Ben Johnson

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
pvitari

Re: Ben Johnson

Post by pvitari »

Today (Sunday, April 8) is the 16th anniversary of Ben's death.

He had been scheduled to host his Pro-Celebrity Rodeo in May but with his passing, the great singer and Oklahoma native Reba McEntire assumed hosting duties. The event was dedicated in Ben's honor and later broadcast on TNN. A description of the Pro-Celebrity Rodeo was published in The Tulsa World newspaper, which included this moving moment: "More than 5,000 people sat in rapt attention at the Lazy E Arena in Guthrie as Strike, Johnson's horse, stood saddled but riderless in a spotlight surrounded by Johnson's nephews, John and Ben Miller, grandnephew Trey Miller and grandniece Mary Ann Miller. A few yards away, under a smaller spotlight, singer-songwriter-producer Red Steagall sang 'My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys,' closing with the words, 'Especially Ben Johnson.' " Here is the link to the entire article:

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article. ... rchive=yes

And here is a publicity photo for the broadcast.
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Monday's photo.

And, because I know you all always wanted to see Ben in a racing car helmet... here he is. :)

MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Nice shot!
I watched (most of) Hard Ground yesterday, it was good fun. I'd seen it a long time ago before I was too aware of who Ben was. Needless to say, I appreciated it much more this time. :)
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Ben was in Hard Ground?
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

isn't that what it was called? i missed the beginning so maybe I have the wrong title. the one with Selleck and Katharine Ross.
-- Will Rogers
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

The one with Tom Selleck and Katharine Ross is The Shadow Riders. ;) From a Louis L'Amour novel of the same name.

Actually looking more closely, Hard Ground is from 2003 so there's no way Ben could be in it. It's a television western starring Burt Reynolds. Here's the synopsis from the IMDB:

"Billy Bucklin escapes while being transported to Yuma prison and plans to form an army of desperadoes to control the Mexican border. To finance his band, he robs a stagecoach, kidnaps a beautiful woman to be sold into prostitution, and steals an army payroll wagon. An aging lawman persuades the governor to parole his brother-in-law, now serving a 20-year prison term for murder, to assist him and his green deputy to destroy the marauders."
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I saw Hard Ground on a promo for upcoming movies on Encore, maybe it was not for the same day. I remember this movie more now that you say it's based on an LL novel. I tried to get into his books starting with this one but they just didn't click with me.
-- Will Rogers
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Tuesday photo. This is the last of the Sugarland Express publicity stills I have. I know of one more out there so maybe I'll add that to the collection some day.

pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Well, tomorrow I gotta pack and then early Thursday it's off to Hollywood for you know what festival, so the photo below is my last post on the Ben webpage until next week sometime. With my destination in mind, I decided the appropriate picture to put on the webpage for the week would be one of Ben probably at a film festival, in the company of an unidentified (and no doubt thrilled) fan. ;) I'm guessing early to mid 80s based on Ben's appearance, that big tie, and the fan's glasses. My hubby had glasses just like that back in the early 80s! I love Ben's suit... I remember a quote from Harry Carey Jr. stating that Ben always dressed like a million dollars.

pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Back from the TCM festival and too pooped to pop but I had to update the Ben page...! By the way, they had four John Wayne pics at the festival and I got to see three (The Longest Day, How the West Was Won -- at the Cinerama Dome -- and Rio Bravo... sadly, had to miss The Searchers because it was scheduled at the same time as Wings. GRRRR).

Keep scrolling down, I have several things to mention. ;)

In getting ready for the trip, I completely forgot to post on April 10 that it was the 40th anniversary of Ben's winning his Oscar! Quel embarrassment! -- but better late than never, here's a pic to celebrate. Then scroll down below the pic for some DVD news.

DVD news... they're releasing the third season of Bonanza on DVD on July 17, in two volumes. Ben's first Bonanza episode, "The Gamble" should be on vol. 2. Unfortunately his second and third Bonanza episodes weren't until seasons 10 and 12, so who knows when we'll see those on DVD! Also, a confirmed release date for War Drums. The date is April 24. Unfortunately once again MGM is just putting an old master onto DVD so it will be open matte, i.e., 4:3 fullscreen rather than the 1:85 aspect ratio used in theaters when the movie was released in 1957. A situation where beggars can't be choosers but jeez, it just drives me nuts that MGM just doesn't seem to care, when Warners and Sony are so meticulous about remastering to make sure the film is presented properly on their MOD discs. No art work yet for War Drums.

Finally, I can't resist typing up this from an article about Ben by Gregory Walcott, an actor who worked with him on The Sugarland Express. This was in the Summer 1996 issue of Films of the Golden Age. (Eventually I will scan in the entire article.) As a dog lover, all I can say is... the prime purpose of a bed is to let a doggie sleep with his mommy and daddy!

"During the filming of Sugarland Express, the company stayed at the Holiday Inn in San Antonio. Usually after supper, I would see Ben walking a white, meticulously trimmed poodle around the parking lot. One day I said to him, 'Ben, that's a mighty pretty dog.'

"Ben winched [sic], then chuckled, 'Years ago, I thought only sissies had dogs like these, and I wouldn't be seen near one of 'em. But my wife talked me into gettin' one -- much to my objections. But the little rascal kinda grows on you, and now he sleeps in bed with us!' "

LOL -- of course, where else would one's doggie baby sleep? :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

P.S. I got kissed by a French bulldog in the Atlanta airport today. :) I stopped in at the Ladies' after deplaning and found a woman there with a French bulldog on a pink leash. The French bulldog had been shipped to her on a flight and she had just picked her up. I bent down to say hello to the little Frenchie and she immediately jumped up on my leg and gave me a nice big Frenchie (not "French"!) kiss. Made me even more anxious to get home to my English bulldog Charlie -- who did plant plenty of kisses on my kisser after I walked in the door. Sheer bliss! (If you're not a dog lover, you may not understand the appeal of a doggie kiss.) ;)
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Poor Ben! Nice to have you back, paula! Hope you had a great time!
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Just posted... screencaps from Corky (1972).

So this is one of a slew of racing movies released in the 1960s and 70s, which varied from fancy big budget pics starring people like Steve McQueen and James Garner, to little Southern indie exploitation flicks shown at the drive-in.

Corky was kind of in-between, as it was from MGM, starred Robert Blake, featured cameos by a bunch of famous racers and was filmed at raceways in Texas and Atlanta. But it had a very troubled production, the studio imposed cuts and a different ending, it was barely released (mostly to drive-ins) and faded away. Despite all this, it's actually a pretty good movie. And Ben had known Robert Blake since the 1940s when Blake played Little Beaver in Republic's Red Ryder westerns and Ben had doubled frequently for the Red Ryder series star, "Wild" Bill Elliott. His role in Corky is barely more than a cameo, though. Dig those big 70s sideburns! ;) Corky was shot in Panavision which means a very wide frame of 2:35:1 but my DVD was recorded off a TV broadcast where the picture was cut down to what looks to be 1:78., i.e., it's cropped -- not as much as if it were cropped to 4:3 (old square TV fullscreen) but still... Plus it looks very dark. The rights now belong to Warner and when I asked about a release at the Warner Archive Collection Facebook page, they said they need to do a new 16x9 master (i.e., so it can be seen finally in the correct Panavision aspect ratio). Which means, who knows when it will appear as they have a huge backlog of films that require remastering. But we might see it someday. Meanwhile... here is a sample of the screencaps from my less than perfect TV broadcast. :)

The one with the racing helmet again. :)

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Am I the only person to actually still like Robert Blake? I've always thought he was a pretty great actor.
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

As an actor, I've always liked Robert Blake a whole heck of a lot. He was great in In Cold Blood and Baretta. I should add he's excellent in Corky too.

As a human being -- I'd rather not think about it. :)
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Maybe that's better. :D