'Round the World Weather Report

Chit-chat, current events
knitwit45

Re: 'Round the World Weather Report

Post by knitwit45 »

Just heard from Judith (jdb1). She lives in NY, zone A, is supposed to evacuate but has decided to stay put. The dividing line between A and B runs down the middle of her street, and she and her family rode out Irene last year, no damages. Just stay safe, everyone!!!!
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Glad to hear Judith is OK and battening down the hatches! Hope Chris and the New York contingent, and anyone else on the east coast is OK. We are going to miss the hurricane strength stuff supposedly here in CT, but are ready to deal with power outages, wind damage and flooding, just in case.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Ugh. No matter where one lives there's always some force of nature to contend with,isn't there? Hope you have all your supplies in. It's a beautiful fall afternoon here, cool with lots of sunshine.
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

So far we're good. A little rain but nothing yet. Ocean City, MD about an hour south of Dover DE and 2 1/2 hours from me is getting some flooding but no real bad problems. Maureen's Starbucks, which is right on the water in downtown Annapolis is expecting sandbags tonight and probably not be open tomorrow.

Will keep you posted.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

So far we're good. A little rain but nothing yet. Ocean City, MD about an hour south of Dover DE and 2 1/2 hours from me is getting some flooding but no real bad problems. Maureen's Starbucks, which is right on the water in downtown Annapolis is expecting sandbags tonight and probably not be open tomorrow.

Will keep you posted.
Chris

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Good luck, Chris! Keep Maureen and CA at home tomorrow and the same for you if you can. We'll be thinking about you.

I'm trying to figure out how to get on the SSO without power.... :D
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

We'll keep a light on for all of you... :cry: :cry:
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

To all EAST COAST Members ... I will be thinking of all of you of this Frankenstorm that Professional Tourist mentioned earlier on this thread.

I been watching the news ... very interesting storm, I may add.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

The landmarked parachute ride in Coney Island

My friend and I went out to Coney Island ( Brooklyn, New York ) to see the roiling surf and waves of the Atlantic before Hurricane Sandy hits our area. If you're curious...click on the picture to see what it looks like.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Theresa I hope you got off that beach and got home safely. You take care of yourself, please don't go out making film whilst it's dangerous, I enjoy your posts far too much. Stay safe all of you and let us know that your all OK once you can get back online.

You've made our news and I'm worried about you guys.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

Well, my office is closed, so I canceled my car service for today. All NYC schools are closed today. Public transportation shut down last night. Beaches and parks closed yesterday. Libraries are closed. It's still calm in Manhattan right now, but things should pick up by afternoon. It remains to be seen if I can get any restaurants to deliver today. Maybe this morning, but probably not tonight.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Theresa ... thanks for sharing that You Tube Clip ... and most importantly be safe as Sandy approaches ...
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Nearly everything attached to a government east of DC is closed. The latest is that the storm is taking a more westerly track and may hit a little more south. Now there is a steady rain and some wind. It will get worse on both counts later today.

It sounds like the gang in NY may have some more issues.
Chris

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Glad to hear you are OK, Chris!

Hey T! Nice video... if you didn't know a storm was coming, you might overlook those little wavelets breaking so prettily behind you, never noticing that they look just a little fiercer than usual.

So far so good here in Mystic, we're famous now the Weather Channel has us as a location for their storm team! I got a flurry of emails last night as most of my friends and family thought we were going to die in the storm, the weathermen have them so nervous, lol. So far we are fine up on our hill, 2 blocks from the river the roads are closed though and the highways are going to close at 1 oclock.

Looks like all those pretty expensive houses down the street are going to be flooded though. Very sad. We are starting to have some big wind gusts, but I think it's going to be alright, the wind is northeast, so that's good for our house anyway, the majority of the living area is on the south west, and the houses are so close together on our street that nothing can fly in between, unless of course the siding rips off (just kidding, it doesn't look anywhere near that bad so far).

I'm using my electricity as long as I can! I am baking and cooking everything that isn't ready to eat in the fridge, just in case we have to binge on it when the power goes out.... :D :D
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Good luck Wendy, from a country that seems to be obsessed by the weather without having ever had reason to worry like you guys.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin