MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Bronxgirl48

Re: MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

kingrat wrote: February 16th, 2024, 11:27 am
Bronxgirl48 wrote: February 16th, 2024, 12:36 am :smiley_heartbounce: :smiley_heartbounce: :smiley_heartbounce: :smiley_heartbounce: :smiley_heartbounce: :smiley_heartbounce: :smiley_heartbounce: :smiley_heartbounce: :smiley_heartbounce: :smiley_heartbounce:

Happy Day After Valentine's Day to all the dear people on this thread.

It's less depressing the Day After, lol.

Yesterday I ate some self-bought Belgian chocolate which I paired with my beloved Lays Dill Pickle potato chips. These were washed down with Sprite.

I passed up the 112th airing of DR. ZHIVAGO but stuck around for BRIEF ENCOUNTER (no sex please, we're British) and always weep buckets at the end of 1939's WUTHERING HEIGHTS. And it was a real treat seeing REBECCA after so many years!
And a belated Happy Valentine's Day to you! That day can be a tough one: I know someone who calls it "Singles Awareness Day." Years ago I decided to try a nice restaurant I'd never been to. On Valentine's Day. Where I was the only person there alone. I never made that mistake again. Chocolate, potato chips, and great movies are a wonderful way to spend any day!

Thanks, kingrat. I have been alone, in the romantic sense, a bit too long and do get melancholy now and again thinking about it. However, I watch a lot of Dateline where over and over again they show desperate single women who pair up with/marry the first guy who asks and wind up either poisoned or shoved off a cliff. Thank heavens I've never been THAT desperate!
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Hibi wrote: February 16th, 2024, 12:25 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: February 16th, 2024, 12:36 am :smiley_heartbounce: :smiley_heartbounce: :smiley_heartbounce: :smiley_heartbounce: :smiley_heartbounce: :smiley_heartbounce: :smiley_heartbounce: :smiley_heartbounce: :smiley_heartbounce: :smiley_heartbounce:

Happy Day After Valentine's Day to all the dear people on this thread.

It's less depressing the Day After, lol.

Yesterday I ate some self-bought Belgian chocolate which I paired with my beloved Lays Dill Pickle potato chips. These were washed down with Sprite.

I passed up the 112th airing of DR. ZHIVAGO but stuck around for BRIEF ENCOUNTER (no sex please, we're British) and always weep buckets at the end of 1939's WUTHERING HEIGHTS. And it was a real treat seeing REBECCA after so many years!
And a belated Happy Valentine's Day to you! That day can be a tough one: I know someone who calls it "Singles Awareness Day." Years ago I decided to try a nice restaurant I'd never been to. On Valentine's Day. Where I was the only person there alone. I never made that mistake again. Chocolate, potato chips, and great movies are a wonderful way to spend any day!
LOL. I hate eating alone in restaurants. Since covid I haven't been in any. I as see it, it's just another day to get people to spend money. I don't need a special day to do that!

We have lousy restaurants here in South Florida so it's no hardship any day of the week or holiday to avoid them. If I want to celebrate I just have pizza or Asian food delivered.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: February 19th, 2024, 11:07 pm
Hibi wrote: February 16th, 2024, 12:25 pm

LOL. I hate eating alone in restaurants. Since covid I haven't been in any. I as see it, it's just another day to get people to spend money. I don't need a special day to do that!
[/quote

We have lousy restaurants here in South Florida so it's no hardship any day of the week or holiday to avoid them. If I want to celebrate I just have pizza or Asian food delivered.

It's a good way for me to save money so I can spend it on other things!
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: February 19th, 2024, 10:52 pm
Hibi wrote: February 16th, 2024, 9:30 am DAMN! I forgot Rebecca was on! :(

I don't regularly check their schedule but was glad I did this time. So sorry you missed it. Did you at least catch NOTORIOUS? These two Hitch classics, two of his best, very rarely pop up.

Yes, I did catch Notorious. I missed Gosford Park too. I should've checked the Oscar schedule beforehand. My own fault! :( I was even home from work the day they ran Rebecca too. Talk about rubbing salt in the wound!
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Hibi, guess what?? I just checked the schedule and SPELLBOUND is coming up later this evening (Eastern Standard Time) at 10:30 p.m.!!! Man oh man, TCM is knocking it out of the park with these little-seen Hitchcocks!!! First they surprised us with NOTORIOUS, followed that up with REBECCA for Valentine's Day (ha!), and now SPELLBOUND, which I haven't seen in decades. So excited!!
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

It is great that all of these Hitchcock films are turning up on the channel again
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Yep, CI!

I know I'm asking a lot but would also love to see them air UNDER CAPRICORN and THE PARADINE CASE. Those are two of my favorite (for lack of a better word) "underground" Hitch's, lol.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: February 20th, 2024, 6:35 pm Hibi, guess what?? I just checked the schedule and SPELLBOUND is coming up later this evening (Eastern Standard Time) at 10:30 p.m.!!! Man oh man, TCM is knocking it out of the park with these little-seen Hitchcocks!!! First they surprised us with NOTORIOUS, followed that up with REBECCA for Valentine's Day (ha!), and now SPELLBOUND, which I haven't seen in decades. So excited!!
I watched part of it but couldn't stay up to finish it. Wish I'd recorded it. Hopefully these seldom seen Hitch films will turn up again and aren't one offs. The psychology angle is pretty laughable today, but the film's 2 leads and that wonderful score-Spellbinding!
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: February 20th, 2024, 7:49 pm Yep, CI!

I know I'm asking a lot but would also love to see them air UNDER CAPRICORN and THE PARADINE CASE. Those are two of my favorite (for lack of a better word) "underground" Hitch's, lol.
Paradine should be turning up before long because it is under the same ownership as the ones that just aired but I’m not sure on Capricorn since it has some sort of ownership issue since it lapsed its copyright
Andree

Post by Andree »

I hadn't seen either Notorious or Spellbound in a while. The first one is pretty entertaining,
though Nazis in Brazil with Uranium doesn't have the same impact as it likely did back in 1946. I know
the MacGuffin isn't that important, but what were the Nazis going to do? Build an atomic bomb and
sell it to the Ruskies. Never mind, it's only a movie. The Peck-Bergman romance in the second one is
pretty corny, so I was more into the murder mystery aspect of the movie, which is moderately interesting.
The funniest part was the head shrinkers trying to pass of their psychoanalysis as science. I wonder
if five psychoanalysts were told he same dream they'd all come up with the same answer. The mid 1940s
clothes, hair, glasses, etc. look was enjoyable.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Hibi wrote: February 21st, 2024, 10:15 am
Bronxgirl48 wrote: February 20th, 2024, 6:35 pm Hibi, guess what?? I just checked the schedule and SPELLBOUND is coming up later this evening (Eastern Standard Time) at 10:30 p.m.!!! Man oh man, TCM is knocking it out of the park with these little-seen Hitchcocks!!! First they surprised us with NOTORIOUS, followed that up with REBECCA for Valentine's Day (ha!), and now SPELLBOUND, which I haven't seen in decades. So excited!!
I watched part of it but couldn't stay up to finish it. Wish I'd recorded it. Hopefully these seldom seen Hitch films will turn up again and aren't one offs. The psychology angle is pretty laughable today, but the film's 2 leads and that wonderful score-Spellbinding!

I have to admit I was somewhat disappointed because the print they aired was not the most pristine; still, I enjoyed it even though I think it's second-tier Hitch. I'd forgotten how lame the psychological "reveal" is. Greg looks so skinny, lol. Ingrid with that movie spinster wardrobe -- glasses, hair pulled back, severe wardrobe, etc., like Donna Reed as a (gasp!) unmarried librarian in the Pottersville section of IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

CinemaInternational wrote: February 21st, 2024, 12:32 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: February 20th, 2024, 7:49 pm Yep, CI!

Paradine should be turning up before long because it is under the same ownership as the ones that just aired but I’m not sure on Capricorn since it has some sort of ownership issue since it lapsed its copyright

Thanks, CI! I wonder if CAPRICORN is on YouTube. (sans commercials)
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Andree wrote: February 21st, 2024, 5:43 pm I hadn't seen either Notorious or Spellbound in a while. The first one is pretty entertaining,
though Nazis in Brazil with Uranium doesn't have the same impact as it likely did back in 1946. I know
the MacGuffin isn't that important, but what were the Nazis going to do? Build an atomic bomb and
sell it to the Ruskies. Never mind, it's only a movie. The Peck-Bergman romance in the second one is
pretty corny, so I was more into the murder mystery aspect of the movie, which is moderately interesting.
The funniest part was the head shrinkers trying to pass of their psychoanalysis as science. I wonder
if five psychoanalysts were told he same dream they'd all come up with the same answer. The mid 1940s

I always got the feeling Hitch encouraged/pressured the writers to pruriently hammer home the fact in NOTORIOUS that Alicia had to sleep with Rains, or at least physically arouse his already lustful desires, before they got married, and then, when they did, to make real sure the audience knew it was basically distasteful to her even though she's supposed to be this international playgirl. The script beefs all this up with Grant's dialogue: "You just chalked up another boyfriend" "Your husband is very romantic, I'm sure he'll want to take an extended honeymoon", etc.
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: February 22nd, 2024, 6:46 pm
Andree wrote: February 21st, 2024, 5:43 pm I hadn't seen either Notorious or Spellbound in a while. The first one is pretty entertaining,

I always got the feeling Hitch encouraged/pressured the writers to pruriently hammer home the fact in NOTORIOUS that Alicia had to sleep with Rains, or at least physically arouse his already lustful desires, before they got married, and then, when they did, to make real sure the audience knew it was basically distasteful to her even though she's supposed to be this international playgirl. The script beefs all this up with Grant's dialogue: "You just chalked up another boyfriend" "Your husband is very romantic, I'm sure he'll want to take an extended honeymoon", etc.
There's also the dialogue just before the "boyfriend" line at the racetrack, where Alicia Huberman tells Devlin "Nothing important. Just a minor item that you may want for the record... You can add Sebastian's name to my list of playmates." Devlin replies with "Pretty fast work." to which Alicia takes exception with "That's what you wanted, isn't it?"

I'm a bit surprised this frank (for 1940s Hollywood films) discussion of sexual liaisons was allowed by production code.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

txfilmfan wrote: February 22nd, 2024, 6:52 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: February 22nd, 2024, 6:46 pm

There's also the dialogue just before the "boyfriend" line at the racetrack, where Alicia Huberman tells Devlin "Nothing important. Just a minor item that you may want for the record... You can add Sebastian's name to my list of playmates." Devlin replies with "Pretty fast work." to which Alicia takes exception with "That's what you wanted, isn't it?"

I'm a bit surprised this frank (for 1940s Hollywood films) discussion of sexual liaisons was allowed by production code.

Thank you txfilmfan!! Your memory is better than mine!