'Round the World Weather Report

Chit-chat, current events
movieman1957
Administrator

Re: 'Round the World Weather Report

Post by movieman1957 »

Please get the storm front a message to come this way. We are expecting storms but I doubt it will have much effect on the temp.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
klondike

Post by klondike »

Deal, Chris!
I just whispered an invocation for Nuadu Mhor, the Gaelic God of Winds, into the leeward corner of my chimney, and no doubt the weathercock atop my old slate roof is starting to spin about widdershins.
Give it an hour or a tad more, ye'll have a stormfront breakin' o'er Chesapeake country!
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

It is here!! You're good.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Oh, please -- we need some of that in NYC. I didn't even dare go out a lunchtime, after looking at weather.com to discover that the temperature was "90 degrees -- feels like 100." Have you any idea what 100 degrees feels like in Manhattan? I imagine the tenth circle of hell has a similar feel.

The worst of all is having to go down into the subway. The heat generated by each subway car's a/c unit adds about 1000 degrees to the already stifling heat down there. It's no better, really, than those olden days when the cars were not air-conditioned at all, except now all the heat is outside, instead of inside. I well recall people fainting in the cars during the summer before the a/c was installed.
klondike

Post by klondike »

Judith, you Gotham folks have a little weather pinata brewing in Erie country right now; after midnight it should start tumbling east & chugging down the Hudson River Valley, but I believe it will likely be early afternoon before it breaks the pressure dome dominating NYC & environs.
Aren't ye glad there's a Druid on duty? :wink:
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Yes, it's finally here, huzzah!

Dark as night, thundering like mad, pouring down. I'd be a bit happier if I hadn't chosen this evening to get my hair done at the pricey salon I like. Oh, well.

(Do I need to kiss an oak tree now?)
klondike

Post by klondike »

No.
Wearing an acorn cap next to your skin for 1 day, from sunrise to sunset, will suffice.
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

Last Sunday was so hot it was sickening, but we've had a lovely cool week. Okay, so I did have find the emergency flashlight at work and drag a small tree from my front yard to the burn pile. All in all, but than cooking along with all that 10' corn that surrounds us.
B
klondike

Post by klondike »

Birdy wrote:All in all, but than cooking along with all that 10' corn that surrounds us.
B
10 Foot!
That's even more high than an elephant's eye.
:wink:
klondike

Post by klondike »

A low, brilliant silver-button moon, full & round, sails a cool, blue velvet sky tonight; in Medieval Scotland, it would have been called "MacFarlane's Lantern", designating a perfect night for stealing livestock.
The crickets are in full concert in my frontyard, loud & declaiming, warning us all that it's time now to be the ant, not the grasshopper, to put away the fiddle & the jug, fill up the barn with grain & silage, get one's wood in, against the day the Sun starts hunching his shoulder, and his warming face grows small behind the gales & ice.
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

Fall update from the midwest - it has frosted lightly. They say it wasn't a hard frost but 3 plants on the porch died so call it what you want. I'm hoping the geraniums last until Halloween.
How is everyone else faring?
Birdy
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Finally had to turn on the furnace yesterday morning....brrrrrr. The pundits say if you have turned on the heater and the a/c in your car on the same day...you live in the Midwest. Show of hands??? yep, me, too. Today was in the low 70's, rest of the week is forecast to be in the low 60's. We're already getting a touch of color in the trees, seems a bit early, but it's beautiful. The beans and the corn are being harvested in some fields, while others are still predominantly green. Even the newly harvested cornfields are beautiful, a deep gold color. Looks like we're in for a gorgeous Autumn.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

After being sick and freezing all of last week, I finally called my landlord and asked him to turn the heat on. He explained the weatherman kept saying it was going to warm up, but they lied. I understood, because with the cost of gas nowadays, I don't blame him for waiting as long as he can. Since I'm feeling better everythings okay, but man I would have loved some heat last week, and my electric oven doesn't give off much heat, even if I prop the door open.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

Anne, I am so sorry you have been miserably cold. That is no way to get better.

We had to put our heat on a bit, a 50 degree rain makes you feel chilled to the bone in our old house.
Our rule of thumb is, put on another layer of clothes before touching the thermostat.
But it's really hard to walk up the stairs in 3 pair of pants!
B
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Wow!!

After almost nine months of no rain, I had almost forgotten what it looked like, what it sounded like, what it tasted like.

RAIN COMES TO THE CITY OF ANGELS!!!!!

Can I get a hallelujah brother!

The parched landscape needs it and as we are in our fourth or fifth year of drought, it is a welcome site indeed. Though the hills around the Station fire probably not so much.

Our weatherman, Fritz Coleman, is saying that we will have an El Nino winter, perhaps as much as 18 inches of rain or more.

We say, thank you, thank you, thank you!

At least for now.

It's raining!!!!!!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese