WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Chit-chat, current events
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

So glad to read that, Fernando! 8)
Last edited by Ann Harding on February 22nd, 2009, 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Last night I watched the glossy & entertaining soap opera "Lucy Gallant" (1955) starring Jane Wyman and Charlton Heston, who work very well together. The great supporting cast is headed by the always wonderful Thelma Ritter, Claire Trevor, Bill Demarest, Wallace Ford et al. Edith Head makes a cameo appearance.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Last night I watched my last Kurosawa film Hidden Fortress. It wasn't until afterwards I learnt that this film had provided George Lucas with inspiration for his own film Star Wars. With the risk of being shot down in flames I much preferred Hidden Fortress. I thought Toshiro Mifune was more charismatic than any of the later films lead stars. One of the appeal of Star Wars is that appeals to young and old alike, Hidden Fortress might not go over too well with the young but it has a superior plot with it's twists and turns. An excellent Kurosawa movie.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
klondike

Post by klondike »

charliechaplinfan wrote:Last night I watched my last Kurosawa film Hidden Fortress. It wasn't until afterwards I learnt that this film had provided George Lucas with inspiration for his own film Star Wars. With the risk of being shot down in flames I much preferred Hidden Fortress.
You're right, Alison, it is a truly great film, particularly as an example of the Samurai adventure genre, and is far more satisfying than Star Wars, cinematically, but I'll go even further out on your "limb", and state that for my box office ticket-price, The Hidden Fortress is superior within its own genre, even to such highly-praised Nippon-feudal epics as Rashomon, The Seven Samurai, & Yojimbo!
charliechaplinfan

klondike wrote:
You're right, Alison, it is a truly great film, particularly as an example of the Samurai adventure genre, and is far more satisfying than Star Wars, cinematically, but I'll go even further out on your "limb", and state that for my box office ticket-price, The Hidden Fortress is superior within its own genre, even to such highly-praised Nippon-feudal epics as Rashomon, The Seven Samurai, & Yojimbo!
I have to agree with you. Hidden Fortress for me too is far more superior than Rashomon, The Seven Samurai and Yojimbo. I think it is the film that makes the best use of Toshiro Mifune's talents too.

I recently read that in Japan pre 1960's actors and actresses were expected to ride horses and do their own fighting and for contemprorary dramas, they provided their own clothes. I don't know if the same is expected today.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
feaito

Post by feaito »

I watched Joseph L. Mankiewicz's "The Honey Pot" (1967) a very interesting murder mystery with a top cast. Beautiful location shots of Venice and notwithstanding the talents of Susan Hayward, Cliff Robertson, Capucine and Edie Adams, this film belongs to Rex Harrison and Maggie Smith whose moments together are a gem! Maggie Smith really walks off with the movie in relation to the other three female leads. Some wondefrful, clever, very witty dialogue. Adolfo Celi is very good as a police inspector.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I watched an odd WWII movie called "Beach Red" with Cornell Wilde (also directing) and Rip Torn. Pretty good action sequences with lots of people. He tries to show that both Americans and Japanese both have things worth fighting for waiting at home for them. These things are told in a "Life flashing before your eyes" and "daydreaming of home" fashion.

What was annoying to me in these things were the women were very 1967 in their look and dress. Not a thing 1944 about them. I found that very distracting, but that's just me. They went to great trouble to get the right equipment, uniforms, guns, locations and everything and then mess up on a crucial element of the soldiers psyche.

THe acting was a little stiff but overall the movie was ok.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
feaito

Post by feaito »

I watched an excellent, crazy, offbeat, black comedy by the Coen brothers: "Burn After Reading" (2008). I really thought it's hilarious and I enjoyed it so much more than "Fargo". Brad Pitt is brilliantly funny in it; his comic impersonation really impressed me. As for such seasoned pros as Frances McDormand, Tilda Swinton, John Malkovich, George Clooney et al, what more can say?: I laughed out LOUD. Very clever comedy.

I also saw "Chaos Theory" (2007) another smart comedy, not as unique as the aforementioned film, but very good in its own way, with a great premise.
charliechaplinfan

I watched The Roaring Twenties for the first time. I like Humphrey Bogart better when he plays baddies, he's very good at them, James Cagney played the lead a soldier who had no job to go to at the end of the war. Eddie Bartlett, the character James Cagney is a little reminiscient of his early gangster figures but he has more heart, he looses his heart to Priscilla Lane, the only weak part of the film for me, I don't think they gelled very well as a couple. The direction was very good but I did think the movie just lagged a little in the middle. The ending is as memorable as ever in a Cagney gangster film.

Next I watched a movie that moved me profoundly. The Ballad of Narayama directed by Keisuke Kinoshita, I'd read about this film and the plot fascinated me. Shot in colour in 1958 and styled in part like a Kabuki theatre piece scenes faded out into darkness and the new scene faded in. The story is about a village that is on the edge of starvation and to deal with it's starvation problems when the villagers reach the age of 70 they are carried to the top of their sacred mountain and left to die. Granny Orin is approaching 70 and is putting her house in order before she makes her journey, a fellow villager has passed his 70th birthday but refuses to go, his family kicks him out and he resorts to begging. Granny treats her impending desertion and death as a spiritual experience having faith that she will meet with the Gods of the mountains.

The last quarter of the movie is concerned with her son carrying her up the mountain, he is heartbroken and once up there is not allowed to speak to her, it's incredibly moving as he leaves her in the snow. On returning home his new wife consoles him and tells him that is their destiny when they reach 70, his son rejoices that his grandmother has gone, there will be more food for him and that is the attitude of the village.
charliechaplinfan

I've just finished watching Adam's Rib. I really like the pairing of Spencer Tracy and Katharine Hepburn, I always root for Kate, is this a woman thing? Or do men find themselves on her side too?

The film itself doesn't lag for a minute, it's my favorite of their pairings but not by far. My only complaint is there isn't enough of Judy Holiday, I just love her screen persona, Monroe could have played that role, I find myself always drawing parellels between the two in their acting styles. Monroe was perhaps hampered by the fact that she was so stunning that I personally can't stop gazing at her and don't take in as much as I should.
charliechaplinfan

There must be only me with time to watch movies at the moment.

Angel 1937 directed by Ernst Lubitsch starring Marlene Dietrich a story of how a man learns to appreciate his wife through the adoration of another man. Herbert Marshall is Marlene's rather stuffy husband and Melvyn Douglas her admirer. Marlene is as alluring as ever dressed by Travis Banton. It's not Lubitsch's best film but it is good, well worth a look.

The Big Heat I recorded last year and mislaid it, it turned up, what a fascinating noir. One of the best I've seen.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I watched an unusual Preston Sturges picture called "The Great Moment." It is more or less a straight biography of Dr. Morton. He invented or perfected anestesia. It is the story of his developing the method for his dentistry practice and then trying to get it used in medical surgical procedures.

It is not quite the biography it hopes to be. At 82 minutes it doesn't explore a lot of the background but it hits the highlights of a career. As a Sturges film it is not devoid of comedy but it seems a little awkward at times.

Fine usual Struges cast consisting of Joel McCrea, William Demarest and small parts with Grady Sutton and Franklin Pangborm. In an unusual role you will find Harry Carey as the doctor who tests the formula during an operation.

Interesting for it being a different kind of Sturges film. I believe it is part of the box set of his films.
Chris

Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

movieman1957 wrote:Interesting for it being a different kind of Sturges film. I believe it is part of the box set of his films.
It was Sturges' last film for Paramount. he left in disgust as the studio butchered the film hence the fact that it feels awkward at times. :( Nevertheless, I found the film extremely entertaining and very near the truth when it shows that scientific discoveries are made by mistakes and chance! :wink:
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

The part about taking other's mistakes and making them the foundation for what he did I found interesting. The basis was the parts were already there it was just that they had not been put together the right way. It was a matter of adjustments. In fact, if Sturges had time the patent fight that was coming could have made an interesting aspect. Especially how it leads to his downfall and and early death. Those were just skimmed over or explained away in a conversation.

I was thinking this was going to be a comedy because it had Sturges' name on it. I was a little surprised but not really disappointed.
Chris

Birdy

Post by Birdy »

I just rewatched When Ladies Meet. 1933 Geez, was Bob Montgomery ever more handsome? And with a cast of Ann Harding, Myrna Loy, Luis Alberini and the charming, Alice Brady, what's not to like? It's rather a complicated plot for it's genre, and I'm not sure it even adds up. Alice's character 'Bridget' is bemused and befuddled and I can sympathize. Has anyone else watched this one lately?
B