MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Bronxgirl48

Re: MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Andree wrote: February 23rd, 2024, 6:01 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: February 23rd, 2024, 2:55 pm

As great a filmmaker as Hitch was, there's a lot of "yuck" factor for me in most of his movies -- he just loved showing women in humiliating/dangerous situations. Quite sadistic actually. I could list many examples but don't want to bore you with the sad roll call...

That Madame Konstantin or whatever her name is -- such a deliciously creepy performance as Sebastian's mother. My favorite line of hers to Claude: "For now we are protected by the enormity of your stupidity"

Thanks re: THE PARADINE CASE. I think I'll just be patient and wait for it to pop up on the channel.
I think there was a kink in his hose somewhere along the way. I've never read any of the biographies
of Hitchcock so I don't know what is true and what is rumor or gossip, but it seems there was some
fire behind the smoke. Certainly he is seen differently now than when he was still alive. I do
recall one semi-risque remark he made in his interview with Truffaut about Grace Kelly wearing a
gold lame dress and Hitch saying Thar's hills in them thar gold. Pretty adolescent. Of course in his
chosen genre there are more opportunities to humiliate women in a more serious way than in a comedy.

Gee Mom, thanks a lot. She was more of a Nazi than the men.

I think of The Paradine Case as mid-level Hitch. It has many interesting components but for whatever
reason it doesn't seem to completely hold together. But that's just my opinion.

I read what Hitch said to his camera man during the bedroom "honeymoon" scene from MARNIE. Maybe I can clean it up. "Make sure to get a close-up of Tippi's face when Rod (bleeps)"

Use your imagination.
Andree

Post by Andree »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: February 24th, 2024, 3:04 pm

I read what Hitch said to his camera man during the bedroom "honeymoon" scene from MARNIE. Maybe I can clean it up. "Make sure to get a close-up of Tippi's face when Rod (bleeps)"

Use your imagination.
Starts snoring? Got it. Yeah, that's a little kinky, but I don't think it would get anyone
into the perverted HOF.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Use your imagination.
"Rod", Bronxie??? Don't you mean when "Sean (bleeps)" here? And as in "Connery"?

(...as "Rod" would've theoretically only been "bleeping" Tippi in that other Hitchcock movie about our feathered friends going berserk, right?!)
Last edited by Dargo on February 25th, 2024, 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andree

Post by Andree »

A threesome. No wonder the old boy was so hot and bothered.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: February 22nd, 2024, 6:31 pm
CinemaInternational wrote: February 21st, 2024, 12:32 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: February 20th, 2024, 7:49 pm Yep, CI!

I know I'm asking a lot but would also love to see them air UNDER CAPRICORN and THE PARADINE CASE. Those are two of my favorite (for lack of a better word) "underground" Hitch's, lol.
Paradine should be turning up before long because it is under the same ownership as the ones that just aired but I’m not sure on Capricorn since it has some sort of ownership issue since it lapsed its copyright

Thanks, CI! I wonder if CAPRICORN is on YouTube. (sans commercials)
Just to clear something up about the ownership of the Hitchcock films (Rebecca, Spellbound, Notorious, and The Paradine Case). The rights to all of them are owned by Disney, via their ownership of the television network ABC. ABC bought the majority of the Selznick titles back in the 1960s and have kept hold of them ever since. Other titles under their ownership are Duel in the Sun, Portrait of Jennie, Topaze, A Bill of Divorcement, I'll Be Seeing You, Intermezzo, The Young in Heart, and Since You Went Away.

In addition to those classic era titles, Disney also owns the rights to ABC's two short-lived forays into theatrical films (1967-1972 & 1982-1986), so that would include titles like Smashing Time, The Killing of Sister George, Charley, For Love of Ivy, They Shoot Horses Don't They, What Ever Happened to Aunt Alice, Ring of Bright Water, Take the Money and Run, Lovers and Other Strangers, The Last Valley, The Grissom Gang, Straw Dogs, The Touch, Kotch, Junior Bonner, the Heartbreak Kid, Sleuth, Young Doctors in Love, Silkwood, The Flamingo Kid, and Prizzi's Honor, so maybe some of those newer titles will be forthcoming to TCM soon.

Unrelated, but I cringed for a second last night at what the TCM announcer said on one of the coming soon indents in reference to Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore : "Ellen's Burstyn (Burstin') with pride all over" Uh....
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Dargo wrote: February 24th, 2024, 9:25 pm

Use your imagination.
"Rod", Bronxie??? Don't you mean when "Sean (bleeps)" here? And as in "Connery"?

(...as "Rod" would've theoretically only been "bleeping" Tippi in that other Hitchcock movie about our feathered friends going berserk, right?!)
If you want to see a less glamorous Rod Taylor, check out this trailer for Welcome to Woop Woop at about the 02:15 point.

Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Andree wrote: February 23rd, 2024, 6:01 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: February 23rd, 2024, 2:55 pm

As great a filmmaker as Hitch was, there's a lot of "yuck" factor for me in most of his movies -- he just loved showing women in humiliating/dangerous situations. Quite sadistic actually. I could list many examples but don't want to bore you with the sad roll call...

That Madame Konstantin or whatever her name is -- such a deliciously creepy performance as Sebastian's mother. My favorite line of hers to Claude: "For now we are protected by the enormity of your stupidity"

Thanks re: THE PARADINE CASE. I think I'll just be patient and wait for it to pop up on the channel.
I think there was a kink in his hose somewhere along the way. I've never read any of the biographies
of Hitchcock so I don't know what is true and what is rumor or gossip, but it seems there was some
fire behind the smoke. Certainly he is seen differently now than when he was still alive. I do
recall one semi-risque remark he made in his interview with Truffaut about Grace Kelly wearing a
gold lame dress and Hitch saying Thar's hills in them thar gold. Pretty adolescent. Of course in his
chosen genre there are more opportunities to humiliate women in a more serious way than in a comedy.

Gee Mom, thanks a lot. She was more of a Nazi than the men.

I think of The Paradine Case as mid-level Hitch. It has many interesting components but for whatever
reason it doesn't seem to completely hold together. But that's just my opinion.

Use your imagination.
The original co-writer (I think it was Evan Hunter or maybe John Michael Hayes ?) quit over that scene as he refused to write it. Oddly enough a woman writer (Jay Presson Allen) was hired to finish the screenplay (with the scene).
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Very interesting, Hibi!
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Did anyone watch THE COUNTRY GIRL last night?

Bing's shortened left arm was on full display.
Last edited by Bronxgirl48 on February 26th, 2024, 6:56 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

CinemaInternational wrote: February 25th, 2024, 6:03 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: February 22nd, 2024, 6:31 pm
CinemaInternational wrote: February 21st, 2024, 12:32 pm

Paradine should be turning up before long because it is under the same ownership as the ones that just aired but I’m not sure on Capricorn since it has some sort of ownership issue since it lapsed its copyright

Thanks, CI! I wonder if CAPRICORN is on YouTube. (sans commercials)
Just to clear something up about the ownership of the Hitchcock films (Rebecca, Spellbound, Notorious, and The Paradine Case). The rights to all of them are owned by Disney, via their ownership of the television network ABC. ABC bought the majority of the Selznick titles back in the 1960s and have kept hold of them ever since. Other titles under their ownership are Duel in the Sun, Portrait of Jennie, Topaze, A Bill of Divorcement, I'll Be Seeing You, Intermezzo, The Young in Heart, and Since You Went Away.

In addition to those classic era titles, Disney also owns the rights to ABC's two short-lived forays into theatrical films (1967-1972 & 1982-1986), so that would include titles like Smashing Time, The Killing of Sister George, Charley, For Love of Ivy, They Shoot Horses Don't They, What Ever Happened to Aunt Alice, Ring of Bright Water, Take the Money and Run, Lovers and Other Strangers, The Last Valley, The Grissom Gang, Straw Dogs, The Touch, Kotch, Junior Bonner, the Heartbreak Kid, Sleuth, Young Doctors in Love, Silkwood, The Flamingo Kid, and Prizzi's Honor, so maybe some of those newer titles will be forthcoming to TCM soon.

Unrelated, but I cringed for a second last night at what the TCM announcer said on one of the coming soon indents in reference to Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore : "Ellen's Burstyn (Burstin') with pride all over" Uh....

CI, I feel your pain -- do you know what I heard that announcer say in advance of GREEN DOLPHIN STREET? "Find your porpoise with TCM tonight"

Not even kidding.
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

Musing after last night.... Isn't it a little bit strange that the first big blockbuster aimed at the baby boomer generation (The Graduate) and the last big one (Forrest Gump) feature main characters that are so incredibly passive?

Yes, my mother was watching Forrest Gump on TV last night, and well, quite frankly, it doesn't work. It is supposed to be a fable that covers nearly all the hot button issues of the era, but the only two things credible in the whole thing are Sally Field's warmth and Robin Wright's performance as an emotionally scarred woman scared of hurting those around her. I guess its big hit status was caused by a reflective mood in the country at the time, given that it opened 25 years after the summer of Woodstock.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: February 26th, 2024, 6:55 pm
CinemaInternational wrote: February 25th, 2024, 6:03 pm
CI, I feel your pain -- do you know what I heard that announcer say in advance of GREEN DOLPHIN STREET? "Find your porpoise with TCM tonight"

Not even kidding.
Hmmm, kind'a sounds like they've now got Mankiewicz doin' double duty writing copy for this part of the channel now too.

(...I guess we'll know for sure if and when there's a little shot at Eddie Muller the next time a noir flick is comin' up to be shown, huh!)

LOL
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

I think you got that right, Dargo, lol.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: February 26th, 2024, 6:53 pm Did anyone watch THE COUNTRY GIRL last night?

I recorded it, but haven't watched it yet. Haven't seen it in many years. Bing had one arm shorter than the other?
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

Hibi wrote: February 27th, 2024, 9:45 am
Bronxgirl48 wrote: February 26th, 2024, 6:53 pm Did anyone watch THE COUNTRY GIRL last night?

I recorded it, but haven't watched it yet. Haven't seen it in many years. Bing had one arm shorter than the other?
To misquote a very old ad : Only his tailor knows for sure.

There were threads going around about this in the past..