WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Chit-chat, current events
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I've been reading A Life Between Takes a biography of Joan Blondell. Only really knowing her from her precodes I decided to watch Nightmare Alley oestensibly a starring vehicle for Tyrone Power. Joan I felt stole the first half of the movie and looked great for 41. Tyrone is a carnival barker who gets in on Joan Blondell's act and then takes it to the big time. He's not satisfied with the small time and makes it into the big time, he gets his head turned and starts getting the patronage of very rich people. He is outwitted by a beautiful psychiatrist played by Helen Walker, he's becomes an alcoholic and finally ends up back at the carnival.

I'm not very fimiliar with Tyrone Power, from what I've seen he's much more than a pretty face. He can convey such a lot through his face which carries a hint of cruelness, he's great in the role of The Great Stanton.

A very good noir.

I had to watch La Dolce Vita twice to get the full impact. I think my favorite Fellini is La Strada, it just seemed so real, a glimpse of Italy of the time. Fellini is undoubtedly a genius but I think I prefer the films of Victor De Sica, Bicycle Thieves and Miracle In Milan requiring special mention and also the films L'Ossessione and Rome Open City.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Alison,
Wow, if you're going to become acquainted with Tyrone Power, you've started at the top of his form with Nightmare Alley!

Have you seen his other film under the direction of Edmund Goulding, The Razor's Edge (1946), which--despite its flaws, has something compelling about it for many viewers, including me? Though it is really interesting to see his films chronologically before and after WWII as he evolved and tried to change, some of my other favorite Power roles--in no particular order other than their appeal for me are Johnny Apollo (1940), Blood and Sand (1941), Rawhide (1951), Son of Fury (1942), Prince of Foxes (1947), Abandon Ship! (1957), This Above All (1942), and The Black Swan (1941).

I think that you'll find much to enjoy in each of these.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

I think Tyrone Power was pretty good in "Jesse James." "The Black Swan" is a lot of fun, but Power is only one item among many in that film's success.

I like "The Vampire Lovers" a lot.

Anyway, I saw "Five Easy Pieces" this weekend for the first time. I would like a movie to have more of a plot, but I have to say that Jack Nicholson's performance kept me involved. I liked this far more than "The King of Marvin Gardens." (But I guess most people did.) It was interesting to see a film (back to "Five easy Pieces") that was so involved with parent-adult child relationships. This is one film that one can't imagine being remade by Hollywood anytime soon.
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

Reluctantly watched Get Smart last night. (Took one for the team!). Anyone who is even remotely a fan of the TV series, or even if you hated it and everything Mel Brooks and Buck Henry ever did (which is impossible), do yourself a favor and avoid this movie like the plague. It's not that it's abysmal (although it is very, very bad), it's that it's so mediocre, and aspires to nothing other than...well, you know.

Can anyone tell me what it so "amazing" about Anne Hathaway? I don't get it. Granted, I've only seen her in The Devil Wears Prada (ugh) and now Get Smart, but I just don't see the big deal.
"Let's be independent together." Dr. Hermey DDS
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

MichiganJ:

To be honest, I feel the same way you do. However, I do have to say this. She is very cute, she's kept her nose clean (in more ways than one), and she has risen to pretty close to the top by appearing in mainly G-rated movies. To me, these are good things. I'm sure people will disagree with me, but she made me laugh in Devil . . . and she was adorable in both the Princess Diary movies, so I guess it's just a matter of to each his own.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

Re: Anne Hathaway - she was much loved by the little girls in our family in the role of Ella, in Ella Enchanted. (Well done screen version from a famous children's novel.) Hokey? You bet, but we all rewatch it and we jump up and sing and dance along with Find Me Somebody to Love. (I do the part of the lady giant.) Anne has a certain quality that the children perceive as very sincere. I'd like to see her stay young and innocent and give us those roles for a long time, but she had to move on to Brokeback Mountain. Yuck. I think she should have been in the new The Women but I guess it didn't go over too well so maybe it's just as well.
B
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I've seen Blood and Sand and that's as much aquaintance I have with Tyrone Power. I have The Sun Also Rises to watch too. I've heard of The Razor's Edge, that would be high on my list of Tyrone's must sees. I heard that he was a little typecast and that he wanted to be able to use his talents in more than swashbucklers.

From what I've seen, I like.

I can't help with Anne Hathaway.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

I just watched "The Purple Heart" for the first time on DVD, and I have to say I was really impressed.

It's odd how I always like Dana Andrews in a movie, yet I will never see a movie because he's in it.

It was interesting to see a heroic Richard Conte. Who would have guessed that he'd be playing hoods for the rest of his career? How did this happen?

As a historical matter, I was intrigued by the brash Soviet correspondent who appears in a couple of scenes. I kept thinking of this guy as "Richard Sorge," the soviet spy in Tokyo who (fruitlessly) passed a warning that Germany would invade the USSR to Stalin. The real Sorge worked as a correspondent in Tokyo, but I think as a German one.

Overall, I thought this was a strong, interesting and impressive film
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

Thanks to Fernando, I got to see The Lost Moment (1947) directed by Martin Gabel (his only film as director). This excellent adaptation of Henry James' The Aspern Papers features Susan Hayward, Agnes Moorehead and Robert Cummings.
In a derelict Venitian palace, lives the very old Juliana Devereau (A. Moorehead) with her niece Tina (S. Hayward). An ambitious American publisher (R. Cummings) learns about her and decides to rent a room in her palace. He would like to get hold of the letters of Jeffrey Ashton a famous poet who was Juliana's lover when she was a young girl...
The film bathes in a real gothic atmosphere. The old Venitian palace is moody like its inhabitant: the old Juliana who looks like a mummy and her niece Tina as starchy as her dress. The arrival of the publisher is going to upset the delicate balance in the house. He is desperate for the letters that could earn him a fortune. All the actors give really good performances and the use of the set is brilliantly done. It's a shame that Martin Gabel never had a chance to make another feature as this film was a failure at the BO... I can only recommend this one with Hal Mohr's brilliant cinematography and a moody score by Daniele Amfiteatrof. :)
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

I watched "The Desert Rats" the other day. It is an early Fifties film about the defense of Tobruk in 1941.

What interested me about the movie was that while it was from Fox and directed by Robert Wise, there was nothing American about it. The major actors were all British and Australian, and the Germans spoke German with no subtitles. This is one of those movies that I watch and wonder how the studio expected to make a dime on its investment. Clearly American audiences were different in 1953.

To me, the best part of the movie was James Mason as Rommel. He was electrifying in the three scenes he had.

Did Fox make this film to soothe British feelings after "The Desert Fox," which some saw as too easy on the Germans?
feaito

Post by feaito »

I am glad to hear that you liked "The Lost Moment" Christine, it's indeed a great, atmospheric film.

I have watched some films over the week:

"The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" (2008). It has some good moments, but it's extremely overlong and its premise is too far-fetched, especially in the last part of the movie. I think that the Magic Realism did not work very well. Another thing, I could not connect with the characters emotionally, so the film did not move me at all.

Since I'm finishing reading Swanson on Swanson I watched "Sunset Boulevard" (1950) in a Projection Room and it was a marvelous experience. It was like watching a new film! Such a great, great film. Superb, flawless, perfect, a masterpiece. Wilder was a genius, the actors top-notch, the sets and mood perfect... Swanson is magnificent, Von Stroheim ditto and my dear old pal William Holden, captures the essence of Joe Gillis. The most poignant, moving part of the film (for me) is when Norma returns to Paramount studios. All the details of the production, the unforgettable vignettes (Norma watching Queen Kelly with Holden; impersonating Chaplin and a Sennett Bathing Beauty; playing cards with the waxworks; New Year's Eve Tango; De Mille filming Samson and Delilah; etc.) A film worth of watching millions of times. A Drama, a Film-Noir, the definitive Film about Hollywood. A piece of art.

I watched the very funny British Ealing Studios comedy "Passport to Pimlico" (1949) with Margaret Rutherford in rather small but hilarious role as an Historian - I loved when she bowed in the presence of the Duke (Paul Dupuis) and kissed his hand. Sterling Holloway, Hermione Baddeley, among others, play Britishers who discover that they are really "Burgundians". Deftly filmed and paced. Superior British Comedy.
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

I rewatched Sunset Boulevard the other day, too. Unfortunately, not in a projection room, but it somehow still seems new every time, doesn't it? It's like I'm never totally prepared for it, never desensitized. It's it's own experience.
B
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

"Passport to Pimlico" is very funny. I especially enjoyed the two silly Englishmen from "The Lady Vanishes" and "Dead of Night" who play the two Foreign Minstry officials. (What are their names? Wayne and Bruce? Naunton and Bruce?) They add a lot to this movie.
feaito

Post by feaito »

I watched "Revolutionary Road" (2008) with Leo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet. Interesting film but nothing to rave about. Very downbeat. The leads accomplish good performances.
feaito

Post by feaito »

I saw a very good programmer: "Allotment Wives" (1945) which stars Kay Francis in one of her most energetic, powerful performances. She plays a mother who won't stop at nothing to obtain all the best for her beloved daughter. Gertrude Michael is also superb as her nemesis. Both actresses play hard-as-nails dames. Paul Kelly is a policeman & Otto Kruger Kay's partner in crime. Great entertainment and very fine performances. Tough film! Sometimes you're able to find hidden gems in films produced by Poverty Row Studios.