Happy Birthday, Fernando!!

Chit-chat, current events
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi Fernando & Nancy,

I'm so glad you had a great day & nice feast on your birthday. At 40, you're still just a young pup compared to me!!

Presently, I am semi hosting an Orchestra rehearsal luncheon for Josh Groban, when he comes here on August 15th...
Here's my menu:
1) small clear mushroom soup
2) romaine lettuce & red cabbage salad with poppyseed dressing
3) lamb chops with light clear mint sauce
4) small roast potatoes with buttered chalots
5) chunky carrot slices & beets
6) small lemon baked alaska

I want a white wine but our sommelier wants to serve red
I'm going to suggest a Chilean wine

Thankfully, I'm only responsible for 3 tables (36 people out of 180) this time so I should have a good time. I don't need to be a 'tyrant' this time around!!

Larry
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

wowsers, Larry, now I'm so hungry I could weep! I hosted a dear friend's 86th birthday brunch yesterday, we were at a wonderful Italian restaurant in Independence MO. Mimosas, Eggs Benedict, small sausages, smoky bacon, every kind of fresh fruit available, coffee, and the restaurant's special rum cake for anyone who could find room.

Haven't eaten since....

your menu sounds light, refreshing and especially delicious. Hope Mr. Groban appreciates it.

No snapping of fingers this time?? :lol:
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
feaito

Post by feaito »

After reading Larry's menu for the Josh Groban luncheon and what knitwit had for brunch yesterday, I'm dead hungry!! I'll have to go out to have lunch now!

And Larry, I hope you'll be able to convince your sommelier. Either a Chilean Syrah (Shyraz), Merlot or Carmenère would be fantastic!
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Fernando,

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll mention them tomorrow, when we need to finalize the order...

Cheers!

Larry
feaito

Post by feaito »

Glad you liked the suggestions Larry. I hope everything will be perfect on the 15th. :D
movieman1957
Administrator

Re: Happy Birthday, Fernando!!

Post by movieman1957 »

I misread the date. I looked at the date you responded rather than the date it was started. D'oh.

Happy belated birthday. (The 2nd wasn't it?)

(How is that for digging up an old thread - 2007.)
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
knitwit45

Re:

Post by knitwit45 »

knitwit45 wrote:OK, everybody, I vote we all meet at Feaito's house next year for his birthday! What a wonderful party it must have been.
We'll all be there next year!!!! :lol: :lol:

Nancy
Ummmmm, folks, we seemed to have missed the boat.....or plane......Darn!!!!
'Nando, hope your birthday was wonderful (even if it was sans SSO) :lol: :lol: :lol:

¡feliz cumpleaños!
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Post deleted.

[Just wait 'til you're 60. You'll understand.]
Last edited by jdb1 on August 6th, 2009, 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Thank you very much Chris and Nancy!!! I had a very "Feliz Cumpleaños". My wife arranged a wonderful, intimate soirée on Saturday evening (8:30 PM) in our apartment with my family, relatives and some friends. My birthday cake was made of red marzipan with a sexy Betty Boop on top, also made of marzipan, filled inside with manjar (dulce de leche) and lúcuma.

I got many wonderful gifts, among them some cinema-related, like the new John Barrymore Collection released by KINO, a book on Cecil B. De Mille and Mark Vieira's Book on Garbo. I also received Depeche Mode's new double CD-DVD.

The last person to leave the gathering was my sister and her husband, around 4:15 AM Sunday! We chatted and chatted.....
feaito

Post by feaito »

jdb1 wrote:Nando, I'm so sorry I missed your birthday on the weekend. Sounds like it was a very memorable one. I think you'll find that everything gets a lot easier from now on (and you can learn to ignore the aches and pains as you go along). As they used to say here in the 1980s -- "40 is Fabulous!"

And, Larry, love the menu, especially the salad. I am a big fan of poppyseeds, and I think they are criminally underutilized in our cuisine because they are a bit bothersome to eat (stick in the teeth; hard to get out once they stick, etc.) They are very flavorful, and add nice body to dressings and such. My stepmother used to make a luncheon dish of noodles with butter and poppyseeds (and sometimes she added farmer cheese or pot cheese, which are like a drier version of cottage cheese) which is very quick and easy to prepare, and really delicious.

We have such clever partygivers in our midst, don't we?
Thank you very much for your warm wishes Judith :D , but the birthday celebration you read about was the one this thread was originally created for back in 2007 when I turned 40. Now I've turned 42 and it was a much quieter, but nevertheless entertaining, celebration.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Oh, sorry. I am way behind the times, and I have not been keeping up.

I still so confused by the fact that you have a winter birthday in August. I feel so upside down.

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
feaito

Post by feaito »

Why do you have to feel sorry Judith? Thanks for the good wishes! After all, I celebrated my birthday very few days ago and 42 and 40 are similar ages, aren't they? I'd like to organize another party (with dancing and all) for a future birthday. Maybe when I turn 50? :wink:

Best,

Fernando
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Happy B-day Fernando. Hope you had a good one!
silentscreen

Post by silentscreen »

A Very Belated Happy Birthday Fernando! :)
"Humor is nothing less than a sense of the fitness of things." Carole Lombard
feaito

Post by feaito »

Many thanks Brenda and Mr. Ark!