Ben Johnson

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
pvitari

Re: Ben Johnson

Post by pvitari »

I am not a fan of facial hair, even on Ben Johnson. I can go with some manly stubble but more than that... no thanks.

JackFavell, I absolutely LOVE your avatar from The Kiss Burglar and now I'm dying to see that movie. I tried to look it up on IMDB and Silent Era but couldn't find it. :( OMG, Fay Bainter! Who knew? :)

Do you have a bigger version of that photo? I'd love to get it.

Manly stubble :)
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Whew! Oh baby!

The avatar photo actually came from a stage play Fay was in, not a movie. :( :( :( :( :( I wish I could have seen it.

Here's a bigger version:

Doesn't the gent look like John Dehner?
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Actually for a second looking at the smaller version of the photo, I was thinking Conrad Veidt.

That must have been SOME stage play. Wish they'd done a movie version. :)

I will never look at Fay Bainter the same way again! ;)

Knew you'd like that Shane photo. :)
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Well, I'm still looking for an original vintage photo of this picture, but for now what I have seems to be a page cut from a book, or some other kind of reproduction, which someone pasted to a piece of cardboard -- thus causing ripples in the paper. But it still looks pretty nice. ;) And it is signed by Ben. :) The eBay vendor acquired it at an estate sale.

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I've never seen that one as a real honest to goodness photo either. I think there's one with Dobe airbrushed out, or maybe it's just another photo from that same shoot.
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

JackFavell, is this the one you're thinking of? I don't have it as a photo -- my version is a postcard. ;)

This one with Ben and Dobe I do have as an original vintage keybook photo, pasted to a linen backing.

Both these photos are at my Ben page where larger versions can be downloaded. :)
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

No, I swear it's the one with Dobe, but without Dobe actually in it....if that makes any sense. You can see the curls on the side of his face and it's definitely more in profile. He does have the rope in the one I'm thinking of. I think they might have doctored it up.

I just went to look for it and I can't find it. I think I dreamed it up. :D
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

TV Alert! Encores Westerns Channel is finally going to broadcast Ben's third (and best) Bonanza episode, "Top Hand," on December 11 at 7:05 p.m.

http://www.starz.com/series/BonanzaLost ... 116TopHand

Encore has started airing later season episodes, which have not been seen on TV since 2004, under the label "The Lost Episodes."

More info:

http://www.examiner.com/article/bonanza ... westerns-1

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oh man! I REALLY wish I got Encore Westerns... this is my favorite Ben guest appearance ever. He's just super in it, and gets to do some lovely stunts, as you can see from Paula's caps. It's a great episode.
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

I will be happy to make a DVD copy of "Top Hand" for anyone who wants one. JackFavell, one copy -- check! ;)

The fifth season of Bonanza will be out on DVD in February, and Ben's second ("The Deserter") and third ("Top Hand") appearances on the show were in the eighth and twelfth seasons, respectively. So alas we have some time to wait for those DVDs to come out -- but it might not be TOO long. Starting with the third season, looks like they've been releasing the seasons every six months or so.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Thanks Paula!
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

This is a candid shot of Ben I got from ebay. Presumably taken at a film festival. Someone wrote on the back "8/95" so we know the date.

Is it just me or is that exactly the same expression from that Mighty Joe Young publicity shot from 46 years ago? Almost smiling, not quite, with a half-mischevious/half-wary look in his eyes?

Some things never change. :)
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I love his shirt!
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

I love his shirt!
It looks like a Roper shirt. The company was a sponsor of his Pro-Celebrity rodeos and he appeared in ads for the shirts.
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Here's a picture of Ben with Dirk Blocker, Dan Blocker's son. Dirk is also an actor and he played Eastern newspaper reporter Walter Fenster in the two 90s Bonanza TV-movies Ben appeared in, Bonanza: The Return and Bonanza: Under Attack. This is a new print made from a vintage slide.