (4 episodes); very good miniseries! Barbara Hershey is great in the last chapter as DD's larger-than-life mysterious mother. Greta Scacchi is also very good as Grandcourt's lover and mother of his children. Hugh Bonneville is excellent as the completely unpleasant Grandcourt. I will be watching more BBC productions for sure!

Alison maybe you can shed a light here: The other day I was watching a vintage 1975 or 1976 episode of "George and Mildred" and Jeffrey Fourmile said to his son Tristram that he could watch TV as long as he watched the BBC channel and not ITV. Since this character is a snob and a staunch conservative who loathes people from the working classes and their ways (like George Roper), does it mean that at the time ITV was identified with the popular classes and/or the liberals? I'm wondering because since ITV lately has produced classy period series like "Downton Abbey" and others; Did they change their target audience perhaps? Thanks for any feedback.
charliechaplinfan

Fernando, you've made me smile, Chris wasn't allowed to watch ITV when he was younger, it was banned in his house for that very reason. Until 1984 we only had 3 channels BBC1, BBC2 and ITV which was the choice of the working class, I don't remember my family saying anything like that but I do remember we watched more BBC. ITV used to have a lot of game shows and American imports like Charlies Angels, Bionic Women/Man, The Rockford Files. We always watched the BBC news never ITV.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Thank you very much Alison, that definitely explains it! :D
charliechaplinfan

We were allowed to watch ITV, Coronation Street is on ITV and has been running from 1960. ITV had all the programmes youngsters wanted to watch.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Are you telling me that Coronation Street is still running, after 50 years? Is it like the American soap operas? I have heard of it, but I always thought it was a popular show from the sixties through the eighties.
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Wendy I thought you might like to see these clips about Coronation Street, one featuring The Man From UNCLE, another about Katherine Kelly, who recently left with a bang. She's good enough for Hollywood

feaito

Post by feaito »

I'm watching the BBC miniseries "The Lost Prince" (2003), a truly outstanding series which tells the little-know story of Prince John, the youngest brother of Kings Edward VIII and George VI, who suffered from epilepsy and had also some brain damage. The story is told from the boy's point of view and is amazingly well done, comprised of beautiful vignettes: John's close relationship with his nanny (who adored him) and with Georgie (later to be the Duke of Kent, father of the current Duke of Kent, Prince Michael of Kent and Princess Alexandra); his remembrances of the Tsar's and his family's visit to UK; his difficult relationship with his father King George V; the fondness his grandfather King Edward VII had for him and most notably, the complex relationship with his mum Queen Mary (née of Teck); Miranda Richardson is amazing as her majesty. I have yet to watch the 2nd part!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Fer,

The Lost Prince is probably my favorite of the Masterpiece Theatre selections we have been shown over here in the last few years. I thought it was excellent, if terribly poignant and sad.
feaito

Post by feaito »

I agree 100% with you assessment Wendy. Looking forward to watching the 2nd part...

P.S. It has been a difficult watch for my wife, because she felt so, so sad about Johnny... and the kid actor who portrays him as a small boy resembles a lot her sister's son...
Last edited by feaito on February 5th, 2012, 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.