MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Bronxgirl48

Re: MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

kingrat wrote: March 29th, 2024, 11:45 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: March 29th, 2024, 11:21 pm Dargo, when I moved to Los Angeles (Hollywood) from San Francisco in 1977, the rent on my one bedroom apartment was $265.00.
Bronxie, maybe you know the opening of Neil Diamond's "I Am I Said":

"L.A.'s fine, the sun shines most of the time,
and the feeling is laid back.
Rents are low, and palm trees grow . . . ."

In 2024 rents are not low in L.A. or just about anywhere else in California.
]

kingrat, I can only imagine what that Hollywood apartment goes for these days.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Fedya wrote: March 30th, 2024, 7:03 am
Bronxgirl48 wrote: March 29th, 2024, 11:03 pm Oh yeah, I forgot about Tab Hunter....interesting casting all around.

As for San Francico, unfortunately by the time I got there in the early 1970's, it was hippie-scruffy, no elegance at all. That's why I feel sad when watching VERTIGO, GUESS WHO'S COMING TO DINNER or PAL JOEY. Heck, even 1968's YOURS, MINE AND OURS showed a city still "old-school".
Even though there are some jokes about birth control and the like, Yours, Mine, and Ours is at heart an extremely square movie, unlike a bunch of other late 60s "generation gap" movies trying to be hip and failing badly. I recently mentioned having seen Doctor, You've Got to Be Kidding, which is a good example of the genre. Others I'd add would be things like Bob Hope in I'll Take Sweden or everybody in Marriage on the Rocks.

I will also add HOW SWEET IT IS! to that awful gen-gap sub genre. Oh, God, I'LL TAKE SWEDEN, lol. (although I do like Frankie Avalon singing "I'll take Sweden, ya, ya, ya!") Lovely Dina Merrill has one of the worst Scandinavian accents ever. Jeremy Slate too. All those movies are just so BAD.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

HoldenIsHere wrote: March 30th, 2024, 12:55 am
Bronxgirl48 wrote: March 29th, 2024, 10:40 pm Yeah, I guess GC would qualify as a guilty pleasure for me....even if I don't really think of it as such....(that would be something like BELA LUGOSI MEETS A BROOKLYN GORILLA -- yes, it's a real movie)

I've got DIVORCE AMERICAN STYLE on, mainly because I'm waiting for WHAT'S THE MATTER WITH HELEN? which follows -- it's one of my favorite Reynolds' roles and performances.

It looks like GOODBYE CHARLIE didn't make it to Watch TCM so it doesn't look like I'm going to get to see it tonight as I hoped.
Maybe I'll rent it one day if the price is right.

Bronxgirl, I also love WHAT'S THE MATTER WITH HELEN? although I do feel bad for the rabbits.
If it's on Watch TCM, I'd love to share it with the sweetie and see the reaction to the ending with Shelley Winters playing the piano.

GOODBYE CHARLIE is worth seeing but around here I'm the only person who thinks so, lol.

Oh, yes, Helen and her bunnies. Poor creatures. Not "goodie-goodie" for them.

Love Debbie's dancing!
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Dargo, I miss Duke Mitchell and Sammy Petrillo more than Martin and Lewis.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: March 30th, 2024, 5:53 pm ...Oh, God, I'LL TAKE SWEDEN, lol. (although I do like Frankie Avalon singing "I'll take Sweden, ya, ya, ya!") Lovely Dina Merrill has one of the worst Scandinavian accents ever. Jeremy Slate too. All those movies are just so BAD.
Betcha didn't know that this is Vlad Putin's favorite movie title, did ya Bronxie?!

Oh wait. Never mind.

Now that I think about this, it's actually 'I'll Take Finland'.

(...sorry 'bout that)
Last edited by Dargo on March 30th, 2024, 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Never apologize, mister. It's a sign of weakness.

Putin's favorite score might just be the rousing martial music from Hitch's TOPAZ.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

I didn't change the channel after the ABC nightly news -- and THE TEN COMMANDMENTS just came on.

Cecil B. DeMille was always a lousy director.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

"Moses! Moses! You stubborn, splendid, glorious fool!"
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: March 30th, 2024, 6:12 pm Never apologize, mister. It's a sign of weakness.

Putin's favorite score might just be the rousing martial music from Hitch's TOPAZ.
(...must now try my best to not reply with, "You're Putin me on here!"...been used MUCH too many times already...no originally at all)

Eeh, as I'm sure you've noticed after all these many years here Bronxie, MY weaknesses are SO bountiful and transparent that tryin' to keep 'em hidden from others would be a full time job in itself!

And so I really don't care about that kind'a thing anymore.

(...MUCH too taxing on his old soul of mine here if I did) ;)
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: March 30th, 2024, 6:21 pm "Moses! Moses! You stubborn, splendid, glorious fool!"
Yep, and then there's always...

"M-yeah! M-yeah! Where's your Moses NOW, see?! Where's your messiah NOOOOW, see?!"

(...sorry...once again...but I'll NEVER get that old Billy Crystal routine outta my head)
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Dargo wrote: March 30th, 2024, 6:28 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: March 30th, 2024, 6:12 pm Never apologize, mister. It's a sign of weakness.

(...must now try my best to not reply with, "You're Putin me on here!"...been used MUCH too many times already...no originally at all)

Eeh, as I'm sure you've noticed after all these many years here Bronxie, MY weaknesses are SO bountiful and transparent that tryin' to keep 'em hidden from others would be a full time job in itself!

And so I really don't care about that kind'a thing anymore.

(...MUCH too taxing on his old soul of mine here if I did) ;)

I hope you know I was quoting Nathan Brittles (John Wayne) from SHE WORE A YELLOW RIBBON. "Never apologize, mister, it's a sign of weakness". I had the Ford Cavalry trilogy on my mind since TCM just ran FORT APACHE.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

AND speakin' o' which...the Eddie G. thing, that is.

So Bronxie, have I ever told the story about the time I first took my then future wife to meet my parents? Well, it happened to be on a Easter Sunday (1984, I think it was) and after dinner we all sat down to watch this DeMille film on ABC.

Now during this, I started doing Billy Crystal's take on Eddie G. in this movie AND mimicing that line of Anne Baxter's you posted here. The following was what then took place:

Mom: "Why are you making fun of this movie? THIS is one of the GREATEST movies ever made!"

Me: "Oh, c'mon, Mom! Can't you see how schmaltlzy and over-the-top this movie is? (I then looked at my future wife seated next to me and gave her a wink, although her reaction was more like she didn't know how to react)

Mom: "WELL! No I DON'T, and if YOU think this great classic movie is, Mr. Smarty Pants, then you're WRONG!"

Me: "C'mon Mom! Can't you see...." (this was when said future wife squeezed my thigh and gave me a slow and subtle shake of her head)

I then wisely dropped the subject.

(...aah yes, just another wonderful holiday memory at the Argo homestead...although still a funny one in my book, anyway)
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: March 30th, 2024, 7:01 pm
I hope you know I was quoting Nathan Brittles (John Wayne) from SHE WORE A YELLOW RIBBON. "Never apologize, mister, it's a sign of weakness". I had the Ford Cavalry trilogy on my mind since TCM just ran FORT APACHE.
Oh yeah! I sure DO. It's when Harry Carey Jr. and Joanne Dru (she with that very sexy overbite, and second only to Gene Tierney's) are returning to the fort on that buckboard wagon and after they had gone picnicking.

In fact, just the other day I quoted this Big Duke line (and did my John Wayne impression) while making a point to a friend about how this sentiment and M.O. is also constantly used by a certain guy who's been making a fool of himself in the world of politics these past seven or eight years.

(...and I assume you know who I mean here, don't ya) ;)
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

My mom and yours would have been great friends....

"Picnicking, Mr. Pennell??"

Let me try and guess that politician....is it Millard Fillmore?
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: March 30th, 2024, 7:31 pm My mom and yours would have been great friends....

"Picnicking, Mr. Pennell??"

Let me try and guess that politician....is it Millard Fillmore?
LOL

Yeah, that's him, "alright"! Good ol' Millard! ;)

(...btw, I've always thought the sound of his name is somehow the funniest sounding one of all the presidents)