'Round the World Weather Report

Chit-chat, current events
Professional Tourist

Re: 'Round the World Weather Report

Post by Professional Tourist »

Thank goodness you have power, JackFavell. I've read that most of Connecticut received +-2 feet of snow.
Here in NYC we have a little under one foot (11.4 inches) in Central Park.
I popped my head out when brunch was delivered ( :wink: :P ) and my block didn't look too bad.
Long Island, especially the north shore, was hit pretty hard.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

All the best to everyone sufferring weather issues. Moira, best avatar ever! Professional Tourist, hope you enjoyed THE BIG LEBOWSKI. I once heard some young people raving about how great that movie is. Not good. Not quirky and pleasant. Great! Let's keep this in perspective. GRAPES OF WRATH is a great movie. DOUBLE INDEMNITY is one. BIG LEBOWSKI is an offbeat little comedy that's worth watching once.
Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

RedRiver wrote:Professional Tourist, hope you enjoyed THE BIG LEBOWSKI. I once heard some young people raving about how great that movie is. Not good. Not quirky and pleasant. Great! Let's keep this in perspective. GRAPES OF WRATH is a great movie. DOUBLE INDEMNITY is one. BIG LEBOWSKI is an offbeat little comedy that's worth watching once.
Well, I wouldn't say I enjoyed it, but I had never seen it and I do like John Goodman and Jeff Bridges so I thought I should check it out. I could agree that it's worth watching once. :P
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Shoveling really sucked but I can't complain, we had a warm dry house to come back to. I would estimate the levels at around 2 feet - 22 inches at the least. The roads still aren't plowed, and even our street which hooks up to the highway connector has a 4 inch layer of crunched snow on it.

The worst part is my dog has no idea where to go to the bathroom.
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Today the temperature dropped 30 degrees to the high-teens, plus a dusting of snow. But the Hawk awoke, giving us windchill in the minus-teens.

And speaking of the Hawk...

How about those BLACKHAWKS!, eh?

Who said a strike can't be a good thing?
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

The weathermen are all wringing their hands, and tellilng us here in the Midwest that we are in for a doozy of a storm on Thursday. So glad that's my scheduled day off! North of 1-70 is "supposed" to get up to 12 inches of snow, we are predicted to receive between 3-6, and further south, ICE, rain, snow, freezing rain.....I've already seen dozens of Robins, so I know they're all wrong...... 8) 8) 8)
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Our storm, "Q", is not expected until Thursday....when did they start naming snowstorms??? must have slept thru that announcement..... :roll: :roll:
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I think that's a tad excessive. Why not call it THE STORM? Must we be on a first name basis?
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Last fall or so The Weather Channel decided it was going to name storms. The National Weather Service told them that was a bad idea and had no intention of adopting a similar stand. From what I understand TWC thought people would remember them better and for history's sake by giving them a name.

Thus the monster storm that buried Wendy and Theresa for a few days bore the cute name "Nemo." What TWC's criteria is for naming a storm I'm not sure. From what I've read though TWC is out there on their own.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

TV rules the world. "And somewhere Paddy Chayefsky is laughing."
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Arch Oboler was laughing 23 years before that (THE TWONKY).
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Nemo. Cute names. Acronyms. Ugh!

how 'bout SuperStorm Satan.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

You got that right, red. I'm sure Paddy's rolled over in his grave many times since 1981. He probably just keeps spinning faster and faster....

Satan, that's funny! Sort of... why do they all have to be SUPERSTORMS anyway? I think STORM is good enough.

I like the idea of Superstorm Twonky. Or maybe Superstorm Hans Conried. I mean, since we're already giving them first names, why not last ones too? Superstorm Donald Meek or Superstorm Arnold Stang might be nice.

I hate to tell you knitty, we saw about 25 robins here right before, during, and after the big snowstorm and 11 degree night time temps. I think global warming has created a strain or race of super robins, who can withstand abnormally low temps in the winter and will eventually take over the world.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Phooey. Another one bites the dust. :shock: :lol: :shock: :lol: