MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
CinemaInternational

Re: MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Post by CinemaInternational »

I did see Midnight Lace once, but maybe overlooked the campy elements. I know that Doris didn't want to be in the film, and frankly, her hysteria onscreen felt really very sad, knowing that she felt the same way about the material offscreen.

One passing note though. This movie had a weird sort of minor new life in the 1990s. A 1995 episode of Murder, She Wrote ripped off the plot, and a (disappointing) 1998 film called Playing by Heart had a scene where Gena Rowlands was watching it on TV, and was furious when husband Sean Connery gave away the ending.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

CinemaInternational, james and Swithin -- thanks so much with that crucial Lansbury age info!! (don't know what I would do without all you savvy people!)

Now here is an even more pressing question from moi:

Can anyone explain Philip Terry? (other than the fact he was Joan's third husband I believe, after Franchot) I find him an extremely unpleasant presence in THE LOST WEEKEND and other less important stuff.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: December 1st, 2023, 3:00 pm
Now here is an even more pressing question from moi:

Can anyone explain Philip Terry? (other than the fact he was Joan's third husband I believe, after Franchot) I find him an extremely unpleasant presence in THE LOST WEEKEND and other less important stuff.
Well Bronxie, other than always reminding me of Lyle Talbot (looks-wise), I'm afraid I have no other thoughts to share about him, as the guy always came across ME as pretty darn, let's say, nondescript.

(...and perhaps the very reason why he was so well cast as the spurned would-be suitor to Olivia de Havilland's Jody Norris character in one of my favorite tearjerkers, 1946's 'To Each His Own')
Last edited by Dargo on December 1st, 2023, 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

AND, speaking of actors who seemed to always play the "spurned would-be suitor" to some leading lady in a movie, how about Allyn Joslyn here?

But HEY, at least HE was usually pretty good in comedies that had such a theme to them, right?!

(...as I don't think Phillip Terry was ever in OR could have been decent in one)
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Lyle Talbot was scintillating compared to Terry.

Hmm, don't even remember Phillip (thanks Dargo for the correct spelling of his first name) in TO EACH HIS OWN.

I like Allyn Joslyn -- He always had those casually "urban" sophisticated wise-cracks.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: December 1st, 2023, 3:57 pm
Hmm, don't even remember Phillip (thanks Dargo for the correct spelling of his first name) in TO EACH HIS OWN.
He played the straight-arrow and boring small town young man whose marriage proposal to Olivia is rejected by her, and so then on the rebound marries the straight-arrow and boring character that actress Mary Anderson plays in it. After the unmarried Olivia leaves town and gives birth in NYC (I think it is) to the child that was fathered by the dashing young aerial barnstormer played by John Lund and who is killed in WWI, Phillip and Mary's characters end up with the baby and raising it after a plan reminiscent of how Loretta Young's real life little plan to pawn off her kid fathered by Clark Gable as being adopted, goes awry for poor Olivia.

(...hey, told ya this was one of my favorite tearjerkers, now didn't I?! ;) ...have always thought my being adopted contributed to this...although in MY case, I never thought my mom and dad were ever "straight-laced" or "boring")
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

On my recent viewing of CHITTY CHITTY BANG BANG, I realized that Caractacus Potts, the inventor played by Dick Van Dyke, anticipated the development of internet streaming.
He tells his idea to an incredulous Truly Scrumptious when she asks about his prototype during their first meeting.

TRULY Oh, and what’s this gadget?
CARACTACUS Well, that’s not quite right yet, but eventually, I hope to transmit moving pictures by wireless.
TRULY Oh, really?
CARACTACUS Yes, really.

TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

We've all been lamenting on how there's "nothing new" from Hollywood, 90% of movies out there are sequels or rehashes of stories that have already been told.

I'm finding the same after searching upcoming schedules of every other entertainment venue. For example, our downtown Movie Palace also hosts live events on their stage. OK, The Nutcracker is a holiday staple...but after that:

HARRY POTTER & THE SORCERER'S STONE
HAIRSPRAY THE MUSICAL
PAW PATROL LIVE
PRETTY WOMAN THE MUSICAL
GOLDEN GIRLS THE LAUGHS CONTINUE
SESAME ST LIVE
SIX THE MUSICAL

Amazing.
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

HoldenIsHere wrote: December 2nd, 2023, 8:55 pm On my recent viewing of CHITTY CHITTY BANG BANG, I realized that Caractacus Potts, the inventor played by Dick Van Dyke, anticipated the development of internet streaming.
He tells his idea to an incredulous Truly Scrumptious when she asks about his prototype during their first meeting.

TRULY Oh, and what’s this gadget?
CARACTACUS Well, that’s not quite right yet, but eventually, I hope to transmit moving pictures by wireless.
TRULY Oh, really?
CARACTACUS Yes, really.

I think the reference was intended be to an older technology called television, which has always been able to receive moving pictures and sound wirelessly, though I'll admit the description fits the definition of streaming when the streaming device is connected to the internet wirelessly.
Last edited by txfilmfan on December 3rd, 2023, 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

TikiSoo wrote: December 3rd, 2023, 6:05 am We've all been lamenting on how there's "nothing new" from Hollywood, 90% of movies out there are sequels or rehashes of stories that have already been told.

I'm finding the same after searching upcoming schedules of every other entertainment venue. For example, our downtown Movie Palace also hosts live events on their stage. OK, The Nutcracker is a holiday staple...but after that:

HAIRSPRAY THE MUSICAL
PAW PATROL LIVE
PRETTY WOMAN THE MUSICAL
SESAME ST LIVE
SIX THE MUSICAL

Amazing.
There is that saying that there's only six original plots, and everything else is just a variation on those...

https://www.bbc.com/culture/article/201 ... asic-plots
Masha

Post by Masha »

txfilmfan wrote: December 3rd, 2023, 11:08 am There is that saying that there's only six original plots, and everything else is just a variation on those...

https://www.bbc.com/culture/article/201 ... asic-plots
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

TikiSoo wrote: December 3rd, 2023, 6:05 am We've all been lamenting on how there's "nothing new" from Hollywood, 90% of movies out there are sequels or rehashes of stories that have already been told.

HAIRSPRAY THE MUSICAL
PAW PATROL LIVE
PRETTY WOMAN THE MUSICAL
SESAME ST LIVE
SIX THE MUSICAL

Amazing.
SIX THE MUSICAL is actually a quite creative telling of the stories of the six wives of King Henry VIII in the style of a modern storytelling pop concert (a la Beyoncé's LIVE AT ROSELAND: ELEMENTS OF 4 concert).
The six queens are members of a pop band competing to be the band's lead singer. At the beginning of the concert, they tell the audience that whoever the audience decides suffered the most during her marriage to Henry will be awarded the honor of being the band's lead singer.
The book, lyrics and music are by Toby Marlow and Lucy Moss.
The musical premiered at the Edinburgh Festival Fringe.

Below is a clip of the West End cast performing the opening song "Ex Wives" at the 2019 Olivier Awards .

Here's the song from the studio cast recording:

I love the lyrics from Anne of Cleves's verse:
Ich bin Anna of Cleves. (Ja?)
When he saw my portrait, he was like (Ja!)
But I didn’t look as good as I did in my pic
Funny how we all discuss that, but never Henry’s little pr-
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

HAIRSPRAY THE MUSICAL
PAW PATROL LIVE
PRETTY WOMAN THE MUSICAL
SESAME ST LIVE
SIX THE MUSICAL

Amazing.

At first I thought you were joking about those titles........

Oh my God!
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Dargo wrote: December 1st, 2023, 4:31 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: December 1st, 2023, 3:57 pm
He played the straight-arrow and boring small town young man whose marriage proposal to Olivia is rejected by her, and so then on the rebound marries the straight-arrow and boring character that actress Mary Anderson plays in it. After the unmarried Olivia leaves town and gives birth in NYC (I think it is) to the child that was fathered by the dashing young aerial barnstormer played by John Lund and who is killed in WWI, Phillip and Mary's characters end up with the baby and raising it after a plan reminiscent of how Loretta Young's real life little plan to pawn off her kid fathered by Clark Gable as being adopted, goes awry for poor Olivia.

(...hey, told ya this was one of my favorite tearjerkers, now didn't I?! ;) ...have always thought my being adopted contributed to this...although in MY case, I never thought my mom and dad were ever "straight-laced" or "boring")

Livvy is one of my favorite actresses but to be honest I barely remember the movie! Shame on me because de Havilland won her first Oscar in this part! So I definitely need to revisit. The only moment I recall is when she pours herself that glass of milk.....

You have very special memories of this film so when next I see it and for any reason don't care for the thing, I will be gentle.

Have you seen ALL MINE TO GIVE? Talk about tearjerkers. Max Steiner's music contributes mightily to the emotional intensity.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Bronxie:

My favorite line from To Each His Own, said by the nurse when Livvy says she can't stay in Pearson Falls:

"The more I learn about small towns, the more I like about the Bronx!"

Regarding All Mine to Give, they should it to us in grade school in the Bronx. All the kids went home crying, I guess the school thought, well it's about pioneers, and kids...