Bad Movies You Love

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Rita Hayworth

Re: Bad Movies You Love

Post by Rita Hayworth »

The Green Slime

The Trailer - 1968 Sci-Fi Movie
[youtube][/youtube]

This is one of many bad movies made back in the late 1960's that I remember as a kid. Its Stars Robert Horton, Luciana Paluzzi, and Richard Jaeckel. It's has great special effects, music not too bad either, and spacey thrills too. I find it hard to believe that Luciana (a former 007 Bond Girl, in Thunderball) did this movie.

It was on TCM.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Put on your best cashmere sweater twin set, make sure your peter pan collars are starched, find your best string of pearls, pin that silver circle pin on your creamy, soft shoulder, and let the stars in your eyes twinkle, friends. Hopefully, this will put you in the right mood for this weekend's most irresistible movie--

This is a friendly reminder to set the DVR or the VCR for tomorrow on TCM, when they are rolling out the red carpet for Miss Joan Crawford and company at 5:30 PM (ET) with the unforgettable The Best of Everything (1959-Jean Negulesco). (This means you, kingrat--even if you have to record over something important on that VHS tape of "Mother Carey's Chickens"! You know I'm only kidding--right??) Where to begin?

The plot is the ol' chestnut about three girls in the adventure of their young, college-trained lives (If you have seen any 20th Century Fox movies between 1936's Ladies in Love and 1954's Three Coins in the Fountain you know the story's outlines Fox believed in recycling long before Earth Day). Radiating youth and white-gloved beauty and repression, Hope Lange, Diane Baker and Suzy Parker are the three whose lives move forward in unexpected ways as they encounter obstacles in the office (Brian Aherne's "handy-andy" senior editor, Joan Crawford's snippiness) and on the mean streets of Manhattan (Brett Halsey's creepiness, Robert Evans' sliminess, Louis Jourdan's silken callousness, and Stephen Boyd as a likable drunk). Martha Hyer is also around as an example of a woman who has made the cut in the corporate jungle without losing all shred of self-respect and that all important commodity in the movies--her femininity.

Based on the proto-feminist novel by Rona Jaffe that tapped into the zeitgeist of the late '50s, profiling the glossy world of publishing corporations, (it was based on Jaffe's stint at Fawcett Publications, which I never heard was very prestigious), the ethical compromises needed to survive, and the cut throat competition that sometimes culled the yearly herd of young, shining young women who nested in the glass towers for a time, often as a prelude to real life. The movie exploited what the book's editor Robert Gottlieb called "a fresh young-career-women-in-New York quality with a fillip of shock" taking place in the pink ghetto of office life. With location shooting in the glass and concrete canyons of Manhattan where the girls all toil away as stenographers and secretaries while dreaming of becoming an editor, famous, beloved, and/or eventually a wife. The novel and film repulsed most reviewers--whose sense of fun and vicarious riskiness must be drained from them before they ascend to their lofty positions. The life of the working girl may not be one that most of us would emulate, but if you've ever worked in an office, you might enjoy this dramatized dose of nostalgia for the days when coffee break chatter might have been about who's in danger of losing her reputation next, which girl will wind up in a straitjacket, and how one of the neophytes will learn to say "no".

Enjoy and don't miss Suzy Parker's finest moments on film in a dank alley and on the fire escape!!
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Moirafinnie:

Thank you for your marvelous tongue in cheek review of The Best of Everything, which is one of my guilty pleasures. By the way, most of the photos on the Japanese poster are phony, except perhaps the one of the lady fixing her stocking. This movie actually reminds me of a Douglas Sirk potboiler and the last time I saw it, I looked especially to see if he had directed it because it's filled with his smarmy kind of plot activity. However, like Sirks movies, this is one of those ones that rope you in and hold you captive until the end, mainly to see if people can really be so vapid and dippy. But, like Mad Men, it is intriguing to watch and be reminded of that time period of make up, clothing, and puritanical considerations. This is one movie I like Stephen Boyd in. I guess because he is one beacon of sense. I also liked Martha Hyer, but she was a favorite of mine anyway. I never saw this one during it's original release, but later when it came on one of the pay per view channels when make up and hair had finally been relaxed a bit. I recall when I saw Joan Crawford the first time thinking she had a uni-brow, and half of it was pencil drawn on. I know I sound like I'm making terrible fun of the film, but I really do like it, and watch it whenever it comes on any channel. You should hear me on Sunday morning while I'm watching the catchup re-runs of Mad Men. I guess it's just a matter of comparing the reel and the real world of office life since both MM and this movie were smack dab in the middle of my 'working girl' career.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Gosh, I just loved The Best of Everything! I had to run here to the computer to dish about it.

SPOILERS

I swear, Hope Lange has NEVER looked better. I thought she was superb here, and she's an actress I usually like a lot anyway, but she really shone. The triple threat of Hope, Diane Baker and Suzy Parker, all leading ladies who could act, really makes this movie worth watching. Negulesco was on top of his game, especially in the scenes with Suzy toward the end. Suzy was no slouch herself, it's so hard to watch her make the descent into madness,because you KNOW where it's all going to end up.

I really enjoyed Stephen Boyd and Lange together, they had a natural rapport. I can't get over how sexy Hope was with him.

Louis Jourdan gave a little extra to his usual role of roue without remorse. I actually felt terrible for him at the end, despite his love em and leave em philosophy. If I'd had my way, Lange would have slapped Diane Baker's "fiance" who caused her miscarriage several more times.

This movie was a hoot, and even more than that, it was actually very entertaining. I even liked Brian Aherne in this one. :D
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

When Hope Lange played the wife in THE NEW DICK VAN DYKE SHOW, I was disappointed that her role was so meaningless. I wanted them to give it the depth and spark of Mary Tyler's Moore's Laura. I'm quite sure Ms. Lange was up to the task! What's the melodrama she did when she was so young? Is it PEYTON PLACE? I like her too.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

She was excellent in Peyton Place.

I remember that second Dick Van Dyke show just barely, I liked it but I think most people didn't, because next thing I knew it was gone. I also liked the third Newhart show, Bob, with Cynthia Stevenson. I think I was the only one. :D
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I had to come back to make a few comments after watching the whole movie again. I imagine a lot of Martha Hyer's part ended up on the cutting room floor. I don't understand why she had such a small part. But that is a mark of a memorable actress I guess, with her beauty, and self assurance, she stood out in those 2 or 3 scenes she was in. Of course the same goes for Ms. Crawford, even with the two furry caterpillars above her eyes. I guess the saving grace for Louis Jourdan is GiGi, because I think I would hate him otherwise. Just kidding, at least I hope he's acting. His role in Can-Can was similar in temperament, so I imagine the sly, slinky fox is a good acting job.

I feel so old when I admit I remember when the thick, 4 or 5 hundred page paper backs cost less than fifty cents. One thing the script girl (or whoever it is who makes sure things are in the right place), messed up on was Hope Lange typing with her little finger curled up like holding a tea cup. I thought I saw that, then next time she sat down to type, I looked and almost fell off the couch laughing. The little finger is just as important as any other finger, especially since it controls the letter 'a' . Another comparison I have to make with Mad Men is since the styles are so similar, I would truly like some answers from the guys on the roster here. Which do you like better, or find more sexy in the office?

* Normal high heels like on Mad Men or the 5 inch spikes women can barely walk in today?
* Panty hose or nylons with seams up the back, or today's bare leg?
* Skirt hems around the knee to make you wonder whats underneath, or micro mini skirt?
* Pretty blouses that are definitely female, or tank tops?
* Manicured hands with either clear, pink or peach polish, or manicured hands with black, dark blue or purple polish?

Hair and makeup are so ever changing that those are not fair tests. But I am curious what the feelings of typical men is today.

Anyway, as I said earlier, The Best of Everything, is a personal guilty pleasure even with its' half century old attitudes and ideas even as most of the Douglas Sirk movies are. Toss them all in a paper bag and pull them out one by one, and you can't really tell them apart once you dust off the clingy sugar.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

1. Men don't notice shoes. But I'd just as soon the lady not be as tall as me. Does that put me in the "old style" camp?
2. Definitely bare skin. Stockings are sexy only if I get to see a garter!
3. I'll take the longer skirt. The fantasy is almost always better than the real thing.
4. Blouse or tank top? Please! Are bikers sexy?
5. Nails? Again, men don't give a****! They're fingers!
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

If I haven't accidentally erased my recording of "THE BEST OF EVERYTHING" I'd like to come back and weigh in on it. :)
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

CineMaven wrote:If I haven't accidentally erased my recording of "THE BEST OF EVERYTHING" I'd like to come back and weigh in on it. :)
Oh, that would be swell, Cine. I've enjoyed the comments of others very much so far. I have to watch it again too since I haven't seen it in years, though it remains pretty vivid in memory (sorry, I don't have a DVR recorder or I would make you a copy).
JackFavell wrote:I swear, Hope Lange has NEVER looked better. I thought she was superb here, and she's an actress I usually like a lot anyway, but she really shone.
I do remember thinking that Hope Lange looked like an American Botticelli in this film, blending delicacy with unexpected strength, as she did opposite Montgomery Clift in The Young Lions.
JackFavell wrote:I really enjoyed Stephen Boyd and Lange together, they had a natural rapport. I can't get over how sexy Hope was with him.
I wonder what happened to Stephen Boyd. Up until Ben Hur he was an interesting actor. Afterward, not so much. Can't wait to see Joan C. and Brian A. as colleagues again--and the gorgeous shots of NYC with its best face on are also memorable.

JF--do you dislike Brian Aherne usually?? :shock:
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oh, now I have to make that confession? (guilty look) - just to have you prove to me how wrong I am! :D

For years I thought Brian Aherne was just blandness itself. Then I read his book on George Sanders, and I thought perhaps there was some wit to him, but he still struck me as the type of jocular fellow with little personality one invites to a party because he will blend, not shine. A blowhard. His foibles and faults seem to be at the surface when he writes, as they are with most famous personalities who end up writing. He always seemed slick to me, and at the same time boring, without knowing it about himself.

I think he is one of those actors (Victor Mature is another, though they are very different types) who tried very hard NOT to look like they were trying. They pretended to just have fun making pictures, but I suspect that they both cared very much about their careers, images and acting itself.....which makes it easy to overlook them when push comes to shove. I admire Mature for it, I don't know why it grates on me when Aherne does the same thing.

Now I don't necessarily think this is a bad thing, but I get a somewhat creepy vibe from some of his characters. How can I put it - I detect a singular lack of empathy, a kind of Asberger's syndrome feeling that underlying everything, he is consumed with himself. A self absorbed side. I always found that off-putting and maybe a little frightening, deep down. This is probably more to do with me (speaking of self-absorbed!) and I realize that this was the style when he was coming up in the ranks, like Errol Flynn, or others of that 1935ish time period. With Aherne it really disconcerted me.

Then, when we all watched Juarez recently, I thought he was quite good, in fact, one of the best in the picture, and I began to take more notice. I also caught that one with Merle Oberon, what is the name of it, is it Beloved Enemy? and liked him again. And I noticed him this last time in Sylvia Scarlett, where usually he is the last one I am interested in. I positively love him in Captain Fury, but again, I pay attention to Vic MacLaglen more.

So all in all, I guess I do like him. He's not a favorite or anything, but he certainly played the part in The Best of Everything with gusto and a sense of humor, and just enough smarm to be unsettling.
feaito

Post by feaito »

I had not noticed this thread and the amusing exchanges.

I bought the DVD of "The Best of Everything" (1959) because when it was released I happened to read an extensive and very interesting article of the film, on an American magazine.

So far, I have watched it twice and both my wife and my sister enjoyed looking at the women's clothes because they love the fashions of that time.

The film undoubtedly has a "kitschy" quality and definitely could be labeled as a "guilty pleasure", and the casting is very good.

As the older workers, the lecherous character played by Brian Aherne and the bitter woman played by Joan Crawford are interesting; it's interesting as well that -when they were much younger- in 1935 they starred opposite each other in "I Live My Life". So I compared stills of the two of them together from both films.

Suzy Parker is one of the most attractive, classy and elegant women of that Era. I could not take my eyes off her. I agree that Hope Lange looks wonderful in this film and she gives a noteworthy performance; her rapport with Stephen Boyd is great. The character played by Diane Baker (I loved her sexy, kittenish character in "Marnie" 1964) did not appeal very much to me. Louis Jourdan is also good.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Poor Diane Baker (one of my favorite sixties actresses) got saddled with the bum role, for sure. I thought she did a great job with it, considering. I wish she had had one chance in the movie to get all dolled up with a different hairstyle and a sexy dress.

I just loved this dress (and this scene) of Hope's:

MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Wouldn't you know her name would have to be "April" and she was the dumbest one in the movie? :lol:
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Ha!

I thought she was sweet! And with that hideous boyfriend of hers, no girl would have had a chance! I am mentally slapping him again.