Shhhhh! It's Time to Pick Your Bestavorite Silents!

Chit-chat, current events
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

I think that any type of "election" always comes down to a popularity vote and this little endeavor won't be any different. The advantage that we will have is that for each match-up our wise members will be able to pontificate on the merits of each film that they choose to crusade. By reading any given match-up thread you may hear (read) some very compelling arguments that will educate all of us on areas of that particular film that we weren't aware of or didn't appreciate. The argument of a Shane or a Goldfinger not being worthy is completely subjective. I'm sure we have members that could make a convincing argument for any of these films being the "best" ever by some standard of measure.

Also, mudslinging will be allowed, and possibly encouraged, so feel free to slam any films that you feel are swimming out of their income bracket.
Chris

The only bad movie is no movie at all.
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

And even another 8:

#16 Psycho 1960 / 4/ 11.25
#15 Brief Encounter 1945 / 4/ 9.0
#14 Out of the past 1947 / 4/ 7.25
#13 Sunset Boulevard 1950 / 5/ 15.2
#12 How Green Was My Valley 1941 / 5/ 11.4
#11 Treasure of the Sierra Madre 1948 / 5/ 10.8
#10 Night of the Hunter 1955 / 5/ 10.4
#9 The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance 1962 / 5/ 9.4

Which leaves us with just the top 8 yet to come.
Last edited by cinemalover on December 2nd, 2007, 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Hi Hollis---it's all very subjective of course, but Shane isn't surprising to see on the list because it's regarded by many, many people as one of the best westerns ever made--some even considering it the best. I don't quiet agree, but I am not surprised about this one.
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Personally, I did not vote my list as the greatest films ever made. I voted for films that have touched me personally and resonated throughout my life.

As I said earlier, if you were to get another count from me today it would be totally different. That's one reason why I let my list stand and did not tinker with it. It's a snapshot of my emotions on a certain day and year. Sometimes first instincts are the best ones.

I was originally against this thread, but I think it was a valuable exercise and I learned so much about everyone else here. You can just read those lists and get a good understanding of each posters tastes.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Hollis:

I think Chris meant that you could make up your list either way, best or favorite. Back in the early part of the thread there was some talk of that. It may just be whatever you want to put on it.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

I love this, we are already sparking up some debate. My main point in starting this thread was to see people get passionate about their movies and lead to some entertaining debate. We have so many great opinions in our community it'll be nice to draw them all out.

Now, the moment I've been waiting for. I never wanted to be an accountant, but I've felt like one the last 24 hours. Ladies and gentlemen, I present the top eight seeds of our friendly competition:

#8 The Adventures of Robin Hood 1938 / 7/ 10.29
#7 The Godfather 1972 / 7/ 9.0
#6 Citizen Kane 1941 / 8/ 12.38
#5 Gone With the Wind 1939 / 8/ 11.88
#4 Singin' in the Rain 1952 / 8/ 10.38
#3 The Searchers 1956 / 8/ 10.13
#2 To Kill a Mockingbird 1962 / 8/ 8.75

and the number one seeded film going into tomorrow's match-ups is:

#1 Casablanca 1942 / 12/ 11.25

There you have them, for better or worse, until voting does them part. Remember, no matter where a movie starts in the seeding it can still go all the way to the top. You just have to convince others with your eloquent passion for the films you choose to crusade!
Last edited by cinemalover on December 2nd, 2007, 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

Moraldo Rubini

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

In my dream world, we'd have a film festival showing all of these movies and we all must attend before voting for them. Kind of in the manner of the Oscar screenings for Academy members, but it would be for the denizens of the Oasis. Ah my fantasy world is a wonderful place...
klondike

Post by klondike »

Moraldo Rubini wrote:In my dream world, we'd have a film festival showing all of these movies and we all must attend before voting for them. Kind of in the manner of the Oscar screenings for Academy members, but it would be for the denizens of the Oasis. Ah my fantasy world is a wonderful place...
I say, well said, Moraldo "Jack" Rubini, and very well imagined!
:D
And what a stunning bike of cinema hornets we'd make, cheerfully buzzing away at each other during the intermissions, all in our best evening wear, milling contentedly between the vintage matinee popcorn vendor & the art deco champagne fountain.
Somebody save me the middle seat in the back row, eh? I'll be wearing my kilt & plaid!
8)
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

Wouldn't that be incredible to be able to get us all together for a film festival like that? Amazing idea. But please, no talking during the feature.
Chris

Moraldo Rubini

The age old question: 'best' vs 'favorite'

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

Best or Favorite, what's the difference? It's all subjective, anyway. I mean, to me, both Shane and Goldfinger are superior examples of the art of filmmaking, over the motionless, staid and lethargic, My Fair Lady!
And with that, I believe this thread has made full circle...
Bogie

Post by Bogie »

cinemalover wrote:Wouldn't that be incredible to be able to get us all together for a film festival like that? Amazing idea. But please, no talking during the feature.
If we were all in North America and had the money I'd suggest doing this during Oscar time. Hey it'd be a great way to meet and to experience the movies!

Oh and I agree NO TALKING DURING THE FEATURE!

bTW you'll see me slinging mud all over Casablanca (ironic since Bogart is my avatar and my nickname is Bogie!)
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

Okay, time to get this baby started. In this thread I am going to post the four groups of sixteen films and how they line up in the brackets. After I'm done with that I'll be posting all 32 match-ups, each with its own thread.

Here are the first 16 films in their bracket. Each of these four brackets will play down to produce one representative to send to the Final Four of Film.

#1 Casablanca vs. #64 Notorious

#32 Sullivan's Travels vs. #33 The Navigator

#24 North by Northwest vs. #41 On The Waterfront

#16 Psycho vs. #49 The Quiet Man

#12 How Green Was My Valley vs. #53 White Heat

#20 It Happened One Night vs. Jaws #45

#28 Duck Soup vs. #37 The Uninvited

#8 The Adventures of Robin Hood vs #57 Ben-Hur 1959

The winner of the fisrt bracket (Casablanca/Notorious) will play the winner of bracket number 2. The winner of bracket number 3 will play the winner of bracket #4 and so on.
Chris

cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

Here is the second group of sixteen.

#4 Singin' in the Rain vs. #61 The Ghost and Mrs. Muir

#29 The Wizard of Oz vs. #36 Midnight

#21 The Lion in Winter vs. #44 Rear Window

#13 Sunset Boulevard vs. #52 Love Me Tonight

#9 The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance vs. #56 Goodbye, Mr. Chips 1939

#17 All About Eve vs. #48 The Birds

#25 Dodsworth vs. #40 She Wore a Yellow Ribbon