WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Chit-chat, current events
charliechaplinfan

Re: WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Thanks ChiO, I knew you'd fill in the gaps. I feel March's character was so grotesque that it must have some grounding in the actual person. I'll remember it as a Stanley Kramer special, I'm sure I'll watch it again one day.

I've just finished watching a really haunting and original piece of cinema. Melville's La Silence De La Mer, it just drew me right in. I admit to wavering a bit with it at first because the lead actor playing a German officer who is billetted with a French family during the war reminded me of Boris Karloff. Realising that it probably wasn't intentional I had to try and switch off all references to Karloff, once I'd mastered that I was fine. The officer is billetted with a dignified Frenchman and his niece, they don't speak to the German officer yet every night he comes down into the living room and talks to them of his feelings, he admires the niece, he speaks of art and music and the greatness of the two countries. Never do they speak, the uncle realising they are stupid but powerless to stop. When the officer goes away to visit Paris his illusions are shattered, he expected France to be great again with Germany's help, he niavely believed that Germany would make Europe great again, all it needed was the cooperation of nations. He hadn't recognised the brutality and power hungry traits of his fellow countrymen until he met them in Paris and was told about the death camps and saw his fellow officers rejoicing in the continued humiliation and defeat of France. On returning to his lodgings he tells his hosts about his dissappointment and his decision to join the fighting and probably eventual death. His illusions shattered he doesn't care what happens to him, his only comfort is the niece who whispers 'adieu' to him. It's beautifully filmed, very thought provoking, it doesn't have a wasted moment, it's a lovely film.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I love Ivanhoe - I agree with everything said, except I think it wouldn't matter who played Rowena, she would disappear with Elizabeth Taylor on the screen.

I have never cared for Gregory Peck, except in TKAM, Roman Holiday, The Yearling and The Great Sinner. In each of those, he is marvelous. I only discovered The Great Sinner a couple of months ago, along with Keys of the Kingdom. Both are very interesting movies.
feaito

Post by feaito »

JackFavell wrote:I love Ivanhoe - I agree with everything said, except I think it wouldn't matter who played Rowena, she would disappear with Elizabeth Taylor on the screen.
And If Rowena would have been played by Ava Gardner for instance? There's competition!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Well, you got me there! :D :D
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

If Ava Gardner had been Rowena, Bobby wouldn't have gone on a crusade!!!!
charliechaplinfan

Ava's definite competition for Elizabeth Taylor. I've never seen Ivanhoe another one to add onto the rental list. I've just added on some Gregory Peck films too.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I'm really not much for fifties costumers, but Ivanhoe I can't resist. It really delivers!
charliechaplinfan

I feel the same as you but if you like it I'm willing to give it a go.

I've been watching some Claudette Colbert movies that Fernando kindly sent me. Arise My Love (crumbs, I missed the i out at first, it gave a whole new meaning to the title) anyway back to the movie.

I really loved it, the opening is a real smacker, I never realised Ray Milland had been so handsome once upon a time and so suave until I saw The Major and The Minor, he's great here with Claudette Colbert who is an ace reporter here. Milland plays a fighter pilot about to be executed. Claudette rescues him to get a good story but somewhere along the way they fall in love but it's oh so complicated because she has her career and he has his cause. It's a little long but bumps along really well. I believe that this was Claudette's favorite film. The ending is pretty perfect.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Alison, watch Ivanhoe for sure. I fell in love with George Sanders, couldn't understand Liz's reasoning (the first time I saw the movie I think I was about 13 or so....) Gorgeous color, costumes, good story line, Robert Taylor does not overact, the only dud is Joan Fontaine, but keep your eyes focused on George, and you won't care!!!!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

OK, knitty. You and I are way too alike now for comfort... are you sure you're not me?

Poor Sir Brian de Bois-Guilbert!
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

He was never lovelier! and that voice! I still get goosebumps when I hear his voice.
charliechaplinfan

Right, I'll look out for it :wink:
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

"So Ends Our Night."

I'm not quite sure what to make of it. It's a good love story that is occasionally interrupted by the story of Fredric March playing an escapee from a concentration camp. It feels like there are two movies fighting for control when either would have been fine on their own. As much as I thought March's line was more compelling he seems little more than a marginal part.

Some of the story's points seem out of place. When Sullavan, Ford and March all meet up in France I don't recall that Sullavan and March met before but they greet like old friends. Earlier Ford is in jail and from the looks of the wall it has been some time. The next thing you know he is in the post office looking for Sullavan who happens to be standing over in the corner.

Frances Dee is gone by the 15 minute mark and one scene and not be heard from again until the end. Anyone else may not have received a credit.

Good cast includes, seemingly, every East European actor in Hollywood.

Just for the record the DVD that came from Netflix though restored looked bad and sounded worse. Maybe it was too annoying.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Wow! You aren't kidding about the neverending cast of Eastern Europeans! It's to bad, Cromwell was a good director, and the script was by Erich Maria Remarque and Talbot Jennings, who did a few good screenplays early on in his career.
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

JackFavell wrote:I have never cared for Gregory Peck, except in TKAM, Roman Holiday, The Yearling and The Great Sinner. In each of those, he is marvelous. I only discovered The Great Sinner a couple of months ago, along with Keys of the Kingdom. Both are very interesting movies.

A western fan like yourself would enjoy The Gunfighter (1950) and one of my personal favorites, The Bravados (1958).
Last edited by Mr. Arkadin on August 6th, 2010, 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.