AN EDUCATION PLEASE ON DEAN MARTIN

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
MissGoddess

Re: AN EDUCATION PLEASE ON DEAN MARTIN

Post by MissGoddess »

stuart.uk wrote:Hi Miss G

Sammy IMO made more of an effort to acheive success in the UK, touring here constantly. He worked with many of our entertainers Bruce Forsyth, Roy Castle and Lionel Blair. I don't think I can get any you tubes on this forum anymore, but I'll try to put on a great routine between Sammy and Lionel.

Hi Stuart! I can believe it about Sammy. Europeans would have been more open and appreciative.

It's funny, though part Italian, Dean wasn't suspected of Mafai conenctions that Frank was and Tony Bennet, a close pal of Frank's wasn't in the rat pack

Yes those stories abound, and do bore me considerable. I saw enough of Hollywood to know that the whole
town, just like Wall Street, is in bed with the lowest elements in every conceivable racket known to man. But
it's easier to hit the tallest targets while the real guilty parties hide in plain sight.

If this dosen't work I'll send it privately. It didn't work, but it's on your own private system now. I just remembered Lionel saying he thought Sinatra mean on the occassion Sammy had to give up the best room in a hotel so Frank could move in to it. Lionel in global terms will be known for doing a dance routine of A Hard Days Night, as The Beatles walked across a televison stage

I'm afriad I don't know of Lionel Blair.

I believe to be as successful as Dean was, he couldn't be an overly heavy drinker. On saying that other actors like William Holden and John Thaw kept it well hidden, as it didn't appear to effect their wo

And John Barrymore and Spencer Tracy and a host of others. It eventually catches up to you. It's probably
what killed Clark Gable.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
silentscreen

Post by silentscreen »

I think most of the stuff about Dean's drinking was just part of his act. I know it was on his television show.

"Humor is nothing less than a sense of the fitness of things." Carole Lombard
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Miss G

I think you may have misunderstood me regarding Sammy in the UK. He was greatly loved. As far as the hotel was concerned I thought it would have been Frank who got him to move to another room.

Michael Parkinson called him The greatest entertainer in the world

On the Wogan show he tells of the story of how someone sent him some brownies, just before a show. He ate them not realisng it had pot inside. He was as high as a kite and on someone's suggestion he had some soup, again not realising the combination was leathal. Now he was through the roof, went on the stage and sang a song. Then he said goodnight, thinking he had done a performance

I was just think today that one reason Sammy loved coming to the UK, was perhaps because he could enter hotels and theatres by the front door, even in the 50s. If you listen to the lyrics of the dance routine I sent you, Sammy will mention Bruce Forsyth almost in the same breath as Gene Kelly
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Hi Stuart,

Ha! I thnk you must have misunderstood my "misunderstanding". I said Europeans are
generally more appreciative of artists, regardless of color, especially in those days. I'm
pretty sure that is in accordance with what you wrote of his success in England.

While I think Sammy was probably the most multi-talented performer, he could do anything,
he had a slight nasal quality to his singing that prevents me from enjoying it as much
as the mellower baritones of the period.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I love your recollections Lynn. It doesn't surprise me what you say about Sinatra. I imagine many of the women would rather have stayed at the parties with Dean rather than any of the others. I visited Las Vegas a few years ago but it has changed so much since the Rat Pack's days.

I like Sinatra, he has done some wonderful albums, superb arrangements and unique vocalising but as you said Dean is more easy and warm to listen to.

I like Sammy too, I think it's disgraceful that it was OK for him to campaign for Kennedy but not attend his inaugural ball.

I've read some of Jerry Lewis's recollection's recently, I was touched that he felt so warm toward Dean, this wasn't the impression I had from the Tosches book. I get the impression that Jerry Lewis must have been tiring to know, it probably took a real laid back person like Dean to cope with him.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I recently subscribed to a podcast on itunes that feature the radio series from Martin and Lewis. "The Comedic Genius of Martin and Lewis" features about 80 radio shows that has a rather long list of the stars that we enjoy. Among them are Joanne Dru, Fred MacMurray, George Raft, Linda Darnell, William Holden, Burt Lancaster, John Garfield and some others.

They are free.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I've just discovered this fascinating thread on my favorite singer and the most bizarre comedian in the world! One of the best tapes I've owned is a Dean's greatest hits collection. Every note is positive perfection. And, as the man was known for, he made it sound effortless. I've heard when the team broke up, it was feared Dean's career would suffer. Could he make it without Jerry? Could he ever! Actor, TV star, voice from Heaven. He did OK!

So did Jerry if you're young and forgiving. His antics were broad and overt. But as a child, I adored him. Even today, I appreciate his better efforts. My guess is, their phenomenally successful night club act was REALLY unusual. People had never seen anything like these lunatics. The transfer of this material into movies didn't make for brilliant cinema. But there were some big laughs. THE CADDY, AT WAR WITH THE ARMY, and especially THE STOOGE feature the boys performing for whatever audience fits into the story. And perform they do!

Post Martin, it's easy to dismiss Lewis' work. But there are fine moments in THE DELICATE DELINQUENT, THE ERRAND BOY, and the surprisingly sensitive THE FAMILY JEWELS. With the right material, this is a funny man. And a raving maniac! Dean is not my favorite actor. Jerry's not one of the great directors. But in their ways, and in their time, they were supremely talented. When you put them together...