WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Chit-chat, current events
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

Birdy wrote:I rewatched The Rage of Paris with Danielle Darrieux and Doug Fairbanks, JR. I just love that film. I had purchased it, but do they ever show it on TCM? I wish everyone could enjoy it. Helen Broderick and Mischa Auer are a hoot.
B
Danielle Darrieux was a fabulous comedienne! :D You are absolutely right, but in France, she made a string a superb comedies which are sometimes even better than The Rage of Paris. My favourite: Battement de Coeur (1939). It's just perfect: pacing, dialogue, character actors, romance and heartbreak at times. 8)
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I've watched The Lion In Winter and Judgement at Nuremberg with my hubby. I marvel at the chemistry and skills of the leading actors, considering there must be a 20 odd year age gap between them, you'd never know. I can't say the actors playing the sons impressed me very much, especially Anthony Hopkins. Timothy Dalton is always good 8) .

Judgement At Nuremberg, I remember seeing it years ago. I remember it mostly for the cameo parts of Monty Clift and Judy Garland. I think all the cast acted their socks off, perhaps it was a case that when you are in a talented company you don't want to let the side down. My favorite, as always, Marlene. How strange that film must have been to make for her. The film itself raised interesting questions. I wonder if we receive it differently today to how it was viewed in it's time by audiences who had lived through the war.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
charliechaplinfan

Last night I watched Bad Day at Black Rock. Isn't it both picturesque and spooky when the train pulls into town? Really good performances but I felt the best thing about the film was the feeling of claustrophobia that the small town invoked, it was miles from anywhere and had very few buildings, everyone did know one another's business.

Last week I watched Cat People for the first time. That's my standard for horror movies, I really can't take them any more frightening than that. This one was pure escapism, the elegance of Simone Simon communing with big cats and unable to consummate her marriage to her mate because of the curse that hung over her people. I was quite surprised to watch Curse of the Cat People, although the plot was quite confused it came together very well at the end. It was a better sequel than I'd expected. Cat People was so well done, I didn't want a sequel to spoil it. I needn't have worried, it didn't.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Nancy:

I finally watched "Hobson's Choice." Both my bride and I enjoyed it very much. I love the way Maggie changes Will but also the effect that Will has on Maggie.

Early on she is all business. She is all about setting up her future. As Will becomes more confident she softens. She has lost none of her smarts but she certainly has become warmer.

Laughton is terrific.

Alison:

"Bad Day At Black Rock" is one of my favorite dramas. It is a small town and half of it is "In this thing" and the other half soends its time being scared of the first half. Everyone but Tracy, that is.

Good performances all around. Taut drama that benefits from its relatively short running time.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Chris, weren't Brenda DeBanzie and John Mills superb? I can hardly wait til it's on again, it has jumped up to one of my top favorites!

So glad you enjoyed it!

Nancy
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Thanks for pushing me to watch it. I don't know that I've seen De Banzie before but I like her. Mills' character just blossomed. The scene where he shows off as being boss now that Laughton needs to be taken care of is fun to watch because of the way they all react.

I also noticed Prunella Scales played the youngest sister. She later played John Cleese's overbearing wife in "Fawlty Towers."

I also enjoyed Tim Roth's intro.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

The only other role I can think of that Ms DeB. did was as one of the kidnappers in the Doris Day/Jimmy Stewart version of The Man Who Knew Too Much.
charliechaplinfan

Brenda De Banzie was in The Entertainer as Mrs Rice.

Hobson's Choice is one of my favorite movies. It's a prefect piece of comedy. I'm glad it's held in such high esteem by this board.

It's never explained who exactly Spencer Tracy's character is, he's a brilliant fighter though. I like Walter Brennan, he's one of my favorite character actors.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Spencer Tracy and Walter Brennan???? in Hobson's Choice??? What did I miss? :lol: :lol:

Maybe Bad Day at Black Rock?

It's a rainy ol Monday, and I'm not sure I'm really here..... :lol:
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

Ann Harding - I assume those D. Darrieaux movies are in french, right? Are some subtitled? I'll have to look in the online library collections because that sounds like a lot of fun. Thanks for the tip.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Last Saturday I watched "Old Acquaintance" (1943) a very entertaining woman's picture. It was quite a surprise to see a very young Gig Young (no pun intended) and beautiful Dolores Moran. Having read so much about the offscreen freud and fights that were going on between Davis and Hopkins, it was a thrill to watch the film, especially the scene in which Bette shakes Miriam violently! I must admit that Miriam's performance appeared affected and artificial in a way, and I don't know if she did it on purpose to upstage Bette or she really thought the character had to be played in that way. Grand entertainment anyhow.
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

Birdy wrote:Ann Harding - I assume those D. Darrieaux movies are in french, right? Are some subtitled? I'll have to look in the online library collections because that sounds like a lot of fun. Thanks for the tip.
Alas, you're right: no subs :cry: And on top, many of them are still not on DVD... :x
charliechaplinfan

knitwit45 wrote:Spencer Tracy and Walter Brennan???? in Hobson's Choice??? What did I miss? :lol: :lol:

Maybe Bad Day at Black Rock?

It's a rainy ol Monday, and I'm not sure I'm really here..... :lol:
You caught me out. I'm typing quicker than I can think. Happens a lot with the spoken word. My mouth works a lot faster than my brain :wink:
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Ah, but Alison, your brain works....mine was sent out for airing a long time ago, and never came back! :lol: :lol: :lol:

How are those precious babies of yours?
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

This morning, TCM started my day with "Captains Courageous". Wow, what a movie. I've seen it about a half dozen times and I still look forward to it every time it's scheduled. It's easy to see why Freddie Bartholomew was such a box office draw, and why Spencer Tracy won an Oscar for his portrayal of Manuel, the Portuguese fisherman. It's easily one of my favorite films. Lionel Barrymore, Mickey Rooney and John Carradine are also excellent. All the way around it's a terrific movie. You can almost smell the salt spray in the air while you watch. I'd heartily recommend it to anyone who hasn't had the opportunity to see it. Ship ahoy, matey!

As always,

Hollis