Diary of a movie fan

Chit-chat, current events
Bogie

Re: Gunman's Walk

Post by Bogie »

movieman1957 wrote:
A good film. Likely will run often on the Westerns channel this month. (Now if only they would wise up and show it in widescreen.)
Yep, that's the only thing that bothers me about an otherwise fine channel. There must be prohibitive costs in running movies in their original aspect ratio or something because that's the only bad thing about it.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

It's getting better, though slowly. "Flix", "Retroplex", "Showtime" and even "Encore Westerns" show the occasional film in widescreen but they don't give an indication in the listing. When the films are in the On Demand listing there usually is an indication it is in widescreen.

It's just not often enough.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Answer me on P/M instead of here so as not to bore the people who already understand. This is what imdB says:

Filmed in Cinemascope - I know what that is

Printed film format - 35mm

Aspect Ratio - 2.35 : 1 (What exactly does that mean?)

You guys always lose me when you talk about aspect film ratio. I have no idea what you're talking about.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Bogie

Post by Bogie »

I know I haven't done much reviews lately but that'll change late tonight or sometime tomorrow.

The next movies to be reviewed

Out of the Past 1947
The Violent Men 1954
American Gangster 2007
Bogie

Post by Bogie »

Well I got bad news and good news

The bad news? I kept nodding off and falling asleep during Out of the Past that I can't fairly give it a review. It's not because the movie is bad because it was very interesting and good. I think it was a combination of my feeling tired and the musical score that lulled me to sleep.

The good news is that after the movie I had a half hour before the next film and I had a caffeine shot (thank God for Coca-Cola!) so I was able to watch The Violent Men without interruption.

So without further ado here's my review of the latter film.

The Violent Men 1954
Viewed on: Encore Westerns
Studio: Columbia Pictures

Starring

Glenn Ford ... John Parrish
Barbara Stanwyck ... Martha Wilkison
Edward G. Robinson ... Lee Wilkison
Dianne Foster ... Judith Wilkison
Brian Keith ... Cole Wilkison
May Wynn ... Caroline Vail
Warner Anderson ... Jim McCloud
Basil Ruysdael ... Tex Hinkleman
Lita Milan ... Elena
Richard Jaeckel ... Wade Matlock
James Westerfield ... Sheriff Magruder
Jack Kelly ... De Rosa, Parrish Rider
Willis Bouchey ... Sheriff Martin Kenner
Harry Shannon ... Purdue

Plot

A Union ex-officer plans to sell up to Anchor Ranch and move east with his fiancee, but the low price offered by Anchor's crippled owner and the outfit's bully-boy tactics make him think again. When one of his hands is murdered he decides to stay and fight, utilising his war experience. Not all is well at Anchor with the owner's wife carrying on with his brother who anyway has a Mexican moll in town.

My Thoughts

Well what can I say? This western has a lot going for it. Glenn Ford plays the ex-officer who's planning on moving back east and the land baron is played by Edward G. Robinson with Barbara Stanwyck playing the duplicious wife (gee I hope I didn't make up a word there) to a tee. A young Brian Keith plays Robinson's brother Cole.

Now that we got the necessary stuff out of the way let's go on with the actual meat and potatoes. You get the sense early on that Wilkinson is an evil man when Parrish sees a gang of thugs hired out by Wilkinson beating the crap out of one of the citizens in town. Alas, it was just a ruse to kill the sheriff of the town so that a Wilkinson man can be installed as the new head man in town. These thugs aren't just ordinary guys as the leader of the group, Wade Matlock (played by a very young Richard Jaeckel) kills the sheriff in cold blood by shooting him in the back.

All is not what it seems tho. Sure, Wilkinson is using strong arm tactics to get everyone in the valley to sell to him. The first time we see Wilkinson is when he's making his offer to buy Parrish's ranch. We see an older, crippled man who needs help to go down the stairs. So right from the start you know something fishy is going on. Wilkinson has pride though, he recounts how he was involved in a land war in order to get the spread that he has in his possession and how it has robbed him of the use of his legs. He only wants the valley because he's promised it to his loving wife and he's worked hard to get what he has.

Unfortunately, they lowball Parrish and he leaves feeling somewhat insulted. Little does Wilkinson and Co. know that Parrish will accept any offer because he's promised his bride to be that he'll sell and head east. That leads me to the bride to be named Caroline. OMG! talk about a wafer thin character! It didn't help that May Wynn was annoying as hell with her high pitched voice and whining every moment she's on screen. Luckily the script was wise to throw her out of the film a quarter of the way through.

Anyways, Wilkison's wife is fooling around with his brother Cole behind his back. In fact, she'd like nothing better then to see her husband out of the way. She wants all of the valley to herself and she'll find a way to get rid of her husband to be with Cole. Unfortunately for them daughter Judith knows all about their shenanigans. It is Cole who's doing the strong arming behind Wilkison's back and it comes back to haunt him as he has Matlock and his posse kill one of Parrish's men. This sets Parrish off and he's willing to fight not only for his land but for those who've been forced to sell.

Before the land war though we get a great confrontation between Parrish and Matlock the night of his ranch hand's death. I won't give it away but it's a very good scene where we see Ford being cool and reserved but seeking revenge while Jaeckel is headstrong and way too overconfident.

So anyways we have the land war with situations like Parrish and his men leading Cole and his boys into a trap, Parrish and his men burning down Anchor which leads to one of the most EVIL-! scenes of Stanwyck's career. I won't give it away but she lets her intentions known in regards to her husband.

The last quarter of the movie is pretty action packed and exciting and herein lies the major flaw in what is generally a pretty good western. Most of the movie is a character study in what makes the characters tick especially Stanwyck's character but it seems they wanted to be a picture for all people and made it an action western rather then taking the more reserved character driven revenge story.

All in all I give this 2.5 stars out of 5.

It would've gotten 3 stars if May Wynn was never in it and if they had decided on what type of western it really wanted to be.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Good review Bogie aka SPTO. You literally made me live the movie and left me wanting more. Is it available on DVD?
Bogie

Post by Bogie »

feaito wrote:Good review Bogie aka SPTO. You literally made me live the movie and left me wanting more. Is it available on DVD?
Yes it is :)
feaito

Post by feaito »

OK Thanks :D
Bogie

Post by Bogie »

Well it's been a while. I spent all of this past week getting things ready for my mother's 60th Birthday party last night and I couldn't watch any movies :(

However....I snuck in a B western :)

The Legend of Tom Dooley 1959
Viewed on: Encore Westerns
Studio: Columbia Pictures

Starring

Michael Landon ... Tom Dooley
Jo Morrow ... Laura Foster
Jack Hogan ... Charlie Grayson
Richard Rust ... Country Boy
Dee Pollock ... Abel
Ken Lynch ... Father
Howard Wright ... Sheriff Joe Dobbs
Ralph Moody ... Doc Henry
John Cliff ... Lieutenant
Cheerio Meredith ... Meg
Gary Hunley ... The Kid
Anthony Jochim ... Preacher
Jeff Morris ... Confederate Soldier

Plot

Based on the Kingston Trio song of the same name, this is the tale of a Rebel soldier at the close of the Civil War, who is pursued by a carpet-bagger lawman.

My Thoughts

Well what can I say? This is your typical B Western however, there is some charm to the story even though it's all mapped out by the song. This is the first time i've ever seen a movie where the script is basically based off of a song fer cryin' out loud! Still, the performances are rather charming. Michael Landon does a decent job in only his 2nd film starring role. The thing about the movie I liked the most was the relationship between Tom, Country Boy and Abel. You get the sense that these guys have been buddies for a long time during the war but man, some of the things they did are very questionable. Then again, you have townspeople who are out to hang Tom and his cohorts even though it was an accidental killing because they didn't know the war was over.

Charlie Grayson is the nominal boyfriend of the girl that Tom promised to come back for and he has it out for Tom. It's a pretty by the numbers role but there was a very good confrontation scene between he and Dooley. I especially liked the realistic touch of the burned out farmhouse falling down all over the place when they're having their fist fight.

I would say this is just a slight cut above your Saturday Matinee fare but it was exactly the kind of film I needed to watch considering how busy i've been all week.

2 out of 5 stars
Bogie

Post by Bogie »

The Last King of Scotland 2006
Viewed on: Cinemax
Studio: Fox Searchlight Pictures

Starring

Forest Whitaker ... Idi Amin
James McAvoy ... Nicholas Garrigan
Kerry Washington ... Kay Amin
Gillian Anderson ... Sarah Merrit
Simon McBurney ... Stone
David Oyelowo ... Dr. Junju
Stephen Rwangyezi ... Jonah Wasswa
Abby Mukiibi Nkaaga ... Masanga (as Abby Mukiibi)
Adam Kotz ... Dr. Merrit
Sam Okelo ... Bonny
Sarah Nagayi ... Tolu
Chris Wilson ... Perkins
Dr. Dick Stockley ... Times Journalist
Barbara Rafferty ... Mrs. Garrigan
David Ashton ... Dr. Garrigan (senior)

Plot

In the early 1970s, Nicholas Garrigan, a young semi-idealistic Scottish doctor, comes to Uganda to assist in a rural hospital. Once there, he soon meets up with the new President, Idi Amin, who promises a golden age for the African nation. Garrigan hits it off immediately with the rabid Scotland fan, who soon offers him a senior position in the national health department and becomes one of Amin's closest advisers. However as the years pass, Garrigan cannot help but notice Amin's increasingly erratic behavior that grows beyond a legitimate fear of assassination into a murderous insanity that is driving Uganda into bloody ruin. Realizing his dire situation with the lunatic leader unwilling to let him go home, Garrigan must make some crucial decisions that could mean his death if the despot finds out.

My Thoughts

Well this movie uses the old method of taking real people and events and fictionalizing some aspects. Just so you know the young Nicholas Garrigan is the fictional character. Anyways this movie was VERY good. Forrest Whitaker was born to play Amin. There are scenes in the movie where you would swear it's the real life dictator on the screen.

The movie does a great job of showing how someone that's somewhat impressionable can be caught up in the intoxicating pull of power. I loved how you saw every aspect of Amin in this movie. There are times where he's a genuinely big hearted guy who only wants the best for his closest advisors and the people of Uganda. There are moments however when you see the ruthless and at times erratic side of the despot. One such scene is when he interrogates and has his attempted assassins killed.

The movie does a great job of showing through the eyes of Nicholas how Amin started off as a truly good man for the people of Uganda and spiralling downwards into the erratic and violent despot he later became. The main thrust of the story has to do with Nicholas discovering slowly but surely of Amin's killing of enemies and ethnic groups he's not fond of.

There are a couple of things in this movie that aren't plausible at all such as Nicholas falling in love and impregnating one of Amin's wives. That was a turning point in the film and well...it was really one of the flimsiest and incredulous plot points to have as the lead up to the climax of the film. It could ruin the movie for those who actually like to think while watching their films but it isn't SO bad that it turns the movie to crap.

I felt that Whitaker really deserved his Oscar for his portrayal of Amin and it's one decision that the Academy got right. James McAvoy was pretty good tho some scenes where he had to emote were lacking as he just couldn't make it very believable. Apparently he comes from the school of "scrunch up your face=emotions". Gillian Anderson has a very small role in the movie but her character is foreshadowing to Nicholas and Kay. In fact, I thought Anderson had a quasi Jane Seymour look going on for her.

I give this film 4 out of 5 stars. If you for some reason haven't seen it then I urge you to watch it. I do warn however, that there are some graphic scenes so your mileage may vary on that point.
Bogie

Post by Bogie »

Before launching into the review I have to say something. BOY! Have I been missing out on comedic genius! You'll see what I mean in a bit.

Way Out West 1937
Viewed on TCM
Studio: Hal Roach Studios

Starring

Stan Laurel ... Stanley
Oliver Hardy ... Ollie
Sharon Lynn ... Lola Marcel (as Sharon Lynne)
James Finlayson ... Mickey Finn
Rosina Lawrence ... Mary Roberts / Stan's falsetto (voice)
Stanley Fields ... Sheriff
Vivien Oakland ... Sheriff's Wife
Dinah ... Herself

Plot

Stan and Ollie are headed for the western town of Brushwood Gulch. Their mission is to find a woman named Mary Roberts in order to deliver her a deed to a valuable gold mine left to her by her father. Unfortunately, their problems start as soon as they arrive in town when they realize they upset the wife of the town's Sheriff while on the coach they hitch a ride on, and they must catch the next coach out of town...or else. Their problems continue when Mickey Finn, Mary's guardian, learns why they're here, and has his wife, Lola Marcel, play Mary in order to hijack the deed from them. However, before leaving town, they encounter the real Mary Roberts and are forced to get the deed back. What ensues from there is more hilarity then you could ever imagine.

My Thoughts

Normally if there's more then one plot summary from IMDB I go with the simpler one and fill in the gaps but I don't really feel like going into the story. What I want to concentrate on here is the comedic genius of Laurel & Hardy. Now, I've read a book on their partnership and when I was a kid I was exposed to the cartoon show featuring them. I even had one of their annuals which i'm sad to report is lost. :(

ANYWAYS.....I've only seen clips of them in action. I've never seen a full short or any of their features until now and i'm floored! These guys were great. They seem to operate best at a slower pace as the humor comes from the situations they find themselves in. There are way too many funny parts to this movie and I really don't want to spoil it for anyone who's never seen it. I will however, mention 3 funny scenes/situations in the movie.

1. The whole routine at the saloon/dance hall where they're looking for Mary Roberts is pretty damn funny. You got Stan basically blurting out to Mickey Finn that they have a deed to give to Mary Roberts. There's the part where Stan is getting the deed out of his worn out shoe to show Mickey. After Stan does this he tries putting on his shoe only to have his big toe sticking out and hurting himself. He finds a tough piece of meat and eventually uses it as a sole only to have an unhappy payoff later on.

2. After Stan and Ollie find out that they gave the deed to the wrong girl they go back up to Lola's room and tries to get it back from her and Mickey. This results in one of the most hilarious scenes of the movie where they're all fighting for the deed. The part where Mickey gets his hand stuck in a vase and Ollie smashes it over Mickey's head had me howling! At one point Stan has the deed and is tickled to death by Lola just to get it back. He gets into such fits of laughter that he's laughing even after Lola has the deed! The sight of Stan Laurel sitting by a desk and laughing his head off was so infectious that I was laughing my own head off!

3. This is near the end of the movie but the whole routine of how Stan and Ollie returned to town in the middle of the night to get the deed back was pretty darn funny. Highlights include Stan pushing Ollie up on a small roof so he can get into a window problem is, Ollie's so fat that he falls right through the roof! Then there's the routine with the rope and Stan pulling Ollie up. Eventually their mule Dinah gets involved in a hilarious way.

Other highlights in the movie include the hat eating schtick and the running joke of Stan using his thumb as a lighter and Ollie trying to do the same.

I've got to say these guys were a great comedic team. I know there were some rough patches in their personal and professional relationship during the years but they were just meant to be. There's an attitude and sweetness to their comedy that is timeless and is sorely lacking in today's rude n' crude comedy. I just hope I get to see more L&H films as I found this one to be a pleasure. I think it's safe to say that this was the standard for all comedy westerns prior to Blazing Saddles.

I give this film a hearty 5 out of 5. It's a true classic in every sense of the word.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Bogie:

Welcome to the world of Laurel and Hardy. It's nice to have you along.

Laurel and Hardy have been neglected somewhat in the last ten years. TCM does show some of their features but anything after "Block Heads" in 1938 can be below average to pretty sad ("Atoll K"). Noted for immediate viewing is the feature "Sons Of The Desert."

The good news is TCM has leased the Hal Roach library for a ridiculous 40 years. The real gems of Stan and Ollie lie in the massive body of short films. They are both silent and sound. They won an Oscar for their short "The Music Box."

I set up a "Stan and Ollie" thread in "The People of Film" forum so we can about two lifelong friends.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

Hey Bogie,
I'm thrilled that you discovered Laurel and Hardy for the first time. I envy that you will be able to enjoy so many of their treasures for the first time. Growing up I saw many of their shorts on tv, but I really enjoyed when a local revival theatre had a festival of their films and I got to see many of them in the company of people that appreciated their talents and humor. It is a great memory. They are even funnier when enjoyed in a theatre filled with laughter than in the comfort of your own home.
Chris

The only bad movie is no movie at all.