WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Chit-chat, current events
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

You know, Hollis, many people over the years have mocked Tracy for his performance as Manuel, but I love it, and I think he did a very good job of it. There is rarely any role Tracy took on that didn't ring true, and Manuel is no exception, as far as I can see.

Bartholomew was a great little actor, wasn't he? The farewell scene between him and Tracy, with Tracy dying in the water, is a real sob-getter. When I stood in front of that statue of the fisherman in Gloucester, MA, the whole movie came back to me.
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

Hi Judith,

I wasn't aware of any criticism of Tracy for his role in Captains Courageous. I don't see where there's any room for it. I think it's a wonderful portrayal even if his accent isn't dead on as Portuguese. It's an example of just how great his range as an actor was. I'd put it right up there with any of the roles he played opposite Katherine Hepburn. Some may argue with me, but that's how I feel.

As always,

Hollis
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

*MILD SPOILER BELOW* *MILD SPOILER BELOW*

Hi Hollis,
From what I've read, the main person who mocked Spencer Tracy for playing Manuel in Captains Courageous was Spencer Tracy! He hated the idea of playing someone with what he regarded as a corny Portuguese accent whose experience was far removed from his own Midwestern background, but most of all, he loathed having his hair curled for the part. While there have been remakes with actors such as Ricardo Montalban playing the role of Manuel, I think that there was a powerful connection between the extraordinary Freddie Bartholomew and Tracy in this movie that is impossible to replicate. I die every time I see Manuel slipping beneath the waves and think that Victor Fleming did a wonderful job bringing this story to the screen.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

Dear Moira,

AMEN!

As always,

Hollis
klondike

Post by klondike »

Beyond boasting powerhouse performances by Tracy, Barrymore & Bartholomew, I also believe that Captains Courageous was highly commendable (& recommendable) for the opportunity it provided John Carradine, in his atypically complex role of Long Tom, which I believe was pretty close to his personal best as a versatile character actor!
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

Hi everyone,

I just watched "Beyond the Sea" on IFC. The life of Bobby Darrin as portrayed and directed by Kevin Spacey. What a brilliant impersonation set in a highly entertaining film. If you haven't seen it, I'd heartily recommend it.

As always,

Hollis
klondike

Post by klondike »

Hollis wrote:Hi everyone,

I just watched "Beyond the Sea" on IFC. The life of Bobby Darrin as portrayed and directed by Kevin Spacey. What a brilliant impersonation set in a highly entertaining film. If you haven't seen it, I'd heartily recommend it.

As always,

Hollis
I'll watch anything with Kevin Spacey in it.
I almost said that I'd never seen him in an entirely bad movie . . but then I remembered Glengarry Glenross . . and that one felt like getting electrolysis with jumper cables!
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

Hey and good morning,

I'm having trouble believing that it's been 40 years since "Easy Rider" made it's mark on the landscape. Where in God's name did the time go? That's a lifetime and then some for some folks. I've been here and there over the years and seen and done things that most people would have trouble wrapping their minds around but even so, 40 years is such a long time. It makes you think of your own mortality and you stop and realize that there are many more years behind you than in front of you. That's a scary fact to face. At least it is for me. I don't think I'll ever be able to accept death as a part of life. i want to live forever, but I know I won't. So what do you do? Live every day as if it were your last? Or do you think about tomorrow and those that will follow? Sorry to be so philosophical but it's what I'm feeling. Like Frank Sinatra sang, "regrets, I've had a few, but then again, too few to mention". I forget who said it, an actress I think, "If I had it to do all over again, I'd do it all the same but sooner." There's a certain wisdom there. What's a poor boy to do?

Reminiscingly,

Hollis
klondike

Post by klondike »

Hollis wrote: i want to live forever, but I know I won't. So what do you do? Live every day as if it were your last? Or do you think about tomorrow and those that will follow? Sorry to be so philosophical but it's what I'm feeling. Like Frank Sinatra sang, "regrets, I've had a few, but then again, too few to mention". I forget who said it, an actress I think, "If I had it to do all over again, I'd do it all the same but sooner." There's a certain wisdom there. What's a poor boy to do?

Reminiscingly,

Hollis
Ma Frere, I seem to recall (and ya know the memory's the first to go!), that it was Frank Lloyd Wright (and a strange, randy, contrary ol' buck he was, til he went to bed & didn't wake up) that a man is only as old as he feels when a pretty woman laughs at him.
How's that for a measurin' stick? :wink:
In the meantime, just keep watching movies here in the dark with the rest of us . . it keeps the Reaper distracted! :idea:
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

Klonnie,

Does that mean that if I practice Judaism or some other non Christian religion, that the ghost of Christmas yet to come will pass me by? Or do I mark my front door with the blood of a lamb given that I'm the first born son of my parents? Or should I merely accept it and pray that I'm reincarnated as something better than I am in this life? If I understand the Hindu religion correctly, there's no limit to the number of incarnations a body goes through, given that the life force has to go somewhere. In that regard, a person basically lives forever but isn't aware of anything but the form that he currently takes. Maybe I should start wearing a turban?

As always,

Hollis
klondike

Post by klondike »

Hollis wrote:Klonnie,

Maybe I should start wearing a turban?

As always,

Hollis
Nay, start wearin' a kilt instead - you'll get much more attention from the lassies, and when that happens, who cares how long they live ?!!
:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Hollis wrote:Klonnie,

Does that mean that if I practice Judaism or some other non Christian religion, that the ghost of Christmas yet to come will pass me by? Or do I mark my front door with the blood of a lamb given that I'm the first born son of my parents? Or should I merely accept it and pray that I'm reincarnated as something better than I am in this life? If I understand the Hindu religion correctly, there's no limit to the number of incarnations a body goes through, given that the life force has to go somewhere. In that regard, a person basically lives forever but isn't aware of anything but the form that he currently takes. Maybe I should start wearing a turban?

As always,

Hollis
Actually, Hollis, reincarnations continue until you are able to reach an enlightened state, at which time you join the Great Cosmic Unified Field. I think most religious systems try to give us something to strive for, so that we don't loose interest in being the best we can be during our time on Earth. Your personality, skills and interests supposedly reflect your past experiences in other cycles.

There are those who have made it to Enlightenment, but choose to remain on earth to show the way to others. The Hindus call them Boddhisatvas; some call them saints, and some, as you and I know, call them Zadiks (which is a few rungs up from a Mensch).

I'm afraid I have quite a few more return engagements to go through until I'm ready.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Hi folks:

The old biddy has to put her two cents in here if you don't mind. Hollis, you said "I want to live forever, but I know I won't. So what do you do? Live every day as if it were your last?"

How often do you find yourself saying 'been there, done that'? I say it all the time, not because it's a catchy phrase, but because it's true. Between jobs, husbands, children, grand-children, friends, houses, areas I've lived, and all the little things that happen on different days, there is very little I haven't experienced. I've lost my husband, parents, my child, best friends, people I've loved and hated, held the lowliest jobs, and the most glamourous, I've know celebrities and homeless people. Yet there is always something new around the corner.

I'm content with my old movies, crafts, dabbling in politics, etc. Every now and then I want to try something new so I check it out in books. Ten years ago I would never believe I could someday be corresponding with someone from Sweden, or Puerto Rico, or some guy who used to live in Alaska and loves big sled dogs. Me, who is so afraid of dogs I don't go to my car if the neighbor collie is out for his constitutional and I know that dog has never hurt anyone, but I'm paranoic about my fear of dogs. Other than that, I'm a pretty normal person who has lived a full life but am not yet ready to leave it, but believe me, I know you have back and leg trouble, so do I, but it is still something I can live with, but if you are ever with someone who is in great pain from cancer or any other pain-causing disease, you will then understand how easy it is to pray for relief, either for you (if you're the one who's sick), or the person you're watching who is in pain.

Finally, the last thing. You know I'm not afraid to say I don't watch certain movies, that's usually because they deal with death. Now why would I watch something like that, when it could be around the corner for me? I don't mean movies where someone dies, I mean when the whole movie deals with one persons' death, like Tuesday afternoon with Morey (I might be screwing up the name), or United Flight 93, etc. movies with death as the main plot line. I don't see the point in visiting something I really don't care about, do you?

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

Judith,

Thanks for the lesson! Now I finally understand the Steely Dan song and it's bugged me for more years than I care to think about! I too am playing to a packed house and expect to return to reprise my role on Earth more than a handful of times!

Anne,

You make some good points. I guess the best any of us can do is to lend a hand to those less fortunate than ourselves and too many of us don't. That's a sad but true commentary, agreed?

As always,

Hollis
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

It's me again, hope I'm not wearing out my welcome but I'm in a typing mood I guess! I've just watched "Imitation of Life" (the 1934 version with Claudette Colbert, Louise Beavers and Warren William) and I fail to see why they sought to remake it 25 years later. Didn't they realize that it's damned near impossible to improve on the original? This version is superior in every regard (at least in my opinion). And the storyline is far more believable. I love Technicolor but even that failed to make Lana Turner and Robert Alda palateable). I'd call it a Stinker with a capital S!

As always,

Hollis