WHAT MUSICALS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

moira finnie
Administrator

Re: WHAT MUSICALS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Post by moira finnie »

I hope that the cyclone does as little harm as possible, though this article indicates that the power of Yassi is enormous. Australia has been through too much in the last few weeks and your voice is appreciated here, Fossy. Please stay safe.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Yikes, Fossy! Hope you are safe.

My work-study wrote a very perceptive response to the article and we discussed it for a few minutes this morning. She was very impressed with Fred Astaire as you can imagine (who wouldn't be?) though she had a different reaction to the images in the number than the NY Times writer had.

Then I asked her if she had ever heard of Stormy Weather (the movie that Nicholas Brothers clip had come from) and she hadn't, so I dialed it up on youtube and watched Lena Horne sing the title tune. I could watch (and listen to) Lena Horne, like, FOREVER. :) She also would have been at the top of the A-list in another day and age -- along with the divine Dorothy Dandridge.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

pvitari wrote:Yikes, Fossy! Hope you are safe.

My work-study wrote a very perceptive response to the article and we discussed it for a few minutes this morning. She was very impressed with Fred Astaire as you can imagine (who wouldn't be?) though she had a different reaction to the images in the number than the NY Times writer had.

Then I asked her if she had ever heard of Stormy Weather (the movie that Nicholas Brothers clip had come from) and she hadn't, so I dialed it up on youtube and watched Lena Horne sing the title tune. I could watch (and listen to) Lena Horne, like, FOREVER. :) She also would have been at the top of the A-list in another day and age -- along with the divine Dorothy Dandridge.
Did your work study know Lena Horne or Dorothy Dandridge at all?

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Did your work study know Lena Horne or Dorothy Dandridge at all?
Well, she knows now who Lena Horne is. :)

I've found that college kids -- and we're talking very smart college kids who are attending a top Southern university -- know a lot about what they've learned in class, and about whatever popular culture they've experienced first hand. But if it's anything they haven't experienced directly -- fuggedaboudit.

I was pretty much like that when I was their age but not entirely since by 17 I had become an opera devotee and also loved history and mythology. ;) But I sure didn't know about old movies (yet). :) It was another decade or so before I made that leap. :)
Fossy

Post by Fossy »

So This Is Love (1953)

I watched a number of films yesterday while waiting for the worst to happen. One of the films I watched was So This Is Love (1953). This is a biopic based on Grace Moore`s autobiography. Surprisingly the film follows the book fairly closely.

Kathryn Grayson plays the role of Grace and I feel that this is Kathryn`s best film. (I have all her films).

Cyclone Yasi

Cairns missed the worst of the cyclone as it drifted far enough south to cause minimal damage here. It was very noisy, the garden was trashed and a side fence flattened. I am quite happy about that. The anticipated storm surge did not happen. Thank you to those members who expressed concern.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I'm so relieved! I'm glad you are OK.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I'm so glad you're safe Fossy. You can get back to your musicals in peace.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Fossy

Post by Fossy »

The Helen Morgan Story (1957)
Featured Ann Blyth , Paul Newman and Richard Carlson.

A biopic of Helen Morgan. Ann Blyth did a Great job in the role of Helen. In the movie, Ann bore a striking resemblance to Helen. Set in the prohibition era this is a story of the brilliance and tragedy which was Helen Morgan. The beautiful voice of Gogi Grant was dubbed.

Since I started collecting movies a couple of years ago, and reading of the stars in the movies I have watched I am amazed at the incidence of alcoholism. I had always thought of this as a man`s disease. How wrong I was.

I use a number system to decide what to watch. This means that I get to watch all my movies, not just the ones I like best. By coincidence, in the last week I have watched “The Great Dan Patch” featuring the beautiful Gail Russell, an alcoholic who died at age 36.
“Sally” (1929) with Marilyn Miller, an alcoholic who died at age 37. “Showboat” (1936) featured Helen Morgan who recreated her broadway role of Julie. Helen overcame her alcoholism too late. The damage had been done and she died at age 41.
JackFavell

!"

Post by JackFavell »

I watched The Love Parade last night for the second time now. I enjoyed it much more this time - with the early Lubitsch musicals I always catch myself with a smile on my face after a few minutes.

Lubitsch, at least in his earlier movies, always gives you a small surprise right at the beginning of each film, a little something to catch your attention and thrill. It's something that I appreciate every time in The Love Parade. Lupino Lane starts the film by setting the table for his boss, Maurice Chevalier, who is having female company, dinner for two. He's singing a jaunty little song:
Jacques: (singing) I'll lay the dish here / Ooh, la la la la! / To hold the fish here / Ooh, la la la la! / The serviettes here / And now the cigarettes here / And matches, too. / They mustn't complain. / A little candy / Ooh, la la la la! / A little brandy / Ooh, la la la la! / A bunch of roses / To show the way we entertain / And a little bottle of champagne.
And at this point he sweeps the tablecloth out from under the entire table setting!he does this with impeccable rhythm, just as the music finishes up. It's a moment of panache and style that always takes my breath away. It sets the pleasurable mood for the rest of the picture. Even Mr. Favell started up out of his half slumber with the words, "That was cool!" at this little bagatelle, a gift from Lubitsch, an appetizer to whet ones palate for the rest of the meal.

Chevalier is so charming that he can get away with anything, and is a very good actor, in my opinion. I find him fascinating, vigorous, attractive, and somewhat wistful in his more serious scenes, and it's a combination that really works - he lights up the screen....I can only imagine how he must have revived audiences of the time with his robust naughtiness. It only occurred to me last night that English was his second language, and that this was his second film in the U. S. - his first being the little seen Innocents of Paris . The NY Times critic said of that movie "He is the whole show, and when he is off screen the suspense consists of waiting until he reappears, either to sing or talk in his charming manner." I couldn't agree more, and that love of life that Chevalier brings with him continues right into The Love Parade. He's terribly expressive, huge yes, but not overdone. And he's incredibly good at the double entendre, considering that most transplants from a foreign country would have difficulty even getting the words out, much less giving depth and meaning to them... Chevalier is playing on several different levels, and this to me is remarkable.

Lubitsch is genius at setting up action - the movie really moves quickly through the first half. His ability to create movement where there is none is priceless here. He edits back and forth during the first number ( and indeed throughout the picture) - from Chevalier singing of the charms of Paris, to groups of women staring adoringly up at him in his balcony window. In fact, someone ought to write a dissertation on Lubitsch and his use of windows and/or keyholes.

This technique works well until the plot bogs down a little during the second half of the film. Chevalier and McDonald who have been absolutely delightful throughout, end up miserable after their marriage. Perhaps this little satire on marriage hits just a little too close to home for me, but I lost the joie de vivre of the earlier parts of the film during this section. And I'm enough of a modern girl to wonder why it is that a woman was expected to do exactly what Maurice does (i.e., stay home doing "nothing" but catering to her spouse) with no real work, but it is hell on earth for him to do the same for Jeannette?

I'm still not sure whether I think Lupino Lane and Lillian Roth are hysterical, or just plain weird. They both have a lot of talent, but together in their knockabout dance numbers they create another of those really strange "comic" moments in pre-code musicals that are not translatable to our time.

Soon however, the charms of Chevalier and MacDonald prevail and they are back to flirting outrageously with one another as the movie comes to it's conclusion. And I was smiling again.

BTW, this movie won an Academy Award for best sound editing, and it deserved it. The sound is as clear as a bell and Lubitsch skillfully wove silent and sound scenes together beautifully to achieve a perfectly made movie in which no seams are visible. or hearable.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I loved your comments on The Love Parade, which I'd never seen before last night. I can never believe that the same deliciously naughty Jeanette MacDonald who appeared in this film and Love Me Tonight became quite so antiseptic and artificial once MGM got their over-produced mitts on her. Don't get me wrong, I do stop and watch her and Nelson Eddy in the good ones at Metro, like Rose Marie and Maytime--but she's like a different person; and has lost her flesh and blood warmth.

I agree about early Chevalier. He was a charmer in the Lubitsch films.

Btw, tomorrow, on Sat. Feb. 5th another Lubitsch is going to be on TCM.:

3:00 PM ET
One Hour With You (1932)
Both members of a married couple fight the temptation to stray. Cast: Maurice Chevalier, Jeanette MacDonald, Charles Ruggles. Dir: Ernst Lubitsch. BW-78 mins,

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I haven't seen the MacDonald and Eddy films, I love her naughtiness in her films with Chevalier, my jury's out as to which one I like the best, is it Love Me Tonight, The Merry Widow or The Love Parade? I can never decide. For me, it is Chevalier who makes these movies, he seems so effortless, he exudes charm, naughtiness and the promise of a good time to come. Reading about him, he wasn't like that at all, he was belittled with self doubt despite being the biggest singing star of his time. Back to Lubitsch, these movies with Chevalier and MacDonald and his other precodes are the best he did.

'Anything to please the Queen?' I love the way they put that song across.

Do watch or record One Hour With You, it's a remake of Lubitsch's Marriage Circle, it's very good.

The only film I have seen of Macdonald's without Chevalier is San Francisco and I didn't like her in that.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Thank you, Moira. I totally agree with you that Jeannette was almost a totally different person in her later films - much tighter looking and acting, though her basic character was set in these precode musicals with Lubitsch and Mamoulian. I thought she was fascinating here, looking more like her sister, Blossom Rock. This was before the studios took the eyebrow tweezers to her, and gave her the glamour treatment, I guess. She was still gorgeous, but like an unformed bit of clay.

I always had trouble liking Jeannette, but now I think her movie persona was far different than her real life personality. From the little I've read, she was much more fun loving than she seems in movies. I absolutely fell for her and Nelson Eddy while watching Rose Marie late one night on TCM. They completely blew my mind! After years of thinking they were too boring and fussy, I realized that they were very human and so good! The acting was great, the romance was palpable - longing leapt out of the screen at me. They were so romantic, and Eddy even dsplayed a sense of humor. I decided that they were either the best actors who ever lived, or I had missed something in my reading about them.

And it turns out, I had - according to Blossom Rock, MacDonald and Eddy had a long and tragic love affair, hidden by the press (it was said that they hated one another, a rumor apparently started by a technician who witnessed a lover's spat). They never bothered to correct this story, so the affair would remain secret. Through some foolish decisions, mostly no fault of their own, the two singers would remain apart for the rest of their lives. And yet, during the making of their movies, they were able to pour out their love to one another on screen, lucky for us all.

Anyway, do yourself a favor, Alison, and rent Rose Marie sometime. It's very enjoyable, and at the very least you can see Jimmy Stewart in an early role. I think you might actually enjoy it.

So far my favorite pre-code musicals are The Merry Widow and Love Me Tonight. I have been putting off The Smiling Lieutenant and One Hour With You, because I don't want the fun to end! I don't want to run out of Lubitsch musicals! But now I will watch tomorrow at 3 for sure, because I can't resist the infectious humor and fun that Lubitsch invests in his movies. Thanks, Moira for letting me know it is on. I have the box set, but somehow, it's more fun knowing other friends are watching too.

Alison, I have seen the Marriage Circle, which was really great, but quite dark. I am wondering how it will translate to musical format - probably effortlessly, knowing Lubitsch.
Fossy

Post by Fossy »

And at this point he sweeps the tablecloth out from under the entire table setting!he does this with impeccable rhythm, just as the music finishes up.

I tried that once. I was about 10 or 12 years old. Suffice to say that I was severely reprimanded.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

That made me laugh hard, Fossy!You poor thing.
feaito

Post by feaito »

I agree with you, MacDonald's films at Paramount are much better than her later MGM films and showcase a "naughtier", sexier & more mischievous Jeanette....her screen persona up to 1934 was completely different...but there's one of her films of her later period -with Eddy- that's (for me) the best of them and absolutely worth watching above all: "Maytime" (1937).