Ida Lupino

Discussion of programming on TCM.
moira finnie
Administrator

Re: Ida Lupino

Post by moira finnie »

kingrat wrote:If the title of ESCAPE ME NEVER seems a bit strange, it's the opening of Robert Browning's "Life in a Love." As he often did, Browning wrote a pair of poems, "Love in a Life" and "Life in a Love." Both poems are short, and the opening of the second refers back to the first poem, which is a favorite of mine. If you're interested, these are easy to find on the Internet.
I love that poem and I am a sap for this movie, which we discussed a bit three years ago here. Thank you for reminding me of that beautiful Browning line, the lyrics of which are also set to Korngold's music in this movie. That may not be to everyone's taste, but I'm a sap for Margaret Kennedy's stories about the Sangers in any form.
JackFavell wrote:I am definitely going to be there for The Man I Love, the combination of Walsh and Lupino are irresistable to me. I can't wait to see what this one is like, the two of them together seem a good fit.
I hope you like it, Wendy. It's not perfect but it isn't formulaic either. I love the music, of course, and that doesn't hurt a bit.
CineMaven wrote:Moira, thank you for the reminder that TCM viewers can be lupino'ed this Thursday. I see a couple of films I want to see again, and one film that I really want to give a chance ( "Deep Valley" ) even if I have to go through Dane (Garfield-Lite) to do it. How can a dame be sooooooo hard-boiled one film...and then break your heart in another. Ida...Ida Idolize ya!!
Ida was great in this movie. Give Dane Clark an inch and he'll take a mile in this movie. He might even grow on you, Theresa. Unfortunately, we can't have John Garfield 24/7, and Clark is really effective in this movie. I should mention to look out for one of Fay Bainter's best performances as she and Henry Hull are cast as a married couple who would make Strindberg happy. Run, Ida, run. Run far, run fast!
CineMaven wrote:One last thing Moira....your avatar of Ella Raines has absolutely bowled me over! What a fantastic shot of one of my favorite actresses. WoW!
Thanks. I have always liked Raines even though she was in relatively few movies.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

My brother would leave his wife for Ida Lupino! If she wasn't, you know, dead. Most of these movies are unfamiliar to me. I'm ever reminded of the innumerable films I've yet to encounter. THE MAN I LOVE sounds good to me too. I get a little fidgety when people sing in movies. But domestic drama? No problem! It makes life, and movies, interesting!
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

It's not just me then, I get uncomfortable when people sing in movies, especially when it's someone not known for singing or it's a really unlikely song break and the costar just has to look appropriate.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Well, Maven, what did you think of Deep Valley? Luckily, Errol's up next, to take the sting out of watching Dane Clark.

I swear, if you don't like Dane in this movie, you won't like him in anything.

I don't know how it's possible, but I liked Deep Valley even better this time than the first time I watched it. This time it reminded more than a little of High Sierra, but I felt it was just as good as the Walsh movie, standing on it's own merits. It had the same feel to it, desperate, longing, filled with the sights and sounds of nature that Walsh was so good at portraying, and man's (or woman's) relationship with it. This one had the benefit of a great script and sincere direction and acting. A lovely, lovely film.

Pillow to Post was awfully cute, I liked it much better than any of the other wartime domestic comedies, a la Voice of the Turtle, etc. I think Lupino had great chemistry with William Prince, and there was a nice cast of supporting players, of which Stuart Erwin really stole the show.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

[color=#800000]JACK FAVELL[/color] wrote:Well, Maven, what did you think of Deep Valley? Luckily, Errol's up next, to take the sting out of watching Dane Clark.

I swear, if you don't like Dane in this movie, you won't like him in anything.

I don't know how it's possible, but I liked Deep Valley even better this time than the first time I watched it. This time it reminded more than a little of High Sierra, but I felt it was just as good as the Walsh movie, standing on it's own merits. It had the same feel to it, desperate, longing, filled with the sights and sounds of nature that Walsh was so good at portraying, and man's (or woman's) relationship with it. This one had the benefit of a great script and sincere direction and acting. A lovely, lovely film.
"I just had to have somebody. Somebody just once, who'd know what was inside me."

Well now.

He and Ida left me with a lump in my throat. I enjoyed "Deep Valley." Enjoy is a funny word. My heart kept breaking throughout this Warner Bros. drama. Ida as Cinderella. I felt so bad for her. Unkempt, slavin' over ungrateful parents, being mocked b'cuz of her stuttering. Hull (as her dad) didn't look too kosher. I was afraid he'd be after her as well. (Whew! Boy was I relieved). And selfish ol' Fay Bainter upstairs. How'd Ida get into this fix?! I was grateful for her little dog, and after her chores she was able to run free out in the woods where it was light and air. And freedom. (And no stage set either. They were out there. She made me think a little of Esther Ralston in “To The Last Man.” I did completely buy Ida as a mountain girl. What did help a little was not starting my Lupino fest with “The Man I Love.” Seeing her in the world of minks, martinis and nightclubs wouldn’t have been a great start. But you know what, it probably wouldn't have mattered, because Ida’s a chameleon. (I am partial to the dolled up, brittle "Lana Carlson"-type Lupino. It saves wear and tear on my emotions).

I was kind of surprised the way Ida left her folks. It’s like she finally just made up her mind and walked out that door. (Good for her!) When she has her confrontation with her father and he slaps her, that tore it. And the landslide...I absolutely loved how the camera slowly dollied in on her, with the camera shaking. It was a glorious close-up, I thought. She goes to her own little hideaway and I was so happy for her freedom and independence. At least she was safe.

Her character saw something in convict Dane Clark from afar. Their paths cross upon his escape thanks to the landslide. It was interesting to watch the change in both of them. In fact, Ida served as a catalyst for her maw and paw too. When they had to face the fact that they had to rely on each other, they tentatively came from behind their hate, to reach towards each other. That surprised me as well. I could see Dane was in self-preservation mode through out. The dude couldn’t afford to relax one minute; and he learned to trust her...had to learn to put the gun down. One mistake cost him his whole life. I thought, maybe if he just did his time, and didn’t give anybody any lip, he’d be a’ight. But you could see that he wasn’t a man who could just “take it.” He couldn’t get out of his own way. I also saw a man who was desperate for Ida. She was a life savior for him.

And he for her.

Her dream from afar is now up close and personal. She hides him out in the barn and I had the naughty thought that she kept him up their as some sort of boy toy. I wondered they didn’t high-tail it out of their lickety split as soon as night fell. Seems like he was up there for days. Guess they were waiting for the coast to be clear. When the jig is up, and Fay makes it up that ladder ( ? :shock: ? ) my heart sunk. Yeah...always wishing for a happy ending, that’s my problem. I think Dane lived a lifetime while he was with Ida...and in that moment as well. They both know Fay’s standing there, but Dane holds tightly to Ida’s arms and paints a picture of the future for her they won’t have. I think he knew the jig was up for good right then and there. He drives off, her after him, he forces her to let go...my throat was burning. No, he doesn’t make it. That hurt but I guess it’s the way it’s got to be. Poor guy. But he did find love. Ida got to see she was worth something to someone. And she matured as the picture went on...seemed more like the Lupino I know, but it was great that it was a little more than just not stuttering. Ida gives a great performance here. And Dane, in a word...wow.

Awwwwwwwright! How many times do I have to eat my words!!
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

One mistake cost him his whole life

The wonderful world of noir!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Awww, I'm sorry that the movie made you cry, but I'm happy too, cause I knew you would "get" it.

The movie is so romantic, but I really love the odd twists (Bainter and Hull for instance) it takes. Ida is just fantastic in the film, it's like her personal High Sierra, the high point of her career for me anyway, though she had many. She's just so beautiful in this one, delicate yet strong and pitch perfect.

My favorites for Ida in order:

Deep Valley
Ladies in Retirement
Out of the Fog
High Sierra
Beware My Lovely
Devotion

I haven't yet seen The Drive By Night and I haven't seen The Light that Failed for years - I do remember being shocked by her in the latter film so it could easily go up on the list.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

A video montage of images from Deep Valley (1946) can be seen here:
[youtube][/youtube]

I am trying to fix the slight hesitation on the audio track. Sorry about that.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Mave, wonderful reflections.
Jackie, she was beautiful in this.
King, thanks for the Browning literary reference.
Chio and Miss G, thanks for the Gilligan's Island "bikini" trivia alert!

I enjoyed seeing Gig Young, as well as Eleanor Parker in their supporting roles in Escape Me Never. Some of those scenes with Errol had to be lines he often heard from the real women in his life, and I felt that he had a few moments on screen that were more than mere reactions to the script. During the filming of Escape Me Never, Flynn was still married to Nora Eddington, and his son Rory was born in March before this film was released in December of 1947.
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

[u]Sue Sue Applegate[/u] wrote:Mave, wonderful reflections....
Thanx Sue x 2.
[u]MOIRA FINNIE[/u] wrote:A video montage of images from Deep Valley (1946) can be seen here...I am trying to fix the slight hesitation on the audio track. Sorry about that.
You did a good job with this, Lark. How'd you do this, did you import 5he pictures onto

moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Thanks, CineMaven. For some reason your comment appears to be incomplete, but I am guessing that you were asking how I edited these photos into a photo montage? It was done on a Picasa program, though I sometimes use Windows MovieMaker. The sound was great on my computer, but when uploading to youtube, something in the audio becomes compressed or out of sync. I haven't given up on licking that flaw yet.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

:oops: You're right Moira. I didn't... Picasa, ey? You use a p.c. then, right? I have a MacBook Pro. I'd get the pictures from Google, then I'd import them into my Final Cut Pro editing program and put 'em on the Timeline. You did a good job. I love that Steiner song too. Nice.

moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

CineMaven wrote::oops: You're right Moira. I didn't... Picasa, ey? You use a p.c. then, right? I have a MacBook Pro. I'd get the pictures from Google, then I'd import them into my Final Cut Pro editing program and put 'em on the Timeline. You did a good job. I love that Steiner song too. Nice.
I am afraid that I am priced out of the Mac market though my family seems to be divided down the middle regarding Windows vs. Mac. The artistic side with the cash all go for Macs, but peasants like me haven't made that transition yet. I have a bunch of software to edit video and stills and they work okay for my small needs.

Someday I'll probably break down and get something better, but I'm okay for now. I wonder what Ida would use? Here's an amusing picture of her surrounded by the crew in a screening room while making her first film as a director, Not Wanted (1949)--I always wondered if the director felt that was an appropriate title for her debut in this unusual role for a woman? See if you can find her...

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Lovely photo of Ida and the guys, Moira. What pluck she had to do that. Can you imagine the confidence she had to muster in 1949 to run that show?

I just wish I was as tech savvy as you and the Maven...
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Moira, if it ain't broke don't fix it, I always say.