Has America gone Mad?

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
silentscreen

Re: Has America gone Mad?

Post by silentscreen »

Okay! :D I thought Sarah Palin was for s---t when she didn't finish her term!
"Humor is nothing less than a sense of the fitness of things." Carole Lombard
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Btw I have never voted for a Democrat for President or for a GOP'er.
silentscreen

Post by silentscreen »

I have gone both ways. I've become more Conservative in my older years, which I understand from my Liberal friends is normal. We have other intersts in common, which I also understand. That doesn't stop us from being friends in other ways. Trust me, I've learned to disagree in politics in political matters even with famly members that I've known for years. I still love them and respect their views if different from my own, and they know this. I respect both sides of the forum, trust me. If I interject now and again, it is only on a personal belief that I hold dear.
ken123

Post by ken123 »

silentscreen wrote:I have gone both ways. I've become more Conservative in my older years, which I understand from my Liberal friends is normal. We have other intersts in common, which I also understand. That doesn't stop us from being friends in other ways. Trust me, I've learned to disagree in politics in political matters even with famly members that I've known for years. I still love them and respect their views if different from my own, and they know this. I respect both sides of the forum, trust me. If I interject now and again, it is only on a personal belief that I hold dear.

I have always been left and grow more so as I grew older. :D
silentscreen

Post by silentscreen »

That is your right, and as an American, I could not object. But forgive me, if I don't sometimes agree.. At least at times you know that I'm not your enemy, only that I might not have the same view, Though I might, yor never know! 8) In this Geat Nation. it is our honor!
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Nearly every show that has guests on the past week has had Sara Palin on. My question is: Why????? I see absolutely no reason why anyone should be interested in anything she might have to say. I believe she should be squashed now so we are not bothered by her in 2012 when she might mess up a decent legislators chances by taking some votes away from him or her, not that I see any Republican I would vote for, but still you never know. About two and a half years ago, only Illinoians knew who Barrack Obama was.

Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Palin is a public figure who was a book to promote. Just the fact of who she is will generate some interest. Like it or not there are millions of people who are interested in her and what she has to say. Her ideals mirror those of many Americans so naturally they would be interested.

Frankly, I don't see her anymore qualified for White House than the current occupant so maybe she'll run for Congress. She can't be any worse than some of the people there now.

Squashed?
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

movieman1957 wrote:Palin is a public figure who was a book to promote. Just the fact of who she is will generate some interest. Like it or not there are millions of people who are interested in her and what she has to say. Her ideals mirror those of many Americans so naturally they would be interested.

Frankly, I don't see her anymore qualified for White House than the current occupant so maybe she'll run for Congress. She can't be any worse than some of the people there now.

Squashed?
Palin's ideals mirror just about none of mine, but I am in fact interested in hearing what she has to say. As has been said here in the last few posts, there is room in this country for many points of view, and Ms. Palin has a right to express hers just as I have a right to express mine. I am interested in trying to parse her thought processes to learn how she arrives at her conclusions, which are for the most part so different from mine. I don't think she's a felon, or an intentional hatemonger. I believe that she believes she has our country's best interests at heart. She has a way of looking at things that is shared by many of our fellow citizens, and I want to try to understand it. And since she is attractive and personable, and not patronizing or visibly insane like some other media hogs of her political persuasion, I find it easier and more instructive to listen to her than to them, even if I don't embrace her philosophy.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Hi Chris: Yes, squashed, not physically, just media-wise.

jdb: I guess I was a little harsh, but as I said, I would hate to see her mess up a good candidates chances. I only wish Obama is able to complete his plan to have half the guys out of the MIddle East by the end of 2010. Then maybe some folks will see he is doing some good as well as make a lot of our dear Southerners realize many of them are almost as black as he is considering how many of their great, great, great grandfathers populated their plantations. Nobody ever seems to remind them of that when they raise their banners that define black/white differences.

The only thing I have against black people is their habit of calling themselves African-American. If that is the case, we should all be referred to a Italian American, German American, Irish American, etc., which gives the impression one plans to return to one's homeland. Italy is not my homeland since I was born and raised right here in the good old U.S. of A, along nearly the entire black population of America. So, I'll never understand their right to that specific designation - much like the Dallas Cowboys calling themselves America's team. Boy, that used to burn my buns. Where did Dallas get off calling themselves that as if the rest of the NFL didn't exist within the confines of American borders?

Sorry, I'll get off my soapbox now. I'm just so tired of all the racist crap that keeps following Obama everywhere and in everything he does, like how low to bow to an elderly foreign statesman - how much of a cheap shot is that?

Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
klondike

Post by klondike »

YAHOOO!
Let's all give a hand to a couple of senators with more than cotton batting between their ears and their legs:

WASHINGTON, November 19 – Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) and Sen. Charles Grassley (R-Iowa) today introduced legislation to prohibit major firms that lay off large numbers of American workers from hiring cheaper foreign labor through temporary guest worker programs.

The economic stimulus package included a similar provision authored by Sanders and Grassley to prevent companies receiving a taxpayer bailout from the Troubled Asset Relief Program from replacing laid-off American workers with guest workers from overseas. The Sanders-Grassley Employ America Act expands upon this provision by barring any company engaged in a mass layoff of American workers from hiring temporary guest workers from abroad.

Sanders, a member of the Senate Budget Committee, said, “With the unemployment rate still climbing and millions of people looking for work, we have a responsibility to ensure that companies do not use the temporary guest-worker program to replace American workers with cheaper labor from overseas.”

Grassley, ranking member of the Senate Finance Committee, said, “Our foreign guest worker programs are in place to fill employment needs where there is a shortage of American workers, not as a subterfuge to hire cheap labor. With the unemployment rate over 10 percent, companies that undertake mass layoffs shouldn’t need to hire foreign guest workers when there are plenty of qualified Americans looking for jobs.”

Recently, industries that have hired tens of thousands of guest workers from overseas have announced large-scale layoffs of American workers. The high-tech industry, a major employer of H-1B guest workers, has laid off over 345,000 workers since August 2008. The construction industry, a major employer of H-2B guest-workers, has laid off more than 1.5 million workers since December 2007.

Large companies that have announced layoffs of 50 or more American workers over the past year would be subject to this guest worker prohibition.
silentscreen

Post by silentscreen »

Now this is one piece of legislation I'd like to see passed! I recently spoke to a young man who had been laid off his job to be replaced by cheap foreign labor and I thought it disgraceful! :evil: He had just uprooted from Ohio to Texas too.
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Presidential security is a very rough job, its a job that I would never dream of trying, it being so stressfull and with so very much responsibility attacted to it. That being said ,how were two non invitees able to crash the Presidents Thanksgiving Party Wednesday evening ? Its frightful. :cry:
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Naples, Florida media reports that 10 students at a local middle school were suspended for taking part in " Kick a Jew Day ", where Jewish students were assulted. Welcome to 21st century America, where ignorance & bigotry are celebrated. :cry:
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Don't know if this has made the news in America but there is an enquiry into the validity of the Iraq War.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8382194.stm

It doesn't exactly back Bush and Blair up, it makes the whole thing seem manufactured, as many thought.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Cuyahoga Falls,Ohio ( a suburb of Akron & Cleveland ) police have arrested Mark Campano 56. Police found 35 pipe bombs,numerious automatic weapons, and hundreds of rounds of ammunition in his home. :(