Re: Ben Johnson

Post by CineMaven »

Thanks kiddo. :-)
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I wouldn't mind seeing a Rio Grande shot up on your banner, Paula, if you can fit one.
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Actually, JackFavell -- you're crawling around my head again, aren't you. :-) I haven't screencapped Rio Grande yet, as you know, but I decided it would be fun to do a banner with pics from the four non-Wagon Master John Ford films Ben did (not counting Mighty Joe Young, which Ford produced). So I was already planning to put Rio Grande into the computer and do a few screencaps and use one for the banner. This will take a few days for me to get around to doing, but do it I will. ;)
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

CineMaven wrote:Paula, please give me your website's address. Thank you.
Paula, why don't you put your website address as your 'signature' when posting? I have bookmarked it several times, but then I've got so many bookmarks, it takes forever to find it :roll: :roll: :oops: :oops: :roll: :roll:

just a suggestion.....
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Nice avatar, Nan! :shock: :D
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Was still feeling the Bite the Bullet love so today's post is two newspaper articles which mention the movie. ;)

pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Changed the banner photos. From left to right, Cheyenne Autumn, She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, Rio Grande and 3 Godfathers. http://benjohnsonscreecaps.shutterfly.com

For today's and tomorrow's posts, I have publicity stills from Rio Grande. Today's picture is one you've seen before, as a scan from a magazine (scan by John Wayne fan "Lasbugas"). This new scan is from a vintage publicity photo which has seen some wear and tear. It's got a little tear at the top of the page plus a LOT of pinholes! ;)

Here's the scan from the magazine again. You can see they cropped it a lot.

knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Paula, what is the name of the actor fighting Claude Jarman? I can't think of any other movies I've seen him in, and he looks to be a very interesting 'character'.
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

HORSE SOLDIERS SPOILER -- y'all are warned!

Knitwit, that's stuntman and bit player Fred Kennedy, a much beloved member of the Ford Stock Company. I love his snappy responses to Victor McLaglen... "Yes I did!" LOL

Fred was one of Ford's favorite stuntmen. Very sadly, he was killed performing what should have been a simple saddle fall during the filming of The Horse Soldiers. Ford was so distraught over this that he shut down the movie's location shoot in Louisiana and completed it in California, although his heart was no longer in it, which accounts for the film's rather perfunctory ending.

Here's a nice little bio of Fred, with some pictures: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cg ... d=15199459

The Horse Soldiers is the movie that made me a John Wayne fan, specifically the scene with Constance Towers after Althea Gibson is killed. His performance in that scene was so sensitive, tender and full of genuine regret that I was completely bowled over and realized I now had to do a serious reconsideration of John Wayne. After rewatching The Searchers and She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, it really hit me what I'd been missing with Wayne, and I've been a hardcore fan ever since. :)

(I saw Constance Towers on Broadway eons ago, in a revival of The King and I.) ;)
Attachments
chuckhayward_fredkennedy.jpg
chuckhayward_fredkennedy.jpg (24.77 KiB) Viewed 3133 times
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

The Horse Soldiers is one of my favorite John Wayne movies, too. Love his character.

Fred Kennedy and Frank McGrath are two figures I try to spot in the several Ford movies they appeared. When we went to the Wagon Master screening, I finally was able to pick Frank out on the big screen and I nudged Wendy at that moment. :)

Paula do you mind if I use that photo of Fred teaching Claude some pointers on my site page for Kennedy? Finding pix of him that aren't scene stills is tough.

P.S. I bet Connie made a terrific "Anna"! I really like her. For a really different sort of Constance Towers, see her in Sammy Fuller's The Naked Kiss.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

MissGoddess wrote:The Horse Soldiers is one of my favorite John Wayne movies, too. Love his character.

Fred Kennedy and Frank McGrath are two figures I try to spot in the several Ford movies they appeared. When we went to the Wagon Master screening, I finally was able to pick Frank out on the big screen and I nudged Wendy at that moment. :)

Paula do you mind if I use that photo of Fred teaching Claude some pointers on my site page for Kennedy? Finding pix of him that aren't scene stills is tough.

P.S. I bet Connie made a terrific "Anna"! I really like her. For a really different sort of Constance Towers, see her in Sammy Fuller's The Naked Kiss.

P.P.S. Paula, the link to your page that you posted didn't work for me, though I was able to get to your site via my bookmark. And I love the banner!
-- Will Rogers
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

I probably misspelled the link. Not the first time. http://benjohnsonscreencaps.shutterfly.com

MissGoddess, fine with me re the photo but I, er, borrowed it myself from the Western Clippings website. Here's the link to the page with the photo -- scroll down to find it.

http://www.westernclippings.com/stuntme ... tmen.shtml

Ben said in an interview that he doubled for William Holden in The Horse Soldiers and after I read that interview I watched all the scenes of Holden on a horse, but couldn't find one where it looked like Ben doubling for him. Certainly he's not listed in the IMDB credits as one of the stuntmen. I suppose it's POSSIBLE he did something on that film but I really wonder.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Thanks, Paula. I will really start looking for him!
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Thanks, Paula. I love Western Clippings, that site is a treasure trove of info on western film.

About Holden being doubled by Ben...maybe there were some shots that weren't used, or planned and not shot. I wonder if Ben was around to witness the Kennedy accident. That would have been rough. Those things happen despite all the care and professionalism in the world, and it's never pleasant.

In one account of the scene where Kennedy did the ill-fated saddle fall, Ford as a joke told Constance Towers to run up afterward and kiss Fred on the mouth, but when she lifted his head she realized he'd broken his neck for real.
-- Will Rogers