Marianne Quon--Iris, Chan Daughter #2
Benso Fong--Tommie Chan #3
Muni Seroff--Peter Laska
Barry Bernard--David Blake
Gene Roth--Luis Philipe Vega
Eddy Chandler--Lewis
Lelah Tyler--Mrs. Winters
Davison Clark--Sgt. Billings

Plot: A scientist who has designed a new torpedo is murdered in his home while entertaining guests. Conveniently, against all common sense of security he had the torpedo plans in the house and they are missing. All guests are held at the house while an investigation is underway. They call in the great Charlie Chan (Toler), and since this is set during WW II, we find that Charlie has been assigned to the Secret Service. As Charlie arrives he meets Sgt. Billings at the front door.

Charlie, "Sgt. Billings, old friend from Hawaii and United States Marines! Nice to see you here sergeant!"
Billings (Clark), "Not so nice, all my buddies in action everywhere and I'm guarding dead men."
Charlie, "May learn something of Germans and Japanese here."
Billings, "All I want to know about them is what I can get looking over a rifle sight!"
Charlie, "Most excellent viewpoint!"

The attitude towards potential foreign spies and operatives is set early.

Charlie proceeds to sort out the clues and suspects in traditional style. This time he is assisted (?) by his number two daughter, Iris (Quon) and his number three son, Tommie (Fong). They stumble around the periphery displaying the fact that genius is rarely inherited. Manatan Moreland makes his first appearance in a Chan movie as Birningham Brown. He supplies the required eye-rollin'. shuckin' and jivin' that appear so often in films of this vintage. His act is slightly toned town in this one and is not as offensive as usual. He would go on to become a regular in the series as Birningham Brown by staying employed as Charlie's chauffeur.

Several well planted red-herrings make the conclusion less that foregone in an entertaining puzzle that we watch Charlie piece together. Toler is very personable and easy to take. We aren't given as many "Chanisms" as usual but when several suspects claim to have found the body he does inquire, "Anyone else wants to nominate self as the discoverer of body?"

During the course of the movie we also learn that his children now number fourteen. Oh, think of the possible sequels!

7* (out of 10) Above average Chan. How the Hawaiian Police force ever solves any crimes with Charlie always out of town is beyond me.
Last edited by cinemalover on April 28th, 2008, 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

The only bad movie is no movie at all.
cinemalover

The Gorilla Review #199

Post by cinemalover »

The last movie I watched as a single man. I might as well watch the goofy ones now, because Karie won't appreciate these little winners....

Sons of Kong 3 discs, 10 movies, Alpha Video.

Movies included:
White Pongo 1945
Savage Girl 1932
Nabonga (aka Gorilla) 1944
White Gorilla 1945
The Gorilla 1939
Bride of the Gorilla 1951
The Ape Man 1943
Bela Lugosi Meets a Brooklyn Gorilla 1952
The Ape 1940
Law of the Jungle 1942

This is the sixth film of this set I have watched.

Date watched: 7/6/2007
Title: The Gorilla Made: 1939
Genre: Detective/Comedy Studio: 20th Century Fox
Format: DVD Extras: Just the movies, ma'am
# of times viewed: 2

Stars:
Jimmy Ritz--Ben Garrity
Harry Ritz--Harrigan
Al Ritz--Mulligan
Patsy Kelly--Kitty, the maid
Anita Louise--Norma Denby
Lionel Atwill--Walter Stevens
Bela Lugosi--Peters, the butler
Joseph Calleia--The Starnger
Edward Norris--Jack Marsden
Art Miles--Poe the gorilla

Tagline: Thrills + laughs = entertainment! (I hope the writer was well-paid for this little gem)

The wealthy Walter Stevens (Atwill) receives a note from a killer known as the Gorilla which forecasts Stevens' death. Stevens hires the Garrity Detective Service the Ritz Brothers) to investigate and potentially prevent his murder. Also in the Stevens' household is the creepy butler Peters (Lugosi, in a mostly pedestrian role) and the loud-mouthed maid Kitty (Kelly).

The Garrity's start to interrogate suspects within the house.
Ben Garrity, "Now look here, where were you last night?"
Kitty, "Me? Why...I...Uh..."
Harrigan Garrity, "Answer yes or no!"
Kitty, "I...I...was..."
Mulligan Garrity, "What were you doing there?"
Kitty, "Doing where?"
Ben Garrity, "Well, how would we know?"
Harrigan Garrity, "Besides, I don't like your looks!"
Kitty, "Did you ever take a good look at yourself!"

There is also this clever exchange between butler and maid:
Peters, "Did I hear somebody scream?"
Kitty, "If you didn't you should get your ears cleaned out!"

During the Garrity's investigation a real gorilla shows up at the mansion to really confuse the issue. The Stranger (Calleia) is creeping around the edges of the plot to further muddy the waters and add a red herring or two to the stew.

A very interesting cast with Lionel Atwill, the always shrill Patsy Kelly, Bela Lugosi and the Ritz Brothers is somewhat wasted in this recycled old dark house riff. I have not seen much of the Ritz Brothers, and to be honest cannot tell you which one is which. They do have a few nice humorous bits, but nothing to make me forget the Marx Brothers. The one interesting thing about the Ritz Brothers is that they are all very light on their feet, which allows them to create a unique visual to things as simple as walking in unison, etc...

4* (out of 10) The image on this disc is slightly zoomed in (presumably to eliminate frame damage around the edges), which crops some picture detail off. It's only truly noticeable during the credits.
Last edited by cinemalover on April 28th, 2008, 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

I'm all caught up now posting reviews. I'd been slacking with a lot of distractions lately (happy ones). Now we'll see how married life affects the choices of movies that are watched in the house. Hopefully I can talk Karie into adding her thoughts to give an additional perspective. Until next time.
Chris

cinemalover

The Alphabet Murders Review #200

Post by cinemalover »

Here's Tony Randall in a very different role for him....

Date watched:7/8/2007
Title:The Alphabet Murders Made: 1965
Genre: Detective Studio: MGM/British Studios
Format: DVD-R Source: TCM--unfortunately in fullscreen.
# of times viewed: First

Stars:
Tony Randall--Hercule Poirot
Anita Ekberg--Amanda Beatrice Cross
Robert Morley--Captain Hastings
Maurice Denham--Inspector Japp
Gut Rolfe--Duncan Doncaster
Sheila Allen--Lady Diane
James Villiers--Franklin
Julian Glover--Don Fortune
Grazina Frame--Betty Bernard
Clive Morton--"K"
Cyril Luckham--Sir Carmichael Clarke
Richard Wattis--Wolf

Tagline: It's really no mystery how this girl can be murder---it's as simple as ABC if you look hard enough!

Plot: There is a series of murders in London. The first person killed had the initials of A.A., the second had the initials of B.B., then C.C. and so on. Therefore they are referred to as the Alphabet Murders. Hercule Poirot (Randall) is investigating with the assistance of Captain Hastings (Morley) and Inspector Japp (Denham).

The movie is an unusual combination of murder mystery featuring a beloved character in Hercule Poirot, the Belgian detective, and breezy comedy. There is a scene where Poirot is bowling (?) and he grabs one bowling ball in each hand, launching them down side-by-side bowling lanes and achieving simultaneous strikes! This is not the Hercule Poirot we've come to know at all. Tony Randall even looks odd in his bald cap and upturned 'stache. But I kept watching because I was curious as to what could possibly happen next.

An example of a bizarre exchange between Poirot and Captain Hastings:

Hastings, "Where have you been? What have you been doing?"
Poirot, "Arranging a little extra insurance my friend."
Hastings, "Oh really? Personally I always feel perfectly safe with British railways. Mind you it's very different in France, isn't it?"
Poirot, "I wouldn't know. I am not French, I am Belgian."
Hastings, "Well it's the same thing, you both eat horsemeat."

I have very mixed feelings about this film. I appreciate that they tried to do something completely different from any previous interpretation, but I would imagine that the film must have offended most of the traditional Hercule Poirot fans. The music, the structure, and the casting of the primary role all go against type and the results are confusing if marginally interesting. Robert Morley is fun to watch as the semi-bumbling Hastings.

4* (out of 10) Not what I hoped for, but at least it's not another carbon copy of everything that has come before it.
Last edited by cinemalover on April 28th, 2008, 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

cinemalover

Wild Wild West Review #201

Post by cinemalover »

And now back to one of my all-time favorite TV shows...

Date watched: 7/10/2007
Title: The Wild Wild West TV Show Made: 1966-67
Genre: Western/Spy Studio: CBS-Paramount
Format: DVD Extras-This is the complete Series 2--28 episodes
# of times viewed: 5

Season 2 Episode 15 Original Air Date: 12/30/66
The Night of the Lord of Limbo

Stars:
Robert Conrad--James "Jim" West
Ross Martin--Artemus "Arte" Gordon
Guest stars:
Ricardo Montalban--Colonel Vautrain
Diane Foster--Amanda Vautrain
Felice Orlandi--Captain Scofield
Gregory Morton--Levering

Plot: A magician chooses Arte as a volunteer in his act. When he makes Arte disappear he truly vanishes and nobody knows where he is. Jim investigates and the trail leads to Colonel Vautrain (Montalban). The Colonel had lost his legs seven years earlier at the Battle of Vicksburg against Captain James West's northern troops. He holds Jim responsible for his disability and is holding Arte's life as incentive for Jim to obey him.

The Colonel seems to have magical powers and has concocted a plan to go back in time and change history so that he doesn't lose his legs. But what other consequences could his actions have on the outcome of the war? The Colonel attempts to explain what he's going to do, "A warp in the fabric of space, a break that could permit an object or a group of Marco Polos, if you please, to enter and go voyaging through space's limitless Fourth Dimension....time! Which is what happened to the bronze bust (when it disappeared) and what happened to you gentlemen too, awhile back."
Jim, "The question was how you do it."
Colonel, "Ah, Mr. West. There are a lot of tags for the answer to that. The wise men of India call it Denasuk, faith that you can move the fabled mountain because you can depend on it. All the pent up power of the Universe is corralled up here (holding his temples) in all of us. But I have learned the trick of focusing it, releasing it and harnessing it. I wasn't sure it would work with people, but it does!"

Imagine Montalban in full angry emoting mode spitting out the speech (think Wrath of Khan!).

9* (out of 10) For the series.
9* (out of 10) for this episode. Was it western-aged time travel or an illusion? Another colorful guest star to keep Jim and Arte on their toes.
Last edited by cinemalover on April 28th, 2008, 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

cinemalover

The War Wagon Review #202

Post by cinemalover »

Here is yet another nice, budget priced DVD set. This one is a Screen Legend Collection: John Wayne The Franchise Collection. This is a handsomely packaged 3 disc set that contains five John Wayne movies that Universal owns the rights to. The price was under $20, a nice bargain.

Movies included:
Reap the Wild Wind 1942
The Spoilers 1942
The War Wagon 1967
Hell Fighters 1968
Rooster Cogburn 1975

Date watched:7/10/2007
Title: The War Wagon Made: 1967
Genre: Western Studio: Universal/Batjac
Format: DVD Extras: Anamorphic WS, Trailer.
# of times viewed: 9

Director: Burt Kennedy
Stars:
John Wayne--Taw Jackson
Kirk Douglas--Lomax
Howard Keel--Levi Walking Bear
Robert Walker--Billy Hyatt
Keenan Wynn--Wes Fletcher
Bruce Cabot--Frank Pierce
Joanna Barnes--Lola
Valora Noland--Kate Fletcher
Bruce Dern--Hammond
Gene Evans--Hoag

Tagline: The War Wagon rolls and the screen explodes!

Plot: Frank Pierce (Cabot) is a snake in human clothing. Five years ago he hired professional gun Lomax (Douglas) to kill Taw Jackson (Wayne) because a huge gold strike was found on Jackson's ranch property. Lomax only wounds Jackson but Pierce sees that Jackson is framed and sent to prison. While he's gone Pierce takes over Jackson's ranch and gets filthy rich from the gold strike.

Now Jackson is released from prison and returns home with revenge on his mind. He forms a tenuous partnership with Lomax to go after Pierce's gold. Lomax's loyalties are only as deep as the money he is promised. Once Pierce knows that Jackson is back he wants him dead. When two of his men are sent to find and hire Lomax to kill Jackson they find Jackson and Lomax together. They want Pierce's fee for themselves and try to draw on the two gunmen. The results are expected.

Lomax discussing the two dead messengers, "Mine hit the ground first!"
Jackson, "Mine was taller!"

Later Pierce offers Lomax $12,000 to kill Jackson (not knowing of their bond.

Lomax lets Jackson know the score, "You're worth $12,000 to me dead!"
Jackson, "And $100,000 alive!"

Lomax will remain loyal to the opportunity for larger riches, at least for the time being.

The plan to rob Pierce's riches involves hijacking the "War Wagon". The wagon is an armor plated stage with a Gatling Gun mounted on top. This is used to transport the shipments of gold that are pouring out of the mine. This becomes a buddy movie/western/heist picture, so you surely get your money's worth. There is also a good sense of humor woven into the plot as director Burt Kennedy was just warming up for several classic western comedies that he would shortly undertake. Those would include two of my all time favorites in Support Your Local Sherrif! (1969) and Support Your Local Gunfighter! (1971).

Whereas not a great classic western, it is a lot of fun. Douglas and the Duke make a grand pairing that holds your attention throughout as they try to outdo each other. The liner notes say that director Burt Kennedy gave up half his salary in order to hire Douglas.

7* (out of 10) Entertaining if not spectacular. This is one of those films that I remember seeing multiple times on TV while growing up and enjoying every time. The picture quality was great and I look forward to watching the remaining films in this set.
Last edited by cinemalover on April 28th, 2008, 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

cinemalover

The Durango Kid Review #203

Post by cinemalover »

Here's a nice little "B" western to contrast with the big budget Duke western.

Date watched:7/9/2007
Title:The Durango Kid Made: 1940
Genre: Western Studio:Columbia
Format: DVD-R Source: Western Channel

Stars:
Charles Starrett--Bill Lowry/Durango kid
Luana Walters--Nancy Winslow
Ken MacDonald--Mace Ballard
Forrest Taylor--Ben Winslow
Melvin Lang--Marshal Trayboe
Francis Walker--Steve
Sons of the Pioneers--Ranch hands/Musicians

Tagline: Both barrels blazin'! All hands singin'!

Plot: Mace Ballard (MacDonald) is trying to force homesteaders off of his land so he can use it to graze his cattle. The problem is that the homesteaders have a legal right to be there as long as they follow the laws and regulations that control homesteader rights.

Bill Lowry (Starrett) has a personal score against Mace to settle. Mace had Bill's father Sam killed when Sam discovered Mace's plan to get rid of the homesteaders. Mace blamed the Durango Kid for Sam's murder. Bill knows this can't be true because he is the Durango Kid, an alias he created to fight against Mace's tyranny. As Bill Lowry, Starrett maintains a Clark Kent persona so that he won't be perceived as a threat to mace. Bill Lowry accepts a deputy job for Marshal Trayboe (Lang). This is perfectly acceptable to Mace because he'd rather have a creampuff like Bill investigating the circumstances than someone that might actually uncover Mace's misdeeds.

Bill as a deputy playfully confronts Mace, "Oh, Mace, do a little thinking before you start tearing down that homestead fence!"
Mace, "Why?!"
Bill, "Now that's something I can't answer, but the Marshal says that tearing down that fence before the government man says to would be illegal."
Mace, "What about it?"
Bill, "Not much. Only if he sent me out to see if you didn't, I'd hate to have to run you off, Mace!"
Mace, "Think you could?"
Bill, "That's something I don't know either. When they gave me this badge they didn't ask me if I could, they just made me swear I would. I guess I'd have to try."
Mace, "Might be a pretty big job."
Bill, "Might be at that. Course if I were as good with the gun as the Durango Kid I'd shoot a man's belt off without hurtin' him!"

This was the first of a long running series of Durango Kid movies starring Charles Starrett. Starrett certainly cuts a more athletic, heroic figure in this one than he does 12 years later as the series was winding down. Whereas he always plays the Durango Kid, his alias is different in most of the films. Here he is a "Bill", in most of the subsequent films he is a "Steve" somebody. With last names as diverse as Lanning, Blake, Ellison, Warren, Roper, Mason, Larkin and many more. This was either an intentional choice by the studio or the worst case of poor continuity that I've ever seen.

7* (out of 10) Well-crafted oater with a solid villain (MacDonald) and a dynamic lead. The Durango Kid plays the western Robin Hood, stealing from the evil Mace and giving to the poor homesteaders. There is also no sidekick in this one, instead we get songs from the Sons of the Pioneers as ranch hands and assistants to Bill. Smiley Burnette would fill the role of sidekick in most of the later entries in the series.
Last edited by cinemalover on April 30th, 2008, 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

cinemalover

The Wild Review #204

Post by cinemalover »

Temps in the greater Seattle area have been tipping 100 degrees the last few days (which is fairly rare around here) so we haven't been watching too many movies. But Jeremy and I did settle in to watch this late one night since we couldn't sleep in the heat anyway....

Date watched:7/11/2007
Title: The Wild Made: 2006
Genre: Animated Comedy Studio: Disney
Format: DVD Extras: Anamorphic WS, Deleted scenes, Featurette, Blooper reel, Music video.

Stars:
Kiefer Sutherland--Samson
Jim Belushi--Benny
Eddie Izzard--Nigel
Janeane Garofalo--Bridget
William Shatner--Kazar
Richard Kind--Larry
Greg Cipes--Ryan
Colin Hay--Fergus Flamingo
Miles Marsico--Duke
Jack De Sena--Eze
Don Cherry--Penguin MC

Taglines:
A whole new breed of tourist.

Start spreading the newspaper.

The circle of life meets the Big Apple.

Plot: Ryan (Cipes) is a lion cub living with his father, Samaon (Sutherland) in a New York City zoo. He longs to travel to the wilds of Africa because of the exciting stories his dad has told him while growing up. Ryan thinks that the only way he will be able to develop his mighty lion roar is by exposure to the wild.

Ryan gets on a freighter that is bound for Africa. Once Samson realizes that Ryan is gone he gathers his animal buddies and busts out of the zoo to go find Ryan. To get to the docks where the ship is they travel through the sewer system.

Samson is trying to figure out exactly what the purpose of the sewer is, "Appears to be a human bathing area."
Nigel (Izzard as a Koala who gets all the laughs in the movie), "You mean humans don't lick themselves clean? Disgusting!"

The animal crew reaches the docks only to find that the freighter that Ryan is on has just left. So they do what any self-respecting group of zoo animals would do, they steal a ship to go after Ryan! One slight problem though...
Bridget (Garofalo as a giraffe), "How do we steer? Who knows how to steer? None of us. We're animals! GREAT!"

When they finally reach the island that Ryan has landed on they find that the ship was there to rescue animals from the island because the volcano is very active. They must stay and find Ryan though who has gone off to enjoy the wild. Ryan and the group are confronted by a group of wildebeasts lead by Kazar (Shatner). Kazar's goal is to have the wildebeasts move up on the food chain by becoming carnivores, and what better way to start a new tradition than by eating your traditional enemy, the lion?

The movie is cute but very shallow. This came out at about the same time as Madagascar, which had a very similar theme and was much funnier. The theme of a single parent raising a child is a common one in Disney animation and just adds to the sense of deja vu. Haven't we seen this so many times before? Another in a line of descending quality Disnay animated features. Thank goodness Pixar execs have taken over Disney animation, because they still know how to make a great animated film that works on multiple levels so that parents and children both can enjoy, on different levels.

Jeremy-meter 7* (out of 10) Enough giggles for kids to enjoy. The Koala Nigel, as voiced by Eddie Izzard, talks about his bum (rear end) a lot, and that will always incur a child's laughter.

4* (out of 10) The computer animation is very well-designed, there are places where you can see the animals fur blowing in the wind. Now, if only that same level of attention to detail would have been paid to this retread of a script.
Last edited by cinemalover on April 30th, 2008, 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

cinemalover

Square Shooter Review #205

Post by cinemalover »

Here's another "B" western from the stack of them I've got that were recorded off of the Western Channel. Tim McCoy is one cowpoke that I haven't viewed that many of his films. He is instantly recognizable in his 10 gallon white hat...

Date watched:7/12/2007
Title:Square Shooter Made: 1935
Genre: Western Studio:Columbia
Format: DVD-R Source: Western Channel

Stars:
Tim McCoy--Tim Baxter
Jacqueline Wells-- Sally Wayne
Erville Anderson--Dr. Wayne
John Darrow--Johnny Lloyd
Charles "Ming" Middleton--Jed Miller
J. Farrell MacDonald--Sheriff
Wheeler Oakman--Thorne
Steve Clark--Pete
William Mong--Ezra Root

Tagline: Here he comes--the rough-riding Robin Hood of the range!

Plot: Another example of the hero, Tim Baxter (McCoy and his huge white hat) having been framed and sent to prison for another man's crime. While he was behind bars he also had the ranch that he was set to inherit from his uncle stolen from him with the assistance of a forged will.

The culprit behind the scam is Jed Miller (Middleton of "Ming the Merciless" fame) who is in co-hoots with the banker Ezra Root (Mong). The two of them have worked together to cheat many of the townsfolk out of their hard-earned money through various schemes, including the use of forged checks.

Tim Baxter is a long-time friend of Sally Wayne (Wells), and has always been in love with her. Unfortunately, he later discovers that his best friend Johnny (Darrow) is also in love with Sally and she with him. Our poor hero won't be riding off in the sunset with this gal.

Tim and Johnny gather all the folks that have been financially burdened by Miller and Root's exploits in a plot to get their money back.

6* (out of 10) A nice square-jawed (and traditionally square), square-shooting hero in Tim McCoy leads the white hats against a superior villain portrayed by Charles Middleton.
Last edited by cinemalover on April 30th, 2008, 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

ken123

Post by ken123 »

The Jacqueline Wells mentioned in the precious review later achieved some fame as Julie Bishop. :wink:
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

Ken,
Thanks for the information about Jacqueline/Julie. That's nice to know.
Chris

cinemalover

Willow Review #206

Post by cinemalover »

Last Friday night was the official first Friday Family Foursome night as my lovely new bride has joined our family event. Another beautiful summer evening in Seattle started with dinner on the deck and then settling into a late evening film. Karie being the newest addition, was given the privilege of choosing the film and she chose one of her favorite films from the '80's....

Date watched:7/13/2007
Title: Willow Made: 1988
Genre: Fantasy/Adventure Studio: 20th Century Fox/ Lucasfilm
Format: DVD Extras: Anamorphic WS, Commentary, Featurettes, Still gallery, Trailers and TV spots.
# of times viewed: 3

Director: Ron Howard

Stars:
Val Kilmer--Madmartigan
Warwick Davis--Willow Ufgood
Joanne Whalley--Sorsha
Billy Barty--High Aldwin
Jean Marsh--Queen Bavmorda
Patricia Hayes--Fin Raziel
Pat Roach--General Kael
Gavan O'Herlihy--Airk Thaughbaer
David Steinberg--Meegosh
Phil Fondacaro--Vohnkar
Kevin Pollack--Rool

Taglines:
Adventure doesn't come any bigger than this!

A world where heroes come in all sizes and adventure is the greatest magic of all.

Beyond good....beyond evil...beyond your wildest imagination!

Plot: In the castle dungeon of the evil sorceress Queen Bavmorda (Marsh) a prisoner gives birth to a baby girl who is prophesized to be responsible for the end of the reign of the wicked Queen. The baby is smuggled out of the castle before the Queen can have her killed.

The baby ends up in the hands of the nelwyns (little people) and specifically young Willow (Davis). Through the advice of the High Aldwin (Barty), Willow and a few of his fellow nelwyns set off on a dangerous journey to return the baby to her people and fulfill the prophecy.

High Aldwin's advice to Willow as he prepares for his mission, "Magic is the bloodstream of the universe. Forget all you know, or think you know. All that you require is your intuition."

Along the trail Willow comes across a caged prisoner, Madmartigan (Kilmer), the self-proclaimed best swordsman of the world. Willow frees Madmartigan based upon his vow to protect the baby. Willow, Madmartigan and the baby find themselves pursued by all of the Queen's evil forces, lead by her daughter Sorsha (Whalley). Willow is also "helped" by a couple of Brownies (pixies) in his quest. These pint-sized clowns are primarily responsible for comic relief. A little of their "humor" goes aloooooong way.

Overall, an entertaining grand adventure. Maybe best described as a Lord of the Rings Lite with an extra load of giggles piled on top. The effects do look a bit dated, especially the scenes where the Brownies have Willow staked to the ground like Gulliver. The blue-screen work in these scenes is erratic and occasionally out of scale. But a minor quibble overall.

Warick Davis (who was 18 at the time) stands tall, so to speak, in the lead. Not surprisingly, Kilmer had no problems playing an egotistical blowhard.

Jeremy meter 9* (out of 10) Jeremy loved the fight scenes, especially the warriors chasing our heroes in a wagon. The attack dogs that looked like they were bred with rats also caught his attention.

Tina teen-meter 9* (out of 10) She cracked up when Willow first met Madmartigan in his cage. Madmartigan's fake tears to get Willow's sympathy gave her the giggles.

Karie's beautiful-new-bride-meter 9* (out of 10) Karie scores big with her first choice as both kids REALLY enjoyed the film. This is one of Karie's favorite adventure films and she enjoys everything about it.

7* (out of 10) It is an enchanting story that I found myself really enjoying. It had been at least ten years since I'd last seen the film. It is good fun, I just found that the tiny Brownies got annoying rather quickly.

Everyone stayed awake for the entire movie (much easier for the kids during the summer since they get to sleep in). What a wonderful evening for our new family, I hope there are many more of these in our future. This was one very LUCKY Friday the 13th!
Last edited by cinemalover on April 30th, 2008, 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

cinemalover

The Bride of the Gorilla Review #207

Post by cinemalover »

On my safari into the DVD jungle I stumbled across some old friends...Raymond Burr, Tom Conway and Lon Chaney Jr.....

Sons of Kong
3 discs, 10 movies, Alpha Video.

Movies included:
White Pongo 1945
Savage Girl 1932
Nabonga (aka Gorilla) 1944
White Gorilla 1945
The Gorilla 1939
Bride of the Gorilla 1951
The Ape Man 1943
Bela Lugosi Meets a Brooklyn Gorilla 1952
The Ape 1940
Law of the Jungle 1942

This is the seventh film of this set I have watched.

Date watched: 7/14/2007
Title: The Bride of the Gorilla Made: 1951
Genre: Jungle Adventure Studio: Jack Broder Productions
Format: DVD Extras: Just the movies, ma'am

Director: Curt Siodmak
Stars:
Raymond (Perry Mason) Burr--Barney Chavez
Lon (Wolfman) Chaney Jr.--Police Commissioner Taro
Barbara Payton--Dina Van Gelder
Tom (The Falcon) Conway--Dr. Viet
Paul Cavanagh--Klaas Van Gelder
Gisela Werbisek--Al Long
Carol Varga--Larina
Paul Maxey--Van Heusen
Woody Strode--Nedo
Felippa Rock--Stella Van Heusen
Steve Calvert--Gorilla

Taglines:
Her clothes torn away, screaming in terror!

A blonde beauty and a savage beast...alone in the jungle!

Plot: Jungle plantation owner Klaas Van Gelder (Cavanagh) keeps his beautiful blonde wife, Dina (Payton), isolated in the plantation manor. He is very jealous of any attention paid to her. When plantation foreman Barney Chavez (Burr) seems to spend too much time around the manor Van Gelder suspects the worst and fires Barney. Soon after Van Gelder dies of a snake bite under suspicious circumstances. With Van Gelder out of the picture Barney marries Dina and takes control of the plantation.

All does not go well for the new master and he never seems to enjoy the fruits of his labor. It seems that one of the locals witnessed Barney's participation with Van Gelder's "accident" and has placed a curse on him. Barney finds himself compelled to run off into the jungle at night and not return for days. He becomes one with the beasts once he enters the jungle, but does he actually transform, or does the curse just make him think he becomes an animal? His wife and friends find him passed out in the jungle, his clothes in tatters and blood on his hands.

In town Dr. Viet (Conway) and Police Commissioner Taro (Chaney) discuss the bizarre events occurring around the plantation.
Dr. Viet, "Have you heard of this big cat that's supposed to be around?"
Taro, "Of course. Some say it's a puma, others a giant ape and still others say it's the sucarat."
Dr. Viet, "A sucarat? That's a new kind of animal to me."
Taro, "That's a famous jungle demon that tears living animals to shreds with its claws, and then feeds upon them. It has been known to attack humans also."

Later Taro expresses his beliefs about Barney, "But I know that Barney Chavez murdered Van Gelder, I know it emotionally! I should arrest the man and charge him with murder!"
Dr. Viet, "Why don't you?"
Taro, "The case I have is not tight enough to get a conviction!"

Later Taro is confident that Barney will pay the price for his crime....one way or the other, "Barney Chavez will be brought to justice! The JUNGLE will see to that!"

This movie is full of poorly written lines and bad backlot jungle scenes. However, the mixture of seeing Burr, Chaney and Conway trying to battle through the low production values and maintain their dignity is worth the cost of admission.

5* (out of 10) Plantation melodrama meets jungle horror! An odd mix that works best if you don't try to follow the plot but just concentrate on the actors themselves. Just bad enough to be good.
Last edited by cinemalover on April 30th, 2008, 2:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Chris

cinemalover

Joe Kidd Review #208

Post by cinemalover »

I love westerns and I love Eastwood, so this should be a slam dunk, right?

Date watched:7/15/2007
Title: Joe Kidd Made: 1972
Genre: Western Studio: Universal
Format: DVD Extras: WS, Production notes, Cast and filmmakers' biographies, Trailer.
# of times viewed: 3

Stars:
Clint Eastwood--Joe Kidd
Robert Duvall--Frank Harlan
John Saxon--Luis Chama
Don Stroud--Lamarr
Stella Garcia--Helen Sanchez
James Wainwright--Mingo
Paul Koslo--Roy
Gregory Walcott--Mitchell
Dick Van Patten--Hotel Manager
Lynne Marta--Elma

Tagline: If you're looking for trouble...he's Joe Kidd.

The evolution of the western in the '60's began when Spaghetti westerns starting popping up on American screens. The western had been dying a slow and painful death in American theatres due to overexposure on the big screen and especially on television. So when underwhelming American stars(?) like Clint Eastwood (and many others like Telly Savalas, Lee Van Cleef, etc...) headed to Europe to make westerns, it was for paychecks, not under the assumption that they were part of a stylistic cinema revolution. Eastwood (with the help of director Sergio Leone) starred in the hits For a Few Dollars More and A Fistful of Dollars (amongst others) and became the poster child for actors looking to create big screen careers overseas. In the early 70's the trend started to reverse and American filmmaker's tried to now imitate the success of the Spaghetti westerns in American films. One of the first to try to import the Spaghetti mentality was John Sturges' Joe Kidd in 1972. He even used Spaghetti icon Clint Eastwood to help the transition. Great idea, mediocre results.

Plot: Joe Kidd (Eastwood) is a former bounty hunter who now hires out as a professional gunslinger. He is hired by Frank Harlan (Duvall) to lead Frank and his band of killers to find the leader of the Mexican revolutionaries, Luis Chama (Saxon). The revolutionaries are attempting to get land back that the land barons (such as Harlan) have stolen from their people. The problem is that the land barons have the courts in their pockets and so the Mexicans have no legal recourse and are forced to resort to violence.

Immediately Kidd and the members of Harlan's group don't see eye to eye on their approach. One of the biggest pains to Kidd is expert gunman Lamarr (Stroud).
Kidd to Lamarr who is staring him down, "You want something?"
Lamarr (pulling out his gun), "You know how many holes I could put in you with this gun?"
Kidd, "Lamarr, I got a dollar says I can break your neck before you can move that rig a half inch!"
Lamarr, "Yeah? Well, Mr. Harlan wants you around, that's the only reason I don't plug you right now!"
Kidd, "When Mr. Harlan doesn't want me around any more you let me know, huh, boy!" (blowing smoke from his cigar in Lamarr's face).

You can feel the testosterone in the air and you know that one of these characters will not be around at the end.

As they are tracking down Chama they capture some of his men. When they won't give up Chama's location they are murdered by Harlan's men. When Kidd protests Harlan tells him, "I told you once before, I don't have time for court hearings. If these people want to fight me I'll blow 'em straight to hell!"

This event helps Kidd decide that he made a poor employment choice and will switch his allegiance to Chama and the revolutionaries at the earliest moment of convenience. The final showdown involves Kidd and Chama holding off Harlan's men as Kidd tries to talk Chama into giving himself up to authorities so that Harlan won't murder him.

The movie does feel like an imitation, with Sturges trying to capture the spirit of the Spaghetti westerns but watering down the results for easy, safe consumption. There is one spectacular scene where Eastwood and Saxon drive a train through a bar. That scene is very well done and a nice addition to the genre, but everything else is a retread. The score by Lalo Schifrin (best known for his fabulous Mission Impossible theme) is adequate but isn't in the same league as some of Ennio Morricone's scores for classics like Once Upon a Time in the West, For a Few Dollars More and A Fistful of Dollars.

6* (out of 10) Duvall is wonderful as the evil land baron and is a good counterpoint to Eastwood's hero with a name.
Last edited by cinemalover on April 30th, 2008, 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

cinemalover

Hook Review #209

Post by cinemalover »

Time for another summer movie with Jeremy. He has always enjoyed Peter Pan (he loves the sword fights) and he had never seen this variation...

Date watched:7/15/2007
Title: Hook Made: 1991
Genre: Fantasy Studio:Amblin Entertainment
Format: DVD Extras: Anamorphic WS.

Director: Steven Spielberg
Stars:
Robin Williams--Peter Banning (Pan)
Dustin Hoffman--Captain Hook
Julia Roberts--Tinkerbell
Bob Hoskins--Smee
Maggie Smith--Granny Wendy
Caroline Goodall--Moira Banning
Charlie Korsmo--Jack Banning
Amber Scott--Maggie Banning
Phil Collins--Inspector Good
Arthur Malet--Tootles

Tagline: What if Peter Pan grew up?

Plot: What would happen if Peter Pan grew up? Well, first of all he apparently has no memory whatsoever of Neverland or any part of his life as Pan. He is now Peter Banning (Williams) and is a corporate takeover lawyer who spends all his time and energy on his job. He has little time for his wife, Moira (Goodall), and even less for his children Jack (Korsmo) and Maggie (Scott).

His life is turned upside down when Captain Hook (Hoffman) arranges for Peter's children to be kidnapped and taken to Neverland. Peter follows with the intention of rescuing them. He finds that his lawyer negotiating skills have little or no value when facing Captain Hook. Peter is on Hook's ship where is children are in cages hanging from the mast. He tries to climb the rigging to get to his children.
Peter, "Someone give me a hand!"
Hook, "I already have!" (referring to his namesake)

Peter is powerless against Hook and with the help of Tinkerbell (Roberts) he retreats to the lair of the Lost Boys to seek help. To them he is just some old guy to taunt and tease and it is a slow painful process (for the viewers especially) as Peter must learn to use his imagination to regain the power of Peter Pan.

Once he remembers who he is he returns to Hook's ship to free his children. While he's been away Hook has turned his son, Jack, into a mini-me version of Hook, complete with wig and hat.

When Hook spies Peter returning as Pan:
Hook taunts, "How did you manage to fit into those smashing tights again, Peter?"
Peter's rebuttle, "I remember you being a lot BIGGER!"
Hook, "To a ten year old I'm HUGE!"

The banter between Hoffman and Williams is the lone highlight of this well-intentioned disaster. Watching Williams run around in tights with a bunch of pre-pubescent boys seems wrong on oh so many levels. The film is very handsome to look at but ultimately has no soul.

Jeremy-meter 7* (out of 10) Enough goofy action and adventure to satisfy an eight year old.

4* (out of 10) Several scenes that are worthwhile in and of themselves but the whole is an unsatisfactory mess. I'm sure this looked great on paper.
Last edited by cinemalover on April 30th, 2008, 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris