LISTS

Chit-chat, current events
ChiO

Re: LISTS

Post by ChiO »

Huh?

So embarrassed to have to had to amend my list to add it. Don't know if it's Disney's best animation, but it's by far my favorite Disney movie.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

With so many men away from home, Hollywood makes a number of pictures especially for the female audience. In the films about American families, the villains aren’t Nazis, even if they act like them sometimes

We got some solid, straightforward drama out of this concept. What's the strongest, most personal element in our lives? Family. What better source for honest, hard-hitting stories? You've listed the best examples, but there's also ORDINARY PEOPLE, SHADOW OF A DOUBT and George Cukor's sensitive LITTLE WOMEN. As well as some British entries by Lean, Coward and the likes.

In addition to being a superb melodrama, KINGS ROW enjoys the distinction of featuring a future president of The United States. Millard Fillmore has an unbilled cameo!
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

1942. Six quickly rose to the top for me. Choosing the last four out of a dozen that I enjoy was tough. But here goes:

1. The Palm Beach Story - My favorite Preston Sturges movie, and second only to His Girl Friday in the Screwball category.
2. Cat People - Its many virtues only increase upon repeated viewing.
3. The Magnificent Ambersons - It would be #1 if it weren't for that ending. Robert Wise should be forced to direct something like The Sound of Music as penance.
4. One of Our Aircraft Is Missing - This seems to get lost among Powell's other great movies.
5. Talk of the Town - Grant. Arthur. Love it.
6. Tarzan's New York Adventure - Nostalgic pick. The first Tarzan movie I saw. And not since King Kong has Manhattan ever been so thrilling a setting.
7. The Glass Key - Noir is really starting to take shape.
8. Street of Chance - Speaking of noir, the first adaptation of Cornell Woolrich of significance.
9. All Through the Night - Great cast. Nazis in New York. Comedy noir. What's not to love? [This had a release in December 1941, but premiered in NYC in January 1942.]
10. The Lady Is Willing - Leisen + Dietrich + MacMurray.

If expanded to non-English language films, #1 would be Ossessione.
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

That Tarzan classic may not be one of the all time greats. But how many movies are more fun than this one? Tell me again, why I still haven't seen "One of Our Aircraft"...
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Brother Rat - I loved your opening comments describing what times were like in 1942.

I would have been a movie-going NUT back in 1942. Now maybe it doesn’t sound like a lot, but I’d have seen thirty-two movies that year. Probably more if I could sneak away from school or work. There are a plethora of classics made in 1942 that are still known seventy-two years later. I compiled my list before seeing what others' wrote and I'm pleased to see that some of my favorites are already listed here or some of the same reasons. So here are ten favorites of mine, that I just love and would see over and over again:

“CASABLANCA”

I love this movie. It clicks on all cylinders for me: loyalty, heartache, patriotism. You know the cast, but my standouts are Ingrid Bergman - luminous. Humphrey Bogart - wears his heart on his sleeve and is on a real emotional roller coaster ride. It’s one thing to do the right thing. It’s another thing to shred your heart to pieces doing the right thing. < Sniff! >

“THE GAY SISTERS”

Stanwyck is on the light side in this drama ( with humorous moments ) as one of three sisters embroiled in a long financial legal battle. I chuckle at how they explain away one of the sister’s ( Geraldine Fitzgerald ) having a Irish/ British accent. Stanwyck is the oldest daughter who goes head to head with her old nemesis ( and frequent co-star ) George Brent in matters both legal and love. This is one of my favorite Stanwyck films.

“IN THIS OUR LIFE”

When Bette’s bad...she’s very very bad. And she’s very very very baaad in this our movie. I love bad Bette. She’s a wild girl and nobody’s safe. She steals her sister’s husband. The husband is wavy-haired Dennis Morgan and the sister is Olivia deHavilland. She lets her maid’s son, law student Parry, take the blame for a hit and run accident of a little boy.

ERNEST ANDERSON as Parry - xoxoxo
He appears years later in "...Baby Jane?"

She even accepts her Uncle’s previous “proposition” ( eeeewwww Charles Coburn ) in order to buy her way out of trouble. Hurricane Bette is all over the place, causing her family agita and destruction as only Bette Davis can. Which is why I love her. Which is why I love this film. She is very very baaad.

“THE MUMMY’S TOMB”

Why is this on my list? Isn’t the sleek serpentine Turhan Bey enough? Besides, I love cheap mindless fun monster movies. So don’t be surprised if you see “The Mummy’s...Hand, Curse and Ramsay Ames’ Ghost” on future lists.

There were many gorgeous couples that served as eye candy in the films I’ve seen from 1942. Power & Tierney, Payne & O’Hara, Taylor w/Lana and Ladd & Lake are among the couples with fantastic chemistry and teaming. Add Garson & Pidgeon to the mix. But I have to go with the maturity of these two grown-ups in:

“WOMAN OF THE YEAR”

I think the casting is sublime. Tracy & Hepburn. Alliteratively speaking they’re two towering talents competing in the oldest game in the world - the battle of the sexes. Their characters ( sportswriter/foreign correspondent ) come from two different worlds and don’t quite fit in each other’s. They have equal strengths and I’m glad Hepburn does not subjugate or is apologetic about her strengths. ( And you know what that means, girls. ) But LOVE will find a way. A seriously smartly written comedy. With Fay Bainter sprinkling her usual brilliance.

“NOW, VOYAGER”

Bette Davis is nice again. In fact if this were a Pedro Almodovar film she'd be a "SPINSTER: ON THE VERGE OF A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN WITH HEAVY EYEBROWS." In Claude Rains' able hands she's on the upside of recovery and had her eyebrows threaded. She’s being sent on a cruise to spread her wings and meet Love head on. Love with a married man wasn't quite what the doctor ordered... But it’s nothing two cigarettes and some Kleenex can’t cure. :cry:

“RANDOM HARVEST”

In 1942 I’m a cockeyed romantic. The proof is in the putdding with “Random Harvest.” Garson is beautiful and Colman rather dashing. What a twist, building a life with man whose memory is gone, and when he regains it, he’s gone. How to get him back. How ...how...how. Ahhh the romance of it all. "Smithy!"

“GEORGE WASHINGTON SLEPT HERE”

This move is straight up hilarity. City dwellers move into the country. And everything goes wrong. You’ve seen it before. You’ll see it again when the Blandings move in six years later.

“TARZAN’S NEW YORK ADVENTURE”

Simply......that jump from the Brooklyn Bridge.

“RIDE ‘EM COWBOY”

How can I leave out my boys. Last year they were flyboys, this year they're cowboys. Same hijinks with Indian squaws and singing cowboys, rodeos and Ella, tisketing and tasketing for a momentary cameo in the back of the bus. Sue me. I like it all.

Honorary Mention:

“THE MAJOR AND THE MINOR”

Like “Tootsie” or “Victor Victoria” taking on another identity is funny...and dangerous when people’s emotions become involved. Ginger can pull it off. Ray Milland falls for the little girl, I mean the woman who he thinks is a little girl but there’s something about her...Diana Lynn is as smart as a whip. And then there’s those hormone-raging cadets Ginger has to deal with. It’s cute all-round.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

It's hard not to love CASABLANCA. Even people who don't like old movies like this one. Not my favorite. Not my second favorite. But it's drama, romance, patriotism and sacrifice. It's the perfect story! RANDOM HARVEST is a movie for grown-ups. Mature, literate, no easy solutions. Sublimely played by actors with depth and conviction. Maybe the finest work by both stars. WOMAN OF THE YEAR may, or may not, be the team's best pairing. But you've said a Cine-mouthful! These are not bachelors and bobby soxers. These are strong, stubborn, confident adults. When they go head to head, there's a storm brewing!

THE GAY SISTERS? Don't get my brother started on the conspiracy of lesbians!
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

RED RIVER...you are an absolute HOOOOT! ( Pssst! Tell your brother he is safe. ) I like your short pithy comments here.

Cine-Mouthful??? I've got to start keeping a list of your aliases for me. :lol:
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I've got to start keeping a list of your aliases for me

You can commit them to Cine-memory! I forgot to mention the witty GEORGE WASHINGTON SLEPT HERE, a movie that, were it not for TCM, would be entirely forgotten. A faithful, and remarkably well-timed adaptation of the Kaufman and Hart play, this clever piece is yet another indicator that Mr. Kaufman practically invented American comedy! His work transitioned into The Marx Brothers, inspired the likes of Woody Allen and Neil Simon, and (I think) gave birth to the TV sit-com. Not through direct involvement, but his influence is all over the format.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

One of the rare times I've heard mention of GWSH is in one of the John Wayne military movies. I believe it's OPERATION PACIFIC. Two American ships come within shouting distance. They attempt to trade items. We'll give you such and such if you'll give us a movie. The movie on board is GEORGE WASHINGTON SLEPT HERE!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

One of Our Aircraft is Missing is terrific.

Red, I love George Washington slept here, especially the scene where Percy Kilbride gets drunk with Ann Sheridan and Jack Benny. It's a hoot!

And I LOVE it when movies mention other movies, usually made at the same studio.
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

1943. All gems. I actually had more "Got to include"s than "honorable mentions".

1. The Leopard Man - Tourneur + Woolrich, with Lewton encouraging a different form of Horror
2. The Seventh Victim - Robson's best? Thank you, Mr. Lewton
3. I Walked with a Zombie - Tourneur. And Lewton. Again.
4. No Time for Love
5. Heaven Can Wait
6. Cabin in the Sky
7. The More the Merrier
8. The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp
9. Hangmen Also Die!
10. Journey Into Fear - Regardless of who really directed it.

Just missing (barely): Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man; Shadow of a Doubt; The Ox-Bow Incident; The Fallen Sparrow

And, again, if non-English language movies were a part of the ritual, #1 would be Day of Wrath.