John Wayne, Lest We Forget

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
pvitari

Re: John Wayne, Lest We Forget

Post by pvitari »

Thanks for the link to the pictures, Lynn!

Here's s another link to an interview with Stern about his relationship with Wayne and his thoughts on the man and the photos he took.

http://lalettredelaphotographie.com/ent ... phil-stern
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Great photos! Thanks for those links.

Well, the auction of John Wayne's personal collections is history. If you would like to see the $5.4 m. realized for some of the items (like an eye patch from True Grit that fetched $48k) and other material sold, you can visit the link below at Heritage Auctions. If you register and login (it's pretty painless) that will allow you to see some beautiful, some silly, and some not as expensive as you might think items on this site. The letters to Wayne are absolutely fascinating. One of my faves is from Gregory Peck to the actor when Wayne was in the hospital and due to receive an award in 1979. The gist of the short, handwritten note from a flaming liberal to a die-hard conservative goes "Better get your conservative ass out of there to pick this up in person..."

Heritage Auctions John Wayne Collection
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

That's like the characters played by Walter Pidgeon and Charles Laughton in ADVISE AND CONSENT. They like each other! They just don't agree.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Whoa! A little more of Wayne than I'm used to seeing.

I'm still trying to make up my mind who had the better legs, Wayne or Coop.... :D
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Wally Cox is not in the contest?
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Did I miss Wally in those pics? lol, I think my mind went blank when I saw Wayne in those skimpy shorts, water skiing. :D
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I was totally impressed by the letters, Moira. It has made me think more about what kind of a man Wayne was. His conservatism was not as rabid or hateful as I thought. His correspondence with Paul Newman was an eye opener for me. What a great guy - one who can make fun of himself, and also be as thoughtful about where our country was going as any liberal. I wish those who hate Wayne for his politics (I was one) could read a few of these generous and amusing letters.
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

I have no idea how this came about, but this comedy skit performed by John Wayne and Bob Hope in front of a huge audience at what I think is UCLA is a SCREAM. John Wayne goes toe to toe with Hope and it's hard to say which one is more hilarious :)

http://www.archive-host.com/video.php?i ... 682b14.mp4
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

In one of his face-offs with Harvard jokesters, Wayne was asked if that was real hair or (something funny). The Duke frankly replied, "It's real hair. It's not mine, but it's real."
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Psychiatrist Dr. Siegfried Wayne counsels patient Ebenezer Bob Hope Scrooge.

:)

http://www.archive-host.com/video.php?i ... 3e1d42.mp4
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

http://www.johnwaynebirthplace.org/birthday/

(Go to the webpage, there's a lot more information about events scheduled for the 2012 John Wayne Birthday Celebration -- it's very Irish this year!)

movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I caught a John Wayne featurette from Harry Carey, Jr. on Sunday after "King of Kings." I doubt it's new but it was the first time I saw it.

I especially like the tributes like these where the presenter worked with and knew the subject. (Of course, you can't get much better than the Doris Day SOTM treatment.) Not only does Carey talk about him and his films but also the part that Wayne and Ford played in his life around the time of his father's death.

He also thinks Wayne should have won an Oscar for "The Shootist." I don't remember who Wayne would have been up against for the award but I think it is one of his best performances.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Wayne is sensational in THE SHOOTIST. It's one of the three or four outstanding performances of his long career. I don't mean he was only good several times. But he was even better than his usual excellence. I imagine TRUE GRIT was his last ride through award territory. Once he had something for the mantle, the changing culture wasn't about to acknowledge John Wayne again.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

The Alamo ... Starring John Wayne
This Saturday on the Military Channel ... 8:00pm Eastern, 5:00pm Western

In Officer and a Gentlemen Series hosted by Lou Phillip Diamond.

I'm going to be watching it.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

The blaring announcement of the opening credits' music...the cold dread I felt before the attack...the staggering grief when Ethan walks to the door of the burning house, drops to his knees...Ethan breaking with the Law..."that'll be the day." His single-mindedness. "No you don't Ethan! Ethan no you don't!!!"

No, I've never seen the film all the way through ( my pitiful confession ) but I am now. My God.
Last edited by CineMaven on April 10th, 2012, 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com