MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Dargo

Re: MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Post by Dargo »

LiamCasey wrote: January 26th, 2024, 7:19 pm
Dargo wrote: January 25th, 2024, 7:01 pm
LiamCasey wrote: January 25th, 2024, 5:58 pm

Cal Worthington and his dog Spot! Haven't thought of those commercials in years!
Ah, so then LC, do you remember who Cal was satirizing with those commercials of his?

I do. It was the commercials for another large car SoCal dealership (Brand Motors Ford City, and then later to become Ralph Williams Ford) that was a rival of Cal's, and with those commercials featuring their pitchman Chick Lambert...and his dog "Storm".

(...a German Shepherd)
Don't recall that one. But I only lived in California from 1984 to 1992 so maybe he was before then.
Yep, the heyday of Chick's shtick was about 15-20 years before you arrived there.
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

Dargo wrote: January 26th, 2024, 11:27 pm
LiamCasey wrote: January 26th, 2024, 7:19 pm
Dargo wrote: January 25th, 2024, 7:01 pm

Ah, so then LC, do you remember who Cal was satirizing with those commercials of his?

I do. It was the commercials for another large car SoCal dealership (Brand Motors Ford City, and then later to become Ralph Williams Ford) that was a rival of Cal's, and with those commercials featuring their pitchman Chick Lambert...and his dog "Storm".

(...a German Shepherd)
Don't recall that one. But I only lived in California from 1984 to 1992 so maybe he was before then.
Yep, the heyday of Chick's shtick was about 15-20 years before you arrived there.
For some reason, this "commercial" never made it to air...

Dargo

Post by Dargo »

txfilmfan wrote: January 27th, 2024, 11:38 am
For some reason, this "commercial" never made it to air...

LOL

Good find, Tex! I remember watching this on YouTube years ago but had forgotten about it.

And yeah, I'll bet it was actually shot to be shown during a company party or something along those likes.

(...and kind'a like those old Warner Brothers blooper reels were back in the day, but that would eventually find their way onto YouTube as well)
BagelOnAPlate

Post by BagelOnAPlate »

Something I've been pondering this week . ..

WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO JON VOIGHT???

The once great actor has gone off the rails!

A video he made in 2020 comparing Trump to Jesus (yes, that Jesus!) has been resurrected (pun intended).
I didn't see it until now so at first, I thought it was meant to be a comedy sketch.
But apparently Jon Voight is completely serious!

I will hold on to Jon Voight's performances in Midnight Cowboy, Conrack and Coming Home rather than the role of cuckoo that he's now playing in his real life.
laffite

Post by laffite »

Jon Voight has always been like that. He is right-wing nutjob and has had that affliction forever. He is a sick man.
The Saga of Gosta Berling (1924)
Masha

Post by Masha »

An odd musing/pondering/rumination: I heard yesterday three instances of emcees using the term: "fictional superhero". There were in programs of different decades. Two were American and one was English.

I freely acknowledge that there are many non-fictional heroes. The rising tide of atrocities throughout the world means that more and more are found each day.

It is that: 'superhero' connotes to me supernatural powers such as web-slinging, flying or physically transforming into a powerful beast. It seems to me that a person with such abilities in the real world would become a media sensation and use their newfound fame and wealth to support law enforcement throughout the world which would do far more good than their solo effects could achieve. A logical alternative to that is that the first exhibition of their powers would earn them a free ride to the nearest secure government laboratory where they would spend the remainder of their life being probed, scanned and perhaps even dissected.
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
Andree

Post by Andree »

Voight was a liberal back in the 1970s. He moved to the right politically at some point.
He's been pretty far out for a while now. Hey, I'm wingnutting here.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

BagelOnAPlate wrote: February 3rd, 2024, 5:15 pm Something I've been pondering this week . ..

WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO JON VOIGHT???

The once great actor has gone off the rails!

A video he made in 2020 comparing Trump to Jesus (yes, that Jesus!) has been resurrected (pun intended).
I didn't see it until now so at first, I thought it was meant to be a comedy sketch.
But apparently Jon Voight is completely serious!

I will hold on to Jon Voight's performances in Midnight Cowboy, Conrack and Coming Home rather than the role of cuckoo that he's now playing in his real life.
I think that Voight has been a Republican since maybe the 80s or 90s.... That said, while I am a political agnostic (no candidate anymore seems to be worth voting for, and frankly I loathe the division that has rocked society since the early 1990s), I am a Catholic, so I feel safe to say that Trump should definitely not be mentioned in the same sentence as Jesus. Jesus is mercy and humble (in fact the Divine Mercy prayer is a wonderful thing), whereas Trump is simply proud and often angry.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

CinemaInternational wrote: February 5th, 2024, 5:54 pm I am a Catholic, so I feel safe to say that Trump should definitely not be mentioned in the same sentence as Jesus. Jesus is mercy and humble (in fact the Divine Mercy prayer is a wonderful thing), whereas Trump is simply proud and often angry.
I'm not a Catholic but for what it's worth I have a Theology degree from a Jesuit University. It is jarring to have seen a voter at the Iowa Caucus who said that Trump is a holy vessel and that God works in mysterious ways.

I think there may be two kinds of Jesus that people perceive, based on their religious bent. I think one type is well described in an article I once read about the works of Flannery O'Connor. I've posted this before. Here's the quote. I think many of Trump's Christian supporters lean toward the Jesus mentioned in this quote:

"O'Connor's short stories and novels are set in a rural South where people know their places, mind their manners and do horrible things to one another. It's a place that somehow hovers outside of time, where both the New Deal and the New Testament feel like recent history. It's soaked in violence and humor, in sin and in God. He may have fled the modern world, but in O'Connor's he sticks around, in the sun hanging over the tree line, in the trees and farm beasts, and in the characters who roost in the memory like gargoyles. It's a land haunted by Christ — not your friendly hug-me Jesus, but a ragged figure who moves from tree to tree in the back of the mind, pursuing the unwilling."
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Hi, guys.

Oy, politics, lol. A pox on both their houses!

More confusion: THE WHOLE TOWN'S TALKING, TALK OF THE TOWN, PEOPLE WILL TALK.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

kingrat wrote: January 25th, 2024, 11:29 am
Bronxgirl48 wrote: January 25th, 2024, 12:26 am
kingrat wrote: January 17th, 2024, 1:10 am My husband and I both enjoyed THE ENEMY BELOW, with Robert Mitchum and Curt Jurgens ideally cast as captains in this deadly chess match between an American destroyer and a German U-Boat. It's a little talky at first, but then it delivers on all the important matters. A solid film, with Dick Powell as director.

Alicia Malone correctly pointed out the importance of the sympathetic portrayal of the German captain. Alicia was wearing an interestingly draped green dress which unfortunately did not fit her well.

I saw just the opening of ANZIO (1968), the next film, which Alicia had mentioned as being anti-war. The opening scene introduces the "Most Americans are pigs" idea in "makes Stanley Kramer look subtle" style.

kingrat, is THE ENEMY BELOW the one where Curt Jurgens delivers an impassioned and conflicted speech in German to his own crew about "the Fatherland"?

(I like Alicia but find her fashion choices....interesting, lol)
That's the one. THE ENEMY BELOW is Robert Mitchum vs. Curt Jurgens. Good film.

When Alicia changed her hair color, she seemed to have lost her way in choosing clothes. She's very pretty and would probably look great in a variety of styles and colors, just not the ones she wears on TV.

Thanks, kingrat re: THE ENEMY BELOW. I will have to watch it again.

Agree about Alicia. Yes, she is so pretty and also charming yet whenever I see her I go "Girl what the heck do you have on??"
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Pondering: Is Rozsa's score for THE VIP'S his worst?
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: February 6th, 2024, 8:02 pm Pondering: Is Rozsa's score for THE VIP'S his worst?
I didn't much care for his score for Bhowani Junction.....
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Getting back to Voight here for a minute (sorry Bronxie), but the thing I've always found interesting when it comes to some people is how they can become despised by their own offspring?! As I understand he and his daughter Angelina Jolie have had a very prickly relationship since her youth.

Okay sure, never having had any kids of my own, I suppose this contributes to my lack of understanding about such a thing, and with the additional thought that I pretty much had a wonderful relationship with my parents who adopted me immediately after my birth.

(...I guess what I'm sayin' here is that it's always appeared to me as if there's always been some sort of personal "defect" in people who are or were unable to instill within their own children at least modicum respect and love towards them as parents, and regardless what wacky political views they might have)
Last edited by Dargo on February 7th, 2024, 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

Dargo wrote: February 7th, 2024, 3:24 pm Getting back to Voight here for a minute (sorry Bronxie), but the thing I've always found interesting when it comes to some people is how they can become despised by their own offspring?! As I understand he and his daughter Andelina Jolie have had a very prickly relationship since her youth.

Okay sure, never having had any kids of my own, I suppose this contributes to my lack of understanding about such a thing, and with the additional thought that I pretty much had a wonderful relationship with my parents who adopted me immediately after my birth.

(...I guess what I'm sayin' here is that it's always appeared to me as if there's always been some sort of personal "defect" in people who are or were unable to instill within their own children at least modicum respect and love towards them as parents, and regardless what wacky political views they might have)
Hard to do when the father leaves the home when you're one year of age...