WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Chit-chat, current events
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Tomorrow is the start of a class I'm taking, Julien Duvivier: Master of Versatility. The films being screened are: POIL DE CAROTTE, PEPE LE MOKO (the only one I've seen), TALES OF MANHATTAN, PANIQUE, THE LITTLE WORLD OF DON CAMILLO, and DIABOLICALLY YOURS. You have me even more excited now.

The following night begins another class, Mizoguchi, The War and His Women, with the following (none of which I've seen): STREET OF SHAME, SISTERS OF THE GION, THE CRUCIFIED WOMAN, THE CRUCIFIED LOVERS, GION FESTIVAL MUSIC, and WOMEN OF THE NIGHT.

Too much is never enough.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

Oh! I have Lydia Fernando! I can copy it for you. :wink:
feaito

Post by feaito »

Thanks Christine!!! :D :D :D
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I woke up extra early this a.m. and watched the ballerina kill herself over 'the dance', then I was about 20 minutes into Leslie Caron, Ethel Barrymore, and the little boy . . . the whole 20 minutes trying to figure out who the little boy was. When it finally dawned on me, I was surprised, I never knew Ricky Nelson did work outside of Ozzie and Harriet until their show was canceled and he went on to further acting. He was very reminiscent of Tommy Rettig (TV Lassie), with his high pitched voice, hair line and cute, almost girly face. After that I cruised a little with the remote because The Red Shoes is another Citizen Kane to me. I know so many people love the story enough to make it special, but it does nothing for me, and happily I came upon Pinky.

This 195something movie missed it's potential mark regarding racism because of the times, although it did show a few regretful epidodes. However, the three leading ladies Ethel Barrymore, Ethel Waters, and Jeanne Crain all did a great job with some rather simplistic and mundane characters and dialog. Luckily I caught this one only about 10 minutes into the film, but like To Kill a Mockingbird and a few others, Pinky is one I stick around to watch to completeness whenever I run into it. It piques my interest every time. I try to check out the Encore and HBO stations every morning because quite often they show a really good oldie early but it's often not repeated later in the day like most movie channel movies. So you have to catch it in the early viewing.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
srowley75

Post by srowley75 »

ChiO wrote:Tomorrow is the start of a class I'm taking, Julien Duvivier: Master of Versatility. The films being screened are: POIL DE CAROTTE, PEPE LE MOKO (the only one I've seen), TALES OF MANHATTAN, PANIQUE, THE LITTLE WORLD OF DON CAMILLO, and DIABOLICALLY YOURS. You have me even more excited now.
Have you already seen Flesh and Fantasy (1943)? It's a lot of fun, even though it's probably overstating to call it a "horror anthology" as it's occasionally classified (it's more along the lines of suspense/fantasy). And like Tales of Manhattan, it's jammed with stars: Charles Boyer, Barbara Stanwyck, Edward G. Robinson, May Whitty, Bob Cummings, Thomas Mitchell, several others.
rudyfan

Post by rudyfan »

mrsl wrote: As usual, my buddy Mr. Klondike has me stupefied again with his 'sandwich' of Heston, Mitch, and Douglas. All I can figure is Mitch appeared in his usual vile self making Heston and Douglas look good. Unfortunately I know of a Mitchum/Douglas movie, but racking my brain trying to think of a teaming of Mitchum/Heston.

Anne
Out of the Past, a great film for Mitchum and Douglas (obviously). I can't think of a pairing with Mitchum and Heston.

Heston I do not get. Most of his films are pure torture for me.

Mitchum I love in anything I've seen him in.

Douglas, early up until around The Bad and the Beautiful. I cannot abide Spartacus. :oops:
klondike

Post by klondike »

I usually recommend The Naked Jungle to people who are having an adverse reaction to Chuck; I feel his role in this one breaks him down to the building blocks of his complex, sometimes nearly masochistic, swagger.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

OK I can admit to liking Charlton Heston in Touch of Evil but that's it.

Can't take to Kirk Douglas although I did like Out Of The Past, I love Robert Mitchum in everything I watch.

I recently watched Judgement at Nuremberg and that elevated my opinion of Burt Lancaster, plus I like him in The Killers.

Chio, let me know how you find Mizoguchi, I find his films compelling. i have a Japanese thread under People of Film.

Grandma and Grandad came up trumps today and took the kids and I did absolutely nothing apart from immerse myself in film (and made a carrot cake but that's for enjoyment whilst I watch)

High and Low Akira Kurosawa, a kidnapping drama, felt a little Hitchcock like to me, brilliant use of interiors, especially in the family's home. The film last well over two hours but I was completely hooked all the way through. A little disappointed at the end that the kidnapper didn't tie in with the back story, I think I've been conditioned by our own crime dramas to have everything tied up at the end.

Rashomon I wanted to revisit this as I've seen a few more Kurosawa films since I last watched this. A mesmerising film it had no less power second time around. This film brought Japanese film to the attention of the rest of the world. I like this film a lot but there are Japanese films, Kurosawa films I prefer.

Red Sorghum this is a new region 2 release. The film is gorgeous to look at and very lyrical, it terms of plot it doesn't move very fast and after the heroics of Hero and House of Flying Daggers my husband was disappointed but I liked it, I'm looking forward to seeing some more of Yimou Zhang's films.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Since at various times, I found many of these actors obnoxious as well, (except for Burt Lancaster), these are the following movies I usually try to get people to see who say they don't like certain actors....

Don't like Kirk Douglas?...have you seen Lonely Are the Brave?

Don't like Charlton Heston? ...have you seen Will Penny?

Don't like Robert Mitchum?...have you seen The Sundowners?

Don't like Burt Lancaster?...have you seen The Swimmer?...The Rainmaker?...Jim Thorpe, All American?...Local Hero?...Rocket Gibraltar?
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
feaito

Post by feaito »

I've watched a couple of contemporary films: "Beowulf" (2007), which was interesting and amusing and "The List" (2007), which was very disappointing.
srowley75

Post by srowley75 »

charliechaplinfan wrote:I like the early Brando but find him very hard to defend.
Could you clarify this, please?

I'm not a huge fan of Brando (can take or leave, though I used to despise him), but I guess I'm not understanding what you're getting at. Is it the fact that early on he starred in so many stodgy "studio" productions (e.g., Desiree, Guys and Dolls, Teahouse of the August Moon, Sayonara, etc.) rather than the more vanguard fare?
srowley75

Post by srowley75 »

moirafinnie wrote:Since at various times, I found many of these actors obnoxious as well, (except for Burt Lancaster), these are the following movies I usually try to get people to see who say they don't like certain actors....

For Douglas, I'd suggest The Bad and the Beautiful (1952).

For Mitchum, maybe Heaven Knows, Mr. Allison (1957), another of his outings with Deb Kerr.

For Heston, meh. I'm not crazy about Heston either, so I won't argue with you.
bryce

Post by bryce »

feaito wrote:I've watched a couple of contemporary films: "Beowulf" (2007), which was interesting and amusing
The amusing thing about this film is that there is an unrated cut which features, uh, Beowulf in all of his manly naked glory. The entire film. As he's beheading baddies and doing his thing. It's very...distracting. I guess that's what I'd call it. Especially when he's at, er, full mast, if you get what I'm saying. Which he is during most of the battle sequences.

I'm not sure what would possess a filmmaker to request such a thing of his animators. Insanity, I suppose. Wanting to make the most unintentionally hilarious and absurd film of all time would be the only other reason I could think of.
feaito

Post by feaito »

I definitely watched the rated version :wink: I had read that the uncut version displayed Angelina's charms in a more detailed way. I wouldn't have thought of this. I agree with you Bryce that it's quite a weird decision of the filmmaker!
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

moirafinnie wrote:Since at various times, I found many of these actors obnoxious as well, (except for Burt Lancaster), these are the following movies I usually try to get people to see who say they don't like certain actors....

Don't like Burt Lancaster?...have you seen The Swimmer?...The Rainmaker?...Jim Thorpe, All American?...Local Hero?...Rocket Gibraltar?
For Kirk Douglas -whom I like intensely as an actor- I would suggest Young Man with a Horn as well as Lonely are the Braves (excellent choice Moira!). But I have never been disappointed by any of his performances. He is very intense all the time, but I find him riveting. He came once on a French TV programme (in '87) where he spoke French really well and presented his book of memoirs. I still remember vividly his superb 'performance'. :)

For Heston (who isn't a favourite of mine) I would suggest The War Lord, a really astonishing film taking place in the Middle Ages.

And for Mitchum: Heaven Knows Mr Allison and The Night of the Hunter.

For Lancaster: Visconti's Il Gattopardo. He looks so patrician and Sicilian! 8)