cinemalover: Confessions of a Video Junkie

Chit-chat, current events
cinemalover

The Corpse Bride Review #223

Post by cinemalover »

Last Friday was another wonderful Friday Family Foursome night. We began the evening at the delicious King Wha's Chinese restaurant. This whole new family thing is working out very well as the kids adjust to having Karie in the house (and vice versa). We then proceeded to the flick du jour, hand-picked by the children of the house. They chose....

Date watched:7/27/2007
Title: The Corpse Bride Made: 2005
Genre: Animated/Musical/Comedy Studio: Warner Brothers
Format: DVD Extras: Loaded
# of times viewed: 2

Directors: Tim Burton/Mike Johnson
Score: Danny Elfman (regular colaborator with Tim Burton)

Stars (voices):
Johnny Depp--Victor Van Dort
Helena Bonham Carter--Corpse Bride
Emily Watson--Victoria Everglot
Tracey Ullman--Neil Van Dort/Hildegarde
Paul Whitehouse--William Van Dort/Mayhew/Paul, the Head Waiter
Joanna Lumley--Maudeline Everglot
Richard E. Grant--Barkis Bittern
Christopher Lee--Pastor Galswells
Michael Gough--Elder Gutknecht
Albert Finney--Finis Everglot

Taglines:
Loving you is like loving the dead.

There's been a grave misunderstanding.

A delightfully morbid tale in the same vein as Charles Addams' original cartoons and Tim Burton's earlier animated effort, A Nightmare Before Christmas(1993). No deathly pun is safe or joke too macabre in the deceased environment of the Corpse Bride. In a reversal of the norm the living world is entirely cast in somber blue tones and it's only when we visit the underworld land of the dead that everything is portrayed in "living color". In the tradition of many great animated features the plot is often advanced by elaborate song and dance routines (the dancing skeleton scene is fantastic).

The basic plot involves young Victor Van Dort (Depp), who is about to be wed to Victoria Everglot (Watson) in a marriage arranged by her parents to hide the fact that they are teetering on financial ruin. During the wedding rehearsal Victor is unable to get his vows correct and slinks off to the forest to practice. When he finally gets his lines right he slips the ring onto a twig to represent a finger. The gnarly twig turns out to be the Corpse Bride's finger who now assumes that she is married to Victor. She pulls Victor down to the land of the dead and the madness begins.

The movie is filled with visual puns and repeated viewings will undoubtedly reveal new laughs. It is as fun-filled an adventure as it could be dealing with the topic of death. To its credit it doesn't glamorize death as the Corpse Bride is filled with maggots and a talking worm that becomes her advisor. Corpses walk around with swords imbedded or bodies lost (see Paul, the HEAD Waiter). If you've ever seen Beetlejuice you know what a vivid imagination Mr. Burton can produce centered around the afterlife. Not for all tastes, and may be disturbing to some younger children, but mine both loved it (ages 8 and 15).

Karie's beautiful-new-bride-meter ZZZzzzzzzzzz Once again Karie's long work week didn't allow her to stay awake for the whole movie. She has seen it before and like it though.

Tina's teen-meter 8* (out of 10) Tina really enjoyed the songs, especially the humorous ones.

Jeremy-meter 8* (out of 10) Jeremy enjoyed the grotesque aspects of the film, such as the Corpse Bride's eye falling out and rolling around before she picks it up and pops it back in.

7* (out of 10) This was the second time I've seen the film and I must have been in a more receptive mood this time around. My memories of my first viewing were not as strong as this time. I enjoyed it and the animation was incredible, the songs were fun and Danny Elfman always produces a nifty score.
Last edited by cinemalover on May 8th, 2008, 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

The only bad movie is no movie at all.
cinemalover

Flying Wild Review #224

Post by cinemalover »

Date watched:7/29/2007
Title:Flying Wild Made: 1941
Genre: Comedy Studio:Monogram
Format: DVD-R Source: TCM
# of times viewed: First

Stars:
Leo Gorcey--Muggs McGinnis
Bobby Jordan--Danny Graham
Donald Haines--Skinny
David Gorcey--Peewee
Bobby Stone--Louie
Ernest Morrison--Scruno
Eugene Francis--Algy
Joan Barclay--Helen Munson
Dave O'Brien--Tom Lawson
Herbert Rawlinson--Mr. Reynolds
George Pembroke--Dr. Richard Nagel
Forrest Taylor--Mr. Forbes
Dennis Moore--George
Robert F. Hill--Mr. Woodward

Tagline: There's a laugh and thrill each second...as slum kids turn "aero-nuts" to battle saboteurs for Uncle Sam!

Plot: The East Side Kids are helping the war effort (the film is listed as a March 10, 1941 release, so it's very early war effort, pre-Pearl Harbor) by working in an aviation factory. All of them except their leader, Muggs McGinnis (L. Gorcey), who is above manual labor, but not above harassing his gang while they try to work. Muggs hounds his gang mercilessly, stealing what he wants from their lunchboxes and always yelling. The Muggs character is always obnoxious but this film really misses out on not having Huntz Hall in the cast, who is a goof-ball counterpoint to Muggs' meanness.

While Muggs is snooping around while his buds are hard at work he stumbles across an experimental "Flying Ambulence" aircraft. Normally he wouldn't pay much attention to the plane but it is owned by Dr. Richard Nagel (Pembroke) who has an attractive nurse, Helen (Barclay), working for him. Helen has caught Muggs' eye and imagination so he finds excuses to hang around the Doctor's office. While there he overhears conversations that the doctor is having with some suspicious looking gentlemen. Muggs is convinced that these men are part of a saboteur/spy ring out to hurt America. Muggs rallies the East Side troops and goes all patriotic on the doctor and company.

The East Side Kids films are guilty pleasures for me, some much more so than others. This one is lower-tier but still has its moments. The quality of the print was inconsistent as there were several skips in the prints due to missing frames, sometimes affecting the dialogue. One thing that the films are noted for is Muggs' ability to fracture the English language. One example from the film:
Danny (Jordan), "It's gettin' hot, ain't it?"
Muggs, "Yeah, the humility is gettin' kinda' low!"

4* (out of 10) Paging Huntz Hall...paging Huntz Hall...could you please join the cast?
Last edited by cinemalover on May 8th, 2008, 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

cinemalover

Underdog Volume I Review #225

Post by cinemalover »

The old television cartoon, Underdog, just had three volumes released on DVD in conjunction with the release of the new Underdog movie. The original cartoon aired starting in 1964 and was a favorite of mine as a kid, so when I saw these discs hit the sales floor I couldn't resist taking a little trip down memory lane...

Date watched:7/31/2007
Title: Underdog Volume 1: The Perils of Sweet Polly Made: 1964
Genre: Television Cartoon Studio: Total Television
Format: DVD Extras: Interview with UD's creator, The Underdog Show's family of characters.
# of times viewed: 4 (but first time in almost 40 years)

Voice Stars:
Wally Cox--Underdog/ Shoeshine boy
Norma MacMillan--"Sweet" Polly Purebred
Kenny Delmar--The Hunter/Col. Kit Coyote/ Commander McBragg, etc...
Allan Swift--Simon Bar-Sinister/ Riff-Raff/ Odie, etc...
Ben Stone--Cad/The Fox
Sandy Becker--The Sergeant/Ruffled Feathers, etc...
George S. Irving--Narrator/Running Board
Don Adams--Tennessee Tuxedo
Larry Storch--Phineas J. Whoopee
Bradley Bolke--Chumley

The Underdog Shows were half hour toons that each had two episodes of Underdog surrounding a couple of other toons from their extensive list of supporting characters. The filler toons included Hunter, Gogo Gophers, Klondike Kat, Tennessee Tuxedo, Tooter Turtle and more. A standard Underdog tale was divided into four parts, so a complete tale was told over two episodes.

On this disc 6 Underdog episodes are included which has these three complete Underdog stories:
The Dipper
The Gold Bricks
Fearo the Ferocious

"There's no need to fear, Underdog is here!"

The Dipper
Underdog's greatest nemesis, Simon Bar-Sinister, invents the Big Dipper to dry up every ounce of water on the planet, except what he keeps for himself to sell at outrageous prices.

The Gold Bricks
Riff Raff (public enemy number one) and his sidekick, Mooch, plan on stealing a shipment of goldbricks valued at one billion dollars. The gold is being transported by Underdog who is driving an armored car. Underdog (who always speaks in rhyme), "When handling gold I am not slow, It's hip, hip, hip and away I go!" Riff Raff tricks UD by switching trucks on him thereby causing UD to get blamed for the missing gold.

Underdog ends up behind bars, "I obey the laws in all the books, but if I'm in jail I can't catch crooks!"

Sweet Poly Purebred must try to clear UD's name, but only finds herself in danger.

Fearo the Ferocious
Tv ratings are bad at Polly's TV station so she is sent to report on a mission to a mysterious island where the world's scariest monster, Fearo the Ferocious (a giant ape) lives. The mission is to capture him and bring him back to display in the big city (shades of King Kong!).

Once Fearo is brought back safely and chained on a big stage for all to see, Fay Wray (I mean Polly) is set to feed Fearo when he busts loose. Underdog must come to the rescue.

These toons are a lot of fun. The voices of Wally Cox as UD is outstanding. Don Adams makes a great Tennessee Tuxedo. The limited animation is terrible but the spirit of the show makes it a very entertaining time. Much of the humor is in dumb puns, but I couldn't help myself but to laugh.

7* (out of 10) As a kid I remember watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade on TV and the giant Underdog float was always my favorite.
Last edited by cinemalover on May 8th, 2008, 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

cinemalover

Devil Dogs of the Air Review #226

Post by cinemalover »

I had a nice three day weekend to spend part of with my brother and his family visiting from New York. So Friday Family Foursome night was spent eating and socializing, no movie last Friday. Much of the rest of the weekend was spent taking my beautiful wife out to celebrate her birthday. So there haven't been too many movies in the last few days so I'll have to get busy. Here's one I slipped in yesterday....

Date watched:8/5/2007
Title:Devil Dogs of the Air Made: 1935
Genre: Drama Studio: Cosmopolitan Productions

Stars:
James Cagney--Tommy O'Toole
Pat O'Brien--Lt. William "Bill" Brannigan
Margaret Lindsay--Betty Roberts
Frank McHugh--Crash Kelly
John Arledge--Mac MacIntosh
Helen Lowell--Ma Roberts
Robert Barrat--Commandant
Russell Hicks--Captain
Ward Bond--Jimmy
Bill Elliott--Instructor

Tagline: Bigger than "Here Comes the Navy"!

Plot: Cagney and O'Brien scored big as buddies in Here Comes the Navy and they try to repeat that success here. Cagney is Tommy O'Toole, a cocky stunt flyer who thinks of himself as God's gift to aviation. His friend Bill (O'Brien) is Lt. William Brannigan in the Marines, assigned to the aerial division. Bill invites Tommy to come join the Marines and fly for his country. Tommy arrives with a big splash (including, we're told, pink britches as part of his flying attire) by illegally landing his stunt plane on the Marine airfield. Bill has to get him out of there before he gets them both in trouble.

We then watch Tommy as he pays no attention to any of the training he's receiving because he knows it all. In fact he continually tells them that he "could fly the crates that the planes come in" if he had the chance. He's not satisfied with annoying all his fellow Marines, he also has to hit on Betty (Lindsay) who works at the Happy Landings Cafe. He continues his obnoxious flirting even after he finds out that Betty is Bill's girl.

The rest of the story revolves around the training exercises, including the "exciting" finale where Bill and Tommy must overlook their differences to work in unison to survive an accident.

Frank McHugh as Crash Kelly is around for the "comic" relief. He is an ambulance driver who roots for the fliers to crash so that he will have something to do. He also seems to break out in song on a moment's notice, for no apparent reason. I'm not sure how popular he would have been on a Marine base.

Jimmy and pat are the whole show. Cagney plays the type of cocky, self-absorbed character that he plays so well. He is constantly laughing at and about everything and everybody. When he laughs it's like a rooster crowing, making him a regular cock o' the walk. O'Brien is the stable, mature (older brother type) member of the team. If you enjoy these two (and I do) than you'll have some fun with the picture. Otherwise the plot is wafer thin and you'll only have some outstanding aerial photography to keep you interested.

6* (out of 10) It's the Jimmy and Pat show, new character names, same old formula. Look for one of my favorite character actors, Ward Bond, in a small role.
Last edited by cinemalover on May 8th, 2008, 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

cinemalover

Blondie Brings Up Baby Review #227

Post by cinemalover »

You go never go wrong going back to Blondie....

Blondie Volume 1 contains the following movies:
Blondie 1938
Blondie Meets the Boss 1939
Blondie Takes a Vacation 1939
Blondie Brings Up Baby 1939
Blondie on a Budget 1940

Date watched:8/5/2007
Title: Blondie Brings Up Baby Made: 1938
Genre: Comedy Studio: Paramount
Format: DVD Extras: None

Cast:
Penny Singleton--Blondie Dagwood
Arthur Lake--Dagwood Bumstead
Larry Simms--Baby Dumpling
Jonathon Hale--J.C. Dithers
Daisy--Herself
Robert Middlemass--Abner Cartwright
Olin Howland--Encyclopedia Salesman
Fay Helm--Mrs. Fuddle
Peggy Ann Gardner--Melinda Mason
Roy Gordon--Mr. Mason

Tagline: Baby goes to school...and you go into stitches!

From the catchy theme song: What a family....Incredible!....Bumsteadible!

Plot: A door to door encyclopedia salesman (Howland) gives Baby Dumpling (Simms) and Alvin (Mummert) an IQ test at the Bumstead home. Blondie (Singleton) is thrilled when the salesman tells Blondie that the smarty pants Alvin was outscored by her own Baby Dumpling (the salesman obviously knows whose house he is in and how to make a sale!). In fact, according to the salesman, Baby Dumpling scored in the genius range! Blondie of course orders a set of encyclopedias but also decides that she needs to immediately enroll BD in a school for gifted children.

Meanwhile at the Dithers Construction Company poor dimwit Dagwood (Lake) is used in a scheme by one of their clients to default on a project, costing J.C. Dithers (Hale) a bundle. It couldn't be a Blondie movie unless Dagwood gets fired at least once, so of course he does.

If that's not enough plot options, the Bumstead's dog, Daisy (herself!) gets picked up by a dog catcher. This sets the whole family on a desperate search to find Daisy. Baby Dumpling gets so depressed about Daisy's absence that he strikes out on his own, without telling his parents what he's doing. Now Blondie and Dagwood are worried sick about what happened to their baby!

Baby Dumpling finds Daisy in a mansion's yard, playing with the crippled Melinda (Garner). The girl's nanny had picked up Daisy at the pound for Melinda since her strict parents don’t allow her to interact with other children.

Baby Dumpling doesn't take kindly to a girl having his dog, "You're a girl! I don't like girls!"
Melinda, "Why?"
BD, "I don't know why. I learned it in school!"

Daisy and Baby Dumpling end up having a positive influence on the crippled Melinda which leads to an unusually sentimental finale.

7* (out of 10) These are a big guilty pleasure for me. The cast is just so perfect in their roles that I can't help but enjoy their interactions. An excellent series that deserves more current exposure on television.
Last edited by cinemalover on May 8th, 2008, 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

cinemalover

Guns and Guitars Review #228

Post by cinemalover »

Date watched:8/6/2007
Title: Guns and Guitars Made: 1936
Genre: Western Studio: Republic
Format: DVD-R Source: Western Channel

Stars:
Gene Autry--Himself
Smiley Burnette--Frog Millhouse
Dorothy Dix--Marjorie Miller
Earle Hodgins--"Doctor" Parker
J.P. McGowan--Dave Morgan
Champion--Himself
Tom London--Conners
Charles King--Sam
Frankie Marvin--Shorty
Eugene Jackson--Eightball
Jack Rockwell--Sheriff Ed Miller
Ken Cooper--Deputy

Plot: There is Texas Cattle Fever (hoof and mouth disease) affecting the herds in several Texas counties. Those areas have been quarantined to protect the surrounding herds from catching the disease. Dave Morgan (McGowan) and Conners (London), owners of some of the infected cattle, are completely unscrupulous and want to drive their cows to market and sell them to unsuspecting buyers. In order to do that they need to drive the cattle through Colima County (one of the unaffected counties) to the train yards.

Marjorie Miller (Dix), daughter of Sheriff Ed Miller (Rockwell), sees the herds being driven towards the county border and greets them with a shotgun. Instead of engaging in gunplay to get their herd through Colima County, Morgan and Conners hire a fake veterinarian to convince the townsfolk that hoof and mouth disease is not contagious and that it won't affect their cattle. “Doctor” Parker (Hodgins) and his traveling snake oil and music show happens to be in town. The show includes lead singer Gene Autry and his buddy Frog Millhouse (Burnette). Doctor Parker embarrasses the "vet" by countering all his claims and making him look like a fool, much to the townsfolk’s delight.

With their first plot foiled, Morgan and Conners resort to ambushing Sheriff Miller and shooting him in the back. They assume that with the Sherriff out of their way they'll be able to bully the town into whatever they want. But not so fast, you bad men. The town rallies and elects a new sheriff almost immediately. And who better for the job than some visitor whom they don't know very well, yes, it's Sheriff Gene Autry! 'Cause if you can sing in this town, you must be tough enough to be the sheriff!

This entry is actually a lot of fun. It is early in Autry's career and he still looks relatively fit (he got kind of roly-poly as the years advanced). Burnette isn't overly obnoxious and is relegated to the background more than usual due to Earle Hodgins' as Doctor Parker, snake oil salesman supreme. Hodgins steals the limelight when he's given any lines and is positively slimy fun.

7* (out of 10) Superior Autry vehicle, strong supporting cast and a plot that is not completely cookie cutter.
Last edited by cinemalover on May 8th, 2008, 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

cinemalover

Meeting at Midnight Review #229

Post by cinemalover »

Date watched:8/6/2007
Title: Meeting at Midnight (Black Magic) Made: 1944
Genre: Mystery Studio: Monogram

Stars:
Sidney Toler--Charlie Chan
Frances Chan--#1 Daughter
Mantan Moreland--Birmingham Brown
Joseph Crehan--Police Sgt. Matthews
Helen Beverly--Norma Duncan
Jacqueline DeWit--Justine Bonner
Geraldine Wall--Harriet Green
Ralph Peters--Officer Rafferty
Frank Jaquet--Paul Hamlin
Claudia Dell--Vera Starkey
Harry Depp--Charles Edwards
Dick Gordon--William Bonner

Taglines:
Chan stalks a fiendish murderer!

Science traps a killer!

Plot: During a séance run by Justine Bonner (DeWit) one of the six participants is murdered. Charlie is called in to discover the guilty party. He is assisted/hindered by his #1 daughter (Frances Chan, who is lovely to look at but has the acting range of a wooden spoon) and his employee Birmingham Brown (played by the overly animated Mantan Moreland, who knows where the camera is every second of every scene).

During the course of his investigation Charlie reveals to his aids how they manage to create spooks for these fake séances. Charlie tells them, "Most modern spooks, they converse to Mrs. Bonner through microphone!" The other séance props, like trap doors and suspended skeletons, give Moreland an excuse to pull out his entire bag of tricks. He reacts (and over-acts) to every possible scary situation. When he mugs his eyes bulge so far out of his head as to defy gravity. I half expected to see them pop out and roll around on the floor before he'd pick them up and pop them back in.

Birmingham tries to learn some tricks of his own, and he thinks that he's mastered the art of disappearing.
Birmingham (while snapping his fingers), "Abra Cadabra! Abra Cadabra!"
Cop, "You can't make anything disappear by snapping your fingers!"
Birmingham, "Then how come every time I snap my fingers and say "come seven!", all my money disappears?"

The plot is razor thin but unravels at a quick enough pace to distract. This is a late entry in the long running Chan series and the show had lost much of its spark and was relegated to Monogram's microscopic budgets. Moreland is allowed more screen time and the story becomes more about comedy than mystery. Very few "Chanisms" spouted in this one, even the writers were suffering from burnout.

This print was very sharp. The blacks were deep and the whites very crisp.

6* (out of 10) If you enjoy Chan then you'll get enough kick out of this one to make it worth a watch. If you're not a Chan fan yet start with the ones starring Warner Oland to gain an appreciation before stepping down to the Toler entries.
Last edited by cinemalover on May 8th, 2008, 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

cinemalover

Wild Wild West Review #230

Post by cinemalover »

Date watched: 8/7/2007
Title: The Wild Wild West TV Show Made: 1966-67
Genre: Western/Spy Studio: CBS-Paramount
Format: DVD Extras-This is the complete Series 2--28 episodes
# of times viewed: 5

Season 2 Episode 16 Original Air Date: 1/13/1967
The Night of the Feathered Fury

Stars:
Robert Conrad--James "Jim" West
Ross Martin--Artemus "Arte" Gordon
Guest stars:
Victor Buono--Count Manzeppi
Michele Carey--Gerda Sharff
Perry Lopez--Dodo
George Murdock--Luther
Hideo Imamura--Benji
Oliver McGowan--Col. Armstrong
Audrey Lowell--Wanda

Plot: Victor Buono returns as the mysterious, and sometimes magical, Count Manzeppi (Count Manzeppi was in the first episode of the second season, The Night of the Inferno 19-17-66. Buono also guest starred in the first season as Wing Fat and Juan Manolo.). This time the Count is desperately seeking a toy wind-up chicken! He is assisted by three henchmen, each with a deadly specialty, Dodo (Lopez), Luther (Murdock) and Benji (Imamura). There is also the duplicitous Gerda (Carey), who can't make up her mind whether she's working with the Count or betraying him to steal the chicken for herself.

The chicken ends up in Jim's hands which gives the Count a reason to send his killers after him. When Jim is confronted by the three ruffians and his defeat seems assured he is typically calm.
Jim, "Kismet! What will be, will be. I believe a man's destiny is written in the stars!"
As he's saying this he is cutting a rope that is holding up a large Star-shaped light that then crashes down on top of Dodo and Luther.

Inevitably Jim does get caught by the villain, which allows the Count to explain why he is after the toy chicken:
Count, "What is the big attraction, you ask? It lays these kind of eggs!" (Heholds up a handful of golden bolts).
Jim, "Nuts and bolts of solid gold?"
Count, "And this....and this! (Pulling out more golden bolts) A few nights ago these homely little objects were made of iron. I, myself, placed them beside the chicken by the light of the full moon, you understand, for that is a basic prerequisite, and before my very eyes they changed to purest gold!"

It turns out that the legendary Philosopher's Stone is hidden within the chicken. This stone has the Midas touch when set next to an item in the light of the full moon. But be careful not to touch the stone yourself when the full moon is out, it won't be a werewolf that you transform into!

Jim refuses to reveal the whereabouts of the toy chicken so the Count orders Benji to skin Jim alive until he talks. His final advice to Benji as he's about to begin the skinning, "He's apt to prove unpleasantly athletic. Have Luther and Dodo lend you a hand. Mr. West....enjoy!"

Arte gets to disguise himself as an Organ Grinder and as Uncle Heinzie, who invirtes himself into the Count's lair to free Jim. He uses a seltzer bottle filled with sleeping liquid to get past the henchmen.

9* (out of 10) For the series.
9* (out of 10) For this episode. Victor Buono is a very colorful villain with his own style of pizzaz. The Count uses a mechanical toy shop as his hideout which lends itself to several interesting visuals. A fun story from beginning to end with an interesting fantasy angle. The viewer is never quite sure if the Count actually has mystical powers or is just a trickster.
Last edited by cinemalover on May 8th, 2008, 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

cinemalover

American dreamz Review #231

Post by cinemalover »

Last night Karie and I had an opportunity to sit down together and watch a new movie. The kids are on vacation with their Mom for 10 days so the house has been much more quiet than usual, and I keep having to remember to feed Tina's fish!

Date watched:8/8/2007
Title: American Dreamz Made: 2006
Genre: Comedy Studio: Universal
Format: DVD Extras: Loaded

Stars:
Hugh Grant--Martin Tweed (is it just me, or does Hugh play basically the same character in every movie?)
Dennis Quaid--Presiident Staton
Mandy Moore--Sally Kendoo
Willem Dafoe--Chief of Staff
Chris Klein--William Williams
Jennifer Coolidge--Martha Kendoo
Sam Golzari--Omer
Marcia Gay Harden--First Lady
Seth Myers--Chet Krogl
John Cho--Ittles
Judy Greer--Accordo
Tony Yalda--Iqbal Riza
Bernard White--Agha Babur
Noureen DeWulf--Shazzy Riza
Shohreh Aghdashloo--Nazneen Riza

Tagline: Imagine a country where the President never reads the newspaper, where the government goes to war for all the wrong reasons, and more people vote for a pop idol than their President.

Plot: American Dreamz is the highest rated show on TV (think blatant rip-off of American Idol, including singers that are deliberate spoofs of past Idol participants). Martin Tweed (Grant) is the no-talent host, famous for being famous (like many of today's "celebrities"). They are preparing for a new season and desperate to stay atop the ratings. Tweed leads the search for this year's contestants that will capture America's imagination. One of their early targets is Sally Kendoo (Moore).

Sally has always wanted to be famous and is ecstatic when she is chosen as a contestant. Her boyfriend, William Williams (Klein), is crazy about her but she's about ready to dump him. Sally tells William why, after pondering the invitation to be on Dreamz, she's not sure it's a good thing. "Any idiot can be on TV. All you've got to do is swap your wife or eat a sheep's anus or something!"

Sally's family convinces her to carry on. Immediately the hanger-ons start appearing out of the woodwork. Chet Krogl (Meyers) shows up and convinces Sally and her mom Martha (Coolidge) that he is the agent that they need to go all the way. He then prepares their strategy for victory.
Chet, "See, people like the whole white trash thing!"
Martha, "But we're not white trash."
Chet, "I know, but look what it did for Britney Spears!"

The other primary contestant is Omer (Golzari), a young man from the middle-east who is living with his cousins, but who has a separate agenda. He has a sleeper cell to report to and they see his competing as a prime opportunity to kill President Staton (Quaid) who will be judging the finale.
Agha Babur (White), Omer's cell leader, "You must get to the championship round! When you are on stage with the President, you will have smuggled in an explosive."
Omer, "What if I don't make it to the final round?"
Agha, "Folks don't call me "the Torturer" because I DON'T like to torture people!"

And in yet another sub-plot in this very convoluted story we find out that President Staton is dumber than sand. His entire campaign has been manipulated by his Chief of Staff (Dafoe). When the President makes an appearance or speech he just repeats the words that his Chief of Staff speaks into a receiver in his ear. But one morning the President wakes up and decides he wants to read a newspaper! (Which he never does). He becomes absorbed with learning and shelters himself in his room for weeks just trying to catch up on all he doesn't know about his country and the world. Previously, in his Presidential briefings all the information had been presented to him in the form of comic books so he could follow it.
President, "Maybe it is time I read newspapers. I've learned a lot this morning. It turns out North Korea and Iran are not like Doctor Octopus and Magneto at all!"

All the plotlines converge at the final round of American Dreamz. There are several real laughs in the movie. The story does a great job of spoofing the whole reality TV phase and to what lengths people will go to to win instant fame. The biggest drawback to the movie is with so many sub-plots there isn't enough time for some of the talented participants to shine. Dafoe is really wasted as the conniving Chief of Staff. Dennis Quaid is capable of excellent performances, but this character is such a cardboard cutout that you may has well have a a complete no-name in the role. Grant gets to play the self-absorbed "hey look at me" type of character that he seems to play in everything he's in (at least he has the part mastered!). Mandy Moore as Sally Kendoo is a highlight, and the real-life singer does a respectable job on the acting side.

Karie's beautiful-new-bride meter 5* (out of 10) Karie has watched American Idol in the past (I've never seen more than two minutes of it) and appreciated some of the spoofs of that show and its contestants. But the movie was inconsistent and was "so dumb it was funny." Karie's favorite character was Tony Yalda as Iqbal Riza, Omer's very flamboyant cousin and coach for the competition.

6* (out of 10) Not being familiar with American Idol (or any reality show for that matter) I watched it as a straight comedy. Too many plots and characters for its own good, it still delivered me with enough laughs to be able to recommend it, if only mildly.
Last edited by cinemalover on May 8th, 2008, 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

cinemalover

Dreamgirls Review #232

Post by cinemalover »

With the kids still gone on vacation it's party time in the house for us old folks! And what better way to party than by sitting on our backsides while enjoying another recent release....

Date watched:8/9/2007
Title: Dreamgirls Made: 2006
Genre: Musical/Drama Studio: Dreamworks
Format: DVD Extras: Music video, Anamorphic WS, 12 Extended musical numbers.
# of times viewed: First for me, 2nd for Karie.

Stars:
Jamie Foxx--Curtis Taylor, Jr.
Beyonce Knowles--Deena Jones
Eddie Murphy--James "Thunder" Early
Jennifer Hudson--Effie White
Danny Glover--Marty Madison
Anika Noni Rose--Lorell Robinson
Keith Robinson--C.C. White
Sharon Leal--Michelle Morris
Hinton Battle--Wayne
Mariah Wilson--Magic
Yvette Cason--May
Ken Page--Max Washington
Ralph Louis Harris--M.C.

Taglines:
Fame comes and goes, stars rise and fall, but dreams live forever!

All you have to do is dream!

One dream will change everything!

Plot: This is the story of a girl's singing group coming together in the 60's and following their rises and falls, in the industry and personally, into the early 70's. The group has been said to be similar to the story of the Supremes.

We meet the Dreamettes, Effie White (Hudson), Deena Jones (Beyonce) and Lorrel Robinson (Rose), who along with Effie's brother C.C. (Robinson) who writes their songs, are looking desperately for their first big break. They compete in amateur contests in a theatre based on the famous Apollo Theatre. They don't win but they have enough talent to be noticed by agent-wannabe (and used car salesman) Curtis Taylor, Jr. (Foxx). Curtis, who is attracted to Effie, arranges to get them a back up gig with the popular James "Thunder" Early (Murphy). Curtis turns out to be quite the manager (and manipulator) as he molds the girls' image into an acceptable one to appeal to crossover audiences. At that point they break away from their back-up role and strike out on their own. In order to do this though, Curtis has to deliver some shocking news to Effie, who is by far the most talented voice and with whom Curtis is involved. Unfortunately, Effie doesn't have "the look" that Curtis needs to drive the group's success.

Effie, "So....Deena's going to sing lead 'cause you like the way she looks? Am I ugly to you Curtis?"
Curtis, "Baby, come on. You know how I feel about you, come on. Don't make it personal!"
Effie, "Well, what am I supposed to do? Deena's beautiful but I've got the voice, Curtis! I've got the voice! You can't put me in back, you just can't!"

Effie sticks around but her attitude makes everyone’s life miserable. Finally when she is constantly late and then doesn't show up for rehearsals Curtis has to replace her with Magic (Wilson). Effie's life goes downhill from there. Also, Effie was pregnant with Curtis' child, and she never lets him know. We then follow the Dreams (the dropped the "ettes" when they made the big time) and Deena's rising fame. Curtis continues to be a dominant manipulator and as rich and successful as they all become they are not happy. While the Dreams are miserable, Effie slowly resurrects her life and career.

There are some incredible songs in this movie. There is a ton of talent. Eddie Murphy gives one of the best performances of his career as we see Jimmy Early at the top of his profession and on the downslide into obscurity. He was justifiably nominated for his performance by the Academy. Jennifer Hudson is INCREDIBLE! This was her first acting job, which she handles quite well, but her voice is a show-stopper! Beyonce looks outstanding as Deena Jones (and does resemble a young Diana Ross at times) her acting abilities are adequate but she's not ready to carry a movie. Jamie Foxx does well as the self-made, self-important Curtis, who puts his ability to mange above the talent he manages.

In a lot of ways this was the tale of two movies for me. The first half was absolutely spellbinding. I could not turn away I was so immersed into the world created by the movie. The rise of the Dreamettes and their trials and tribulations could not have been better done. And then there's the second half of the film. The movie seems to take a sudden and inexplicable left turn into melodramatic mediocrity. We start to experience a few "songs" that are not the singers performing but the actors advancing the plot with singing dialogue. It is not well integrated into the film. It just pops up and feels completely out of place and out of sync with the pacing of the film. It stands out like a hobo on Rodeo Drive.

Karie's beautiful-new-bride meter 9* (out of 10) Karie had seen this in the theatre and absolutely loves it. She has a voice herself and truly appreciates the vocal talents in the movie. Big time thumbs up!

6* (out of 10) As I mentioned earlier, for me it was two different movies. The first half was a solid 9, I loved it and was completely absorbed in the tale. I'd have to give the second half of the movie a 3, very disappointing after the fantastic start. The two halves are poorly integrated and the deteriorating second half left a poor taste in my mouth. I loved Jennifer Hudson and Eddie Murphy though, outstanding work on their parts.
Last edited by cinemalover on May 8th, 2008, 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

cinemalover

Confessions of Boston Blackie Review #233

Post by cinemalover »

Date watched:8/10/2007
Title: Confessions of Boston Blackie Made: 1941
Genre: Detective Studio: Columbia

Stars:
Chester Morris--Boston Blackie
Harriet Hilliard--Diane Parrish
Richard Lane--Inspector Farraday
George E. Stone--The Runt
Lloyd Corrigan--Arthur Manleder
Joan Woodbury--Mona
Walter Sande--Detective Mathews
Ralph Theodore--Joe Buchanan
Kenneth MacDonald--Caulder
Walter Soderling--Eric Allison

Tagline: Blackie's blackmailed by a female....and nearly blacked out by killers!

This is the second in the series of Boston Blackie films with Chester Morris as the reformed safe-cracker who is always suspected of reverting to his former illegal activities.

Plot: During an art auction Mr. Allison, an art dealer, is murdered. Since Blackie (Morris) was in attendance he naturally becomes Inspector Farraday's (Lane) prime suspect. Blackie was only at the auction to advise his rich friend, Arthur Manleder (Corrigan), on art values. Blackie and Farraday have a love/hate relationship that goes way back.

Farraday, "I wouldn't trust you as far as I could throw one of those statues!"
Blackie, "Those lousy cigars you smoke are ruining your wind!"

Unfortunately for Inspector Farraday the body disappears while he is concentrating on taking Blackie into custody. Blackie is now in the position of having to find the body to prove that it is not his bullet that killed the victim. His investigation uncovers a fraudulent art ring that has been copying works of art to substitute the fakes and steal the authentics. One of their targets was a valuable statue that was put up for auction by Diane Parrish (Harriet Hilliard, who would soon gain much more fame as Ozzie Nelson's wife and half of the popular Ozzie and Harriet Show).

As usual Farrady spends the entire movie chasing Blackie and trying to prove his guilt while Blackie ferrets out the truth. Farraday's progress is generally slowed by his inept assistant, Detective Mathews (Sande).

Farrady to Mathews, "If you've got something to say....just don't say it!"

7* (out of 10) The wise-crackin' Blackie is played with a wink and a grin by the very capable Chester Morris. This was the first time that George E. Stone took over the role of the Runt and didn't have a lot to do. His part would pick up in future installments. Blackie literally "cracks open" the case to discover where the body was hiding.
Last edited by cinemalover on May 8th, 2008, 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

cinemalover

The Satan Bug Review #234

Post by cinemalover »

Date watched:8/11/2007
Title: The Satan Bug Made: 1965
Genre: Thriller Studio: United Artists

Director: John Sturges
Stars:
George (Route 66) Maharis--Lee Barrett
Richard (Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea...and I can't get out of my contract!) Basehart--Dr. Gregor Hoffman
Anne (Honey West) Francis--Ann Williams
Ed (Mary Tyler Moore Show) Asner--Verettii
Dana (Playhouse 90) Andrews--General Williams
John Larkin--Dr. Leonard Michaelson
Richard Bull--Eric Cavanaugh
Frank Sutton--Donald
Simon Oakland--Tasserly
John Anderson--Agent Reagan
John Clarke--Lt. Raskin

Score: Jerry (The Man From U.N.C.L.E.) Goldsmith

Tagline: The price for uncovering the secret of the Satan Bug comes high--your life!

Plot: There is a top secret, high security government facility in the dessert where Dr. Gregor Hoffman (Basehart) and his team are experimenting with some very deadly viruses. Very few people would have ever known of the existence of this laboratory or its contents until evil forces decided to break into the facility and steal the virus.

Lee Barrett (Maharis) is assigned to investigate. At first no one realizes what has been stolen, he is only investigating the death of one of the scientists. Dr. Hoffman explains the importance of what has been stolen: "To this virus we have given a very unscientific name, but one which describes it perfectly, the Satan Bug. If I took the vials that contain it and expose it to the air, everyone here would be dead in two seconds. California would be a tomb in a few hours, in a week all life, and I mean ALL life would cease in the United States. In two months, two months at the most, the trapper in Alaska, the peasant on the Yang Sea, the Aborigine in Australia....all dead...because I crushed the flask and exposed the green liquid to the air. Nothing, NOTHING, can stop the Satan Bug!"

The movie does a wonderful job of setting up a very tense, suspenseful situation for our hero to navigate. Lee Barrett tries to deduce how intruders were able to enter a high security location.
Barrett to guard, "What's the sentry dog doin' over there?"
Guard, "He's got a lump on his head that wasn't there yesterday."
Barrett, "But he was still on patrol this morning?"
Guard, "Uh-huh. I think he might have been knocked cold for a while. Of course, being a dog, he couldn't tell me about it, he just went back to work."

I love the line about the dog just going back to work.

As the story plays out we get a heavy emphasis on dialogue and a light serving of real action, but this is a thinking thriller. If it were remade today there'd be 85% fights and irritating jump cuts with barely enough dialogue to let you know what's going on.

Maharis in the lead is adequate though not very dynamic. Asner as a henchmen (with hair!) is entertaining and convincingly wicked. Basehart gets to use an accent and "stretch" his acting chops, something he was always upset about not being able to do in his long running role on Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea. Anne Francis looks delicious but is mostly window decoration.

6* (out of 10) Intriguing premise starts out strong but is gasping for air at the finish line. Similar in theory to The Andromeda Strain, but not nearly as well developed.
Last edited by cinemalover on May 8th, 2008, 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

cinemalover

Horse Soldiers Review #235

Post by cinemalover »

Date watched:8/12/2007
Title: Horse Soldiers Made: 1959
Genre: Western Studio: MGM
Format: DVD Extras: Trailer
# of times viewed: 4

Director: John Ford

Stars:
John Wayne--Col. John Marlowe
William Holden--Major Hank Kendall (regimental surgeon)
Constance Towers--Miss Hannah Hunter
Hoot Gipson--Sgt. Brown
Judson Pratt--Sgt. Major Kirby
Ken Curtis--Cpl. Wilkie
Willis Bouchey--Col. Phil Secord
Bing Russell--Dunker
O.Z. Whitehead--Hoppy Hopkins

Tagline: Horse Soldiers....ride where only the great ones go!

Plot: Based on true events during the Civil War (Col. Benjamin Grierson's campaign in 1863). In the movie Col. John Marlowe (Wayne) is assigned to take his troops into the deep south to destroy a rail and supply center at Newton Station. This will help to cripple the south's troop deployment plans via the railroad. The two keys to the mission are to be able to traverse southern territories with minimal contact with the enemy to get to Newton Station and then to get as many of the troops safely home as possible.

On the march to their objective Col. Marlowe has his men bivouac at Miss Hannah Hunter's (Towers) southern plantation. Miss Hunter is there with only a few servants, all the men are off at war. Outwardly, she cooperates and extends southern hospitality to all the troops and especially the officers. But she has her own motives. She manipulates the officers into the study for their planning session so that she can listen to the details through the upstairs stove pipes.

Major Kendall (Holden), the regimental surgeon, had been assigned to keep an eye on her and catches her eavesdropping. Since she has heard their plans they can't leave her behind or she'll relay their plot to the southern soldiers.

Col. Marlowe, "You know something, Miss Hunter? You have put me in quite an inconvenience."
Miss Hunter, "At least I've accomplished something!"
Marlowe, " And I don't suppose I could accept your word of honor not to discuss this with anyone else?"
Miss Hunter, "I don't hold to honor with any Yankee!"
Marlowe, "Exactly, so the whole state of Mississippi will be alerted. So, could you possibly suggest what I should do with you?"
Major Kendall, "I noticed she was getting on your nerves all evening. Now's your chance to shoot her!"
Marlowe, "Oh, Kendall, one more word out of you and I'll..."
Miss Hunter, "Go ahead! Shoot us. Shoot both of us but you'll never get away with the rest of your filthy murdering plan, Mr. Colonel Marlowe!"

So a difficult mission becomes more difficult because the Colonel decides to take Miss Hunter along with them. When they reach Newton Station they are able to accomplish their objectives and the biggest challenge becomes to fight their way back home, through unfriendly territory. They try to leave false clues as to the direction they'll take but the Confederates deduce their true destination and set a trap for them there. This leads to a very exciting finale.

Wayne plays a gruff by-the books officer, but he's given two soft spots to humanize him. In peacetime he constructs train tracks and bridges so it was personally painful to him to have to destroy the same. He also had his wife (and love of his life) killed by unnecessary surgery, which leads to friction between his character and William Holden's Dr. Major Kendall. Kendall is more worried about holding true to his medical oath (including helping with the birth of a slave baby) than following army regulations. The story unfolds between these two mens differing viewpoints.

Director John Ford delivers the goods in an exciting and well-developed tale. The scenery is lovely and the action scenes are well-choreographed. There is one fantastic POV shot from a cannon's perspective as the horse soldiers charge over a bridge and into the mouth of the cannon (so to speak).

8* (out of 10) It had been many years since I had last seen this film and I wasn't disappointed. Wayne and Holden make an intriguing pairing with lots of familiar faces in the background (including a young Ken Curtis who would go on to fame as Festus in Gunsmoke). There is a very touching scene at the end where Colonel Marlowe takes the scarf from Miss Hunter's head and ties it around his neck as he is riding off.
Last edited by cinemalover on May 8th, 2008, 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

cinemalover

Underdog Volume 2 Review #236

Post by cinemalover »

The old television cartoon, Underdog, just had three volumes released on DVD in conjunction with the release of the new Underdog movie. The original cartoon aired starting in 1964 and was a favorite of mine as a kid. Here is the second disc of these recent releases....

Date watched:8/13/2007
Title: Underdog Volume 2: Simon Says....Melt! Made: 1964
Genre: Television Cartoon Studio: Total Television
Format: DVD Extras: Underdog Theme Song Sing-a-Long, Broadcast Promos
# of times viewed: 4 (but first time in almost 40 years)

Voice Stars:
Wally Cox--Underdog/ Shoeshine boy
Norma MacMillan--"Sweet" Polly Purebred
Kenny Delmar--The Hunter/Col. Kit Coyote/ Commander McBragg, etc...
Allan Swift--Simon Bar-Sinister/ Riff-Raff/ Odie, etc...
Ben Stone--Cad/The Fox
Sandy Becker--The Sergeant/Ruffled Feathers, etc...
George S. Irving--Narrator/Running Board
Don Adams--Tennessee Tuxedo
Larry Storch--Phineas J. Whoopee
Bradley Bolke--Chumley

The Underdog Shows were half hour toons that each had two episodes of Underdog surrounding a couple of other toons from their extensive list of supporting characters. The filler toons included Hunter, Gogo Gophers, Klondike Kat, Tennessee Tuxedo, Tooter Turtle and more. A standard Underdog tale was divided into four parts, so a complete tale was told over two episodes.

On this disc 6 Underdog episodes are included which has these three complete Underdog stories:
The Great Gold Robbery
Big Shrink
The Marbleheads

The Great Gold Robbery
Riff Raff and his gang attempt to trap Underdog into letting them steal a trainload of gold. Underdog must choose, in his rhyming way, between saving Sweet Polly or stopping the train robbery.

Big Shrink
Simon Barsinister develops shrinking water which will shrink the Earth's population and leave him a giant in control of the world. He experiments with it to ensure its success by having a squirting flower in his lapel.
Simon to construction worker, "Good afternoon sir....would you like to sniff my flower?"
Construction Worker, "What, are you some kind of character? Can't you see I've got my hands full!?"
Simon, "SIMON SAYS...SNIFF!"
After spritzing the worker with the shrinking water he shrinks to toy size.
Will Underdog be able to put a stop to this dastardly plot, even after he's been shrunk to the "size of a hot dog"?

The Marbleheads
The Marbleheads come from the Planet Granite and with the help of their Granite Gun (which encases the victims in stone) they plan on capturing Earthlings to take back to their planet as slaves.

The words to the Underdog theme:

When in this world the headlines read,
Of those whose hearts are filled with greed,
Who rob and steal from those who need,
To right this wrong with blinding speed,
Goes Underdog! Underdog! Underdog! Underdog!
Speed of lightning, Roar of thunder,
Fighting all who rob or plunder,
Underdog! Underdog! Uuuuuunderdog!

7* (out of 10) A fun toon that has several layers of comedy, many of which will go over the kiddies' heads. Good stuff!
Last edited by cinemalover on May 8th, 2008, 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

cinemalover

Taming of the West Review #237

Post by cinemalover »

Howdy partner, be prepared to duck 'cause the lead is flying and watch where you step...there's a lot of horses on our streets...

Date watched:8/13/2007
Title: Taming of the West Made: 1939
Genre: Western Studio: Columbia
Format: DVD-R Source: Western Channel

Stars:
"Wild" Bill Elliott--Wild Bill Saunders
Iris Meredith--Pepper Jenkins
Dick Curtis--Rawhide
Dub Taylor--Cannonball
James Craig--Handy Klemm
Stanley Brown--Slim
Ethan Allen--Judge Bailey
Kenneth MacDonald--Carp Blaisdale
Victor Wong--Cholly Wong
Charles King--Jackson

Taglines:
Bullets rule the lawless plains...when men fought to the death...and love was only for the brave!

The law reached only as far as his guns could shoot!

Plot: Wild Bill Saunders (Elliott) was merely passing through the town of Helldorado, minding his own business, on his way to other parts. He describes himself as having "jackrabbits" in his boots, which doesn't allow him to settle in one place for very long. He stops off at the Oasis Restaurant for a bite to eat and gets the local scoop from the beautiful owner, Pepper Jenkins (Meredith). On the state of lawlessness in Helldorado:
"There's about as much law here as there is chicken in that soup!"

When the Marshal is shot down right outside the restaurant Wild Bill feels compelled to chase down the guilty party and accepts a temporary position as the Marshal. The townsfolk could obviously tell that he would make a good Marshal because he wears his six-guns handles forward, which means serious business!

This leads to a very exciting fight between bill and the villain atop a cliff. You'll never be able to guess which one goes over the edge!

Having done his good deed, the jackrabbits in his boots start twitching and Bill is ready to move on. He finds himself attracted to Pepper, but not as much as he's attracted to the open plains. As he's pulling out of town he learns that ruffians have killed Pepper's sister when she was driving a wagon to come live with Pepper. That tears it, nobody's gonna mess with the sister of the woman that he's attracted to. He accepts the full-time position of Marshal and goes about cleaning up the desperate town of Helldorado! Bill arrests everyone he can associated with the gangs but when it comes time for their trials all the witnesses are either dead or scared to death and refuse to testify. How is Bill going to clean up this mess?

In his pursuit of evil, Bill uses some intimidating language:
Bill (while holding a gun on the baddies), "Don't make a move or you're a gone goose!"
Those bad boys must have been quivering in their boots.

8* (out of 10) Superior oater. Bill Elliott makes a strong cowboy hero that has the right mixture of toughness and humor. He wasn't working with a sidekick per se, but Dub Taylor as Cannonball was around as a deputy in charge of keeping the jail cells ready to provide a little humor.
Last edited by cinemalover on May 8th, 2008, 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris