'Round the World Weather Report

Chit-chat, current events
moira finnie
Administrator

Re: 'Round the World Weather Report

Post by moira finnie »

They are predicting 8" to 12" inches for us, most of it coming in around the Friday afternoon commute and during the evening. Got the car gassed up, the windshield washer fluid topped off, three ice scrapers, winter wipers in place, salt, broom and shovel in the the trunk along with car insurance updated. Now all we need is a break when driving to the things that cannot be put off due to weather. Wish me luck.

I'm more concerned about my relatives in the NYC area and across New England. The wind doesn't sound as though it is going to be helpful for them. Praying for the people who are still trying to cope/rebuild/salvage their lives and home in the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy. They seem to be right in the path of this one.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

If you have to go out keep your road service numbers handy too. I got stuck in a snowstorm in Norfolk, VA of all places. They weren't expecting one as bad as they got. Got stuck in the middle of the main highway. Next morning a truck from the local power company was nice enough to pull me out.

Everyone was ordered to stay off the roads but no one listened. I spent that night in a Waffle House. Haven't been in one since 1981.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Huge puffy flakes started coming down about a hour ago, first rather lightly and now like gangbusters.

Just for fun, it was drizzling earlier today...on top of nearly melted snow. A tad slippery walking home from the L.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

I broke down and asked for a vacation day tomorrow. I was trying to hold out, and the morning commute will probably be okay, but the evening may be difficult. So, I ran a couple of errands this evening and now am home for the duration. I hope we all come through this storm safe and sound.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Yesterday it was almost 60 degrees in Kentucky. Much colder today!
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Spring may arrive earlier this year in the Pacific Northwest ... the next 10 days my average is 50 degrees ... 5 degrees warmer than usual.
Professional Tourist

If anyone would like to watch the snow fall in NYC, click here and/or here for a live cam courtesy of the local NBC station.

I'm so glad I'm not commuting home right now. :)
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Professional Tourist wrote:If anyone would like to watch the snow fall in NYC, click here and/or here for a live cam courtesy of the local NBC station.

I'm so glad I'm not commuting home right now. :)
PT, it was an extremely smart move on your part to take the day off! Stay safe and warm!!!!
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Our power keeps surging. First it goes off, then back on again, thank goodness.

It's blowing pretty hard right now, I'm surprised how fast the wind picked up. Only in the last hour. Before that it was really nice, peaceful with no car noises.
Professional Tourist

knitwit45 wrote:PT, it was an extremely smart move on your part to take the day off! Stay safe and warm!!!!
Thank you! I had wanted to save the day to make a four-day weekend of the upcoming Presidents Day three-day weekend, but this was more important. I just had a nice hot dinner and feel great. Am watching The Big Lebowski now, for the first time. It's too vulgar for my taste, but I'll see it through.
JackFavell wrote:Our power keeps surging. First it goes off, then back on again, thank goodness.

It's blowing pretty hard right now, I'm surprised how fast the wind picked up. Only in the last hour. Before that it was really nice, peaceful with no car noises.
That's the blizzard kicking in. Here in the city they keep pushing back its start time, right now they're saying 2am. But it's still snowing and windy. Take care with those power surges, they can damage electronic equipment. I hope you have surge protectors for your computers.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Can't reach my relatives in Massachusetts, Vermont or Westchester by telephone or email now. Who knows if they have power and if they will be able to access the message. I know they have the common sense to stay home. I just hope they have everything they need. Crossing my fingers.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

We've got surge protectors, thank goodness.

Moira, I'm sending good thoughts toward Mass. tonight.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

For our Nor'east friends-

Stay warm, stay safe and know that we are all thinking of you and sending good thoughts your way!
Coming so soon after Sandy, we don't want you guys clobbered again!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Stay safe you all in the danger zones. I'm praying for all of you. Amen
Joseph Goodheart
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

We made it through! it's GORGEOUS here. There were tons of really slow brownouts, where we thought we'd lost power, but it came back on every time, thank goodness.

Sue Sue, watch yourself... you are up next... are you in the tornado zone?