John Ireland

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Western Guy

Re: John Ireland

Post by Western Guy »

I agree with you, RedRiver about I SAW WHAT YOU DID. I really enjoyed the William Castle films as a kid but now that I've grown into (gulp) older age, they don't have quite the same appeal -- how depressing is that? Besides ISWYD, the only other Castle film I still enjoy (and so does my non-horror fan wife) is THE TINGLER. But I will maintain that my most memorable scare comes from HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL. I'm sure you fans know what scene I'm referring to.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I tried telling a friend about the Castle film. This guy's older than I am; a professional actor. "You mean I SAW WHAT YOU DID LAST SUMMER?" He just didn't get it! I still like the movies. They're not as scary as when I was young. But the're deliciously melodramatic. Am I correct that STRAIT-JACKET is a Castle project? That's really exciting. I like THE NIGHT WALKER. Not long ago I caught HOMICIDAL for the first time. I was not disappointed!
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Heck, makes one feel old when people of a newer generation confuse titles. But I pretty much experienced that when people asked me what new book I was working on and I said a biography of George Raft, only to be met with a 99.9% response of "Who?"

Yep, "Straight-Jacket" is another William Castle/Joan Crawford film. You could see the direction her career was headed: Moving straight into "Trog".
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

For decades, it looked like Joan just didn't make bad movies. You want Joan? Get a good project! I guess her luck finally ran out. TROG? The one about the mental hospital? Sorry, Joan!
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

. . . And let's not forget the immortal BERSERK.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I remember when that was on TCM one Friday night. I didn't get home in time to watch it.