Members to be TCM Guest Programmers

Discussion of programming on TCM.
movieman1957
Administrator

Re: Members to be TCM Guest Programmers

Post by movieman1957 »

Joe:

Someone nailed it when they said you look relaxed. You were most comfortable and I enjoyed watching you very much. I was surprised how much Robert asked you about your life as Mongo. Now the world knows we have known all along... a kind, good-natured man who loves sharing his knowledge. A fine job.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Thank you all for the kind words. I appreciate it. It was a grand time for me to be sitting
with Robert Osborne, a genuine gent. Even I couldn't believe how relaxed I was during the
interview. After over 60 years as a movie buff, it was the frosting on the cake.
Thanks again.

Joe aka Mongo
Joseph Goodheart
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

OK, confession time....
I have never seen Double Indemnity in its entirety. I was so taken with your intro, dear friend, that I had to watch! Wow, what an experience. Thanks for introducing me to this great classic, and thanks especially for sharing your time and knowledge with all of us.
A new DI fan
Nancy

and you looked and sounded great! Since none of us had seen you before this, the hair issue just wasn't an issue! And we got to see those great eyes, too!!!!! :o
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Holy Cannoli:

It's really a senior moment when you subtract 2007 from 2009 and come up with ONE!!!

Mongo you're beautiful. I wish TCM had arranged for time for real discussions with RO. The way most of you write and speak, it would have been a few wonderful 15 minute bits.

Lynn: Like Miss Goddess, you are just as I pictured you. Again, you speak just as smoothly as you write. I'm having so much fun seeing all of you "in person". I'm so glad you all applied for it.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Anne,

Thanks so much! I wish you had been there to help me with my hair. I needed some tendrils or something around my face to soften it a bit. Oh well.

As my buddy JackBurley says, "Your heart must have been pounding watching the first few moments" and it was. It started when I heard Robert O say my name. Never, in my life, did I think I would ever hear that.

After the initial shock wore off, I was okay. Jon cracked open a bottle of California Champagne. He had missed my taping due to food poisoning (not from the TCM party) so this was his first time seeing it.

Our baby turtle sat on Jon's hand for the first hour of the film and watched it with us. But, no, no bubbly for the pookie.

He seems to like John Wayne westerns. Go, Zorro!

Kyle and JackBurley are right, I should have kicked the ottoman out of the way so everyone could see my clean and shiny cowboy boots (courtesy of my "Godfrey" at the hotel).

I'm not the dress-up type and would have been much more comfortable in my jeans and a sweater but it was TCM's anniversary and some things you really should dress for.

All the points I wanted to make were there tonight and since I am older than dirt, I can't remember what we talked about that ended up on the cutting room floor. Oh wait, some things about Ben Johnson and about the Cinematography and Remington are coming back to me.

The emails from all my pals in Vegas are rolling in and they are just as excited as everyone here, so it has been a tremendous evening.

Thanks again for all the compliments!

And here's to my dad who was watching with us from above.

Looking forward to seeing my buddy Kyle tomorrow night!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Dear Lynn,
Your appearance opposite RO was intensely moving for those who only know you online, but your articulate comments should accompany all broadcasts of this film from now on! I loved the way you conveyed such a love of the Western and your two Johns--Ford and Wayne, (or is it three, given your real life Jon?). Your father would be very pleased, I suspect.

Btw, your hair looked fine and I loved your "dressing up" for the occasion. I particularly looked for your good luck silver pin on your beautiful jacket and I want that glorious skirt, which looked like a starry night under a Western sky. Still, all that fades when I think of the way that your eyes opened wide--along with your movie-lovin' spirit--when speaking about Ford, the location of Monument Valley and the performance of John Wayne. You may like to say you're "older than dirt," but I saw someone with the heart of an awestruck five year old!

I'll be darned if my dvr didn't have some kind of kerfuffle when I set it to record Juan Castro's intro and outro. All I got was the outro, but what an impressive young man! I'm hoping that TCM posts all the Guest Programmers' intros and outros on line eventually.

Can't wait for tonight when Kyle joins some new to me movie fans, Anna & Jeff:

Thursday, April 16
8 p.m. ET/5 p.m. PT
Guest Programmer: Anna Seager
Film: Seven Brides for Seven Brothers (1954)

10 p.m. ET/ 7p.m. PT
Guest Programmer: Jeff Hoyak
Film: The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956)

12:15 a.m. ET/9:15 a.m. PT
Guest Programmer: Kyle Kersten
Film: Meet John Doe (1941)
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

Congratulations Lynn, you were simply terrific! And although I've seen the film
many times, I found it impossible to stop watching once your heartfelt intro
was over!
[youtube][/youtube]
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Lynn!! You were so fantastic and cool and calm, I enjoyed every minute.

You know, it was when you segment was over that I was really hit by how little enough time there was. I wanted it to go on and on for at least twenty minutes more. You looked just lovely, as though
Captain Brittles was going to walk right in and ask you for the first dance at the end of the movie.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Joe, it was a real pleasure to see an Old Brooklyn Hand telling it like it was on national television. I think most of us of that generation got sent to the movies on our own during the day, especially in the summer, just like kids are plopped down in front of the TV and/or video games now.

I thought you looked very distinguished, and you made me think of Philip Bosco. You'd make a great police captain in some filmed-in-New York TV show! I am just loving this whole exercise -- good for TCM!!

Lynn, I didn't stay up, but I did record you, and I'm so looking forward to meeting you onscreen.
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Lynn, you rode off into the west last evening with bells on. You looked lovely, and expressed yourself with style and grace. I loved it! And it was so nice to see you again. Cool.

Anne & Judith, many thanks for your support. It was my pleasure.
Joseph Goodheart
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

If you've picked up some of TCM's DVD-Collections, some of those DVDs contain Osborne's intro-outro's as bonus features. I think these are always a great bonus for film fans.

I'm surprised that TCM either hasn't posted all of these comments with every film in their catalog. Or at least stuck them over on YouTube, where TCM's great "Remembers" series still reside.

This is my latest request to TCM - although I don't know if the guest-hosts would agree - but to have their intro's and outro's exist on the Internet for future reference.

Besides, maybe I can finally get enough rotting fruit to throw without someone making lemonade or guacamole! Jeepers...
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Hey Everyone,

Thanks so much again for all the kind words. I'm still riding high from all this!

I'm so glad you liked my movie and my presentation. I'm glad I was able to impart some of my love and thoughts about a film I love very much!

Thank you again!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Does this week have to end?...*resigned sigh*

Well, despite that wistful feeling that this Friday brings, it was a real treat "meeting" the Fan Programmers from last night, not least of whom was our pal, Kyle. His rapport with RO and his insights into Meet John Doe made me long for far more. I guess those years of listening to others via your job have helped you to be an observant man, as well as a thoughtful one, Kyle. Congrats on surviving the hubbub. You were wonderful, as was Jeff Hoyak, who looked like a really personable guy whose enthusiasm for film and impressions of The Man Who Knew Too Much jumped through my tv screen. Anna Seagar did what I thought was impossible. She made me watch Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, a musical with a charm that usually eludes me. Picturing Anna in the role of the young, fresh-faced bride wasn't hard at all, nor was this movie, which I should try to like more.

I can't wait to check out the intros and outros of the following, for a trio of really excellent movies tonight. The only thing that would make this event better, is if TCM could do this every year--but with all the fan programmers extended remarks on the website and maybe a programmer round table discussion thrown in for fun and enlightenment. Great stuff, indeed.

Friday, April 17
8 p.m.
Guest Programmer: Monica Elliott
Film: The Maltese Falcon (1941)

10 p.m.
Guest Programmer: Philip Himberg
Film: So Long at the Fair (1950)

11:30 p.m.
Guest Programmer: Jay Looker
Film: Silk Stockings (1957)
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

Sniff sniff, I'm going to be sorry when this guest-programmer project is completed. My only complaint - I didn't see outro's on the final film of these evenings!

I hope TCM will continue to do this program - to one degree or another, somehow, someway - but perhaps only have one per evening for a month or more. Anniversary Month instead of week?

Besides, I'm almost certain I can finally collect enough rotted fruit and veggies in a whole MONTH to toss at Cinemaven, Miss G and the lot! Having only a week to accomplish this - it's just too easy for Wifey to keep me chained to the dungeon wall! I'm always able to escape sometime every month... but only a week? Can someone reach that bobbypin...?