Screwed on Oscar Night

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

A film I admire Rosalind Russell in is "Sister Kenny" (1946), as Elizabeth Kenny, a young nurse out in the Australian bush who discovers an effective treatment for polio.
She was Oscar nominated best actress and lost to Olivia de Havilland for "To Each His Own", although she did win the Golden Globe Award that year.
feaito

Post by feaito »

I'd like to see that one too Mongo! I remember seeing a still of it in an old British book titled "Films Review (1947)" by F. Maurice Speed.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Good morning, Gentlemen,

I suggest you add to the list of Russell must-sees a nice little movie called "Roughly Speaking." I remember enjoying this one very much.

I think we've discussed it - maybe at the Other Place.

She plays an independent and unconventional woman who runs a business and raises a family. It's based on a popular memoir of the 40s of the same name. A sort of mild precursor to Russell's performance as Auntie Mame.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Thanks for that recommendation Judith.
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi,

Judith & Fernando -
"Roughly Speaking" is an excellent film and worth seeing for Jack Carson also.

Mongo -
"Sister Kenny" certainly shows what a good actress in a good movie can do. Highly recommended.

These two movies, I think, showcase that Rosalind Russell was a very good actress, who although was glamourous, funny and soignee, could get into the nitty-gritty and portray real people.

Larry
Moraldo Rubini

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

I'll never forget the expression on Lauren Bacall's face when she lost the Best Supporting Actress award to Juliet Binoche. Bacall seemed devastated when another's name was called. She was certain she would win, perhaps really as a tribute to her entire career. Many others thought so too. Binoche's storyline in The English Patient was the best part of the otherwise ridiculous telling. But I remember rooting for Joan Allen, whose performance as Elizabeth Proctor in The Crucible knocked me out.
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Moraldo, I also remember Bacall's expression that night at the Academy Awards, as she looked at her family. The hullabaloo of her nomination, and winning the Golden Globe Award, brought her high hopes. Even Binoche thought that Bacall would win.
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Although Mary Astor won the Oscar for her flashy and glamourous role as the bitchy Sandra in "The Great Lie" (1941), I always felt that Sara Allgood deserved it more as the matriarch of the Morgan family in "How Green Was My Valley" (1941). Too bad there wasn't a tie.
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi Marco & Mongo,

I too remember Lauren Bacall and her reaction to losing. She has since said that she was showing shock not disappointment at not winning, since like Roz, everyone had told her they had voted for her.
I do like Lauren Bacall but not everybody in Hollywood does, so that could account for her upset.

I also remember Ann Sothern not winning and she was very well liked in Hollywood; but I think she was more savvy to Hollywood, since after the show she told several people that she knew that whenever 100 people say they've done something, you know they haven't or they thought about it and forgot.
She said she was happy to be out & about and having lunches and parties with people she hadn't seen in years. So, she was a winner in the end.

Larry
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi Joe,

I'm glad Mary Astor won that Oscar......
Love Sara Allgood too but I have a special warm spot for Mary and her Oscar. She was awarded a plaque back then and many years later petitioned the Academy for a real Oscar, which was presented to her in a luncheon cermony in the 70's.

When I visited her in 1986, she had him on a table in her small sitting room in her bungalow at Woodland Hills. I examined it in detail and she said that she picks him up every morning and says "Good Morning" or "Hello, little man" to him and caresses his bum for good luck.
"That lovely little tush has kept me going now for years!".....

So please Joe, don't begrudge poor Mary her Oscar!!!!!!

Larry

P.S. - Mary died a year later... And, Pola Negri a month before her. Two of my 'old ladies' gone together..
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Larry, I would never begrudge Miss Astor her Oscar, and that's why I had wished there was a tie with the two actresses.

Have you any idea where her Oscar ended up?
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi Joe,

I believe her daughter has it. But, don't hold me to that; she was willed it but whether or not she possesses it I truly cannot say... Let's hope so!!

Larry
bradtexasranger

Re: 1996

Post by bradtexasranger »

[quote="Moraldo Rubini"]I'll never forget the expression on Lauren Bacall's face when she lost the Best Supporting Actress award to Juliet Binoche.

What film was Ms Bacall nominated for that year?
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

The movie was "The Mirror Has Two Faces" with Barbara Streisand.
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

That's actually 'Barbra'.