What Was the Best 30-Minute Western?

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Has anyone else mentioned The Westerner (1960)?

A brainchild of Sam Peckinpah, it lasted for a very brief time, and fortunately, the Encore Western channel revived the spare, well written and beautifully acted 13 episodes a couple of years ago, (I believe it is now on dvd). Accompanied by his not so faithful dog, Brown, Brian Keith as Dave Blassingame wanders the West, getting in and out of scrapes, looking for what comfort he can following his lonely star, and occasionally encountering that wandering rapscallion, (and full time ham) John Dehner. I really liked this show, but then, I have a weakness for Mr. Keith (at least in his pre-Family Affair days). I also prefer Peckinpah's work before The Wild Bunch, (yeah, I know, I'm a blind philistine).
Keith as the hard scrabble saddle tramp, Dave Blassingame.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Moira:

Why pre-Family Affair? I love Brian Keith in everything he does just about. He was one of the best things about The Rare Breed as the crazy Scot. No matter what he is, good guy or bad guy, he always gives 110%, and his performances are usually stand-outs.

While I'm on the subject of Brians, I might as well mention Brian Dennehy, another 110% actor. Again, he steals the show in nearly everything he's in. Although I find Brian Keith a little more attractive than Brian D, they are both nice looking and come across as sexy IMHO. I loved Brian D in the FX movies with Bryan Brown; they played a couple of con artists really well. Moira, what do you think about Mr. Dennehy?

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Dennehy makes a good bad guy. I like him in "Silverado." One thing I'd like to see him in is "Death Of A Salesman." I heard he had a decent run on Broadway (although he was sick for awhile.) I hope it was taped and will be shown sometime.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Just my opinion, of course, but after Family Affair, Mr. Keith's career seemed to have lost the edge it had once had. I think that he just had to earn a living, like the rest of us, so he did similar parts once too often. Family Affair is painful for me to watch. Seeing him in that show, and much of his post-sitcom work is an experience comparable to watching a noble bear riding a tricycle in the circus.

One part that suits him was as the Chicago tabloid newspaper editor in Gaily, Gaily (1969), a forgotten Norman Jewison film based on Ben Hecht's reminiscences. Keith's last, great performance, (in which he almost stole a movie from none other than Sean Connery), was in The Wind and the Lion (1975). His part as Teddy Roosevelt was a role that he was born to play and should have, if anyone in the entertainment industry had the brains to adapt David McCullough's Mornings on Horseback into a film. I enjoy him most when he plays against type. He did this very well in an interesting, and sadly forgotten Bette Davis movie called Storm Center (1956)--one of the greatest films ever about the adventure of being...a librarian!!

Seriously, that's a great little story about freedom during the McCarthy era and following your conscience in any time. Brian is swell in it, as is Bette in one of her too few underplayed roles.

I like Brian Dennehy when he underplays and would LOVE to see him on stage in just about anything. That production of Death of a Salesman was on Showtime about 8 years ago. It can be found on various sites like ebay as a recording. I also like when he plays against type. His most recent work that impressed me was the Scheherazade episode of Law and Order SVU. It was beautifully done. When the man gets a well written part there's no stopping him from playing the heart out of it, but when he's in schlock, he looks bored and disgusted with himself, (rather like the previously mentioned Brian Keith). Or maybe it's just me. :roll:

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Hi Moira,

As a fan of Brian Keith (especially on "Family Affair"), I have always wanted to see "The Westerner"---are you sure it is on dvd? I've never been able to find it.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Hi Miss Goddess,
I think that the dvd of The Westerner that I saw advertised was on one of those auction websites, so I suspect that it may be kicking around on what is actually a dvd-r.

Btw, they no longer seem to show this program on the Encore Western Channel. One would think that anything attached to the Peckinpah name would be commercially viable as a dvd, huh, April? I'm also glad that others derive enjoyment from Family Affair. For me, further exposure might lead to irrevocable tooth decay.

Say, have you seen the Youtube video of one of our mutual faves, that noir paragon of fallability, Dana Andrews, as a guest star on Family Affair?? Yes, you read that correctly. It is too odd for words. Oh, "whom the gods would destroy, they first made Dana..." :shock:
I figure he and Keith were probably friends and he did this guest shot as a lark.
[youtube][/youtube]
Last edited by moira finnie on January 26th, 2008, 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Moira:

I had not realized the "Death Of A Salesman" was that old. I remembered I saw him on TV recently but I couldn't remember where.

-------------------

I remember Brian Keith well when he was in "Centennial" where I thought he did a good job being a pretty tough town marshall.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Anne,
One of Brian D.'s best movies was "The Lion of Africa". He is a knockabout in Africa, with an old, sturdy truck he's named "Lion of Africa". Brooke Adams is a doctor who meets him and is immediately turned off by his cock-sure swagger. It was made in 1987, is available on DVD, and is great fun. No Oscar worthy stuff here, just a great time!

Nancy
klondike

Post by klondike »

moirafinnie wrote:but when he's in schlock, he looks bored and disgusted with himself, (rather like the previously mentioned Brian Keith). Or maybe it's just me. :roll:
Spot on, M; if you want to doublecheck your premise, just review the elder Brian's performance in The Yakuza, an otherwise compelling & underrated little pearl of Nipponnoir from Robert Towne, that closely followed, and was vastly overshadowed by, his immortal Chinatown, and served to (briefly) jumpstart Bob Mitchum's then-sagging career.
It's a plum little cameo in a tightly-wound cime drama with choice co-stars, but it must not have been what Keith wanted - he limps through his scenes reeking of bitter, claustrophobic angst, totally against type, with a physical presence that suggested chemotherapy, psorosis and/or bad dentures. :(
But, verily, what a diametric difference just half a year later in The Wind & the Lion (a cherished favorite of mine!), in which he blazes triumphantly through his scenes as an adoringly volcanic TR, at once wryly ascerbic and profoundly reflective, a film depiction worthy of the 20th Century's finest president!
What a shame Dennehy never had a shot to portray our 26th president, big stick & all, before he aged into the physical train-wreck that limped through that guest role on "L&O : SVU"!
I'm just glad they're not still running his old commercial pitches for Zantac; the contrast would hurt too much!
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

For me, further exposure might lead to irrevocable tooth decay.

Say, have you seen the Youtube video of one of our mutual faves, that noir paragon of fallability, Dana Andrews, as a guest star on Family Affair?? Yes, you read that correctly. It is too odd for words. Oh, "whom the gods would destroy, they first made Dana..."

LOL! I know what you're saying, but this show was such a favorite of mine as a child, I just couldn't imagine anyone's father being that nice so I have wanted an "Uncle Bill" of my own to this day. :lol:

I wonder if that Dana Andrews appearance is from Season 4? I have the dvd but I haven't watched it yet.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Hey Nancy,
I forgot about The Lion of Africa. That really wasn't bad, especially since someone allowed Mr. D. to be the object of affection for once, rather than playing the usual role of a secretly nefarious power player or oaf that he is relegated to by unimaginative casting folk. Hey, since Brooke Adams is married to Tony Shaloub in real life, maybe they could get Dennehy a gig playing a fellow ex-cop/burn-out whom Monk meets at a group therapy session! Ooo, this has possibilities. Or maybe Brian could be Monk's new minder (that is, if they were planning on replacing the young lady who has that current position).

Klon, ol' bean,
I'd forgotten about The Yakuza (1974), which I watched back when I had a wee bit of crush on Richard Jordan (anyone remember him, God rest his soul)? That one scene with the finger getting cut off made me head for the exit, though the enervated quality of Mitchum and Keith's acting wasn't keeping me glued to my seat either. However, I thought that the wonderfully stoic actor, Ken Takakura was great in this movie, (and every other one I've seen him in).

My dear Miss Goddess,
We all wished we had a fabulously wealthy and understanding Uncle Bill, and even an all knowing Mr. French would've been handy. I just would've run away and lived with the squirrels in Central Park if I had to have Jody, poor little Buffy, and their older sister, whats-her-name, as siblings. What was the story with that poor teenage girl? The way they did her hair and makeup and the clothes she wore made her look about 48 at age 16! Sorry for the mini-rant.

Chris,
I know what you mean about being surprised by how time flies. It seems to get faster every year I live. Or maybe it's just me, again. :shock:

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

ha ha! It was "Cissy" and yes, those sixties styles did put on years but I loved those kids, I thought they were so sweet, especially "Buffy". There was always something a little sad about her.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

MissGoddess wrote:ha ha! It was "Cissy" and yes, those sixties styles did put on years but I loved those kids, I thought they were so sweet, especially "Buffy". There was always something a little sad about her.
Jeez, I dunno about blaming her look on "those sixties styles". I think that there might've been some dinosaurs working in the wardrobe and makeup and hair depts. on that show. It was probably some adult's idea of how a well dressed young lady should appear. Man, no wonder that "never trust anyone over the age of 30" stuff caught on.

I had two older teenage sisters and they wore clothes that were a lot cooler than anything the benighted Cissy wore in that period. And we didn't live in a penthouse on Central Park West, but in the boondocks of upstate NY. While we're on this topic, check out the decor of the Family Affair apartment sometime. Isn't it a bit cheesy looking in a mid-century moderne sort of way? I can recall being in Howard Johnson motel rooms with my family back then that had better paintings on the wall. They also had lamps that were taller than most of the doorways in my house.

Oh, and what about that Mrs. Beasley fixation? There was some potential for a good replay of the Twilight Zone episode with the doll who talked back to Telly Savalas there.

Goddess, baby, I tell ya, I think I might have a little touch of cabin fever comin' on. It's been fun, but I must get back to work. Yeah. Right.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
klondike

Post by klondike »

moirafinnie wrote: Klon, ol' bean,
I'd forgotten about The Yakuza (1974), which I watched back when I had a wee bit of crush on Richard Jordan (anyone remember him, God rest his soul)? :
I certainly do, ma cher'; Mr. Jordan was a bizzy-bizzy-bee from the mid-70's right through the early 90's; I remember him most clearly as Michael York's sworn nemesis way back when in Logan's Run. :twisted:
So's we don't hijack Chris' thread any farther away from its original topic, why don't you consider kicking off a thread on his behalf, somewhere?
Or, if your crush has chilled out completely, just leave poor RJ to the minutia annals of such mcguffins as Raise the Titanic!. :oops:
Last edited by klondike on January 15th, 2008, 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Richard Jordan gives a wonderful final performance in Gettysburg.

He was up for the bad guy role (the doctor friend of Richard Kimble's, not the one armed man) but after filming a few scenes he became too ill to finish the film and they had to go with another actor. So they went with Jeroen Krabbé (what a name!).
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese