I Just Watched...

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Dargo

Re: I Just Watched...

Post by Dargo »

Allhallowsday wrote: December 4th, 2023, 10:45 pm ^ I saw a speck of that today... so little no BARRYMORE. Perhaps that was best. I saw ISH KABIBBLE. :roll:
HEY! Leave poor Ish alone here!

Don't you realize how influential he'd become just a couple of decades later?!

(...I mean, where do ya think those four lads from Liverpool would be today without his influencing their choice in hairstyling?!)
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

Lorna wrote: December 4th, 2023, 11:38 am Image
Every once in awhile Dan Duryea strikes a pose where he reminds me of my beloved Doll David Johanson-

And I too am a big Wallace Ford fan. I'd love to see a fundraiser to give him a cenotaph/memorial.

I just finished reading the book about Thelma Todd and was surprised to read Thelma & Ford were actually pretty close friends. Ford married a girl Thelma knew in their chorine days.
He was short & sturdily built-I always think of him as acrobatic/physical, not unlike Cagney.
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

Dargo wrote: December 4th, 2023, 11:34 pm
Allhallowsday wrote: December 4th, 2023, 10:45 pm ^ I saw a speck of that today... so little no BARRYMORE. Perhaps that was best. I saw ISH KABIBBLE. :roll:
HEY! Leave poor Ish alone here!
Don't you realize how influential he'd become just a couple of decades later?!
(...I mean, where do ya think those four lads from Liverpool would be today without his influencing their choice in hairstyling?!)
Frankly, I think his look had more influence on JERRY LEWIS. :D
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

PRINCE OF FOXES (1949) Probably my favorite for anyone of the 3 principals.
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

kingrat wrote: December 5th, 2023, 11:48 am Image

What a gorgeously composed shot. I keep finding wonderful details, like the angle of Duryea's face, the hard porcelain look of the blonde's face, the hand on her back, the shot glass AND another glass, the winged idol thing on top of the piano, and on and on.

what winged idol thing?

I do now notice the funnel with the word "KITTY" on it, presumably for TIPS, so thank you for drawing my attention to that!

edit: now that I squint, I see THERE IS A STUFFED BLACK CAT with it's back ARCHED AND TAIL UP NEXT TO IT, maybe you mistake that for winged idol?

also, it seemed to me like DURYEA was doing HIS OWN PIANO PLAYING.
Masha

Post by Masha »

Lorna wrote: December 5th, 2023, 1:35 pm
edit: now that I squint, I see THERE IS A STUFFED BLACK CAT with it's back ARCHED AND TAIL UP NEXT TO IT, maybe you mistake that for winged idol?
Photoanalysis using gradient contrast enhancement of the delineated area reveals that it is a flying monkey. There have long been rumors of many of them seeking work in prop departments of several studios after plans for a second OZ movie fell through and they did not wish to return to their jungle homes after tasting the high life of Hollywood.
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
laffite

Post by laffite »

kingrat wrote: December 5th, 2023, 3:43 pm Yes, Duryea seemed to be doing his own piano playing. The camera setups show his hands instead of avoiding showing them.
But didn't they know how to fake that? Transposing one set of hands for those of a professional, cinematographically? I'm sure that Paul Henried did not really play the cello in Deception ? I think not (right?) but it sure looked real. Or Garfield in Humoresque ? I don't know Dan's biography, maybe he studied piano. How would he have had time for that, I wonder. Did Hollywood exploit his talent and have him in other movies? Just musing. He did what looks like a trained pianist would look like. But, as usual, I could be wrong. Hey ( - ; If he could only learn to dance, I can see him doing Yankee Doodle Dandy
. Maybe :smiley_chinrub:
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Last night I watched FOUR WEDDINGS AND A FUNERAL. I love ANDY McDOWELL... still funny, there is a lot going on.
Damn it is predictable with a "stiff in a skirt..." Mixed bag for political correctness...

What can one say about Ish Kabibble? Hopefully not much, lol. "Hey, Mr. Barrymore, what did the mama rifle say to the daddy rifle?" John: "I do not have any idea, young man. Just what did the mama rifle say to the daddy rifle?" Ish: "We're having a BB!"

My favorite character in 4 WEDDINGS AND A FUNERAL is Kristin Scott-Thomas as Fiona. "How is Duckface?" The genius and popularity of this movie is that I really think it was made for American Anglophiles who embraced the political correctness of the period (Charles: "We just didn't think a stag party was appropriate in this day and age") deliciously combined with that very British quirky irreverence.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Re: Wallace Ford, I've always been a fan. A very fine actor but I must frankly admit (as I have previously) he had the most unattractive armpits.

Saw him recently with Shelley Winters (and John Garfield, his last film I believe) who plays his daughter in HE RAN ALL THE WAY. Fourteen years later Wallace and Shelly would be reunited as father and daughter, albeit most dysfunctionally, in A PATCH OF BLUE.
laffite

Post by laffite »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: December 5th, 2023, 7:08 pm Re: Wallace Ford, I've always been a fan. A very fine actor but I must frankly admit (as I have previously) he had the most unattractive armpits.

Saw him recently with Shelley Winters (and John Garfield, his last film I believe) who plays his daughter in HE RAN ALL THE WAY. Fourteen years later Wallace and Shelly would be reunited as father and daughter, albeit most dysfunctionally, in A PATCH OF BLUE.
No sleeveless T-shirts for him, then. :smiley_hearteyes:
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

Masha wrote: December 5th, 2023, 4:13 pm
Lorna wrote: December 5th, 2023, 1:35 pm
Photoanalysis using gradient contrast enhancement of the delineated area reveals that it is a flying monkey. There have long been rumors of many of them seeking work in prop departments of several studios after plans for a second OZ movie fell through and they did not wish to return to their jungle homes after tasting the high life of Hollywood.
SEE?!

That’s the kinda guy WALLACE FORD was, just looking out for his fellow OZ cast mates!!!

(See: earlier lollipop guild reference)
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

WALLY also tried to get a job for THIS GUY as the desk clerk who discovers the dead woman with JUNE VINCENT’s husband, but something about his line read undercut the drama of the moment.

Lorna

Post by Lorna »

Have any of you ever had a "MOVIE BUDDY"/"FILM FRIEND"/and/or someone with whom you shared similar media-related tastes 99.99999999999% of the time [even about things that were super obscure or esoteric or could maybe possibly qualify as "nitpicking"]???

They hate the films you hate, they love the films you love, they're middling on the same films you're middling on.

and then something happens and there is a schism in the universe.

sometimes things die a quiet death, like my friendship with SUSAN W. ca. 1997 when she LOVED the movie FARGO and JESUS CHRIST FORGIVE ME, I COULDN'T MOVE ON FROM IT.

sometimes things are explosive, like back on the messageboards for a certain cable network where I one day casually mentioned off-hand that I thought THE EXORCIST was, quite frankly, goofy as Hell and thusly incurred the IRE of a poster I had heretofore gotten on with really well.

WITH THAT SAID....

A POSTER HERE with whom I AM USUALLY SUPER SIMPATICO was telling me how much they HAAAAAATED "EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE ALL AT ONCE" (2022)

And then- whilst recovering from illness, I saw it was on AMAZON PRIME and I decided to TORTURE MYSELF (I rarely watch MODERN MOVIES...)

And I sat back and was all set to LOATHE IT.

Only, I didn't.

I adored it.

Not only that, I'm 100% on board with JAMIE LEE'S SUPPORTING OSCAR.

COME FOR ME.

I was enchanted and bemused...there was one part near the end where MY TELEVISION CRASHED and RETURNED TO THE MAIN MENU and I SWEAR TO YOU GUYS, I TOTALLY THOUGHT THE MOVIE SOMEHOW KNEW WHAT MY HOMEPAGE LOOKED LIKE and then I glanced at THE TIME on the upper right of the screen and was like "HOW DID THEY KNOW WHAT TIME IT IS TOO???"

THIS MOVIE WILL MESS WITH YOUR HEAD- although it's not doing anything altogether superduper new- but it is doing it in a fun way.

It's a wild movie and a well-acted movie, and a rare 21st century film that I unequivocally came away from uplifted and with hope- and not just hope in general- but hope for THE MEDIUM OF STORYTELLING- which is a RARE thing in modern movies.