OBITUARIES

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Marysara1

Re: OBITUARIES

Post by Marysara1 »

Andree

Post by Andree »

Now no come on down jokes. Too bad Bob missed hitting the 100 year mark. I knew he was pretty old, but
didn't realize he was 99. I just happened to see Bob as a celebrity guest on a rerun of Match Game '78 recently.
He bantered with Gene about being game show hosts and got off some good lines. R.I.P.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

Andree wrote: August 26th, 2023, 5:46 pm Now no come on down jokes. Too bad Bob missed hitting the 100 year mark. I knew he was pretty old, but
didn't realize he was 99. I just happened to see Bob as a celebrity guest on a rerun of Match Game '78 recently.
He bantered with Gene about being game show hosts and got off some good lines. R.I.P.
Read recently where TPIR has moved from its home since 1972 (Studio 33, named the Bob Barker Studio since 1998, at CBS Television City) to Glendale. It's also where Carol Burnett did her variety show in the 60s and 70s. CBS sold and leased back Television City a few years ago.

I also (barely) remember Bob hosting Truth or Consequences, a carryover show from radio days. Both game shows overlapped for a few years, so Bob was a busy man in the early- to mid-1970s. Barker hosted the show from 1956 to 1975, in both NBC network versions and the syndiated show than ran after NBC cancelled it.
Andree

Post by Andree »

txfilmfan wrote: August 26th, 2023, 10:31 pm

Read recently where TPIR has moved from its home since 1972 (Studio 33, named the Bob Barker Studio since 1998, at CBS Television City) to Glendale. It's also where Carol Burnett did her variety show in the 60s and 70s. CBS sold and leased back Television City a few years ago.

I also (barely) remember Bob hosting Truth or Consequences, a carryover show from radio days. Both game shows overlapped for a few years, so Bob was a busy man in the early- to mid-1970s. Barker hosted the show from 1956 to 1975, in both NBC network versions and the syndiated show than ran after NBC cancelled it.
Interesting. I haven't watched TPIR in eons. I also don't remember TOC that much. I do remember the
mid to late 1960s version of Match Game. The questions were more bland and less risque than in later versions.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

Marysara1 wrote: August 23rd, 2023, 2:58 am https://www.msn.com/en-us/entertainment ... 51b&ei=135 David Jacobs
Knots Landing is one of my favorite TV series of all-time, so I am very sad to hear about his passing. He created one spectacular and (save a few bad episodes in 1988 and 1991) an amazingly almost consistantly good series that ran for 14 years.
KayFrancis

Post by KayFrancis »

Sad about David Jacobs passing. Knots was also one of my all time favorite tv shows. The stars of Knots Landing said so many wonderful things about David Jacobs, personally and professionally. I think I saw every episode of Knots during it's 14 year run. David Jacobs was a talented writer, he will be missed. Thank you David Jacobs for the many enjoyable hours of great tv.

RIP
David Jacobs
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

One of the "Up" documentary series kids has passed away. Nicholas Hitchon was born and raised in a rural environment in Yorkshire, educated in a one-room school, and went on to earn a Ph.D. He moved to the U.S. shortly thereafter and had remained here since. He was younger than his documentary cohorts, being not quite 7 in the first installment. He was 65.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/28/movi ... -dead.html
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

Thanks for posting that TX.

I am the same age as the 7Ups and have been intrigued & followed the series since discovering it in my teens.

As a former teacher, found it fascinating how much of our personalities are already developed by grade school, the point of the series at the beginning. I also think our parent's social status greatly influences our direction.
Back then people didn't move around as much as they do now and kids generally grew up "together", making the 7Ups an easier societal study than today.

Nicholas was a fabulous contribution to this illustration of human development, with it's myriad combination of influences and the distinct personalities that form each individual life. So brief.

ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

:(
was "mr6666" @ TCM
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

Gayle Hunnicutt of the 60s films The Wild Angels and Marlowe has passed away....

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/obituaries/ ... n-jenkins/
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

She had a promising start in films in the late 60s but her movie career never really went anywhere. A striking beauty. I've seen several of her films (Eye of the Cat and Marlowe) from that time.
LiamCasey

Post by LiamCasey »

Hadn't heard this news earlier. Her The Legend of Hell House (1973) is one of my favorites.
Masha

Post by Masha »

Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

What a long long career McCallum had.

His first film credit goes all the way back to 1957 and he was still working steadily right up the end here. That's 66 years in the Biz. Impressive.

(...can't think of many if any other actors who this could be said of)
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

ILLYA!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He was such a heartthrob with teenage girls in the 60s. Yes, a VERY long career. I remember seeing him in some J.D. flick from England in the 50s on TCM awhile ago. Worked for many more decades.