Members to be TCM Guest Programmers

Discussion of programming on TCM.
mongoII

Re: Members to be TCM Guest Programmers

Post by mongoII »

Thanks for the heads up of tonights guest, Moira. I'm looking forward to watching Monica this evening, a sweet gal that my daughter and I got acquainted with at the TCM get together. I believe that she taped the same day as I did.

Kudos also to Jeff, who came alive during his glowing presentation of "The Man Who Knew To Much".
Jeff joined my daughter and I on our trolly trip in Atlanta where we had a good time. He kept us
smiling with his quips while visiting the Margaret Mitchell house, and especially at the fabulous Fox Theatre, and the Coca Cola building where we tasted drinks from all over the world (of which some were revolting).
Joseph Goodheart
Moraldo Rubini

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

I fell asleep during Meet John Doe. I awoke thinking that Ann Miller had kidnapped Kyle. He's probably still tied up and gagged in a niche somewhere. Very disappointed to have missed Kyle's outro. I'd never seen Miller's interview though, so then that kept me up into the wee hours. She was hysterical! It seemed she had a hand in everything, keeping the 20th century spinning: she introduced Lucy to Desi, she invented pantyhose, she got George Sidney to include Bob Fosse's work in Kiss Me Kate! I want to live in her world!
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I have to head off to the land of nod, so I will miss the last "outro" of this
wonderful event, but I did get to see the taping "live".

Everyone was wonderful, and I'm very proud to be associated with such a group.

It's been a sweet ride.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

Today's Saturday and I can catch up with everything I recorded. Lynn, I thought you were beautiful, no need to change anything with your beautiful hair. I also really liked your choice of clothes - it's always hard to know what looks good on TV.
I can't imagine how scary it is to sit in that chair and talk to RO knowing everything you say will be recorded!
Really, I couldn't have done what you guys did.

I have to congratulate Anna Seagar. 7Brides is one of my all time faves too (and my film fan Mother detests it!) and her intro/outro was just perfect. It sounded somewhat rehersed, but that was ok, she got all of her points covered.

If you want to "like it more" I suggest you pay attention to the barn dance sequence. Like West Side Story, each opposing "group" has their own dancing style, movements and costume colors. It is an actual "diologue" in movement. It seems on the surface to put the woman in a submissive role, but actually the woman lead charactor becomes the most powerful in the course of the story.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Hi everyone. I am trying to familiarize myself with this oasis. I’ve visited very sporadically. I hope to contribute what I know and love about classic films, and definitely ready to learn from you guys. I saw the Fan Programmer thread and want to respond to some of the <DUCK!!!!> responses I’ve seen. WTF, was that a tomato???

”I love CineMaven's hair, (you should give Elvis Mitchell some help) her voice and she's the only one wearing a color-beautiful coral blouse!” - TikiSoo.

Tiki...I am very flattered by your comments. As a baby boomer trying to keep up with these pretty young things is a heck of job. Luckily, knowing and loving classic films is keeping me on equal footing with them. As for my hair, a wonderful stylist name Alake has hooked me up. Tell Elvis to call me. ;-)

-------------

”Then around 1966, TV showed "The Letter" and I thought she was grand. So understated in her performance - it's all in her eyes and that knitting to a certain extent. And, after viewing many, many more films of hers, I still think "The Letter" is her best...Gale Sondergaard is excellent here too. But, here she very easily could have won for this chilling emoting. Even 70 years later, she scares the hell out of me.”
- Vecchiolarry.

Hello there Larry. I know what it’s like to be dead set against a film and refusing to change your mind. I am so glad you gave THE LETTER a second chance back in 1966. I thought this was a fantastic performance by the Movie Queen. She lies and lies throughout the film. (I’m thinking of Jane Greer in “Out of the Past”). Not only does she have those “Bette Davis eyes”. But at one point after she ”faints” and lays on that cot, she asks her attorney to go against his ethics. Wyler chooses NOT to show Bette’s face and she acts with her left hand on the wall. "Are you going to let them, hang me" Whew! As for Gale, someone wrote me that they loved her Sondergaardian Glare. Yowsah!! Loved that letter exchange scene too.

Thank you very much for your kind comments and I’m so sorry you missed Peter’s film. I’ll second your emotion: “What the O’ Canada!!"

----------

”If everyone comes off as well as you did, this site will receive many kudos for their membership, which makes all of us look good.”
- mrsl.

Hello mrsl. Well the week is over and I only hope I came off as well as my fellow Programmers. I hope TCM found we all added a sheen to their lustre. Ha! We had three minutes to show our personality while talking about our favorite film. Each programmer brought our own flavor, enthusiasm to the mix; it’s like each programmer’s film was like their own child. My child was a murderous liar. Yes sir...that’s my baby.

---------

”Metaphorically at least, Theresa, Lani and Peter all deserve to be drawn through the TCM City streets on the back of a golden chariot with rose petals strewn in your path for your splendid kick-off of this stellar week. You were each so articulate and immaculately groomed, (good choices on the clothes too), I was mightily impressed.”
- moirafinnie.

TCM...hear us roar! Moira...when you send the chariot for us (and realize I’m used to the best after TCM’s way of treating us), I hope that chariot has a compartment where the tv can go into. It only needs one channel. If we came off looking well, it’s becuz Robert Osborne made us feel as if we were at home.

---------

I think you hit it on the head jdbl, when you said ’film fan to film fan.’ Wonderful summation of Mr. Osborne. Gray eyes, dashing smile. Oh yeah, he likes movies too. He’s a true fan. And it was an honor.

-------

”I really enjoyed THE LETTER for the first time ever, since I've usually avoided Bette Davis films. But with CM's prompting, I very much enjoyed this film...”
- Ollie.

I am glad that my prompting got you to see this film. Can you imagine being Bette Davis at the height of her fame; youthful, directors falling all over themselves to work with her; the best cameramen, sizzling scripts (after her fight with the Brothers Warner). I am so happy TCM allowed me my first choice of film. She gave a wonderful performance and you stuck around in spite of my unprofessional status. Thanx!

By the way, was that you who hit me in the head with that tomato?

-------

"CineMaven - I would only like to echo the sentiments of the rest:
you were simply fantastic! Brilliantly articulate and beautiful to
boot! A true credit to cinephiles everywhere; congratulations!”
- Dewey1960.

Deway Deway oh yeah...what a compliment. Thank you so much. But then there was Tuesday and Wednesday and Thursday and...I was lucky to go on first and avoid comparison for the after. Thanx again, man.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

CM, if it was me that got you with a tomato (HURRAY! I finally hit SOMEONE!!), I prefer to think of it as the starter to guacamole. There SHOULD have been onions, a roasted garlic clove or two, and plenty of avocados. But you didn't get those?!! Darn... I can NEVER do that right!

I am so sorry that this week passed by. ONLY 15 movies hosted is my lasting comment. ONLY! I really enjoyed all of them although, gladly, we saw MALTESE this weekend at a local film festival big-screen showing - we get it at least twice a year though. And still, a big screen filled with MALTESE fans is the superior experience. I see we've got THE LETTER coming up and this will be the first time I've seen that on a big-screen, so I won't avoid it - as I normally would. Me & Bette, you see.

But now, with your prompting? I'm wanting to see it all over again.

As these years advance, I've been letting Bette get me into see more of her films, and I've ungraciously accepted that I like her. I like her bad ones, her weak ones and her good & famous ones. Even Joan and I have been seen together! Jeepers. But that all started with Stanwyck and seeing 1953's JEOPARDY with Ralph Meeker. Then my once fortified judgments against this trio have been eroded away. This IS the cost of marriage - that's what I blame it on. Darned women...

One of these days, I want to start a thread and see if you, CM and the other guest hosts have wished you'd have presented a different film. So far, based on the writings here and on TCM, I'd say there is a universal joy over your contribution to my and all of TCM fans' pleasures. I'd expected to see maybe a 60-40 split Pro-Con about your selections, with the "40" naysayers actually being those 1 or 2 UserIDs that clog up the other board! But instead, I don't think I've seen anything derogatory at all. Whew! Just me, the threat of thrown fruit, a few voodoo doll pins and that seems to be the worst of it. Whew!
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Ollie...I think I'm going to like it here. Your post is so so clever. I love witticisms, metaphors and a slight edge of sarcasm. I like the way you write and I think I'm getting the proper inflections you imparted in your post. (You're not so tough even if you are a card-carrying member of the He Men's Women Haters Club).

Fan Programmers' alternatives. Sounds like a nice idea for a thread.

Your post also explains the aches and pains and pinches I felt slightly in Atlanta. I thought it was from my seat belt being too tight on the plane ride in(but it was your needles and pins in my voodoo doll). I wanted a double shot of Patron to ease my discomfort. BUT my guest would not allow me to drink at the cocktail party until AFTER my shoot that Monday (darned SpoilSport). On second thought if she had let me drink, I'm afraid the TCM viewers would have seen me giving Mr. Osborne a lap dance, rubbing my fingers through his Brylcremed hair and babbling about *"sparkling Burgundy". (*Just testing your movie buffdom. You know how we women are!)

I'm glad you've opened yourself up to the charms of Bette, Joan and Stanwyck. Any guy could love that trifecta of blonde, brunette and red-headed glam: Rita, Ava & Lana. But it takes a real man to love the first three. They weren't conventionally pretty, but strong-willed and would pull a trigger or throw a knife at a moment's notice; it takes a man secure in his manhood to open up his heart (and turn his back) on those three. Your wife has trained you well.

I look forward to talking to you and others in this oasis. (Though I'll probably stay away from silents).

Now for all you female Oasis members...I need to know HOW to get garnishments and condiments out of my locs becuz of Ollie's fruit grenade. My hair's awful sticky now and people keep trying to twirl my locs onto their forks as though they were spaghetti. Good aim, you cad!

Thanx for your help, Ladies.

CineMaven.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Firstly I must say MOIRA I LOVE YOUR AVATAR, NEVER, EVER CHANGE IT, HE'S SO CUTE.

I am so pleased the guest programming went well. I wish I had chance to comment on your hair Lynn, I bet it was lovely. Is there any chance of getting a viewing via youtube (I'm not well acquainted with the site). I told you you had nothing to worry about that date :wink:
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

Good question, CCFan. I too have hoped TCM would put up all the Intro's and Outro's somewhere - YouTube or their own site. Or get the DVD sellers to sponsor them - they certainly will not hurt those titles' sales one bit. Maybe stick 'em as an addendum for the TCM.COM's retailer Movies Unltd.
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

It's been a rough couple of weeks around here, but I just wanted to say I was so thrilled to 'meet' all of our SSO friends who were guest programmers. I had to do some fancy recordings and do a lot of fast forwarding but I finally got to see them all! I think you all did a wonderful job and am sure that film lovers both old and new were influenced by your heartfelt introductions. I appreciated all the films you recommended and it picqued my interest to see many of them again. I think you all should get permanent jobs with TCM!

Someone please post if there's someone we can see these intros again; I cut a couple short!
Birdy
No hard feelings that I didn't get to go, "it's an honor just to be nominated." (Or to have your friends nominated, that is!)
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Has anyone recorded the segments? Is there anyway of us none US members seeing them. I'd pay postage, I just love to put a face to names.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

I haven't kept any of the recorded segments. In fact, some of these people have insisted I destroy their photos just because they discovered what I could do with a printer and a dartboard. Jeepers... I never get to have ANY fun!! hrumph!
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

I only recorded them on the DVD Ram - so watched and erased.
I'd love to have a copy, though.
B
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

Have any of the guest programmers heard from TCM Corporate about feedback or how they're interpreting it? Was that ever a consideration or discussed? I remain very impressed by the uniformly positive comments.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

When I was in Atlanta last weekend, I spoke to Charley Tabesh (VP of Programming) and
he said they were very happy with the results and all the positive feedback. He didn't
go into details, but he said several people at TCM have been reading the message boards,
especially the Fan Programmer thread, and enjoying all the comments.

I hope they will do something like this again, I'd like to sit back and see more
and more TCM fans get to go on the air and talk about these great films. It was
a grand idea, and just so perfect for the channel.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers