'Round the World Weather Report

Chit-chat, current events
knitwit45

Re: 'Round the World Weather Report

Post by knitwit45 »

we really got slammed with snow, but today the sun is shining, even though our high will only be around 30. These sunny days and freezing nights make the roads treacherous, but that's winter in KC. Birdy, I'm so glad to hear your Dad was dressed as Santa, and you all had a wonderful Christmas Eve. Sounds like the flu bug was polite enough to wait until after the family gathering...but I'm sorry it picked on you!!!!
rohanaka

Post by rohanaka »

knitwit45 wrote:These sunny days and freezing nights make the roads treacherous, but that's winter in KC
Hiya Neighbor Nancy.... I bet we got about 8 or 9 inches at least the other day.. but it is hard to tell since the wind blew it around so much. How do our totals on the KC, MO side match up to you folks over yonder on the OTHER side of the old state line??? (We visited my oldest stepson yesterday afternoon and he lives about 15 mile north of your area... they looked to have gotten pretty close to what we got... but his neighorhood was not NEARLY so well plowed out as ours was... so it is hard to tell. He may have gotten a bit more.

And you are right, melting snow refreezing makes a BIG mess... but even if a road HAS been plowed... it's the HUGE piles that take forever to melt that cause trouble too, isn't it??? They trickle down in the sunlight and make a nice WATER puddle... and then it all freezes over again. UGH...

My poor husband spent a couple of hours on Friday... and then a couple more early Sunday morning before church out there just shoveling and shoveling to get the driveway cleared... and then after that... he cleared a path on the back deck for our dog and I bet the pile of snow just from that bit of shoveling out back is almost 4 feet high.

And I went to Walmart earlier today.. and the parking lot piles there where they pushed the snow out of the way... OH ME.. those will take forever to melt off. BLECH. Now don't get me wrong.... I ENJOYED a white Christmas... but enough is enough, already.. ha. :roll:
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Ro, there are 4-5 foot piles of snow on either side of the driveway...courtesy of my sons. I ventured out yesterday, and the really dangerous part of being in a car yesterday was the folks who have to pull out almost to the street, just to see if there is oncoming traffic. We just aren't used to this amount of snow, and it seems like the older folks are a lot more cautious than the younger ones. My age is showing! I hear we're due for more snow on Weds...ugh is right! I don't know how or why people up north and over to the east deal with this kind of weather every winter.

Have you ever noticed, it's "DOWN South, UP North, BACK East, and OUT West". Wonder how that all got started?

Stay Warm!!!!!!
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

It's a mess everywhere and we are only little more than a week into winter.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
rohanaka

Post by rohanaka »

knitwit45 wrote:I hear we're due for more snow on Weds...ugh is right! I don't know how or why people up north and over to the east deal with this kind of weather every winter.
Yes... I had heard that. I have not heard how much we are supposed to get.... it's late... and I am afraid to look outside...ha. UGH,indeed..ha. And I'll add in a BLECH and outright YICK for good measure! (ha)
knitwit45 wrote:Have you ever noticed, it's "DOWN South, UP North, BACK East, and OUT West". Wonder how that all got started?
Ha... Your guess is as good as mine, but it does seem to always go that way.
knitwit45 wrote:Stay Warm!!!!!!
You too, young'un. Bundle up, batten down the hatches, hunker down, etc, etc, etc. (Exactly how DOES one "hunker" anyway?? ha) :D

PS: Chris, you are right... it is rotten almost everywhere... except maybe for the folks WAY out west and in Florida, maybe. That's why they call it winter. ha. But I think I will stay where I am... I am too set in my ways to try and escape to warmer climes now... I wouldn't know how to act if I didn't have SOME weather related THING going on at least every couple of weeks or so.... When it comes to the weather, life in the midwest is RARELY ever boring, ha. :lol:
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

Nancy and Ro ,
I'm counting on you to hold all that back from Illinois. I'm sick (cough) and just don't need this.

(Chio is on his own - Chicago has its own climate!)
Birdy
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

I'm doing my part! How about you, Ro? Although actually I wouldn't mind seeing it move somewhere else. Do we know anyone in South Dakota????? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

It's slow raining in the City of Angels and has been since early, early this morning.

Kind of nice, not too cold but it should be nice and sunny and warm on Friday. Why? The Tournament of Roses parade will be held and it is a rare exception that the weather is not picture perfect so that the rest of America can say "it looks so much warmer and prettier there. Hmmm....."
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

rohanaka

Post by rohanaka »

knitwit45 wrote:I'm doing my part! How about you, Ro? Although actually I wouldn't mind seeing it move somewhere else. Do we know anyone in South Dakota????? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ha... well.. I don't know ANYONE there... but maybe if we sent it to the Dakota's.. ha. They maybe are so used to snow they won't notice a few extra inches.. ha.

As for doing my part... about the best I can do is hold a good thought for you Birdie. If it is any consolation, at least we did not get TOO dumped on last night. (maybe just under 2 inches?) So maybe if it does come your way, it won't be too bad. Hope you are feeling better soon.

The kidling (she's almost 7) and I DID enjoy that it was at least a little warmer out there today, though. It has been too cold to spend much time outside for very long, but today it was not too bad. We have a VERY large yard and we spent a good part of the afternoon out traipsing around in the snow, chasing squirrel tracks and giving our dog a good time as well. (he followed us around EVERYWHERE until he got huge snow balls caught in his fat furry cocker spaniel feet. ha. By then we were MORE than ready to come in and do the whole Hot chocolate thing... and then I made homemade chicken noodle soup for supper... at least with the winter weather you get that full benefit from that whole COMFORT food thing, ha.

PS Ms Cutter... ENJOY the roses! :D
Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

It's snowing in NYC, started in time for the morning commute, and it's sticking.

Thank goodness we have only a half-day at work today.

I won't be doing anything for the new year holiday (had wanted to go to the movies) except getting myself home as safely as possible.

If the conditions are better later in this holiday weekend, I do want to see Broken Embraces and Me and Orson Welles.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

PT- Hope you got home safe and sound! It snowed like crazy here today! We were not expecting snow, but here it is again. Very pretty but a lot more slippery than the last batch. Luckily, instead of the 20 inches we got last time they settled for a measly 2. It's very fluffy though.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

The weatherlady said last night that we are having the weather Fairbanks Alaska had last week..... :shock:

today is the warmest it will be for the next 5 days, and it hit a balmy 22 degrees F.
Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

Yep, I'm safe! Conditions improved this afternoon, and I was even able to stop at the store on the way home. But the streets will probably ice over tonight and there may be more snow. I feel bad for the people going to Times Square. . . .
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

Only a little splattering of snowy stuff and cold, cold, cold. Thanks so much to those west of me for holding it back! I'll be staying in tonight with my box of kleenex and a couple of movies.
B
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Miss Birdy, I hope the new year finds you much, much better!