Hallelujah, I'm a Bum

JackFavell

Re: Hallelujah, I'm a Bum

Post by JackFavell »

I have been out almost all day, so I just read your post. That's a great idea, Feaito! I don't know what I could add, because I haven't seen too many Milestone films lately.... maybe I should start a retrospective of the man's films to prepare myself.....
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I love Hallelujah, I'm a Bum and am a great fan of Lewis Milestone. I used to hate Al Jolson. Then, thanks to TCM, I saw Wonder Bar (1934), and Go Into Your Dance (1935) which made me re-assess my opinion of this performer. He needed to be kept in check, and thank goodness, his role in Hallelujah, I'm a Bum is one of the most restrained of his career (and that's a good thing!). I wrote more about this film here, if you'd like to read more.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
feaito

Post by feaito »

Thanks for posting the link to your enlightening and well written -as usual- article Moira. While reading it I realized I had committed a tremendous mistake writing on a previous post that "Hallelujah I'm a Bum" (1933) and "Love Me Tonight" (1932) were based upon stage musicals, when in fact they were originally made for the screen, being this one of the main reasons that make them so fresh, likable and fascinating. I got confused because Rodgers & Hart wrote some Musical plays that were transferred to the screen. I do not usually like Broadway Musicals transferred to the screen, "Kiss Me Kate" (1953) being a noteworthy exception -my second favorite all-time movie musical.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I just finished reading your incredibly detailed and spot on analysis of Hallelujah, I'm a Bum, Moira.

I so appreciate your articles, because there is always something (usually lots of somethings)that I don't know about, such as the fascinating research out of The Park and the People: A History of Central Park. There are also comparison films that I would love to see. I am curious how you get to see the movies in your articles - some of them seem so fabulously out of reach for me that I find myself jealous when reading your Morlocks blog. At the very least, they should appoint you the prime minister of box sets - I could see a great set including HIAB, One More Spring, Union Depot (which is on youtube), Boudu Saved From Drowning, A Nous La Liberte (or Le Million), and Pennies from Heaven.

I am finally starting to appreciate Morgan's jealous lover roles - The Good Fairy and this film being the best so far that I have seen.

Perhaps because I am so far removed from the Great Depression, I absolutely love the combination of social consciousness and unreality in HIAB. I pride myself on being able to empathize with moviegoers of a certain time, and I think this film might have been too painful for some to watch. However, I have always loved the early thirties fairy tales (like Lubitsch's musicals, or The Good Fairy), and I think this film fits into that same genre. The completely unreal universe of that time period captures my heart in a way that hardly any other movies do. I don't want reality from my movies - I want something that I cannot get anywhere else except in classic film.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oh yes. Here is the link to Union Depot:

[youtube][/youtube]
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Cool, thanks for adding that Union Depot link, JF. I love that movie. Actually, HIAB is on DVD and it's cheap (I bought a gently used one on Amazon for under $5). Regarding movies that are not easily available, I've been very fortunate since some very kind people with copies of movies have shared them in the past. I also don't care if a print is pristine or not. I'm interested in the content, if it's visible!

As to the boxed sets, the only other film I might add to that splendid one you created might be Heroes For Sale, Man's Castle and American Madness, though I'm sure there are more that others could name as belonging too. I'd love to see a politically oriented box set for the Depression too, which could include HIAB and these three:
Gabriel Over the White House (Was Walter Huston a god among mere mortal actors, or what?) BTW, this one is on TCM on Oct.23rd at 2 AM ET.
The Phantom President (Probably our only real chance to see George M. Cohan on film, in all likelihood...even if he was a pill on the set)
The Dark Horse (This one is just too funny as Guy Kibbee runs for president and Warren William plays Karl Rove, '30s style).

Here's a clip from The Phantom President. Boy, is George M. obnoxious, but you can really see how Jimmy Cagney crafted a likable performance out of the real guy. I think that Cohan may be playing to the cheap seats in this clip. I know Jimmy Durante is.
[youtube][/youtube]
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Awesome! I've NEVER seen the real George M. Cohan before. It's great to know that Cagney did an even more magnificent job than I thought he did.

You've piqued my interest. I am going to start looking for all these films.
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Now I feel awful about having missed HALLELUJAH, I'M A BUM. Why? Because last night, after a week of watching about a dozen movies, the best of which rose to the "That's pretty good" level, I saw a movie that had a recipe of generous amounts of Chaplin and Sennett, a dash of Mamoulian, a pinch of German Expressionism, and a touch of Lubitsch: LE MILLION (Rene Clair, 1931). It certainly lightened this noirish heart. Okay, that now makes two pre-1950 musicals that off-hand I can remember falling into the "Great!" category (LOVE ME TONIGHT being the other).

Upon an SSO search, this is the only place I found Clair or this movie is mentioned. If HALLELUJAH, I'M A BUM is anywhere close to this, I need to queue it up.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
feaito

Post by feaito »

ChiO wrote:Now I feel awful about having missed HALLELUJAH, I'M A BUM. Why? Because last night, after a week of watching about a dozen movies, the best of which rose to the "That's pretty good" level, I saw a movie that had a recipe of generous amounts of Chaplin and Sennett, a dash of Mamoulian, a pinch of German Expressionism, and a touch of Lubitsch: LE MILLION (Rene Clair, 1931). It certainly lightened this noirish heart. Okay, that now makes two pre-1950 musicals that off-hand I can remember falling into the "Great!" category (LOVE ME TONIGHT being the other).

Upon an SSO search, this is the only place I found Clair or this movie is mentioned. If HALLELUJAH, I'M A BUM is anywhere close to this, I need to queue it up.
I agree ChiO, "Love Me Tonight" (1932) falls into the -very- GREAT category. "Hallelujah I'm a Bum" (1933) on the other hand is extremely good too. Both belong to the kind of films that I cant watch countless times, and each time discover new things about them.

I'll put "Le Million" on my list. Thanks for the tip. Did you see a Subtitled version?
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Le million is a great great movie. I love Clair - Sous les toits de Paris, A nous la liberte, and Quatorze Juillet are also sublime, though I think Le million might be my favorite.

I agree with your comparison to Mamoulian and Lubitsch.... all three were incredible innovators and risk takers. None thought of sound as an impediment, and each took the talkies to a higher level by restricting talking for talking's sake.

Clair makes me swoon with happiness.

I loved Hallelujah, I'm a Bum almost as much as the previously mentioned films. I thought it was wonderful.
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

feaito wrote:

I'll put "Le Million" on my list. Thanks for the tip. Did you see a Subtitled version?
I watched it on VHS. English subtitles. The TCM site indicates that it's out-of-print in the U.S. (of course, that may mean it's sold on every street corner in the rest of the world, or that it just recently went out of print). Maybe it's being re-issued shortly -- I got it two months ago, brand new and in a sealed box, at the Facets warehouse sale for $0.99, so it is either being re-issued or Facets just had a bunch in storage to unload.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

Le Million is available on DVD from Criterion. Great print, too. I pull this one out frequently.

Hallelujah, I'm a Bum is available on DVD from MGM. While I like the film a lot, for me, it's nowhere near Le Million or Love Me Tonight.
"Let's be independent together." Dr. Hermey DDS
feaito

Post by feaito »

ChiO wrote:
feaito wrote:

I watched it on VHS. English subtitles. The TCM site indicates that it's out-of-print in the U.S. (of course, that may mean it's sold on every street corner in the rest of the world, or that it just recently went out of print). Maybe it's being re-issued shortly -- I got it two months ago, brand new and in a sealed box, at the Facets warehouse sale for $0.99, so it is either being re-issued or Facets just had a bunch in storage to unload.
Thanks For the info ChiO.
Le Million is available on DVD from Criterion. Great print, too. I pull this one out frequently.
http://www.amazon.com/Million-Criterion ... 284&sr=8-1

Hallelujah, I'm a Bum is available on DVD from MGM. While I like the film a lot, for me, it's nowhere near Le Million or Love Me Tonight.
http://www.amazon.com/Hallelujah-Im-Bum ... 313&sr=1-1
Kevin, Thanks. I'll check if I can find the Criterion DVD Edition in Santiago. Some specialty stores import DVDs and BlueRay, but the prices are quite steep (double or triple of what they cost in the USA or Europe).
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

I discovered this interesting and unusual musical yesterday. It's a very interesting picture showing tramps having a whale of time in Central Park who don't even want to work and have money as it means losing their freedom. I was impressed by Milestone's camera movements and Jolson's performance. The rhythmic dialogue works very well for me. It's quite nostalgic to notice some once famous silent comedians, Harry Langdon and Chester Conklin who were no doubt having a hard time in 1933. Overall I found the film impressive and unusually socially conscious.
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Being a Jolson fan, I discovered Hallelujah I'm a Bum quite a few years ago, and I love it for its beautiful and touching score by Rogers and Hart, its sweet story, and for the fact that Milestone actually got (at times) an actual performance from Jolson. There are scenes where he managed to play the character rather than just himself. :) Besides, it has Frank Morgan (always a huge plus in my book!), and Harry Langdon is also very good in a talking role.

I only wish the exquisite "You Are Too Beautiful" wasn't so truncated in the movie, especially since Jolson's singing is so wonderful.

Here's a lovely version by one of my most favorite singers, Johnny Hartman.

Obviously uploaded by a Gene Tierney fan. :)