MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Swithin

Re: MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Post by Swithin »

Dargo wrote: December 10th, 2023, 2:48 pm So Bronxie, remember the following conversation we had last week?...
Bronxgirl48 wrote: December 3rd, 2023, 5:54 pm
Have you seen ALL MINE TO GIVE? Talk about tearjerkers. Max Steiner's music contributes mightily to the emotional intensity.
Dargo wrote: December 4th, 2023, 12:37 am Actually, I haven't. However, after just now reading through its Wiki synopsis, it sounds as if this one is quite the tearjerker as well. However, I must warn you that tearjerkers that are based upon the premise of a beloved one dying, I've never found nearly as emotionally involving as films in which the protagonist ultimately comes to make the more noble decision which might run counter to their own interests, and with the death of someone or anyone within the story not necessarily being a must.
Well, it looks as if I'll have to amend my response to you here a bit.

Ya see, Gary Cooper and Teresa Wright got me a little teary-eyed while I watched the Lou Gehrig biopic 'The Pride of the Yankees' on TCM today. And sure, while I have watched this film a number of times in the past but not for a great while, THIS time I noticed and for some reason...

(...okay okay, I admit it...I got more than a little teary-eyed...I was ballin' my eyes out by the end of it) ;)
I'm going to drop names now, although I was once criticized for doing that: I worked with Teresa Wright once, lovely, caring woman. And I know Gary Cooper's daughter. Good people. I'm glad you were moved.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Swithin wrote: December 10th, 2023, 3:14 pm
Dargo wrote: December 10th, 2023, 2:48 pm So Bronxie, remember the following conversation we had last week?...
Have you seen ALL MINE TO GIVE? Talk about tearjerkers. Max Steiner's music contributes mightily to the emotional intensity.
Dargo wrote: December 4th, 2023, 12:37 am Actually, I haven't. However, after just now reading through its Wiki synopsis, it sounds as if this one is quite the tearjerker as well. However, I must warn you that tearjerkers that are based upon the premise of a beloved one dying, I've never found nearly as emotionally involving as films in which the protagonist ultimately comes to make the more noble decision which might run counter to their own interests, and with the death of someone or anyone within the story not necessarily being a must.

Ya see, Gary Cooper and Teresa Wright got me a little teary-eyed while I watched the Lou Gehrig biopic 'The Pride of the Yankees' on TCM today. And sure, while I have watched this film a number of times in the past but not for a great while, THIS time I noticed and for some reason...

(...okay okay, I admit it...I got more than a little teary-eyed...I was ballin' my eyes out by the end of it) ;)
I'm going to drop names now, although I was once criticized for doing that: I worked with Teresa Wright once, lovely, caring woman. And I know Gary Cooper's daughter. Good people. I'm glad you were moved.
Nice to know Teresa Wright was as nice in real life as the characters she most often played.

And, also nice to know that Coop's daughter, who as you probably know did the narration for her father's tribute short filler film that TCM runs occasionally, is as nice as she comes across within said tribute short.

(...and btw...feel free to go ahead and drop names anytime ya what around here...I appreciate it, anyway!)
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

kingrat wrote: December 10th, 2023, 4:51 pm

[/quote]

Dargo, I'm pretty sure you meant "bawlin' your eyes out"--though if it was the other word, more power to you!
[/quote]

jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Anyone that doesn't cry after seeing the ending of Pride of the Yankees has no heart.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

I usually go out of my way to avoid PRIDE OF THE YANKEES and today was no exception but I guess eventually I'll give in. Not a fan of sports stories specifically even though I realize it's mainly about one man's courage in the face of a horrible medical report.

Switching gears, may I highly recommend Woody Allen's BANANAS, airing later this evening. I think it's his funniest film. My favorite part: Woody ordering lunch for himself and the revolutionaries as if he (and the Latin counterman) were at a Manhattan deli. I do admit that probably only born and bred New Yawkers would truly appreciate that scene.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Dargo, I'm pretty sure you meant "bawlin' your eyes out"--though if it was the other word, more power to you!

LOL

OOPS! Yep, good catch here, KR. I meant "bawlin'", of course.

(...ya know, when I typed that word with two 'l's, something didn't look or seem quite right about it)
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Dargo wrote: December 10th, 2023, 8:38 pm

LOL

(...ya know, when I typed that word with two 'l's, something didn't look or seem quite right about it)
Brings to mind that famous line from Plan 9 from Outer Space:

"Hey Eddie, how about you and me balling it up in Albuquerque?"
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Swithin wrote: December 10th, 2023, 9:10 pm
Brings to mind that famous line from Plan 9 from Outer Space:

"Hey Eddie, how about you and me balling it up in Albuquerque?"
You mean where Bugs keeps making those wrong turns???

Ah yes! I remember Albuquerque myself, in fact!

And so to now use a quote once made by a certain rotund red-nosed comedian about another city (a city which, coincidentally, I'm presently watching their NFL football team being beaten by those damn Dallas Cowboys)..."I spent a week there one night!"
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Dargo wrote: December 10th, 2023, 8:38 pm

LOL

This reminds me of that Dolly Parton classic "It's All Wrong, But It's All Right."

HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: December 7th, 2023, 4:23 pm
Buffalo natives actually sound like Chicago locals! (I lived in The Windy City for ten years)

Bronxgirl, you've commented fondly about your time in Chicago.

We were in downtown Chicago this Saturday and took this photo of Cloud Gate (aka the Bean) in Millennium Park.
I thought you might appreciate it.

This was my first time seeing it at night.
It has the effect of looking like downtown Chicago in a snow globe or something like the Bottle City of Kandor from the Superman comics.

Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Oh thank you so much, Holden!

Beautiful! So cool! I love Millennium Park. Among it and other things, I also miss Chicago deep dish pizza. You wouldn't think a New Yorker could make such a statement but it's true! (don't get me wrong I still adore thin and cracker crust)

I'm very frustrated because I have not been able to get sound or a decent screen on my YouTube. Can you or anyone offer advice? Internet troubleshooting is not helping for some reason, maybe because I'm so appallingly low-tech. I want to be able to hear the Chicago anthem Lake Shore Drive by Aliota Hayes Jeremiah again on YT but cannot. I love that song! Always make me tear up.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Swithin wrote: December 10th, 2023, 3:14 pm

Yes, I read a bio about her some years after her death. Sadly, no tribute to her on TCM after she died, despite being an Oscar winner!
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

I love Teresa Wright. I think my favorite performance of hers is an atypical one -- the New England wife and mother in THE ACTRESS.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: December 11th, 2023, 4:00 pm Oh thank you so much, Holden!

Beautiful! So cool! I love Millennium Park. Among it and other things, I also miss Chicago deep dish pizza. You wouldn't think a New Yorker could make such a statement but it's true! (don't get me wrong I still adore thin and cracker crust)

I'm very frustrated because I have not been able to get sound or a decent screen on my YouTube. Can you or anyone offer advice? Internet troubleshooting is not helping for some reason, maybe because I'm so appallingly low-tech. I want to be able to hear the Chicago anthem Lake Shore Drive by Aliota Hayes Jeremiah again on YT but cannot. I love that song! Always make me tear up.
Well Bronxie, first, I wish I could help you with your computer issues here, but I'm afraid I know about this kind'a stuff just about as much as you do.

Secondly here, and after just now YouTube-ing that tribute song to The Windy City here (had never heard it nor even of it before) it's now prompted me to relay to you the opening stanza's lyrics (and seein' as how posting the YouTube video of it for you would at the moment be a wasted effort) of MY favorite song about a city and one which never fails to make me just little homesick for my old stompin' grounds...

Hate New York City
It's cold and it's damp
And all the people dress like
Monkeys

Let's leave Chicago
To the Eskimos
That towns a little bit too rugged
For you and me
Babe

(...this old Angeleno here hoping you can figure out your YouTube issues very soon and then once you have, be able to enjoy this REAL rockin' tune about a city, written by Randy Newman) ;)